C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Excessive Creaking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by mcbc220
I agree that it seems like there are some underlying structural elements that keep this car very identifiable as of its class. That's not bad on its own because when I've driven one, I've been impressed by its fleet footedness. But as has been discussed in the past, gone are the days when an 80k car could deservedly be built from a W20x chassis. When I've driven 205s, the impression I come away with is that of having driven an upmarket car with fantastic interior appointments. But not quite A Mercedes.
Yeah that's fair. A lot of stuff coming from Mercedes now qualifies as not quite a Mercedes for anyone who knew the brand twenty years ago. Lighter, smarter, maybe prettier, but much less substantial.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Yeah that's fair. A lot of stuff coming from Mercedes now qualifies as not quite a Mercedes for anyone who knew the brand twenty years ago. Lighter, smarter, maybe prettier, but much less substantial.
Yeah, it's making it harder for me to pull the trigger on an order. Mercedes has always been my favorite brand in part because I just love that ridiculously heavy, tanklike, King of the Autobahn feeling and the feeling that the damn thing is so overengineered. But the two Mercedes cars I've actually owned (I'm in my late 20s) are a W124 and a W202. I still think I'll go for the W205, but it's an adjustment in thinking about that a Benz is these days. Sometimes
I think, why not just get a BMW? But a glance at a BMW forum reminds me that those guys think a water pump going at 25k miles is normal.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
The only car in the current MB stable that rides like a "true" Benz is the 222, as well as the old 221 and 220 (and CL counterparts).

There's hope for the new E though, especially on AirMatic. I was playing around optioning one out online. Unfortunately if you want the cool all glass dash, it's a $1000 option... on top of a $11,000 P3 package (required).
Old 07-13-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by scrambler900
My 16 C300 built in South Africa is completely silent while driving. There was a rattle right away that was actually my garage door opener I had in it before I programmed it. I'm completeky happy with mine.
How did you get a SA build in the US?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Ok, so my burmester speaker grills rattle and especially when on bluetooth call it sounds like an old mono television --the ornamental clips that someone said for the speakers are on global back order. 10-15 days. I will then bring my car back in and they will install on all 4 doors. There are 10 clips per door.

I will report back once they are installed.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had center console and button creaking. The dealer replaced console cover. And aloud me to have the gloss black wrapped. Now I'm getting steering wheel and clust creaking. Along with air suspension creaking when changing hight settings. Also had a failed front strut. Caused front tires to wear funny! At present waiting on tires and strut! Back ordered!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
I thought I was hearing creaking but it turned out to be my half empty Evian bottle in the passenger side door sill...
Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 PM

W205

I'll give you a tip. Before complaining about the rattles, take the car in for its next A/B/C service. When the MB corporate email survey comes, give the service 10's across the board. In the Comments section, mention your SA by name and compliment him/her and the dealership experience. Also, the dealership did not tell you to expect a survey. Make sure the answer about your overall service experience is a 10. (Anything under, even a 9, on that one question is a failed survey.

Now you're a member of the secret VIP club, and the SA will bend over backwards to help you. They live and die by those surveys, and a good one is a huge boost and affects their bonuses.
Great tip!!! I hope it works LOL!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:06 PM

W205
Originally Posted by InTheBenz0
Ok, so my burmester speaker grills rattle and especially when on bluetooth call it sounds like an old mono television --the ornamental clips that someone said for the speakers are on global back order. 10-15 days. I will then bring my car back in and they will install on all 4 doors. There are 10 clips per door.

I will report back once they are installed.
Link to these clips? Can't seem to find them and I dont even know what Im looking for. Just curious
Old 05-19-2020, 08:02 PM

c300
GAVE UP!

Originally Posted by l3it3r
My car has been in the shop no less than 5 times for creaks, squeaks, and rattles.

I'm so close to taking the car to the dealer and parking it with the keys in the overnight return with a 'keep it' note on the windshield. This morning, the headliner, sunroof, the driver seat, dashboard, and backseat were all chattering. I've had the comand screen replaced - twice. The dashboard ripped apart three times, the back panel on the driver side replaced, the windshield wiper cover replaced, the passenger side b pillar replaced, the headliner ripped out and reinstalled, and more.

