C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

How to upgrade the base sound system

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C203
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Yeah, I've used MoBridge stuff before. On the A20 though there's no MOST ring. It would be helpful on a Burmester though. Can you use Bit Ends instead?
I use ap8.9bit .. very good sound quality. It can accept hi-level in with De-eq ..
Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I have the Prima 8.9. Love it!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C203
I have the Prima 8.9. Love it!
Compact, Versatile, hi sound quality ... I love it also
Old 06-27-2017, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
15 E200CGI SPORT
Also loving the Audison Prima line.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C200d AMG Line
Originally Posted by PHX MB Mark
Did you order clips from the dealer, or are they readily available online?

BTW - thanks for the detail, this is all extremely helpful information, I really appreciate it!
So clips can be order from the dealer and in my opinion it is the best choice. MB do not have them cheap (I can compare to VAG and they have all clips cheaper then MB) but quality is much better than aftermarket.
Actually I bought some for a door but these are solid and didn't have to change it. But others which I didn't have I need to order. Temporary I used the old one but some are broken. B-pillar (2 pcs on the bottom) are one time use - even with special tools I couldn't open them correctly. As well as the one which are used for trunk lining.
B-pillar:

It is shown 1 pc but there are 2 pcs.

Trunk panel:

This type I found 5 pcs together on right panel.

No problem and if you will have additional question or doubts just ask and will try to help you
Old 06-27-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
Originally Posted by PHX MB Mark

2- I'm still trying to get 100% confirmation on whether the base A20 system has VNC or not? Specifically, I want to know if the JLFix82 is an absolute necessity. Can you confirm if the base A20 requires the Fix82?
The base audio system is heavily EQ-ed to get the most out of the crappy speakers. I would still go with the JLFix, despite the fact that the base audio doesn't have the VNC.
I installed the Match DSP amp and I couldn't get rid of the EQ distortions. The sound is perfect at lower and mid volumes but is distorted at high ones.
I tried using external sources directly on the Match amp and the sound is always perfect, so it's not my system. The distortion comes from the HU and is mostly there between 300 and 1000Hz.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
In that case definitely do the Fix82 if for nothing else to get a clean flat signal. You'll still need EQ of some sort but even an AudioLogic analog EQ would do.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:52 PM

W205 C200d AMG Line
That is strange. I am using Audison AP 8.9 Bit and I didn't have problem with distortions.
I ran configuration wizard with all settings flat on HU and max undistorted volume (this I checked by Oscilloscope) and Audison soft did all by it self. Showed me that signal is not clipping and did the de-eq. After the steps it is showing de-eq and is flat almost all the way. I could see differences between front and rear signal output from HU but there is not that big.
Whatever will be done on sound system upgrade will be better than what MB released by factory.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by vladarh
The base audio system is heavily EQ-ed to get the most out of the crappy speakers. I would still go with the JLFix, despite the fact that the base audio doesn't have the VNC.
I installed the Match DSP amp and I couldn't get rid of the EQ distortions. The sound is perfect at lower and mid volumes but is distorted at high ones.
I tried using external sources directly on the Match amp and the sound is always perfect, so it's not my system. The distortion comes from the HU and is mostly there between 300 and 1000Hz.
Very strange behavior.
I have the Helix V.eight DSP (which is essentially the same product) and the Burmester system, which does have noise cancelling.
I have PERFECT sound without the JL or similar product.
I don't know what I did to luck out, but.....
Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Very strange behavior.
I have the Helix V.eight DSP (which is essentially the same product) and the Burmester system, which does have noise cancelling.
I should note that I never did run the auto setup on the unit...
I copied Mike5215s settings for crossover and left the rest alone.
If/when I replace the door speakers, I'll probably re-EQ the system, but for now, it sounds GREAT without anything other than a crossover change.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Very strange behavior.
I think the Helix can strip out VNC where the Prima cannot. Glad you're digging it!
Old 06-28-2017, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
I think the Helix can strip out VNC where the Prima cannot. Glad you're digging it!
The Prima might not, but I'm surprised that the "Match" can't, if my Helix can... they are essentially the same foundational platform (one is vehicle specific and the other is a higher end generic for all cars <- mine).

I had originally purchased a JL based on your recommendation, but didn't need it so it was shelved (i.e., returned). That being said, are you aware there's an upgrade (firmware, I think) for the JL units to improve input EQ and few other things????
Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
It's not that it couldn't but when it got rid of all the distortions the available volume was too low. Maybe that's because I'm running the low power mode (4x35 instead of 4x60W). For example, it was clipping the 315Hz by 15dB to stop the distortion.
I think the main reason is because of the Focals that I installed. They seem to be very sensitive to "over-driven" signals. But the way they play is just lovely
Old 06-28-2017, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mikе5215
Yku drive a benz don't replace anything, I mean you probably not the smartest individual
For those of you unfamiliar with known internet scammer Vitaliy Sokolov and his fake company "*******", English is not his first language and he uses a translation program to post. He tends to drink heavily, especially late in the day, to the point he's impossible to translate, and you get this gibberish.

