C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Check Engine Code P052E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
MB C300 4matic
code P052E MB C300 4matic

Originally Posted by DoorHandle_LED
I haven't gone to the dealer. But from what I was reading online. It's $1500-2000 repair.
I just wanted to thank you for posting all of the info regarding this code P052E . I am going through this right now on a 2015 C300 4 matic it has 59 k on the odometer.
With your information I think I am better informed. I am deciding now to get the part and attempt the fix or bring it into a mechanic. Had a very good email exchange with Excellerate Sevrice out of Branford CT regarding this issue. anyway thank you for your post and all of the information you provided
Old 03-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 C 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Brandon Ischar
Hi, This link does not work anymore. Any chance this data is still available?
Unfortunately the MBWIS.NET site was taken down a while back. Is there anything specific you're looking for?

Originally Posted by mgomez149
I just wanted to thank you for posting all of the info regarding this code P052E . I am going through this right now on a 2015 C300 4 matic it has 59 k on the odometer.
With your information I think I am better informed. I am deciding now to get the part and attempt the fix or bring it into a mechanic. Had a very good email exchange with Excellerate Sevrice out of Branford CT regarding this issue. anyway thank you for your post and all of the information you provided
No problem. I'm happy to help!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Anyone try this repair themselves yet? I'm currently out of warranty as well and am evaluating if doing it myself is feasible for a novice.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 C 300
I had this code come up about a year ago and brought it to the dealer where they replaced the PCV valve under warranty and said the issue will not come back. In the past week I had the code come up again so I will be bringing it to the dealer once again. Does anyone know what would cause this problem to happen again?
Old 04-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
MB C300 4matic
P052e code in 2015 C300About one month ago this code came up on my wife's 2015 C300 4 matic I did buy the part online (274-090-17-29-80 - Intake Line) cost was $260
I have not installed this yet
I tried a simple fix first
I knew the engine had 0w-40 in it and the level on the dipstick was just over the max line
I am taking a guess that the 40 weight oil was to thick and the level was too high
I changed out the oil to 5w-30 full synthetic and made sure the level of oil was right in the middle of the min and max line on the dipstick
with my OBD reader I erased the code and have not seen the code reappear for about three weeks now
The following users liked this post:
5p0rt0 (10-24-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi
I'm not sure of the Check Engine Code but it sounds similar to what part is being replaced; the vent kit according to my SA. 2016 C300 4Matic @ 75K km's. $600 parts + $1000 full day labor. Luckily I still have a week left til my factory warranty ends. CEL was on for a few hours then turned off but dealer diagnosed it while the CEL is on.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:49 AM
P P

c300 2016 4matic
Have you seen the code after you did that oil fix? Stated 3 weeks, but any updates?

Originally Posted by mgomez149
P052e code in 2015 C300About one month ago this code came up on my wife's 2015 C300 4 matic I did buy the part online (274-090-17-29-80 - Intake Line) cost was $260
I have not installed this yet
I tried a simple fix first
I knew the engine had 0w-40 in it and the level on the dipstick was just over the max line
I am taking a guess that the 40 weight oil was to thick and the level was too high
I changed out the oil to 5w-30 full synthetic and made sure the level of oil was right in the middle of the min and max line on the dipstick
with my OBD reader I erased the code and have not seen the code reappear for about three weeks now
Hey, did the engine light come on after 3 weeks? Or did that oil fix and making sure it’s right in the middle help? Thanks

Old 10-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 4matic
Cool

The oil change fix that mgomez149 suggested worked for my 2016 C300 4matic. Will be changing my oil at 7,500 mile intervals.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
None
I’m a Tech for MB, maybe I can shed some insight. The component we replace has an oil separator and the actual crankcase vent valve, we call them vent valves for short since the oil separator is including in the line. It’s also called an intake line since it is also connected to the intake system off the turbo. Most dealers are gonna ask for 5+ hours because it is very labor intensive and if you do not have the required tools it is almost impossible. You have to have some way to support the engine as the vent valve lives behind the drivers side engine mount. You also need long thin extensions, universal external torx sockets, torx sockets, a screw jack of one that sits on top of the engine end holds it from the top. Definitely not a DIY without those tools and a hoist.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jrounsborg:
chassis (03-25-2021), Cilo C Class (12-16-2020), Cosworth2000 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
C300
Have a 2015 C300 W205 RWD with 100k miles. I had this P052E issue come up periodically with the check engine light about 6 months ago. It would also fail to restart sometimes when at a light using the ECO/Start-Stop feature. So basically you would stall at a red light, all dashboard lights would come on, and you would have to put into P or N to restart the car. I had looked up the code and it pointed to the crankcase breather assembly. I was planning to get it replaced but it didn't seem critical.

One day, while at a red light, I had this occur but on the restart, there was black smoke and a burning smell. The car failed to start after that. Went into limp mode. Had to tow to a local Mercedes shop. After a little runaround, was told battery voltage is low and that starter was bad, and the crankcase breather assembly needed to be replaced. Quoted ~ $3k job. I found it hard to believe all this went bad.

