Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C Class (W205)
Retrofit CarPlay in W205 >

Retrofit CarPlay in W205

Notices
C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Retrofit CarPlay in W205

 
Old 03-02-2016, 11:31 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 130
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Exclamation Retrofit CarPlay in W205

Hello all,

I do not like how all of us who really wanted CarPlay in the W205 are quiet about it after getting their cars. We were sort of tricked into believing that we will be getting it, especially because Mercedes chose to demonstrate CarPlay for the first time in a Mercedes in a W205 in the video below.

I don't know exactly how many people were enthusiastic about CarPlay in the C-Class. I can just talk about the few owners I saw in this forum and myself. I am extremely disappointed because CarPlay was one of the main features that grabbed my attention. What forced me to make this post is that I recently saw that CarPlay is being offered in the A-Class, B-Class, and others, and surprisingly the outgoing E-Class.

I am certain that Daimler can find a solution to this and retrofit CarPlay for W205 owners. We cannot stay quiet about this and eat it up. Let us bring attention to Daimler so that we put an end to the waiting and miscommunication about CarPlay.

c200amgline is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by c200amgline:
Haptic (04-12-2017), Matthew G (04-07-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 12:41 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Zand3rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 219
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG C63S, Lamborghini Gallardo, 2016, A-class 180
You got my vote.
Zand3rs is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:01 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
LateC300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North San Diego, CA
Posts: 337
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300
many threads have been started about this, one person is even going legal about it

definitely disappointed myself
LateC300 is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:24 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Zand3rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 219
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG C63S, Lamborghini Gallardo, 2016, A-class 180
What i do not understand is why they just dont release it since its clearly working?
Zand3rs is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:44 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
DapperStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 613
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by Zand3rs View Post
What i do not understand is why they just dont release it since its clearly working?
Carplay won't be in the C Class until the MY2018 refresh. Sad because the GLA/CLA and older W212 E Class now have it, along with the GLE and GLE Coupe. MB has provided no explanation except that it won't show up in the new C coupe or Cabriolet either.

Last edited by DapperStyle; 03-02-2016 at 02:51 PM.
DapperStyle is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:51 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 130
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Originally Posted by LateC300 View Post
many threads have been started about this, one person is even going legal about it

definitely disappointed myself
I have definitely seen all the threads. I am made this so that Daimler see it. We're all disappointed.
c200amgline is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:52 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 130
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Originally Posted by Zand3rs View Post
What i do not understand is why they just dont release it since its clearly working?
Exactly. I really want to know why they retracted releasing it in the C-Class, the first car they previewed CarPlay. Thanks for the vote
c200amgline is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Kartergreg (06-11-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 01:54 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Orange County
Posts: 316
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by Zand3rs View Post
What i do not understand is why they just dont release it since its clearly working?
Clearly working in a promo video with prototype equipment doesn't mean it will work on the hardware that is currently in your driveway.
lbowroom is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:54 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 130
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Originally Posted by DapperStyle View Post
Carplay won't be in the C Class until the MY2018 refresh. Sad because the GLA/CLA and older W212 E Class now have it along, with the GLE and GLE Coupe. MB has provided no explanation except that it won't show up in the new C coupe or Cabriolet either.
We all demand an explanation to why CarPlay is not available yet in W205 and why it is available in W212.
c200amgline is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:59 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 130
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Originally Posted by lbowroom View Post
Clearly working in a promo video with prototype equipment doesn't mean it will work on the hardware that is currently in your driveway.
If it does work in the prototype vehicle, which was a couple of months before the start of production, then the same could be implemented in the current cars since it will be minimal change. I know it's not that simple to implement, but I don't like how they are quiet about it in the W205. Either release it as a retrofit now, or tell us why they didn't release it and why they can't retrofit it.
c200amgline is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300, 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite
I was also bought in with CArPlay and later found that it is not supported. My salesman said it will be an update since they showed it in prototype. I want to go legal too. Is there something like change.org where we can raise our opinion till it's been heard?
NewMBC300 is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 10:59 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 496
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 E63S: Former cars 2016 C450, 2013 C350, 2009 C300
Originally Posted by NewMBC300 View Post
I was also bought in with CArPlay and later found that it is not supported. My salesman said it will be an update since they showed it in prototype. I want to go legal too. Is there something like change.org where we can raise our opinion till it's been heard?
I spoke with my attorney again today they are still reviewing the documentation that I sent over the best thing to do is file a class action and hope that it forces them to take action. My attorney said that it would be a federal class action suit which is harder to win but with the documentation I have given so far he feels that we may in deed have a case. To be perfectly clear I don't want money I want to force them to retrofit the cars for free however I feel that this is the only way at this point and if any of y'all come across any additional info that can help please send it in email to [email protected]
cajun1689 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by cajun1689:
Haptic (04-12-2017), MrJayC (04-20-2018)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:10 AM
  #13  
Super Member
 
