C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 W205 Ultimate Mods List

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C300 A205
C300 W205 Ultimate Mods List

I recently purchased an A205 (W205 Convertible version) 2017 for my wife. I got the black (top) on black (interior) on black (wood) on you guessed it... black (paint) option. Notice a theme... most of the mods are blacking it out and some are functional. I saw various forums discussing mods, but not one more recent so I'm going to provide a list of mods and options. Please add more if I miss any. I didn't do full write-ups, but did take some photos along the way of some mods I couldn't find reference to. Note that in almost all cases these mods work on a 2 door convertible and a 4 door sedan, I do call out some differences though.

This website has a lot of trim and options. You can sort by your vehicle.

https://global.cksperformance.com/pa...?make=mercedes

Here's the factory site options. Note you can also check for oem accessories at your local Benz dealer.
https://configurator.mercedes-benz-a...ransporter=car

Here's a brochure with some factory accessory options.
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...s_brochure.pdf

It looks like the brochure isn't working so I took a picture of the part numbers you can search individually. It looks like some of these items are getting harder and harder to find. I really like that reversible cargo mat!

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-27-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:48 PM

C300 A205
Wheels- Here's a mod that was not cheap but made the Benz really stand out. I purchased AMG replica gloss black wheels.

For reference, the stock W205 AMG sport style 19" multispoke wheel specs are 19x7.5 +44 front with a 225/40-19 tire and a 19x8.5 +52 rear with a 255/35-19 tire in the rear. The stock amg I had are already very sharp wheels, but didn't fit the theme I was going for. Below is a pic of the wheels I purchased On Ebay. You can find these for about $775 shipped. They come with chrome logo center caps and amg stickers. I left the stickers off and used a set of all black center caps ($15) and all black tire valve caps ($10) and black lug nut bolts, but the factory ones are black. On eBay, I also bought new TPMS for $45 for 4 and painted them black.

I did find some all black TPMS for $145 in hindsight I wish I would have bought since the black paint didn’t take too well. I can’t be sure what exact TPMS will fit which vehicle, but it seems the ones I bought are working. I also bought new black lugnuts. For the install, it cost about $150 to have the rims and tires mounted balanced and installed. I sold the original rims with TPMS for $400 since they were taking up a lot of space in the garage. They go for about $400 a piece new, but mine had some slight wear. The person who bought them, buys and refurbishes and resells rims.

Here's the info on the wheels I purchased. Note that you could find a set of used AMG OEM rims probably for $1200 if you look hard enough.

19x8.5/9.5 5x112 +35/+38 Gloss Black Wheels Fits Mercedes Benz C43 AMG

Condition: New Manufacturer Part Number: MB6198595GB
Offset: 35/38 Brand: FSW
Hub Bore: 66.6 Rim Material: LOW PRESSURE CAST ALUMINUM
Color: GLOSS BLACK Size: 19X8.5/9.5
Quantity: 4 Bolt Pattern: 5X112

Here’s the stock tire size.
front/front&rear rear only
size offset tyre size offset tyre
19x7.5 44 225/40R19 19x8.5 52 255/35R19

Note that your old tire will not stick out of the sidewall and protect the rim for the curb, so you must be very careful when driving.
You'll see why in the picture as you are stretching the tire about an inch overall. When the tires are worn, replace with wider tires. My tires are brand new, so I kept them. If you are sharp, you'll see that these are bmw spec run flats... that must have been what carmax had in stock.

Future wheel mods when I need new brakes and rotors include adding these all Black caliper covers (I’ll ask them for no logo, all black). https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2019-M...s/153342640069 $230

and these black zinc plated rear slotted and front slotted rotors. Note the rears on mine are not slotted and drilled like the front.

$486 with 4 rotors and front and rear pads.
https://www.r1concepts.com/detail_ca...+Optimum_OEp++

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-26-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 PM

C300 A205
Here's how the rim looks mounted. See how the lip sticks out and the tire does't cover the extra part of the rim.