I'm very close to being completely done with this car. 1 year and 2 weeks in, and I'm disenchanted. Completely disappointed with the quality. Still fast, still great looking - but the interior rattles, the constantly dying door handle LEDs, and unreal wind noise in the cabin are pushing me away from the car, and the brand. The W213 better be a perfect F&^King car, or I'm going to Porsche or something else.
I also owned the w205. It is absolutely beautiful. Elegantly styled inside and out. I loved looking at it...for a while. Then the creaks and rattles got so bad!!! The headrests have a plastic part inside that gets loose and rattles the hell out of everything, the dash sounds like it’s gonna implode over every bump in the road, the center console creaks with every touch as of its going to bust, the weather stripping around the pano sunroof clicks and creaks all day the list goes on. It completely negates any feeling of quality and luxury you should be experiencing with such a pricey sedan! After many attempts at getting the dealer to make any of these better to no avail I gave up on the piece of crap car! My friends who drive Lexus all have the quietest, most well put together cars that truly give you the feeling of luxury and quality you deserve for the money spent and that solid well put together feeling with ZERO creaks and rattles lasts the life of the car! I traded my w205 in for a Lexus IS. It doesn’t have some of the niceties I got used to owning Mercedes cars like the on/off at the stop lights, the ambient interior lighting, and the advanced infotainment but I gladly traded those nice to have for the well crafted nature of Lexus. I will never be turning back. I used look at Lexus like an upgraded Toyota and not really luxury but having experienced the shame Mercedes cars have turned into I am humbled to realize how understated and perfect Lexus cars are. I will only buy Lexus go forward!
Old 05-19-2020, 08:14 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Matts2015c300
Can anyone think of a downside to trying this... I.e. Voiding warranty or damaging the panels? Thanks
Yes... the feeling of Mcguyvering your $50K+ car in order to stop it from sounding like a $5K car.... I tried this and was feelings a sorts of ways as I watched myself piece together felt and foam through gaps in my pricey sedan.... so many expressions of WTF came through me....
Old 05-19-2020, 08:17 PM

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
Originally Posted by Steven T.
Yes... the feeling of Mcguyvering your $50K+ car in order to stop it from sounding like a $5K car.... I tried this and was feelings a sorts of ways as I watched myself piece together felt and foam through gaps in my pricey sedan.... so many expressions of WTF came through me....
I paid $22k for my 2016 so all bets are off in that department!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 (no code 165 option..)
Originally Posted by diamondsilver16
I paid $22k for my 2016 so all bets are off in that department!
WOW, just got emailed on this thread. I unloaded mine a long time ago, it was the worst Mercedes I have owned and may have ended owning Mercedes for me. This car was number seven and not even close to the others, the rattles only a part of it. Good luck with you new ride, I hope you are a patient person.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 185 Posts
W205 2015
It's only got 1000 miles on it and so far no, but I'll pull the interior out hunting down creaks and rattles. Hate that. Ruins the whole driving experience. But that sort of thing is covered under warranty and they'll try to fix it.

I'll give you a tip. Before complaining about the rattles, take the car in for its next A/B/C service. When the MB corporate email survey comes, give the service 10's across the board. In the Comments section, mention your SA by name and compliment him/her and the dealership experience. Also, the dealership did not tell you to expect a survey. Make sure the answer about your overall service experience is a 10. (Anything under, even a 9, on that one question is a failed survey.

Now you're a member of the secret VIP club, and the SA will bend over backwards to help you. They live and die by those surveys, and a good one is a huge boost and affects their bonuses.
My PA advised me that I will receive a call fron MB regional office in Dubai. I received this call and gave his name with a 10 all over the survey. A week later i called him to take an appointment to change my diffuser and exhaust tips. He told me to come anytime I wish he also did not charge for the installation. I love these surveys 😂😂
The following users liked this post:
diamondsilver16 (05-21-2020)