DBOC205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: BNE, Australia
Posts: 787
Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by cajun1689 View Post
I don't want money.
For your sake I hope your attorney doesn't want any money either

Sorry... not trying to take the wind out your sails if you feel that harshly done by, but why not just vote with you feet? Ditch the Merc and buy from a manufacturer that offers you the features you want.
DBOC205 is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 04:45 AM
  #14  
Member
 
IstvanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016, MB C220 AMG S205 4Matic
Theres more things that they haven't implemented with the C-class. Like the 220d MY16 still has the old 7-speed gearbox. But the GLC with the same engine has the new 9-speed. Don't know why they haven't changed it.. It will probably change for the face-lifted model.

And yes, I'm very disappointed over carplay as well. I'm a big apple and tech-nerd. So I would have loved to have it.
IstvanC is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 AM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Mikey53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 698
Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2016 C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by cajun1689 View Post
I spoke with my attorney again today they are still reviewing the documentation that I sent over the best thing to do is file a class action and hope that it forces them to take action. My attorney said that it would be a federal class action suit which is harder to win but with the documentation I have given so far he feels that we may in deed have a case. To be perfectly clear I don't want money I want to force them to retrofit the cars for free however I feel that this is the only way at this point and if any of y'all come across any additional info that can help please send it in email to [email protected].


I'd suggest calling Bernie Sanders, he's good for telling folks what he will get them for "free".
Mikey53 is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 496
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 E63S: Former cars 2016 C450, 2013 C350, 2009 C300
Originally Posted by Mikey53 View Post
I'd suggest calling Bernie Sanders, he's good for telling folks what he will get them for "free".
It's not free I've already invested a good some of money in attorney fees but if it helps others it will be worth it.
cajun1689 is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
ashap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by cajun1689 View Post
It's not free I've already invested a good some of money in attorney fees but if it helps others it will be worth it.
Firstly, what you're doing is greatly appreciated. When I ordered my 450 in mid-December, I had already known at that point that Carplay wasn't going to be part of the build... but it also wasn't so cut and dry at that point if Mercedes would be eventually retrofitting it or not... so, it obviously wasn't a deal breaker for me that the car wouldn't have it, but I was indeed surprised when I found out at the end of Dec/beginning of Jan, when it officially released that it wasn't coming at all to the C class anytime soon, especially when the CLA has it!

Cajun, if you haven't already, if you want, start an online petition about this. I'd be more than happy to put down my name on it.
ashap is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 12:55 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Orange County
Posts: 316
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C450
So, are you demanding it be retrofit into all versions of C-class? Base model, Burmester Upgrade, and COMAND equipped cars? All free of charge? Isn't there an option price for the vehicles that offer it?
lbowroom is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 04:35 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smart
This is a cross-post from the GLE sub-forum, as some of us over there have 2016 GLEs that were produced days prior to the addition. I think it should get some attention here too. A few of us over there have emailed this contact at Mercedes, and I think we should be collectively vocal about this.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...th-2016-a.html
I'm starting to wonder if there is any one particular person at MB we can email, write to, or call collectively about a retrofit.

I'm speculating that this update is most likely a software one on a specific head-unit that probably hasn't changed between production dates. Probably the only reason MB wouldn't offer such a thing is because not enough owners are vocal about it and if that isn't the reason, we should at least know why.