I picked up a set of locking oem lug nuts to keep these babies safe, but highly doubt anyone would steal them. Note if you buy the oem rim locks on ebay, double check the picture. About half the ones I saw were take off hex lug nuts someone put in the box. Make sure you get the ones with a round head that fit the round head key.

At first the locking lug nuts look a bit too long compared to the other ones I bought, but I installed them and put it in neutral and they seem to be fine and torqued down. Don't forget to store the key in the vehicle. I found a nice spot under the trunk cover. Here's the locking lug nut installed.

And let's not forget the black oem gauge if you need it even though mine does have the TPMS.

And here's my original amg wheels.

Last edited by gtg413i; 04-02-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:03 PM

C300 A205
Now for some convenience. You may read all about the fact that these cars default to comfort mode and where is the option to remember your driving preference. It is not there. This is the closest easiest thing I could find that remembers your setting for 4 hours. There is a guy on ebay you can email your vin number and he will let you know what is possible to change with an obd2 tool he sells. It's not cheap. Message him on eBay and he is quick to respond.

Here's what options he could adjust on my Benz.

1. with tuneOBD module for usd 299 is it possible to tune the motor control unit:
- power up from stock 242Hp/480Hm -> 265Hp/570Hm in 2 minutes
- no speed limit 210kmh -> 300kmh
- back to factory firmware any time with the same module in 2 minutes
- no affect to warranty
- no wires
- no ECU open
- no soldering - just plug-and-play

videos how tuneOBD works are here:

2. AMG Instrument cluster AMG menu" - $139

3. «AMG logo audio head unit"" - extra $39 ($115 when ordered later on)

4. Video-in-motion unlock - $149
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261281467593

5. ECO start stop default OFF - extra $89 ($139 when ordered later on)

6. Speed limit unlock to 250kmh - extra $89 ($149 when separate module)

7. SeatBelts warning Off - extra $39 ($115 when ordered later on)

8. Dynamic Select 4 hours memory - extra $89 ($149 when separate module)

9. automatic parking brakes disable - extra $89 ($149 when separate module)

I went with options 4,5,7,8 since I don't see ever going above 132mph and the auto parking brake seems to work fine on this model benz. Also, I decided not to touch any ecu or boost or engine mods. They don’t really seem to have consistent success. You can read various threads about them... it seems the Dinan is the most common option. https://www.dinancars.com/platform/mercedes-benz/ but I even read one forum that said it caused their car to go into limp mode once. I just installed this and it was a bit tricky, but the instructions are:
turn car to accessory mode (two pushes without the brake on the push start). Then plug the tuneobd into the obd port. Wait a few seconds for something to pop up on the command screen. Now use the scroll wheel to push down to install the option. Then scroll to the right to the next option and push down to let it do its thing. If you do the seatbelt reminder option, after you successfully turn the rear off, then unplug and plug it bag in and do it again to turn the fronts off. Video tape the install so if you have issues you can email the seller for support. I'm really loving the 4 hour memory for the drive mode. I think that alone is worth it. Really wish it were permanent memory.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-26-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:09 PM

C300 A205
More convenience, less money in the wallet. This one is only for the convertible Benz's. How cool is it that with a touch of a button the top opens an closes in 20 seconds... well, actually, you have to hold the button down for 20 seconds. Very annoying right? Is it worth $450 to make this truly one touch. Maybe, Maybe not. I did it anyways for this super cool and very easy to install mod. Be sure to leave the back seats down when you install this per instructions in case you need to access the trunk if you didn't tighten the connectors like I didn't the first time.

http://www.mods4cars.com/blog/smartt...***-cabriolet/

I can now with 1 botton, lower the top, all windows and raise the wind screen. You can choose settings like have all the windows up or down or the screen up or down. Also now, I can push the window button once and all the windows go down or up automatically. One button push puts the windscreen down or up. You can also open the top by hitting the unlock 4x on the remote or close it with the lock 4x.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:12 PM