More about him here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fulfilled.html

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...layed-2892058/

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...play-scam.html

https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/bu...land-ny-128020

http://m.ripoffreport.com/reports/na...new-yo-1368688

Attachment 357865
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes C220 AMG (W205)
Just to share an upgrade to the W205 Audio 20 base sound that i was involved here in Portugal.

This customer choose a full Audison setup for his S205:

Audison AP1 (Tweeters) + Ap4 (mediums) for the front doors
Audison APX4 (Coaxial) for the rear doors
Audison APS10D (Subwoofer) with a custom box done by us (MPSCustoms)
Audison AP5.9 bit (Amplifier with DSP)

The difference between the original speaker and the replacement (in this case is the APX4):

At the trunk we installed the custom subwoofer box and the amplifier, keeping the most OEM look as possible:

At the end was time to setup the sound to the customer taste:

The improvement was amazing. I'm also thinking do a similar upgrade in my W205 but with the 8.9bit to also install 1 center speaker at the dashboard and 2 woofers on the foots

Share your thoughts about the custom trunk
The following 2 users liked this post by morlim:
fresh27 (07-08-2017), mikka4 (09-21-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Nice. That should sound really good. Funky looking EQ on the software in that one shot. Did you guys use a RTA or was that by ear?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Nice. That should sound really good. Funky looking EQ on the software in that one shot. Did you guys use a RTA or was that by ear?
Hey Mike,

I sent you this PM, could you give your input on it? Thanks.

Originally Posted by xEryx
Hey Mike,

What would you say would be the best upgrade path for the W204 Harman Kardon system? Would the Prima and JL amp like in the W212 and W221 be the easiest and most bang for your buck option still? The discussion you were having with the other guy in the W212 thread about the setup and his point about the COMMAND 4 channels, does that change anything?

Here are the speaker for reference

Only difference I can see are the missing 80mm front speakers, would it make a big difference? What wiring would you recommend for the 8 channels on the Prima

Do you still recommend the Prima 8.9 which can be had for $600 with a JL 300W sub amp?

Thanks,
Ery
Here are the E Class speakers http://local.dertowa.de/MB-Forum/Sound/e-class.pdf

Last edited by xEryx; 07-25-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz
Hey Mike! Your inbox is full, mind if I send you a PM? Got a question regarding sound systems etc.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah I'm on the road and on the mobile app. I can't manage the inbox until I get on a desktop. I'll have it cleared by tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 PM

2020 C63S, 2013 GLK 350
MTX TDX40

Given the low power output of the factory amp, I think the Focals would cost a lot and make little difference overall. Since the car lacks tweeters, I'd do two sets of 4" coaxials for the doors, like the inexpensive MTX Thunder 40. I've used them previously. They sound warm and full for a 4" and aren't power hogs. Depth is fine, but you'd need to modify the mount a little. (OEM use a tri lobe 3 point mount, most aftermarket are 4 point square)

Www.w205audio.wordpress.com
Mike, I'm close to buying these
Amazon Amazon

The TDX40 seems very similar to the Thunder 40 you've mentioned. Anything I should be aware of ? I cannot easily source the Thunder40 here in Canada, but the TDX40 seems reasonable in price.

Now to my 2 part question:
1) Has anyone actually installed these in a C300 / W205 vehicle and found the 1.75" (44mm) depth to be sufficient without hitting the metal. I saw you mentioned using them but in a different model.

2) How to mount the speaker in the 3 point mount holes ? AFAIK there's no threaded sides, just a 1/2" deep hole where the rubber grommets sat in. What fastener did you use to mount the speaker securely ? I understood the 3rd tab screw that one has to drill into the plastic, but how to fasten the other 2 inside the pre-existing holes ?

Thanks for all your advice, I've read through many pages here and conclude that all i want is a minimal upgrade to those awful sounding paper cones. Just need some reassurance on mounting depth and attaching those speakers.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 AMG
@damianw

Are you able to describe how you modified the door panel to fit the Audison AP4 speaker?

I want to replace mine and I really like Audison as I had them in my previous car.

So, I'm interested in how you managed to fit it with the large speaker depth than the standard ones
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Well here's a kick in the head. I swapped cars with my kid. He needed to travel on business and he drives a little Scion FR-S with a six speed manual, so I've had the Scion for a week and he took the C.

