C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 wrist pin problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 765 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Demarko7
Hi Everyone, I am thinking of buying a c class W205 C220 Bluetec (12/2014) with 75k miles.

I have the VIN and engine number, how can I check online if the car was on the list of affected cars with the wrist pins issue?

VIN: WDD2050042R031271
ENGINE: 651921 32 455428

Thank you!
It did not affect the diesel engines.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
It did not affect the diesel engines.
Thanks a lot.

Something offtopic, The new c class w206 is coming out early in 2021. Do you think I should wait until then to get a used W205? Probably I would be able to a get newer W205 maybe a 2017,2018 model with the same money I am gonna spend now for a 2015..

Old 02-16-2021, 02:58 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by Demarko7
Thanks a lot.

Something offtopic, The new c class w206 is coming out early in 2021. Do you think I should wait until then to get a used W205? Probably I would be able to a get newer W205 maybe a 2017,2018 model with the same money I am gonna spend now for a 2015..
Like most things, newer model comes out, the price on older out dated model should go down. But are you be able to wait 6 to 9 months?
Old 12-07-2021, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 mercedes c300
Wrist pin issue

Can some one please help me? Trying to figure out if my car was one of the cars with wrist pin issues. Thanks!

here is the VIN 55SWF4KB7FU070036
Old 03-10-2022, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200
In April of last year, my 2017 C200 (W205 M274), lost piston 1 (cylinder 1), ejected the piston through the engine block resulting in total engine failure at 86,737KM (53,896 miles) on the odometer. I spoke directly to a MB corporate manager and she told me that since my car was 6,270 KMs out of warrant that MB would not cover (any) repair totaling over 12,500CHF.
My car was paid off before the engine failure (thank God) so since the cost of the repairs was practically going to be the car's total value (or close enough to it) I decided to recycle the POS. Despite having excellent service records (all of which performed at MB of Zürich) the engine failed with less than 87,000KMs on the odometer such is unacceptable for a MB product!
Even if MB had (partially or fully) covered the repairs I still would have traded that rolling piece of crap in for a different car. If the engine did not last even 87,000KMs what makes me think a new one would be any better? Mercedes is a **** brand that produces cheaply build ****ty automobiles and they have terrible customer service (at no extra charge).
I did not pay over 36,000CHF for attitude and terrible customer service, I could have got such from my dog for free and saved myself a headache.

Before hanging up I told that MB manager woman on the phone, "I will never drive another Mercedes-Benz". I filed a formal complaint with the Swiss department of transportation safety as this could have very easily resulted in me loosing control of my car at the speed (Autobahn) I was traveling on.

I replaced that pile of dog **** with a BMW 340i, I have had zero problems with my new car
The following users liked this post:
davidijames (04-07-2023)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
M3
I thought I read somewhere the wrist pin issue was just the first couple years of the W205 is that correct? Also, what years are affected with the piston crack issue? Thanks
Old 03-13-2022, 08:08 PM

C200
Just assume all of the model years of the W205 generation have the wrist pin/ piston failure issue. I have read on other forums of 2018 (re-design) C class turbo 4cyl petrol engines throwing rods, cracking pistons and wrist pin problems despite MB "redesigning" the engine to "fix" the design flaw. And good luck getting MB to do anything for you once your car is out of warranty even if you have excellent service records.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:09 PM

C200
Originally Posted by ArtyV
I thought I read somewhere the wrist pin issue was just the first couple years of the W205 is that correct? Also, what years are affected with the piston crack issue? Thanks
Just assume all of the model years of the W205 generation have the wrist pin/ piston failure issue. I have read on other forums of 2018 (re-design) C class turbo 4cyl petrol engines throwing rods, cracking pistons and wrist pin problems despite MB "redesigning" the engine to "fix" the design flaw. And good luck getting MB to do anything for you once your car is out of warranty even if you have excellent service records.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:11 PM

C200
Just assume all of the model years of the W205 generation have the wrist pin/ piston failure issue. I have read on other forums of 2018 (re-design) C class turbo 4 cyl petrol engines throwing rods, cracking pistons and wrist pin problems despite MB "redesigning" the engine to "fix" the design flaw. And good luck getting MB to do anything for you once your car is out of warranty even if you have excellent service records.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:36 PM