C300 A205
Be sure to read up on some of the cool features that are a part of the Benz, like stomping on the brake at a stop to put the vehicle in hold mode. That's pretty pretty cool. I've heard some folks say if you have a convertible and it detects rain, it will put the top up automatically, but I haven't been able to confirm that. I might try spraying some water on the windshield rain sensors.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:15 PM

C300 A205
More convenience

I added the mbrace app so I can now remote start, lock, unlock and maybe check the temperature. I think I read it will only remote start with more than a quarter tank of gas.
According to the mbrace 3rd party, I’ll have to start paying at the end of the year if I want to keep the remote start. Not sure if it is worth it or not yet.

I got the mbrace entertainment package for $270 for 2 years, but not sure if it is worth it yet. It adds a wifi hotspot and iheart and tunein internet radio.
I'm still playing with it, but feel like at the end of the day, I will ask for a refund or not renew it. I also heard Mbrace is going to change the options soon (kind of force you to buy more packages if you want just remote start / remote lock & unlock)
https://www.mbusa.com/en/mbrace

Sirius xm was offered for $5 a month, but I declined. If you ever had it, you know it is not commercial free. For now, the wife just streams music from her phone to the bluetooth in her stock looking wireless charging phone mount below!

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:24 PM

C300 A205
Please do yourself a favor and buy this phone mount.
Amazon Amazon

Then I added an all black with no led lights qi wireless quick charger. I added a small usb 3.0 aukey 12 volt charger. It still has a port open for a usb c connector and I used a 90 degree extension I tucked in the ash tray. I also bought a usb led light I planned to put in the center console, but it turns out some of the ambience lights run in there and also those 2 usb ports are always on so I didn't install the usb light so it wouldn't drain the battery (likely not possible though).

I drilled a small hole under the console and was careful not to hit the led ambient light, trimmed the usb connector with a razor blade, pushed it through and routed it up and around to the charger.
The lid closes without any issues, but you do want to use a small usb plug or it might not clear. Get the one in my pic as it's small but still supports the new fast charging.

It looks very clean charger for much less than the center console factory option of $280.
There are also other aftermarket options, but I like mine.

Here's an example of one that is probably much easier to install and has the wireless charger built in. Likely it does not fit the convertible but for $17 I may try it one day.

Here's a pic of the difference in the center consoles if you care to see... not sure why, maybe the convertible is smaller?

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 PM

C300 A205
What's that? You noticed I have a nice matching silver plated cupholder. Oh yea! I bought this too from eBay. Of most of the useless mods, this is most useless and I don't suggest doing it.
There is an option to get a cupholder that holds your wallet and keys. That's cool, but you lose the passenger cupholder. I tried it and it wasn't worth it. Also, if you do want to purchase this most pointless mod, there are different colors available here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3293...archweb201603_

Last edited by gtg413i; 01-26-2021 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:36 PM

C300 A205
I already had the rear storage net and basket, but did add this. Why not? I loved the concept.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-22-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:41 PM

C300 A205
Here's some other smaller mods I did.

I had some dings so bought some touch up paint. Your paint code is on the door jamb, but it doesn't say paint by it.

Apparently you can also buy Duplicolor BUN0100 For Mercedes Code 040 Black 8 oz. Aerosol Spray Paint.

To prevent door dings, I went to autozone and bought some black protector. It's barely noticeable and doesn't mess up the flow. apparently there is adhesive inside that dries in about 3 days. It was about $13. I'd love to buy the gold ceramic coating option but it starts at $1500. Also, if you look very closely at my paint, it has orange peel. I really don't think my car was repainted, but I heard these c300's don't come with great paint jobs, so I'd just keep it waxed a couple times a year. I might buy the factory soft top cleaner, but haven't looked too much into that.

Replaced hood emblem with this.

It was very easy to install, but didn't sit flat like the factory one, which I think may be riveted in better, so now I'm going to replace it with an all black one.

