C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Car feels sluggish after wrist pin repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 c300
Car feels sluggish after wrist pin repair

so I've had the wrist pin repair done a few weeks ago, and there's seems to be no major trouble. The only thing is, I feel like the acceleration might be a little slower. This could all be in my head. I don't usually floor it, but I did today, and the engine wasn't fully warm yet, which could also be a contributing factor, but it seemed to pick up kind of slow. Is that normal? I've been on loaner CLA250s and they seem to have a better pick up. Any opinions / any way to see if my acceleration is optimal to the cars fullest potential?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Elbandito
so I've had the wrist pin repair done a few weeks ago, and there's seems to be no major trouble. The only thing is, I feel like the acceleration might be a little slower. This could all be in my head. I don't usually floor it, but I did today, and the engine wasn't fully warm yet, which could also be a contributing factor, but it seemed to pick up kind of slow. Is that normal? I've been on loaner CLA250s and they seem to have a better pick up. Any opinions / any way to see if my acceleration is optimal to the cars fullest potential?
It’s your imagination.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by Elbandito
I had the wrist pin repair done about 1 year ago and that was one of the issues I noticed. I lost about 20-30% of power and the transmission also hesitated. MB, of Columbus, GA, tried to fix it unsuccessfully 3 times and I got impatient and sold it.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG in drag
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I had the wrist pin repair done about 1 year ago and that was one of the issues I noticed. I lost about 20-30% of power and the transmission also hesitated. MB, of Columbus, GA, tried to fix it unsuccessfully 3 times and I got impatient and sold it.
Any dyno numbers and/or Vbox data to support the 20-30% claim? Otherwise, I tend to agree with Mikey53.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
Any dyno numbers and/or Vbox data to support the 20-30% claim? Otherwise, I tend to agree with Mikey53.
No stats...the car just dogged it. It was terrible, my wife even noticed the hesitation. I did an informal 0-60 test, and I don't recall the exact number but it was about 4 seconds slower than the advertised speed. The dealer said there was air in the turbo line, but that repair did nothing.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 AM

AMG in drag
~10.5 seconds for 0-60? That sounds more like a catastrophic failure to me. I guess they didn't know what they were doing, huh.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
~10.5 seconds for 0-60? That sounds more like a catastrophic failure to me. I guess they didn't know what they were doing, huh.
Yep, I think it was their first repair and they didn't have a clue. In fact, they broke off some tool in the engine and had to remove the engine and take it to a machine shop to have their tool removed. It was a disaster.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2018_02_04_21_28_06.pdf (70.9 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by PeteInGilroy; 02-05-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-05-2018, 12:32 AM

delete

Last edited by PeteInGilroy; 02-05-2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: delete
Old 02-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Honda Prelude VTEC
I just recently had this repair done and it took about a week and a half to complete. It ended up working out for me because I went on a business trip for about week. When I got my car back I took it easy on the car for the first thousand miles to break in the new components, but after that, it drove just fine. The dealership gave me a E300 loaner and it felt very similar in terms of power and acceleration. Maybe it's placebo, or simply because I drove around very slowly and carefully for that first thousand mile, but the car feels just as good or even better than before. The only negative thing I've experienced so far with this repair, was it smelled like coolant in the engine compartment for the first few days, but since that's evaporated it's been fine.

As a side note, I had two different rentals on my business trip, a Ford Escape and Chevy Malibu. Both of which had a 1.5L turbo four. The Ford was somewhat quick and fun to drive, while the Malibu was very slow and dull. Both cars were definitely slower and not as fun to drive as the C300.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:26 PM

2015 C300
Hi, these cars are kinda a little slow sometimes to begin with. Now that its been repaired (or molested) depending on if you are an optimist or pessimist) even if it is performing exactly as it was you mind will screw with you. Unfortunately a large portion of us here are somewhat car enthusiasts and will feel violated and not whole about the car with a repair of this nature. I guess time is a healer OR a changer. The latter being a trade in on another car. I am having mine done this upcoming Tuesday so upon completion I will fall on one side of the fence or another. I must admit I am already predisposed to thinking my potential love affair with this particular W205 car may be permanently tainted- I don't know yet. I was a dyed in the wool MB enthusiast but Man lately i'm getting tired-older too- of wasting so much time on these cars. Its like dating a supermodel with an STD. You know you shouldn't but damn it all to hell you do anyway. I could've bough a late model 6 cyl Impala LTZ for the same money. Hell after this I just might. Anyway give it a while and see if the repair itself is ok, then slowly (no pun intended) your confidence will build. Good luck.