I actually had the aftermarket audio installed in the car for him awhile back as a gift but I've never really played with it. It's phenomenal. The HU is a DD Pioneer with a touchscreen, and there's a drop in speaker upgrade by a specialty company that included a form fitted 10" sub in an enclosure painted to match the car.

The speaker array consists of 6" woofers in the doors, and a 4" mid and dome tweeter atop the dash, plus two 4" in the rear. No surround, just straight up 4 channel plus the sub. It's so much more enjoyable than the system in the C. Great imaging by having the mids/highs atop the dash, and really ballsy and punchy lows. Mainly because Toyota/Subaru used a very normal, low tech speaker array, and the HU has decent power and a good DSP, although the system required very little tuning.

When I think about the investment in time and money it took to get the C to the level it is, and how it still can get bested by a car like the little Scion, it shows me how far off the mark MB was when they cooked up the partnership with Burmester.

He asked me when I needed the C back and I told him to hang on to it. I'm having too much fun. And although the Pioneer HU is three years old, it has CarPlay.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 AMG
Well here's a kick in the head. I swapped cars with my kid. He needed to travel on business and he drives a little Scion FR-S with a six speed manual, so I've had the Scion for a week and he took the C.

I actually had the aftermarket audio installed in the car for him awhile back as a gift but I've never really played with it. It's phenomenal. The HU is a DD Pioneer with a touchscreen, and there's a drop in speaker upgrade by a specialty company that included a form fitted 10" sub in an enclosure painted to match the car.

The speaker array consists of 6" woofers in the doors, and a 4" mid and dome tweeter atop the dash, plus two 4" in the rear. No surround, just straight up 4 channel plus the sub. It's so much more enjoyable than the system in the C. Great imaging by having the mids/highs atop the dash, and really ballsy and punchy lows. Mainly because Toyota/Subaru used a very normal, low tech speaker array, and the HU has decent power and a good DSP, although the system required very little tuning.

When I think about the investment in time and money it took to get the C to the level it is, and how it still can get bested by a car like the little Scion, it shows me how far off the mark MB was when they cooked up the partnership with Burmester.

He asked me when I needed the C back and I told him to hang on to it. I'm having too much fun. And although the Pioneer HU is three years old, it has CarPlay.
Its kind of sad really because you expect so much from MB and they have let many faithful customers down with this 'burmester' system. I just hope their £6k 'Burmester' system on the S class and higher end models actually has some Burmester components and sounds better. Especially for £6K!!

I'm still trying to decide what to do with mine without spending too much cash. Whether the Helix V Eight or Audison AP8.9 bit will be better, not sure in terms of what I need. The Helix is twice as powerful in terms of wattage. But, is that overkill for the W205. perhaps. But, I may need to buy the JL Fix if I go the Audison which makes the cost same as buying the Helix which doesn't need that for de-eq. This is more stressful than real life
Old 08-21-2017, 10:45 AM

W205 C200d AMG Line
Originally Posted by shaunds
@damianw

Are you able to describe how you modified the door panel to fit the Audison AP4 speaker?

I want to replace mine and I really like Audison as I had them in my previous car.

So, I'm interested in how you managed to fit it with the large speaker depth than the standard ones
Hi,
I just replied you on PM.
The following users liked this post:
shaunds (08-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:26 AM

2020 C63S, 2013 GLK 350
Originally Posted by morlim
Just to share an upgrade to the W205 Audio 20 base sound that i was involved here in Portugal.

This customer choose a full Audison setup for his S205:

Audison AP1 (Tweeters) + Ap4 (mediums) for the front doors
Audison APX4 (Coaxial) for the rear doors
Audison APS10D (Subwoofer) with a custom box done by us (MPSCustoms)
Audison AP5.9 bit (Amplifier with DSP)

The difference between the original speaker and the replacement (in this case is the APX4):

At the trunk we installed the custom subwoofer box and the amplifier, keeping the most OEM look as possible:

At the end was time to setup the sound to the customer taste:

The improvement was amazing. I'm also thinking do a similar upgrade in my W205 but with the 8.9bit to also install 1 center speaker at the dashboard and 2 woofers on the foots

Share your thoughts about the custom trunk
Can someone here please share how they've managed to mount and fit the AP4 or similar speakers replacing the OEM fronts or rears?

The 2 issues I have is mounting depth and hardware to use to tether the speaker to the backside of the door panel.

There are only 3 holes where the rubber grommet sits in that holds the OEM speaker.

How has anyone managed to securely tether this aftermarket 4" speaker with the wider magnet and make it fit in the W205 ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to upgrade the base sound system