M3
Originally Posted by chocolateaddict
Just assume all of the model years of the W205 generation have the wrist pin/ piston failure issue. I have read on other forums of 2018 (re-design) C class turbo 4 cyl petrol engines throwing rods, cracking pistons and wrist pin problems despite MB "redesigning" the engine to "fix" the design flaw. And good luck getting MB to do anything for you once your car is out of warranty even if you have excellent service records.
Thanks for the reply, how can I tell if I start to have issues other than loud abnormal noises? Any way to tell early? My warranty is up this summer.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:46 PM

C200
Thanks for the reply, how can I tell if I start to have issues other than loud abnormal noises? Any way to tell early? My warranty is up this summer.
Your guess is as good as mine, I did not hear any obvious piston or lifter ticking or rattling noises (as it is these petrol M274 engines tick like a diesel) then one day while on the autobahn I suddenly lost all power and my check engine light come on... I am thankful I did not loose control and crash because the speed I was traveling at I could have very easily lost control.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:54 PM

M3
Originally Posted by chocolateaddict
Your guess is as good as mine, I did not hear any obvious piston or lifter ticking or rattling noises (as it is these petrol M274 engines tick like a diesel) then one day while on the autobahn I suddenly lost all power and my check engine light come on... I am thankful I did not loose control and crash because the speed I was traveling at I could have very easily lost control.
O wow! Yeah lucky!
Old 07-30-2022, 06:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes C300 M274
Originally Posted by mikefamig
Did Mercedes ever do anything to help owners of the early 2015 C300 with defective piston wrist pins? Is the owner completely responsible for the repair after warranty runs out on the car?

Mike.
My question is did they ever do anything to fix the problem in 2016 - today. My 2018 C300 C Class Coupe M274 E20 GA 205.348.22-AU3 had a catastrophic engine failure at just over 13,000 Kms.

Diagnosis thus far is that Cylinder 1 Piston is cracked.

Codes I was able to catch after the engine would no longer start and the check engine light was displayed. Just so happend that day I had a OBD2 reader lying around after doing work on a friends car. Downloaded Carly and the full license for my car.

P030085 Combustion misfiring has been detected.

P030185 Combustion misfiring of cylinder 1 has been detected.

P030285 Combustion misfiring of cylinder 2 has been detected.

P030385 Combustion misfiring of cylinder 3 has been detected.

I had been on the road for less that 4 mins, when the car lost all power while accelerating from 40km - 70km. Prior to this no warning indicators had been displayed in the dashboard instrument cluster, no warnings were even displayed when the engine failed.

The vehicle is 90% driven within the CBD and surrounding suburbs within 15km.

During the last 6 months it is primarily driven in comfort mode due to increasing petrol costs.

The vehicle always receives premium petrol being Shell V-Power 98 (90% of the time) and BP Ultimate Unleaded 98 (10% the remainder) with no additional performance additives.

The vehicle is well serviced, very well maintained, in exceptional overall condition.

The never put under load or driven above 3800 rpm unless at operating temperature of approx. 95. deg C.

I will be pursuing a claim with Mercedes Benz Australia under Lemon Laws and seek an entire engine replacement.

Whist my car is approx. 9 months outside of MB 2 year manufacture warranty Australian Consumer Law, specifically Consumer Guarantees for products stipulate all Australian businesses must provide a set of "automatic guarantees" regardless of standard manufacture warranties given or sold.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:57 AM

Mercedes C300 M274
Took a while (3 months) but MB finally agreed to repair the engine at their expense approx. 12 hrs after I called head office in Germany and after ghosting my local dealership in Australia for weeks on end. Fortunately I did not need a car. Note, I never received a reply from Germany.

Shortly after agreeing to repair my car they advised they needed to replace the engine (also at their expense). A courtesy car was included the same day as they began their works (2 months). Not a sorry or anything of the kind when I picked it up, it did not even get the standard car wash.

What now annoys me is that what I thought was a "New Engine" is in fact just a "Long Block (in which the entire crank assembly including the cylinder head, valves, injection and much more have been completely overhauled and installed using only MB Genuine Parts), compared to a New Engine or New Basic Engine or Basic Engine or Long Block Plus. In short Long Block replacements are a “remanufactured engine” that does not get tested on the manufactures test stand before been sent to the dealership. You can learn more about that at b2bconnect.mercedes-benz.com/gb/products/remanufactured-parts/cars/engines/basic-engine

Even more annoying is that the this Long Block from the "new engine number” 454,306 provided appears to have been produced 86,479 before my failed engine “540,758" OR approx. 47,704 after MB modified their faulty wrist pins that were installed as of engines in 2015 engine number 274 920 30 406 602 on which leads me to believe this engine may have been produced in 2016-2017 ??

