C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Vibration in Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Vibration in Steering Wheel

Purchased my C330 Sport on May 20th, which as 19" wheels. My vehicle has been at the dealership for 6 weeks so far for service to try and resolve a vibration in the steering wheel. They have put new tires on, now a different brand, road force balanced a few times. I think they've changed out some parts as well but not sure exactly what. Got the vehicle back yesterday and did a road test with them but it's still vibrating. It doesn't do it on all road surfaces but enough to both the **** out of me. I indicated to them I was going to call MB Customer Service when I left yesterday. I got a call this morning that they found something else they want to try and are going to pick up my car next Thursday. Has anyone else run into this? They tried telling me it's a characteristic of the vehicle, which I'm not buying. MB isn't going to sell a car where the steering wheel vibrates.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by joe354
Purchased my C330 Sport on May 20th, which as 19" wheels. My vehicle has been at the dealership for 6 weeks so far for service to try and resolve a vibration in the steering wheel. They have put new tires on, now a different brand, road force balanced a few times. I think they've changed out some parts as well but not sure exactly what. Got the vehicle back yesterday and did a road test with them but it's still vibrating. It doesn't do it on all road surfaces but enough to both the **** out of me. I indicated to them I was going to call MB Customer Service when I left yesterday. I got a call this morning that they found something else they want to try and are going to pick up my car next Thursday. Has anyone else run into this? They tried telling me it's a characteristic of the vehicle, which I'm not buying. MB isn't going to sell a car where the steering wheel vibrates.
While I haven't experienced that I'am familiar with the..."it's a characteristic of the vehicle" excuse, specifically as it relates to the wind noise that comes in thru the drivers window. Needless to say they were able to fix it by replacing it with acoustic glass...my suggestion...stay persistent and good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
Brittnie Jane (06-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes benz c300 2015
Check this thread out. I think you may be experiencing the same issues as these guys

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght-turns.html
Old 07-15-2016, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
at what speeds does this happen?

I have vibration at ~72-78 mph, but figured it was from the spacers I have on the rear wheels not seating perfectly on install.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:51 PM

C300
The vibration happens once I get about 60 mph.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 MB C300 (W205) 1969 MB 280SL (W113)
I had a tire balance problem above 60mph when I took delivery of my C300. Dealer installed 2 new Conti RFs. and rebalanced all 4 tires. It was a little better when I got the car back but still not quite right. Took it to Americas Tire to have them rebalance the tires and after spending $60 and waiting a half hour (the dealer had the car three days) the car now has zero balance/vibration problem. Their comment was the dealers don't know tires like they do and I would have to agree.

Last edited by 49erPV; 07-15-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:00 PM

C300
Maybe I'll try that if they aren't able to resolve it next week. They put Perelli P zero's on the car and that made it a little better but it's hasn't resolved it.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Sounds like a bent front rim. Can you swap fronts for backs and see if the vibration moves from the steering wheel to the seat? (Put the passenger headrest all the way up and with nobody in the passenger seat the headrest will shake visibly on a bent rear wheel.)

Wheels that are bent laterally may still balance out fine on a road force machine. The tech needs to take the extra step and measure the run-out (side to side oscillation) as well. Wheels with excessive run out only start vibrating at a certain speed, when the oscillations get too close together.

99% of vibration issues, especially on a new car, are wheel related. I'm presuming factory wheels, factory offsets, no spacers right?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:29 AM

C300
Yes factory wheels, factory offsets, no spacers right. I'll bring it up and see if they checked. I would have hoped so but you never know.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Doesn't the W205 "Sport" have staggered wheels...wider in the back (8.5"), and thinner in front (7.5")?

And if he's running 19" AMG wheels, the offsets in back are ET52, and in the front...ET44.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 PM

C300
Yes they are different sizes. Not sure of the exact size off the top of my head. I know they dealer swapped tires from other vehicles to see if that would fix the vibration but I'm not sure if that included rims as well.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 PM

C300
Quick Update: Dealer replaced left and right thrust arms. On the invoice it says strut rod and they say it resolved the issue. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but will see how it rides on the way home today. I'll assume this resolved it but will update this thread if not.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:26 PM

C43
Did your vibration get fixed?

Did your vibration get resolved, ultimately? And, do you know for sure if it was the thrust arms, or the strut rods, they replaced?

I'm having the same issue on our 2017 C43 with 19" wheels (strong pulsing/rhythmic vibration above 60mph), and the dealer in NYC has had my car longer than I have, over the last 6 moths: they rebalanced the wheels, fixed a bent front rim (there on delivery), replaced the rear axle, replaced most of the power train, and has now given up.

If I can have them replace those and/or go to another shop to rebalance the wheels to resolve my vibration, I'd be eternally grateful...!!!

Originally Posted by joe354
Quick Update: Dealer replaced left and right thrust arms. On the invoice it says strut rod and they say it resolved the issue. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but will see how it rides on the way home today. I'll assume this resolved it but will update this thread if not.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Proper wheel balancing, in my experience (5 years as the lead tech in a Firestone store also), is more a function of the user than the machine. I see FAR too many people balancing wrong or not being careful enough. Yes, most customers just don't care or notice if there's a very slight vibration. When I've had those very sensitive customers, I've ALWAYS been able to fix it. The tires can have variations in them that "pass" road force, but you still feel.