Here it is installed. It's honestly just as easy to pop out the one that came with the car and paint it yourself.

Last edited by gtg413i; 04-02-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:47 PM

C300 A205
Speaking of emblem mods, here's one of the more popular ones.

It's a super easy enough install. I tapped the right running light (was a thin green and blue wire on my pigtail) and used the front clip screw location for grounding. You can see the ground under the star bit screw in the picture. At first, I got a warning to check my right turn signal bulb, clicked ok and haven’t seen the warning since. The wife really likes this mod. I may switch the star for an all black version with an all black grill along down the road. You can install the illuminated star the factory way which is very easy as well, but be sure to buy the necessary pin that goes into the fuse box. BTW, to remove the pigtail, use a flathead to pull that center tab / pin back, then you can pull the whole connector out by wiggling it. My 2017 was wired differently than some online videos I saw I think due to the year or the leds, but you can unplug your pigtail and test for 12volt with the lights on using a multimeter and then the engine lights off to find the best wire to tap into.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:50 PM

C300 A205
another front bumper mod with these ebay license plate covers. No need to pay $40 for the oem ones. I'm being a bit nit picky here, but the front license bumper is curved so the license plate holder isn't curved and the license plate isn't curved so the front plate doesn't follow the body lines. I also got the matching plate cover for the rear bumper.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:53 PM

C300 A205
Speaking of the rear bumper. I bought these black tips to install in replace of the chrome ones.
I may also add a matching black trunk emblem. Some folks say just to put paper behind the stock one and paint it. One video showed you can slip floss behind the stock one and pop it off. Some say the right way to do it is to get inside the trunk lid cover.

Note that some folks install and AMG style diffuser with quad pipes. That kit costs about $600. The rear of my benz is already black with a smaller sport style diffuser, so no need for me to replace the whole diffuser. Also, I learned that the purpose of this diffuser is to somehow add more downforce to the vehicle to make it handle better. For a regular c300, I see not functional need for this additional downforce since we aren't racing these things.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:55 PM

C300 A205
Before I forget, some of the other mods I did were to replace as many bulbs as I could with LEDs. If you replace the clear and red trunk with an led, you will likely break the lens cover in two like I did. Don't worry, just glue it back.
I also bought a custom windshield sun visor (~$60). I searched, but couldn't find one in black. There is a factory version that has a little mercedes small tag on the corner but not sure if you can buy it anymore.

Luckily my Benz already came with the welcome light / ambient options and light up kick panel.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-23-2020 at 12:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
adrien63 (08-30-2021)
Old 03-22-2020, 10:57 PM

C300 A205
Speaking of cool lights, I don't think the convertible has the option to add the logo door lights, but I am going to buy these logo door lights to try and maybe make my own.
If not, then I will just use the brighter lights in the 2nd picture below. I also think some Benz's you can get the logo to show underneath the side mirror lights. I saw this option in the show room, but don't think you can add it to my year. Maybe you can. I did find a way to add the mercedes logo for our side mirror puddle lights here. https://www.dmpcardes********/merced...benz-w205-w213 but they are not cheap. If you do the sequential side markers, then do the puddle lights at the same time. https://www.dmpcardes********/index...._id=212&page=2

Last edited by gtg413i; 11-02-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:59 PM

C300 A205
Speaking of things you can't add, I don't think 2017 or prior you can unlock or add a factory android or apple auto. For 2018 I think this is possible.
Here's a suggested mod for the nonconvertible w205, a glove box organize.

This apparently does not work in the convertible due to the difference in the glove box. I really do want something like this since when I get in the car, I don't have a nice place to put the key. I guess I should just leave it in my pocket. It's a much easier option for my wife since she can leave the key in her purse and then put the phone on the dash holder. For her purse, I did buy this ebay holder that goes on the back of the passenger seat for about one dollar. It hasn't arrived yet so I'll update once it does. Mercedes has some OEM options that are a lot more expensive, but pretty cool.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:02 PM

C300 A205
Another cheap eBay mod- $8 for each Pleather key covers. I got an all black and a black with red stitching version, which the wife prefers. She said she also wants red seat belts. I guess we differ on color themes! I told her, I could return the Benz, but she said no! By the way, that keychain came with the black valve stem caps. Apparently you can use it to tighten the caps.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:14 PM

C300 A205
What's that? You noticed some floor mats in the kick panel pic?
Oh yeah, this is one of may favorite mods for the price.