Someone please correct me if my understanding about the engine number is incorrect.

Anyway its now been 5 months and with 2,002 km on the engine and is already more noisey on cold starts that the original engine. Transmission also notably louder. I don’t know what to do, I just know I don’t trust this engine, or MB and I will never buy another MB again. Is it all in my head or should I flick it.

If you are interested in what a new m274 long block sounds like with 2,002 km you can download my videos at recorded on a iPhone 101a M274 2018 Cold Start 3m 30sec - 37-40 deg celsius.mov
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...40_deg_celsius

1b M274 2018 Cold Start 35 secs - Bottom Engine Bay + SLOWMO.zip
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...e_Bay_+_SLOWMO

1c M274 2018 Cold Start 10 secs at 50 70 80 95 96 deg celsius 4-10.zip
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...g_celsius_4-10
No warranty was offered on the new long block as it was done under warranty.MB also returned it with a broken PVC line (crank case vent line) and a torn aftermarket pod air filter. Fortunately as soon as I drove it the 2k drive home I inspected their workmanship. Had I not caught this vent line it would not have been too long before I was back for another engine replacement.

Last edited by davidijames; 04-07-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:56 PM

M3
I’ll start by saying I’m glad this thread exists, as I realize it’s been a significant problem, and I appreciate everyone’s time involved including yours. Esp how much time you took to post all this, but ultimately it’s really not helping the cause…you ghosting your dealership etc. when let’s be real man, I download the video and watched it…you have a cai, which shouldn’t cause issues for us w warranty issues, but the reality is, many dealers will try and flag us just for that. And more than likely if you have an intake, you’ve had or still have other mods as well which you know they didn’t have to cover anything at all at that point, no matter if this is a chronic problem or not. It helps their ability to play more games and keep up the bs, instead of this gaining traction and momentum. What model car is this motor in?

Originally Posted by davidijames
Took a while (3 months) but MB finally agreed to repair the engine at their expense approx. 12 hrs after I called head office in Germany and after ghosting my local dealership in Australia for weeks on end. Fortunately I did not need a car. Note, I never received a reply from Germany.

Shortly after agreeing to repair my car they advised they needed to replace the engine (also at their expense). A courtesy car was included the same day as they began their works (2 months). Not a sorry or anything of the kind when I picked it up, it did not even get the standard car wash.

What now annoys me is that what I thought was a "New Engine" is in fact just a "Long Block (in which the entire crank assembly including the cylinder head, valves, injection and much more have been completely overhauled and installed using only MB Genuine Parts), compared to a New Engine or New Basic Engine or Basic Engine or Long Block Plus. In short Long Block replacements are a “remanufactured engine” that does not get tested on the manufactures test stand before been sent to the dealership. You can learn more about that at b2bconnect.mercedes-benz.com/gb/products/remanufactured-parts/cars/engines/basic-engine

Even more annoying is that the this Long Block from the "new engine number” 454,306 provided appears to have been produced 86,479 before my failed engine “540,758" OR approx. 47,704 after MB modified their faulty wrist pins that were installed as of engines in 2015 engine number 274 920 30 406 602 on which leads me to believe this engine may have been produced in 2016-2017 ??

Someone please correct me if my understanding about the engine number is incorrect.

Anyway its now been 5 months and with 2,002 km on the engine and is already more noisey on cold starts that the original engine. Transmission also notably louder. I don’t know what to do, I just know I don’t trust this engine, or MB and I will never buy another MB again. Is it all in my head or should I flick it.

If you are interested in what it sounds like you can download my video at https://readycloud.netgear.com/clien...ld%20Start.mov

No warranty was offered on the new long block as it was done under warranty.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:09 PM

Mercedes C300 M274
I’ll start by saying I’m glad this thread exists, as I realize it’s been a significant problem, and I appreciate everyone’s time involved including yours. Esp how much time you took to post all this, but ultimately it’s really not helping the cause…you ghosting your dealership etc. when let’s be real man, I download the video and watched it…you have a cai, which shouldn’t cause issues for us w warranty issues, but the reality is, many dealers will try and flag us just for that. And more than likely if you have an intake, you’ve had or still have other mods as well which you know they didn’t have to cover anything at all at that point, no matter if this is a chronic problem or not. It helps their ability to play more games and keep up the bs, instead of this gaining traction and momentum. What model car is this motor in?
Hi Arty, it is a 2018 C300 Coupe.