Edit:

Looking at the original CarPlay notice, it looks like this might be a good place to start:

Nick Schwartz
Assistant Product Manager - Cross Carline Technology
[email protected]

Vegan is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 02:32 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 107
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe (previous), 2016 C450 AMG Sport (now)
I do have to ask for those claiming they want to take legal action for not having Apple CarPlay in your car, is it really THAT big of a deal? How badly does not having CarPlay hinder your current driving experiences?

I ask because all the apps shown above (iHeartRadio, Pandora, Spotify, etc) can be streamed thru Bluetooth Audio into our cars. I just took delivery of my C450 two weeks ago with no CarPlay, and while it would be great to have the software retrofitted into my car at some point, I don't feel this is any kind of deal-breaker. I can understand being disappointed about nothing having this feature, but I can imagine being so upset that I'd want to take legal action or start petitions about it.
LOGOSDJ is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 02:43 PM
  #21  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 130
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Originally Posted by lbowroom View Post
So, are you demanding it be retrofit into all versions of C-class? Base model, Burmester Upgrade, and COMAND equipped cars? All free of charge? Isn't there an option price for the vehicles that offer it?
Depends entirely on whether it can be retrofit in Audio20, but I am almost certain it should work with COMAND if it is available, which I have in my car. It should just be offered free of charge or not.
c200amgline is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 02:50 PM
  #22  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 130
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Originally Posted by LOGOSDJ View Post
I do have to ask for those claiming they want to take legal action for not having Apple CarPlay in your car, is it really THAT big of a deal? How badly does not having CarPlay hinder your current driving experiences?

I ask because all the apps shown above (iHeartRadio, Pandora, Spotify, etc) can be streamed thru Bluetooth Audio into our cars. I just took delivery of my C450 two weeks ago with no CarPlay, and while it would be great to have the software retrofitted into my car at some point, I don't feel this is any kind of deal-breaker. I can understand being disappointed about nothing having this feature, but I can imagine being so upset that I'd want to take legal action or start petitions about it.
I am personally not pursuing legal action, but I do find it to be a big deal. I am avid about new technology and CarPlay seems like a great solution for the car. I could have a quick search using Siri, reply quickly to messages, call faster than Linguatronic, and have a much nicer interface for music and most importantly choose music easier. Unfortunately Maps is not available in my country, or else I would have loved to use it in my car for faster location search in navigation.

I just want an explanation for why they chose not to offer CarPlay in the C-Class, and it was the first Mercedes car for them to demo it in. Why are they so quiet about it?
c200amgline is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 02:54 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300, 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by LOGOSDJ
I do have to ask for those claiming they want to take legal action for not having Apple CarPlay in your car, is it really THAT big of a deal? How badly does not having CarPlay hinder your current driving experiences?

I ask because all the apps shown above (iHeartRadio, Pandora, Spotify, etc) can be streamed thru Bluetooth Audio into our cars. I just took delivery of my C450 two weeks ago with no CarPlay, and while it would be great to have the software retrofitted into my car at some point, I don't feel this is any kind of deal-breaker. I can understand being disappointed about nothing having this feature, but I can imagine being so upset that I'd want to take legal action or start petitions about it.
Yes. Texting and driving is not allowed anymore. Having CarPlay makes it easy to change play lists, updated maps, routes etc. so changing apps in the phone is considered as texting and driving. And that also will distract.

I am already annoyed with how many steps one has to take to change Bluetooth to usb storage and climate control off (just an example). Also with CarPlay you get Siri functionality.
NewMBC300 is offline  
Old 03-09-2016, 02:43 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hagerstown Maryland
Posts: 336
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
I'm bummed that it's not available in my W205, but I'll just have to wait to get my W213 I guess
l3it3r is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 04:08 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Graycat305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 108
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
996 Carrera, G55 AMG
Anger!












Last edited by Graycat305; 04-07-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Graycat305 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hans007 (08-14-2016)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: Retrofit CarPlay in W205


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: