C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Dealer charging for maps update?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
Dealer charging for maps update?

So my vehicle is 15 months old. The dealer is fixing some other service issues under warranty and I asked if they could update the navigation on COMAND.

They told me it would be $350. Is this normal?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by kleinebin
So my vehicle is 15 months old. The dealer is fixing some other service issues under warranty and I asked if they could update the navigation on COMAND.

you need to be clear with the dealer about what you want updating. Asking them to update software without cause/fault will cost you as they don't see it as required. Asking them to update map data (which in the U.K. at least) is free for 3 years after purchase.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:40 AM

2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
you need to be clear with the dealer about what you want updating. Asking them to update software without cause/fault will cost you as they don't see it as required. Asking them to update map data (which in the U.K. at least) is free for 3 years after purchase.
They recently updated the software but not the maps because I was getting a loss of power when slowing down turning corners or on roundabouts.

What do you suggest I ask for precisely?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
In the States, we are entitled to three free navigation map upgrades during the warranty period. Some dealer service writers may simply not know this, so just ask for your free map update. They have to do it if requested.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 W205
Map Update

[QUOTE=ManiacGT;7086875]you need to be clear with the dealer about what you want updating. Asking them to update software without cause/fault will cost you as they don't see it as required. Asking them to update map data (which in the U.K. at least) is free for 3 years after purchase.[/QUOTE

I was told by the salesman that Map updates are free for 3 years (wrong)
when i asked for my update i was told if you have Audio 20 fitted (Garmin) then you have to pay!

I contacted branch manager who agreed to update F.O.C. as i was given wrong information.

I now have 2016/2017 mapping Version 7.0.

So a thank-you to Manager and a message to the salesman (learn your product that you are selling)

You can update your mapping software on Mercedes Benz download manager but not your MAP updates.

Hope this helps someone
Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300

On the MBUSA site when selecting the Multimedia option for the upgraded COMAND it lists "3 years of navigation updates included"

Old 03-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C Class 200 sport petrol auto
You can update your mapping software on Mercedes Benz download manager but not your MAP updates.
Don't think that is correct. I bought my C Class with Audio 20 and did a map update last February via my home PC. Since then when I check I get a message that the maps are up to date even though the maps are actually 2 years out of date. I was told that another update will come out in May.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 PM

There is no such free update listed on the MB Australia website http://www.mercedes-benz.com.au/cont.../packages.html or http://www.mercedes-benz.com.au/cont...avigation.html
Old 03-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Write to MB Australia and ask them about it. They should be able to tell you.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
Audio 20 update now available in the U.K. downloading now, promises new user interfaces.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
Update complete, childish Garmin interface gone, now shows a slick MB interface matching all the other MB infotainment stuff. Much better.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:05 PM

C class w205
Map updates

Originally Posted by chrisdean
Update complete, childish Garmin interface gone, now shows a slick MB interface matching all the other MB infotainment stuff. Much better.
I updated yesterday v8 maps and v8 software. Took about 9 hours. Agree interface is more in keeping with the rest of the system. But, the mute/unmute
now works the wrong way round i.e unmuted is actually muted, is it just me.

Also used the new version of Mercedes download manager, still no faster than the old version.

2016 C class w205, audio 20
Old 03-23-2017, 04:18 AM

Update: I had a go at my dealer over another service issue they were supposed to have fixed a year ago but didn't. Car booked in for Monday and they are doing the maps for free.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:50 AM

C220 W205
Map Update

[QUOTE=D Green;7086958]
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
you need to be clear with the dealer about what you want updating. Asking them to update software without cause/fault will cost you as they don't see it as required. Asking them to update map data (which in the U.K. at least) is free for 3 years after purchase.[/QUOTE

I was told by the salesman that Map updates are free for 3 years (wrong)
when i asked for my update i was told if you have Audio 20 fitted (Garmin) then you have to pay!

I contacted branch manager who agreed to update F.O.C. as i was given wrong information.

I now have 2016/2017 mapping Version 7.0.

So a thank-you to Manager and a message to the salesman (learn your product that you are selling)

Hope this helps someone
Update
I have now updated my new 2016/2017 SD card to V8 maps and V8 software.
Apparently you only get one free update within 60 days of registering your SD card.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 PM

So the dealer updates my maps for free... but the GPS is off by up to 800m.

What gives?
Old 04-04-2017, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
So the dealer updates my maps for free... but the GPS is off by up to 800m.

What gives?
Well without wishing to sound smart, clearly theres an issue with either the data or the GPS unit if this is a permanent issue. Back to the dealer to correct.