We have very good consumer protection laws in Australia that are above and beyond any warranties offered by a business or manufacture. The reason I ghosted the dealership is because it is their product and my car and you do not get results from the bottom up (i.e the service desk or even principle of the dealership) . I went to MB Au which is just MB Malaysia road side assist (part of the process) and then I went to Germany head office (for a Top down approach). Again my car, their product, let them work out the solution, so I had no interest in what the dealership were trying to offer. They wanted 8k just to diagnose the issue (a issue I am sure they were aware of)

Yes I swapped out the Turbo Air Intake Pipe, Turbo Charge Pipe, installed a Go-Fast-Bits diverter + BOV and a PeddleBox Plus with after market Armaspeed Air filter, KW HAS springs also installed, however these are not performance gains as such (would not result in anymore that 1-2hp if any, just swapping out plastic components likely to crack/fail for illuminum (allloy), as this engine bay does get very hot .

If a engines components cannot withstand an additional 20% power increase (talking about any engine here, not mine) there is something wrong with the manufacturing of that engine.

Thank god MB do not build Air planes, because if you had an over-weight passenger on a flight they would blame that for the plane crashing.

In short the M274 is not a engine I would every recommend performance tweaks too
Old 04-07-2023, 08:57 PM

M3
I def understand and of course you need to escalate in some situations like these. I’m totally on board with that idea, esp given the circumstances of this motor and how things have been handled (not handled) re the issues. What I’m saying is it doesn’t do you any good “ghosting” anyone. Let’s be real there, no one likes getting ignored and the very term ghosting being made up by the newer generations is absolutely pathetic. It’s a degenerates way of putting a title on ignoring someone disrespectfully and attempting to put a spin on it like it’s ok. Obv more than ok to not want to pay for bs like a motor that was made to fail, but ignoring the dealership instead of just respectfully telling them that, or simply letting them know that you’re going to escalate and you’ll be in touch down the line after, is more than likely why you’re in the situation with all the anxiety and unknowns, and why the corporate never contacted you either, and quite possibly why you got a “fix” that wasn’t really a fix but a pacifier to shut you up. Reman parts etc, no warranty etc...

And that’s the tip of the iceberg.
In a perfect world I wouldnt need to say this, but we live in far from a perfect world. There’s always the possibility that the way you handled things also made them half *** the job on your car or worse. You wouldn’t disrespect pple working in a restaurant for the same reason. I have no idea why youd disrespect pple that had your car for that long lol. Just something I wouldn’t do. Another is modding a 300. These things are basically almost pushed to their max already man, what do you expect pushing a commuter non perf car lol? It’s not like it’s an AMG car. It’s just mad weird to me. I’d rather spend a little more on a performance car instead of putting carbon cai’s and stuff on a low level C and winding it out lol. Hey though, if you want to clap your car that’s your prerogative. 😊

Hi Arty, it is a 2018 C300 Coupe.

We have very good consumer protection laws in Australia that are above and beyond any warranties offered by a business or manufacture. The reason I ghosted the dealership is because it is their product and my car and you do not get results from the bottom up (i.e the service desk or even principle of the dealership) . I went to MB Au which is just MB Malaysia road side assist (part of the process) and then I went to Germany head office (for a Top down approach). Again my car, their product, let them work out the solution, so I had no interest in what the dealership were trying to offer. They wanted 8k just to diagnose the issue (a issue I am sure they were aware of)

Yes I swapped out the Turbo Air Intake Pipe, Turbo Charge Pipe, installed a Go-Fast-Bits diverter + BOV and a PeddleBox Plus with after market Armaspeed Air filter, KW HAS springs also installed, however these are not performance gains as such (would not result in anymore that 1-2hp if any, just swapping out plastic components likely to crack/fail for illuminum (allloy), as this engine bay does get very hot .

If a engines components cannot withstand an additional 20% power increase (talking about any engine here, not mine) there is something wrong with the manufacturing of that engine.

Thank god MB do not build Air planes, because if you had an over-weight passenger on a flight they would blame that for the plane crashing.

