C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C400 CV Axles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
C400 CV Axles

Hey guys, just wanted to get a couple questions answered. I bought a C400 this weekend and it has the infamous axle pop/clunk. Unfortunately, I am a few months out of warranty. I will see if my dealer will good-will the repair, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

For those who have had them replaced under warranty, did they replace them with the same part number? Was there just a bad batch/isolated issue at the supplier? I noticed that the C450 also uses the same PN and I don't recall seeing threads with these issues.

If they will not good-will them, I was also thinking of picking up a used axle for $150 vs. $850 new, that doesn't seem like a bad idea if it was a batch issue (as long as this axle isn't from that batch).

Let me know your thoughts! I absolutely love the car in every way so far

Last edited by bzammitt; 03-07-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c400
Originally Posted by bzammitt
Hey guys, just wanted to get a couple questions answered. I bought a C400 this weekend and it has the infamous axle pop/clunk. Unfortunately, I am a few months out of warranty. I will see if my dealer will good-will the repair, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

For those who have had them replaced under warranty, did they replace them with the same part number? Was there just a bad batch/isolated issue at the supplier? I noticed that the C450 also uses the same PN and I don't recall seeing threads with these issues.

If they will not good-will them, I was also thinking of picking up a used axle for $150 vs. $850 new, that doesn't seem like a bad idea if it was a batch issue (as long as this axle isn't from that batch).

do you mean the front CV axels? if so yes I had mine replaced under warranty but I don't know what the part number was or if it was different for each side.

I do have this grumbling sounds when im drivng in a parking lot full of bumpy ice/snow...the dealer said the rear axel damps need replacing so I am waiting for warranty on that as well..

but the fronts are a common issue with all the c400, essentially the initial factory ones are garbage...
Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C400
As I understand it, the part is actually different and should have a different part#, or the listed original part should say it's been superceded by the new one. The original run of axles was defective or improperly designed.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
Originally Posted by GJC400
As I understand it, the part is actually different and should have a different part#, or the listed original part should say it's been superceded by the new one. The original run of axles was defective or improperly designed.
Interesting..everything I’m seeing (C300, C400, C450) all use PN 2053303806 for the axle, which makes me think only certain cars had the issue because it was an isolated batch issue? If someone had theirs replaced under warranty, do you still have your service order that shows what PN they were replaced with?!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:23 PM

C400
Interesting..everything I’m seeing (C300, C400, C450) all use PN 2053303806 for the axle, which makes me think only certain cars had the issue because it was an isolated batch issue? If someone had theirs replaced under warranty, do you still have your service order that shows what PN they were replaced with?!
That part# may very well be the new part#. It might be more difficult to get the old one of it's been removed from parts lists. I will dig up my old work order for this and if I'm successful will post part#s used.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:46 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
That part# may very well be the new part#. It might be more difficult to get the old one of it's been removed from parts lists. I will dig up my old work order for this and if I'm successful will post part#s used.
Doesn't look like it since I can find used 2015 C300 axles on eBay with that part number...but yes, please do if you can! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:01 PM

C400
Found this in the meantime: https://www.oemercedesbenzparts.com/...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D

The section lower down on the page that says "replaces:" seems to have the older part#s
Old 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
Found this in the meantime: https://www.oemercedesbenzparts.com/...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D

The section lower down on the page that says "replaces:" seems to have the older part#s
Good call..I think I might roll the dice with a used 205-330-38-06 then!
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lunar Blue Sedan 2015 C400 RB25DET powered 1998 Nissan 240x S14 2006 Nissan 350z Drift Spec

I just bough a c400 and I'm hearing the same noise. It's not a loud noise so it's probably just starting to go. It's a bummer as this part is so expensive and I don't know if both axles are bad or just one.
I can hear it sometimes while turning left or right.
I'm wondering how did you fix yours.
Was it on both sides? Did you buy a used or new part? Was it oem or aftermarket?
I found some used ones for 180 oem but I don't know if it will be the same bad batch or not.
Also found aftermarket ones for 450.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 AM

2015 Mercedes C400
Originally Posted by bcnr33hideaki
I just bough a c400 and I'm hearing the same noise. It's not a loud noise so it's probably just starting to go. It's a bummer as this part is so expensive and I don't know if both axles are bad or just one.
I can hear it sometimes while turning left or right.
I'm wondering how did you fix yours.
Was it on both sides? Did you buy a used or new part? Was it oem or aftermarket?
I found some used ones for 180 oem but I don't know if it will be the same bad batch or not.
Also found aftermarket ones for 450.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
So I don't think my noise is the axles...most people say they have a clicking. Mine is a single pop/clunk when my wheels are turned left and I go over a bump. Doesn't happen when I go slow. It sounds like it's coming from higher up, like the strut mount. BTW, haven't fixed it yet. Sorry..
Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c400

I had mine replaced under warranty, I don't know if it was same part number but the mechanic at MB said the original CVs that came with the car was very poorly designed so they all have that issue..the new ones they replace it with is much better..hope that helps
Old 11-06-2019, 03:15 PM

C43. GS-T Spyder. 20th AE GTi.
Anyone have any luck getting MB to replace these outside of warranty knowing that the part was junk in the first place?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Lunar Blue Sedan 2015 C400 RB25DET powered 1998 Nissan 240x S14 2006 Nissan 350z Drift Spec
Thanks for the input shang12
Old 11-06-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigTurboC4
Anyone have any luck getting MB to replace these outside of warranty knowing that the part was junk in the first place?
I doubt that they would do anything outside of warranty but who knows
Old 11-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by bcnr33hideaki
I doubt that they would do anything outside of warranty but who knows
They replaced my seat and seat heaters after I was out of warranty.

My axle also did this, but only one. MB replaced them both for me no charge. They said the sound came from a bad design and is not actually failing, but they replace them anyways and prefer to replace them in pairs. After they are replaced, you get a new 2 year warranty on them.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by GringoBling

My axle also did this, but only one. MB replaced them both for me no charge. They said the sound came from a bad design and is not actually failing, but they replace them anyways and prefer to replace them in pairs. After they are replaced, you get a new 2 year warranty on them.
That's really good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 C 300 4MATIC

I would have the dealership lookup recalls for this particular issue. This might be an issue MB is aware of and dealership might be more willing to help. I just had a software update done for free even with the car being out of warranty.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by DoorHandle_LED
I would have the dealership lookup recalls for this particular issue. This might be an issue MB is aware of and dealership might be more willing to help. I just had a software update done for free even with the car being out of warranty.
there's an L.I. about it
Old 11-12-2019, 03:59 PM

C43. GS-T Spyder. 20th AE GTi.
Originally Posted by GringoBling

Are you speaking of your dealership in particular or you contacted MB directly to get approval for this?