I replaced one tire 2 times on a new BMW for a guy, after both of the OEM goodyear runflat tires we ordered, came flat spotted. I'd put them on and they would balance great, but at 70-80mph, there was a shake. It was incredibly slight, a normal person would probably ignore it, but it was there. Tire #3 solved the problem, as it didn't have a flat spot in it. My theory was improper tire storage in whatever warehouse they came from (Tire rack IIRC), but the point is, just because they "tried different tires" or "fixed" a rim, doesn't mean that's not the issue. Yes, a good tire tech will be better at it than a dealer tech, dealer techs don't do a lot of tires and they tend to assume that just because it's NEW, it is good. Can't make that assumption sadly.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Originally Posted by rkehlor
Did your vibration get resolved, ultimately? And, do you know for sure if it was the thrust arms, or the strut rods, they replaced?

I'm having the same issue on our 2017 C43 with 19" wheels (strong pulsing/rhythmic vibration above 60mph), and the dealer in NYC has had my car longer than I have, over the last 6 moths: they rebalanced the wheels, fixed a bent front rim (there on delivery), replaced the rear axle, replaced most of the power train, and has now given up.

If I can have them replace those and/or go to another shop to rebalance the wheels to resolve my vibration, I'd be eternally grateful...!!!
Hate to revive an old thread, but was this ever resolved? Did the thrust arms/strut rod replacement work? Recently picked up a CPO 2016 C300 w/15,000 miles and am having the same problem. Went to the dealer, they said bent rim... got the rim fixed, same issue... now I've replaced all 4 rims and tires and still have the vibration between 65 mph and 75 mph (though, it's better). It's pretty frustrating to have a Mercedes-Benz vibrate while driving.
The following users liked this post:
Nico Candelario (06-10-2020)
Old 07-31-2019, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by BdSic
Hate to revive an old thread, but was this ever resolved? Did the thrust arms/strut rod replacement work? Recently picked up a CPO 2016 C300 w/15,000 miles and am having the same problem. Went to the dealer, they said bent rim... got the rim fixed, same issue... now I've replaced all 4 rims and tires and still have the vibration between 65 mph and 75 mph (though, it's better). It's pretty frustrating to have a Mercedes-Benz vibrate while driving.
I would suggest checking the trans mount first, at this age/mileage, it could be starting to get weak and amplifying any vibrations in the drivetrain or allowing them to pass into the body.

If you know your rims and tires are perfect, not just because they are replaced means they aren't out of round or balance, then I would inspect the drivetrain for any play or slop. It's highly unlikely that a front control arm causes that type of rhythmic wobble/vibration, but it's possible on a 4 matic if the alignment is compromised enough when at speed and the axles are moving around. I would not start there though, I would doubt that as the cause.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:17 PM

c300
2016 c300 19in rims 49k
im having the same issue Bought new tires and rims had them balance twice and even now I get a slight vibration at 60mph. Can be very annoying but goes away after speeding up faster. sometimes I get a pretty decent vibration on the steering wheel when I apply the brake Again I have no idea what else it could be. Dealership check the vechile twice inspection said it look good
Old 06-10-2020, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Originally Posted by Nico Candelario
2016 c300 19in rims 49k
im having the same issue Bought new tires and rims had them balance twice and even now I get a slight vibration at 60mph. Can be very annoying but goes away after speeding up faster. sometimes I get a pretty decent vibration on the steering wheel when I apply the brake Again I have no idea what else it could be. Dealership check the vechile twice inspection said it look good
I honestly gave up. My dealer told me my car was fine. It did get slightly better after they did a road force balancing (or maybe that's just in my head).

In your case, I'm thinking it could be warped rotors -- based on what you said about feeling the vibration when you brake.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:13 PM

c300
I honestly gave up. My dealer told me my car was fine. It did get slightly better after they did a road force balancing (or maybe that's just in my head).

In your case, I'm thinking it could be warped rotors -- based on what you said about feeling the vibration when you brake.
Yea dude I thinking I’m feeling the same way it only does it when it want to the vibration at 60 is really slight but u can see it and feel it if u focusing on it lol. But as for braking only does it when it want to man I go 80 mph and brake hard no issues other times I get a slight shake when decreasing in speed maybe it just the roads 🤷🏽‍♂️
Old 06-14-2020, 04:53 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
I was having the same problem with my car. Specially when I went to 70-80mph and then applied brakes which was giving me a lot of vibration. My car at that time was only 30K driven. I ended up replacing the rotors and the vibration went away completely however, I am now 48k on my car and I think its coming back again but very mild. I don't drive my car crazy. Winters are harsh but that should lead to a worn out rotor that fast. p.s. i really drive like a 0 year old always obey speed limits no hard braking. So, I am not sure if its a defect in their design.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Nico Candelario
Yea dude I thinking I’m feeling the same way it only does it when it want to the vibration at 60 is really slight but u can see it and feel it if u focusing on it lol. But as for braking only does it when it want to man I go 80 mph and brake hard no issues other times I get a slight shake when decreasing in speed maybe it just the roads 🤷🏽‍♂️
Could be front control arm bushings in your case, as they move around under load when braking, but I'd replace the rotors first and see if that solves both issues.

Many times, techs don't clean the hubs at all, and when the wheel is bolted back down it isn't sitting perfectly flat. I was always using a drill and a plastic wire wheel to clean the hub bore and rotor mounting surfaces fully before installing wheels, and other techs looked at me like I had 3 heads, but I never had these types of issues on cars I worked on, even with simple things like brake jobs and tire/wheel replacements.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C300 Coupe AMG Sport Package
"While I haven't experienced that I am familiar with the..."It's a characteristic of the vehicle" excuse" SAME! I'M SO TIRED OF HEARING THAT BS!
The following 2 users liked this post by Brittnie Jane:
Cilo C Class (06-19-2020), diamondsilver16 (06-15-2020)