In short the M274 is not a engine I would every recommend performance tweaks too
Old 04-07-2023, 09:46 PM

Mercedes C300 M274
I def understand and of course you need to escalate in some situations like these. I’m totally on board with that idea, esp given the circumstances of this motor and how things have been handled (not handled) re the issues. What I’m saying is it doesn’t do you any good “ghosting” anyone. Let’s be real there, no one likes getting ignored and the very term ghosting being made up by the newer generations is absolutely pathetic. It’s a degenerates way of putting a title on ignoring someone disrespectfully and attempting to put a spin on it like it’s ok. Obv more than ok to not want to pay for bs like a motor that was made to fail, but ignoring the dealership instead of just respectfully telling them that, or simply letting them know that you’re going to escalate and you’ll be in touch down the line after, is more than likely why you’re in the situation with all the anxiety and unknowns, and why the corporate never contacted you either, and quite possibly why you got a “fix” that wasn’t really a fix but a pacifier to shut you up. Reman parts etc, no warranty etc...

And that’s the tip of the iceberg.
In a perfect world I wouldnt need to say this, but we live in far from a perfect world. There’s always the possibility that the way you handled things also made them half *** the job on your car or worse. You wouldn’t disrespect pple working in a restaurant for the same reason. I have no idea why youd disrespect pple that had your car for that long lol. Just something I wouldn’t do. Another is modding a 300. These things are basically almost pushed to their max already man, what do you expect pushing a commuter non perf car lol? It’s not like it’s an AMG car. It’s just mad weird to me. I’d rather spend a little more on a performance car instead of putting carbon cai’s and stuff on a low level C and winding it out lol. Hey though, if you want to clap your car that’s your prerogative. 😊
Hi ArtyV, maybe ghosting was a poor choice of word on my part. What I meant was I was not calling the dealership everyday asking/begging for a update, I just waited patiently for anyone to get back to me. In short I did not ignore any dealership or MB calls.

It is my opinion, at the end of the day its just a business to them and the team and owner are going to try all sorts of BS to get out of being out of pocket, like 8K for diagnosis (prob enough to cover the expected scope of works).

While I’m sure every dealership operate differently this particular dealership has poor reputation (relating to general service standards) and honestly I do not believe they even care because most of their sales are corporate leases these days.

I for one expect more, (we all should) when you buy a MB you are not just buying a car but a brand, and from what I have experienced the brand could not be a poorer experience. If it was my Brand, I would be **** embarrassed to have an engine fail with13,000km or even 150,000km.

"That they come out of the factory almost pushed to the max, seems like a poor design, cop out to me. I agree about one thing, it probably is not a fix.

Should I be thankful for MB doing the right thing, well no, because it was the right thing to do (they just should have done it in the beginning), but like you have pointed out, they probably have not done right by me, so no, I have no respect for this dealership.

Thanks for the feedback .
Old 04-07-2023, 10:02 PM

M3
I’d get out from under it if I were you. You’re already worried about it. It’s not worth the stress.
Trade it in or sell to a carmax type place etc.

Hi ArtyV, maybe ghosting was a poor choice of word on my part. What I meant was I was not calling the dealership everyday asking/begging for an update, I just waited patiently for anyone to get back to me. In short I did not ignore any dealership or MB calls.

It is my opinion, at the end of the day its just a business to them and the team and owner are going to try all sorts of BS to get out of being out of pocket, like 8K for diagnosis (prob enough to cover the expected scope of works).

While I’m sure every dealership operate differently this particular dealership has poor reputation (relating to general service standards) and honestly I do not believe they even care because most of their sales are corporate leases these days.

I for one expect more, (we all should) when you buy a MB you are not just buying a car but a brand, and from what I have experienced the brand could not be a poorer experience. If it was my Brand, I would be **** embarrassed to have an engine fail with13,000km or even 150,000km.

"That they come out of the factory almost pushed to the max, seems like a poor design, cop out to me. I agree about one thing, it probably is not a fix.

Should I be thankful for MB doing the right thing, well no, because it was the right thing to do (they just should have done it in the beginning), but like you have pointed out, they probably have not done right by me, so no, I have no respect for this dealership.

Thanks for the feedback .
Old 04-12-2023, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,599 Likes on 2,210 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I’d get out from under it if I were you. You’re already worried about it. It’s not worth the stress.
Trade it in or sell to a carmax type place etc.
Ya someone did exactly that.