I had replaced the battery about 1.5 yrs ago on my own and had no issues so I got a free warranty replacement from advance auto parts. I put that in and bought a Bosch OEM starter for $300 and had them install along with OEM Mercedes Crankcase Breather Assembly which they got from the dealer. Given the difficulty in installing those parts and the fact the car was in limp mode, I had them do that work and negotiated to $2k.

The car started and works fine. I was able to drive it away. No error code or check engine light on the dashboard. I still get the eco start stop stall issue when restarting from a red light. I can put it into P or N and it restarts. Also if I turn off ECO start-stop, no issues. I try to remember to turn off but sometimes my wife drives it or I'll forget and we stall at a red light.

Any ideas why this is happening even with a new crankcase breather assembly, starter, and battery? Is there a fairly simple fix? I've read everything from the fuse, battery programming, fuel pump, but just not sure. BTW I did change the auxiliary battery under the passenger about 2 yrs ago but it said auxiliary battery dysfunction on the dashboard back then. There are no error messages now. As a kicker, I do at times smell gas in the cabin when starting the car as described on the forum but I wonder if that's another issue.

Last edited by MBenzOwner; 03-09-2021 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:25 PM

Mercedes C300 Coupe
Hi, I have a 2017 I bought in October 2020. I bought the extended warranty plan, and the car still has less than 25k miles. My check engine light was on, and this was the issue - but I am being told this is NOT covered under any warranty. Is this true? The dealer quoted my $900. The light went off before I went in for the diags, so wondering how urgent this repair is.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:56 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by Kim D
Hi, I have a 2017 I bought in October 2020. I bought the extended warranty plan, and the car still has less than 25k miles. My check engine light was on, and this was the issue - but I am being told this is NOT covered under any warranty. Is this true? The dealer quoted my $900. The light went off before I went in for the diags, so wondering how urgent this repair is.
What was the CEL code?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:35 PM

Mercedes C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by stockbmw
What was the CEL code?
P052E71
Old 03-25-2021, 09:12 PM

2015 C300 4 matic
Originally Posted by MBenzOwner
Have a 2015 C300 W205 RWD with 100k miles. I had this P052E issue come up periodically with the check engine light about 6 months ago. It would also fail to restart sometimes when at a light using the ECO/Start-Stop feature. So basically you would stall at a red light, all dashboard lights would come on, and you would have to put into P or N to restart the car. I had looked up the code and it pointed to the crankcase breather assembly. I was planning to get it replaced but it didn't seem critical.

One day, while at a red light, I had this occur but on the restart, there was black smoke and a burning smell. The car failed to start after that. Went into limp mode. Had to tow to a local Mercedes shop. After a little runaround, was told battery voltage is low and that starter was bad, and the crankcase breather assembly needed to be replaced. Quoted ~ $3k job. I found it hard to believe all this went bad.

I had replaced the battery about 1.5 yrs ago on my own and had no issues so I got a free warranty replacement from advance auto parts. I put that in and bought a Bosch OEM starter for $300 and had them install along with OEM Mercedes Crankcase Breather Assembly which they got from the dealer. Given the difficulty in installing those parts and the fact the car was in limp mode, I had them do that work and negotiated to $2k.

The car started and works fine. I was able to drive it away. No error code or check engine light on the dashboard. I still get the eco start stop stall issue when restarting from a red light. I can put it into P or N and it restarts. Also if I turn off ECO start-stop, no issues. I try to remember to turn off but sometimes my wife drives it or I'll forget and we stall at a red light.

Any ideas why this is happening even with a new crankcase breather assembly, starter, and battery? Is there a fairly simple fix? I've read everything from the fuse, battery programming, fuel pump, but just not sure. BTW I did change the auxiliary battery under the passenger about 2 yrs ago but it said auxiliary battery dysfunction on the dashboard back then. There are no error messages now. As a kicker, I do at times smell gas in the cabin when starting the car as described on the forum but I wonder if that's another issue.

I have the same problems. Besides the PO52E I occasionally smell gas in the cabin. Also I have a message that auxiliary battery malfunction. It’s 2015 C300 4 matic.
what is the deal?
Old 03-29-2021, 01:55 PM

c300 w205
Hello from the Europe here. I am driving 2015 c300 w205 , USA model. Got that code after 50k km. There is no any other effect on the engine, everything works well. I asked the official dealer about the repair, he asked for 600 eur for the parts (attached picture) and the labour 700 eur = 1300 eur. I checked with other unofficial services and found a guy who changed only the valve itself (attached picture) and cleaned everything around. The error disappeared, everything works fine. I paid 130 eur ( ~150 USD). I like the real, actual prices of the work

Last edited by Alexander S; 03-29-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:56 PM

c300 w205
Originally Posted by Sue Daven
I have the same problems. Besides the PO52E I occasionally smell gas in the cabin. Also I have a message that auxiliary battery malfunction. It’s 2015 C300 4 matic.
what is the deal?
I had the auxiliary batter malfunction error. The clamps of the battery were loose and did not charge properly. I fastened them, the error disappeared, no more problems.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:53 AM

C300
Originally Posted by Sue Daven
what is the deal?
I've had all three problems. Unfortunately, they are three separate issues.

