C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Power Off / Driving Modes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C450
Power Off / Driving Modes

I recently purchased a C450 with the understanding that if the car is restarted within 4 hours, it will remain in the last selected driving mode (Comfort, Sport, etc). However, my car defaults to Comfort every time it is restarted, no matter the interval. I have tried immediately, 5 mins, 20 mins, an hour, and always back to Comfort. Am I missing a setting somewhere, or could I need a software update?

Also, can anyone confirm if it is possible to turn off Attention Assist permanently? That also turns back on every time the car is started.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by MJ83
I recently purchased a C450 with the understanding that if the car is restarted within 4 hours, it will remain in the last selected driving mode (Comfort, Sport, etc). However, my car defaults to Comfort every time it is restarted, no matter the interval. I have tried immediately, 5 mins, 20 mins, an hour, and always back to Comfort. Am I missing a setting somewhere, or could I need a software update?

Also, can anyone confirm if it is possible to turn off Attention Assist permanently? That also turns back on every time the car is started.

Thanks!
My understanding is that the mode save feature is available in European models only. As for attention assist, I'm not sure. I think that may also a manual push of a button for those that want it off.

My sequence when I start my C450 - buckle, start button, two clicks of mode switch to Sport Plus, set in drive, smile....
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM

2016 C300
I just purchased a new 16 C300 and specifically asked the MB rep responsible for showing me all the features and he said it always defaults to Comfort mode and I didn't ask about attention assist, I know that going through the cluster menu there are options to turn off a lot of the assist features, but not sure if disabling is permanent.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:56 AM

2016 C450
It does appear that the mode hold feature is not available on the US spec models. I checked the manual, and there is no mention of it returning to previous mode when restarted within 4 hours. That sure would have been nice.

I do know how to deactivate the attention assist in the gauge menu, but it appears to turn back on when restarting the car. After reading more about it, I'm not sure that is what is bothering me anyway. What I don't like is the car beeping and flashing when coming up behind someone quickly, or changing lanes with someone close. I want to be able to drive aggressively without the alarms going off! lol
Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I set my driving mode before starting the vehicle. If you had the car in Sport+ it will usually give an exhaust burble upon the next startup, but not always.

Attention assist will always default to on. If it is manually disabled, it will turn on again the next time the vehicle is started. Are you having problems with attention assist? It has worked fine for us and has not given any false positives.

If you are having problems with yours you should document the problem and take it in for service.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC43
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I set my driving mode before starting the vehicle. If you had the car in Sport+ it will usually give an exhaust burble upon the next startup, but not always.
I don't know what triggers the burble any more. It seems like it want to show up whenever it likes. Just like the auto-stop feature.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Mode hold not on Canadian models either, FWIW
Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by MJ83
I recently purchased a C450 with the understanding that if the car is restarted within 4 hours, it will remain in the last selected driving mode (Comfort, Sport, etc). However, my car defaults to Comfort every time it is restarted, no matter the interval.
As mentioned above, it is country specific. It's a setting in one of the ECU's. You need the factory software and specific knowledge on how to unlock and configure it.

From memory I think it's also locked down with a key algorithm (not sure - need to check) to prevent change. There are ways to do it (PM me if you want more tips on where to look for answers) but don't go asking your dealer - they won't be able to change it for you.

Last edited by DBOC205; 07-06-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
Australian market does save for four hours.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Xtrema
I don't know what triggers the burble any more. It seems like it want to show up whenever it likes. Just like the auto-stop feature.
Auto-stop seems to need to green bar filled (a MPG screen on the gauge DIS) to activate when stopping.

So, let's say you expel it before stopping and it doesn't recharge, or you downshift to slow the car, the car does not have that "reserve" for the auto-stop feature to enable upon stopping. It seems to use that regenerative power to keep the AC going, etc.

This is my experience anyway.

And cold starts is what makes the car sound awake upon ignition. So, if I haven't drive in like 6-8 hours, it roars up to a burble for about 10-15 seconds and then quiets down.