Since the factory amg floor mats seemed a bit weak imho and the all weather option, which is all black and oem, didn't seem too fancy, I asked the seller directly on eBay to make these with black stitching and they turned out great. You can get different colors and stitching.

Apparently you can buy them for the trunk of a w205, but not the convertible trunk. Since my trunk has the velcro holder, I am ok with it.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:16 PM

C300 A205
Ok, so now for future mods or other options.

One day I may spring for this as it’s functional (gives a place to add air freshener) and cool, as far as I can see in the instructions, it connects with the factor led colors of blue, white and orange and will switch as the factory lights switch. You can also add burmester grill covers with leds that tap into the factory door leds.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:19 PM

C300 A205
I may buy this to black out the front, but I'm not sure if I like this one goes past the tires. That could be good protection though. Also, I haven't seen anyone post install instructions so I'm wondering if this replaces the factory one or sticks over it. I'd rather have it replace the factory one, but the main goal is to black out the stock chrome, which is peeling in one corner.

I ended up buying this 3 piece option that will replace the factory chrome. It was about half the price of $40 so I'll do a writeup when I install it.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:21 PM

C300 A205
Some people don't want to drill their front bumper to mount a license plate, which is required in the front in some states like California. Mine came with two big holes in it already, so I used what was there. A cheap option is to buy the front tow plate.

A not so cheap option is a motorized flip one. Basically you mount it under the front bumper and connect it to the battery.
Here's a company that has some cool products like a hiding front license plate that you can control from the steering wheel buttons or set to auto hide when locking the car.
https://www.midcityengineering.com/d...license-plate/
Watch it in action, it is pretty darn cool! There are rear hide options that aren't so elegant, so to be truly stealth I think you'd need a rear hide as well.

Midcity also has a hidden / command screen integrated radar detector option. Radar detector sold separate.

And this option to turn your 360 camera on automatically when going less than 5 mph. Why this isn't standard baffles me! I wish I had the 360 camera option, but oh well.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-22-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 PM

C300 A205
I guess I should show you some pics of the overall vehicle, but I don't have any fancy ones when it is clean. I'll try to take some and post later. Here's one for now.
You can see though that I did tint the windows. Rear and windshield strip tint at 15%, front windows at 20% and it was about $400.
The price seemed steep as I didn't shop around, but I got ceramic and it is super clean. Looking back, I wish I got 10% all the way around, but my wife drives it so I didn't want it too dark at night. She hasn't complained about it yet.

Last edited by gtg413i; 03-23-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 185 Posts
W205 2015
Thanks for this huge mods list. Gave us many ideas. May I add door projector, illuminated star, facelift AMG steering wheel, 10.25" multimedia screen.

With illuminated star

No illuminated star
Old 03-24-2020, 12:54 PM

C300 A205
Nice Benz. I did cover the front illuminated star and door logo, however, as far as I can see there is no plug and play option for the door logo on the cabriolets. I also think the trunk and rear is a bit different so not sure if the rear spoilers would fit the convertible. The C300 I have came with the AMG sport package so it already had the sport steering wheel. The not good about that is there is no heated steering wheel option... not cool. I am interested in the 10" multiscreen mod and saw some you could buy. The basic installation looks like just taking apart the center console. Was it difficult? Do you have links... curious about keeping the factory controls, adding apply car, can you mirror apps like Netflix and if it is a touch screen. Why these MB engineers thought their little round controller and "touch pad" was better than a touch screen in 2017 baffles me?!?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 W205 Ultimate Mods List