1. The auxiliary battery is below the passenger footwell. Can be changed as there are videos online but takes about 1-2 hrs and about $50-100 of parts. This only affects start-stop so it's not a critical repair but more of a nuisance.
2. The P052E is the crankcase vent assembly. It's a snake-like monstrosity part that can not be changed by most home mechanics. I've seen non-Mercedes OEM quality parts online for 350 but the dealer charged around 700. It is like a 7-11hr job though, so labor can add up. I had an abrupt car failure with it but people have reported driving for a while without issues.
3. The fuel issue is very common and due to a leak at the hose connections to the fuel rail. You can prob have any knowledgeable mechanic order the hoses for $50-100 and put them in. The mechanic also replaced the o-ring for the high-pressure fuel pump. This whole repair was only 1-2 hrs labor. One issue i had was just changing the rubber hose at the bottom as it didn't solve the issue. Since the parts are cheap, it's best to just change both.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:15 AM

GLA250 2015
Hello Guys
i owned 2015 MB GLA250 and has reached to 56,000 miles. I have been having On/OFF Check engine light. I used the my friend scanner and got the code P052E, has detected a signal coming from the CKP (crankcase pressure sensor) that is inappropriate for the existing degree of pressure. Contacted my regular MB mechanic and he told me its a big and costly job. Any assistance appreciated ....
Old 03-31-2021, 10:17 AM

C300
That's great you got it resolved but for most of us, the part is sold as one snake-like monstrosity from dealer or even OEM generic. I suspect the portion with the sensor / electrical components which triggers the code, is not that piece, so the code may come back. Also given the labor involved 7-11hrs, it makes sense to just change the whole part rather than having to do it twice.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:21 AM

C300
Originally Posted by jamusa06
Hello Guys
i owned 2015 MB GLA250 and has reached to 56,000 miles. I have been having On/OFF Check engine light. I used the my friend scanner and got the code P052E, has detected a signal coming from the CKP (crankcase pressure sensor) that is inappropriate for the existing degree of pressure. Contacted my regular MB mechanic and he told me its a big and costly job. Any assistance appreciated ....
The forums are full of this issue. It is a crankcase vent assembly. About 7-11 hrs labor and a $350-700 part. You might be able to find an independent german shop to do it cheaper but it will still be an expensive job.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:26 AM

c300 w205
Originally Posted by MBenzOwner
That's great you got it resolved but for most of us, the part is sold as one snake-like monstrosity from dealer or even OEM generic. I suspect the portion with the sensor / electrical components which triggers the code, is not that piece, so the code may come back. Also given the labor involved 7-11hrs, it makes sense to just change the whole part rather than having to do it twice.
7-11 hr it is for the whole system change. We are talking mostly 2 hr, change the valve and cleaning up. Something like that:

I don't know if it comes back, I will post here in such case.

Long story short, the whole modern philosophy of the car repair is very simple: nobody is interested to actually fix the item. The dealer must sell you the whole system. Soon enough they will offer you to change the whole engine if any error comes up. Of course, mercedes is supposed to be luxury brand for the rich people who do not care about the price and repairs, but I assume that people in this forum does not belong them.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:57 AM

C300
There is a lot wrong with the modern repair system and it is geared toward saving actual labor time vs the listed labor time but that's a bigger issue. This is what the part looked like in my 2015 W205. Not sure you can change one portion as those are not easily available from the dealer or online parts stores. Maybe junkyard parts but that comes with its own issues. Your video is for an older model. I wish it was that easy.

Believe me, I thought of everything to try and fix this on my own but in the end, it is difficult to access and given the labor involved, it seems better to replace the whole part given it is available for ~$350, even on amazon. Hate to have to put the labor in twice. Even the dealer Mercedes one is made by the other company (Kayser?) so generic may be ok. It is an odd part so I can't imagine many generic companies wanting/needing to make this. Those that have had the part replaced have not had recurrent issues. I think fundamentally, the part is poorly designed given its numerous failures. The failure point may even be in the oil separator portion attached low on the engine. Hopefully, with it occurring more frequently now as cars get older, mechanics will get more familiar and possibly offer lower labor charges.
The following users liked this post:
Alexander S (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 04:01 PM

c300 w205
Hmmm ok video is wrong.
But my car is w205 and my mechanic changed the part no 260 in the attached picture, I think.
Now it is ok, but of course maybe the error will come back.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:58 PM

C300
That's not the same assembly as most W205. I have a 2015 C300 with a M274 2.0L 4 cyl engine and it looks like the picture I attached earlier. This setup may be for a different engine or different version/yr. If you post more details, it may be helpful to others.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by 5p0rt0
The oil change fix that mgomez149 suggested worked for my 2016 C300 4matic. Will be changing my oil at 7,500 mile intervals.
5w30 engine oil changing still fixes the p052e code problem?

Or did the code come back?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Code P052E