C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Loud Noise when the car is off

Old 05-24-2018, 02:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe
Loud Noise when the car is off

So i have a 2017 C300 coupe. This problem has been going on since last year june, which is when i got the car.

There is a noise coming out of the engine bay whenever the car sits parked outside on a hot day.

I live in a building so i park indoors, however this sound happens after driving 15-30 mins (normal driving, not aggressive) and then parking the car for at least 30 mins to an hour.

Here's a two links to 2 videos of the issue:

1) https://youtu.be/1k76yzVUNF8

2) https://youtu.be/p3otM_EzEPE

I've spoken to my local dealer. What they said is that theres an electrical coolant pump that runs when the car is on. Also, theres an auxiliary pump that runs when the car is off. For the past year they have been telling me its normal. However, i went 2 weeks ago and FINALLY had them acknowledge that it is NOT normal. I have an appointment on May 28th.

Anyone has this issue or knows what it could be caused by?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
I have this loud whistling noise too. Let me know what the stealership tells ya.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Usually caused by the fans in the headlight modules if you have LED lighting, do you?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:08 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by applehaus01
I have this loud whistling noise too. Let me know what the stealership tells ya.
I dropped off the car on Monday, they gave me a loaner. Haven’t heard back from them yet about the issue.

Can you take a video and post it whenever the issue occurs? I want to compare how it is. The reason being there should be a very low noise when you turn off the car which is the pump/valve closing. That is completely normal, which is not what I’m getting lol!
Old 05-29-2018, 11:09 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Usually caused by the fans in the headlight modules if you have LED lighting, do you?
I do have LED lights but I don’t think its what causing this noise. Why do you suggest that though?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by mhabashy16

I do have LED lights but I don’t think its what causing this noise. Why do you suggest that though?
Because that's normally what happens, the car sits hot, the light control units get hot, and cooling fans in them can run for an hour afterwards if needed. They generally create a high pitched sound that people notice, and it's so long after the car has been shut down, people tend to notice. There are bulletins saying that it's normal, as long as that's where the noise is coming from.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
The rough shift from 1-3 stealership told me oh that’s normal. They designed it that way. Really?
Now this whistling bullcrap is normal again. Really? This is my first owned MB but we had Mb’s growing up and none of this rough shift **** happened and now whistling engine crap. Krauts needs to do some fixing. I hope this is not my last MB. My bro told me to get a Bimmer I should’ve listened.

Last edited by applehaus01; 05-30-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by applehaus01
The rough shift from 1-3 stealership told me oh that’s normal. They designed it that way. Really?
Now this whistling bullcrap is normal again. Really? This is my first owned MB but we had Mb’s growing up and none of this rough shift **** happened and now whistling engine crap. Krauts needs to do some fixing. I hope this is not my last MB. My bro told me to get a Bimmer I should’ve listened.
So the dealership called me today, they said they have potentially found the culprit. There’s a collapsed hose that equalizes the AC pressure system. They’re going to replace the whole unit tomorrow. I’m gonna to pick it up and hopefully no more noise.

As per your reply, Mercedes is great quality, unfortunately no manufacturer can guarantee that there will no issues. There are always outliers and I happen to be one. I would always choose Mercedes over BMW.

Last edited by mhabashy16; 07-12-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 sedan 2017

So the dealership called me today, they said they have potentially found the culprit. There’s a collapsed hose that equalizes the AC pressure system. They’re going to replace the whole unit tomorrow. I’m gonna to pick it up and hopefully no more noise.

As per your reply, Mercedes is great quality, unfortunately no manufacturer can guarantee that there will no issues. There are always outliers and I happen to be one. I would always choose Mercedes over BMW.
mhabashy16 I have the exact same problem with my wife's 2017 c300 sedan. The same whistle when the car is off. it can go on and off for up to an hour after shutting the engine off. I see that your dealer thought it was a collapsed hose the equalizes the AC. Did this solve your problem? if so can you give me your dealers name? I brought back our car to the dealer 4 times and still hasn't solved the issue. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:12 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
Hey Ron! Yes my dealer has resolved the issue and charged all the work on the warranty. They diagnosed it as a collapsed hose in the AC unit which equalizes the pressure. Due to the hose being collapsed, you have that noise.

Since they replaced the unit, it rarely happens. If it does happen, it’s very very quiete and goes away fairly quick.

My dealer is called Silvwe Star Mercedes Benz. If you speak to them, ask to speak with a person called George. He’s th foreman that diagnoses all the issues. Tell him Mohamed sent you, he will know me from all the times I went back to them 😂.

i hope your issue gets sorted out.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:52 PM

c300 sedan 2017
Hey Ron! Yes my dealer has resolved the issue and charged all the work on the warranty. They diagnosed it as a collapsed hose in the AC unit which equalizes the pressure. Due to the hose being collapsed, you have that noise.

Since they replaced the unit, it rarely happens. If it does happen, it’s very very quiete and goes away fairly quick.

My dealer is called Silvwe Star Mercedes Benz. If you speak to them, ask to speak with a person called George. He’s th foreman that diagnoses all the issues. Tell him Mohamed sent you, he will know me from all the times I went back to them 😂.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time in helping me with this information.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
Anytime Ron. Let me know what happens with you.

Also, just to be sure, it’s called Silver Star Mercedes Benz in Montreal, Canada.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:09 PM

c300 sedan 2017
Anytime Ron. Let me know what happens with you.

Also, just to be sure, it’s called Silver Star Mercedes Benz in Montreal, Canada.
Thanks again Mohamed. I am in Scottsdale Arizona, so I will have my dealer contact Silver Star in Montreal. I will let you know what they find. Your video is almost exactly the same as the video I took of our car and showed my dealer. I really appreciate your help. Ron
Old 11-15-2018, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
I wonder if this is similar to what you guys are experiencing? I know it says it only applies to cars produced before Jan 2016 and you have 2017s though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI20.10-P-064462_Ver_1.pdf (36.3 KB, 162 views)
The following users liked this post:
benzdude (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM

c300 sedan 2017
Thanks Joe, but I don't think this is the same thing. In my case I just backed the car (when cold) out of the garage and 20 minutes later the sound started. It doesn't seem to be related to engine temp. It can happen when engine is hot or cold. It's more of a whistle like a pressure leak may sound like. I don't think it's a motor or led light cool down sound. My dealer thought it was the AC balance valve. He replaced it but I don't think he replaced the hoses. So I think what Mohamed's dealer did could be the answer. Thanks very much Joe for checking.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by ron50
Thanks Joe, but I don't think this is the same thing. In my case I just backed the car (when cold) out of the garage and 20 minutes later the sound started. It doesn't seem to be related to engine temp. It can happen when engine is hot or cold. It's more of a whistle like a pressure leak may sound like. I don't think it's a motor or led light cool down sound. My dealer thought it was the AC balance valve. He replaced it but I don't think he replaced the hoses. So I think what Mohamed's dealer did could be the answer. Thanks very much Joe for checking.
We have seen issues with the refrigerant line under the hood, they run the high side line inside the low side line and they often leak, but after 20 min the pressure has to be equalized already, there's no way it's still making noise.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
M3

Hey Mohamed, will you message me a copy of your repair order for my dealer? Or post it on here. It would def help us out that have this issue so the dealers can look it up easily.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
M3
Originally Posted by ArtyV
Hey Mohamed, will you message me a copy of your repair order for my dealer? Or post it on here. It would def help us out that have this issue so the dealers can look it up easily.
ya there man?