If its an occasional issue then this is likely related to GPS accuracy issues related to a built up area or interference.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
I brought my C400 in for a COMAND Map update yesterday. The update wouldn't take so they had to update the COMAND software first. That update failed and so far can't be corrected. The COMAND unit is basically a brick. They are talking about replacing the entire COMAND unit. Hopefully I'll know more this afternoon. At least I have a loaner car.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Originally Posted by BenzC400
I brought my C400 in for a COMAND Map update yesterday. The update wouldn't take so they had to update the COMAND software first. That update failed and so far can't be corrected. The COMAND unit is basically a brick. They are talking about replacing the entire COMAND unit. Hopefully I'll know more this afternoon. At least I have a loaner car.
That's insane. You previously had the map updated, right? So why would another map update kill everything. Way too many computers in cars these days. Makes me hesitant to own without a warranty.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
That's insane. You previously had the map updated, right? So why would another map update kill everything. Way too many computers in cars these days. Makes me hesitant to own without a warranty.
Happens all the time. There are numerous bulletins out there for software updates on the audio 20/comand units, to address little flaws. The software updates have a very real chance of ruining the unit, we have them fail 2/3 through the update and it just locks up, will never recover, no matter what we try. Install a new unit, updates, works 100%.

The factory radios in these cars are just complete trash.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:00 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
This would be my third map update and second COMAND update. Both times they tried to update COMAND, it locked up the system. The first time it eventually worked. This time they gave up and ordered a new COMAND unit. The new unit hopefully will arrive in a couple of days. The one time that only the maps version was updated, it worked fine. It seems they have a real problem updating the COMAND software. I bet I have to reset all the custom settings. I asked if I could get the most recent COMAND unit that comes in 2017 cars that might be compatible with Apple CarPlay. The service rep didn't think so.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:17 PM

2015 W205
This would be my third map update and second COMAND update. Both times they tried to update COMAND, it locked up the system. The first time it eventually worked. This time they gave up and ordered a new COMAND unit. The new unit hopefully will arrive in a couple of days. The one time that only the maps version was updated, it worked fine. It seems they have a real problem updating the COMAND software. I bet I have to reset all the custom settings. I asked if I could get the most recent COMAND unit that comes in 2017 cars that might be compatible with Apple CarPlay. The service rep didn't think so.
What map version were they updating you to? I have had only one update to 5.1, pretty sure there is at least 1 or 2 versions since then. My 3 years free map updates for a 2015 in ending later this year, so it needs to be done soon.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
In most cases the 3 year map updates are not included on the Australian models. Some early builds out of Germany had the SA code to include it and even then I've heard of people being challenged on the matter from dealers who towed the standard company motto on the topic.

Welcome to MB Australia where we're still being treated like Chumps a lot of the times compared to some of the bigger markets (like the US and Europe). To charge people $350 bucks for what's essentially free on Google or in any cheap **** GPS these days is outrageous really. The dealers must cop disgruntled customers on the topic all the time and if you make enough noise they will probably give it to you for free, but really you shouldn't have to fight for map updates in today's world!

The BMW system in Oz lets you do your own map updates (any time) via the inbuilt 3G, plus you get SOS and Concierge service thrown in. It's not a foreign concept for MB either, they just have to decide to bring it onto the market here and it's really high time they did.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:28 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
What map version were they updating you to? I have had only one update to 5.1, pretty sure there is at least 1 or 2 versions since then. My 3 years free map updates for a 2015 in ending later this year, so it needs to be done soon.
I don't know what map version I will get. I asked, but the service rep didn't know. He only knew there was an update available. I'll post again when it's done, hopefully tommorrow. I've gone from version 3.3 to 5.1 to 7.0. I've seen loaner cars with version 8, so I assume it will be at least version 8.

I will be just as interesting to see what changes the COMAND update brings.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:40 AM

2019 E53 Coupe
UPDATE
The COMAND head unit was successfully replaced. It was a change from NTG 5.1 to NTG 5.2. I now have the head unit of a 2016 or later C Class in my early build 2015. The first difference I noticed was that when I connected my phone, I was prompted that NTG 5.2 is compatible with the Mercedes Companion App and asked if I wanted to download it. I did, and it works. My next step is to see if I will have access to MBrace services such as remote start that weren't available for my original COMAND unit. The Mbrace representative thought I would, the dealer wasn't so sure. They told me to give it 24 hours for the computers to sync and the new COMAND unit to be registered to my VIN. It may be a nice update to have, but not practical unless the head unit must be replaced under warranty. The new COMAND unit is a $5,000 part.

Interestingly, my maps were not updated, which was the reason all this started in the first place. Apparently, COMAND map version 7 is the latest update available. Version 9 is about to be released and I'll be able to update soon.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 PM

2015 W205
UPDATE
The COMAND head unit was successfully replaced. It was a change from NTG 5.1 to NTG 5.2. I now have the head unit of a 2016 or later C Class in my early build 2015. The first difference I noticed was that when I connected my phone, I was prompted that NTG 5.2 is compatible with the Mercedes Companion App and asked if I wanted to download it. I did, and it works. My next step is to see if I will have access to MBrace services such as remote start that weren't available for my original COMAND unit. The Mbrace representative thought I would, the dealer wasn't so sure. They told me to give it 24 hours for the computers to sync and the new COMAND unit to be registered to my VIN. It may be a nice update to have, but not practical unless the head unit must be replaced under warranty. The new COMAND unit is a $5,000 part.

Interestingly, my maps were not updated, which was the reason all this started in the first place. Apparently, COMAND map version 7 is the latest update available. Version 9 is about to be released and I'll be able to update soon.
Nice score if you get access to the new features!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer charging for maps update?