C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

HVAC Mold or Mildew Odor Class Action Settelement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2020 | 01:12 PM

‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
HVAC Mold or Mildew Odor Class Action Settelement

Just got a postcard in the mail about a class action settlement for the mold AC smell. Head over to www.mercedeshvacsettlement.com

If you have paid out of pocket for this repair it looks like your due some money back. Also looks like all mildew/mold AC issues are covered going forward.

C Class 08-19
The following users liked this post:
Trappers101 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020 | 03:12 PM

2019 GLC300 4matic
Thanks. I put a copy for the website info in my GLC file in case I ever have the problem.
Old 05-09-2020 | 05:30 PM

C300 Sport
I was a bit confused, so does the coverage drop to 50% if your car is shy of 10 years old since the date of purchase/under 125k miles? It's a bit contradictory because elsewhere it says future repairs are covered. I also wonder if the dealer would just do it for free anyway, given that there was a class action lawsuit.
Old 05-09-2020 | 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Under warranty 0-4 years and up to 50,000 miles 100% covered
5-8 years and 50,001-99,999 miles 70% covered
9th and 10th year from in service date and up to 124,999 50% covered

Older than 10 years or more than 125,000 miles - no coverage.

That's how I read it.
Old 05-09-2020 | 07:54 PM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Under warranty 0-4 years and up to 50,000 miles 100% covered
5-8 years and 50,001-99,999 miles 70% covered
9th and 10th year from in service date and up to 124,999 50% covered

Older than 10 years or more than 125,000 miles - no coverage.

That's how I read it.
Yeah, and that has to be from the date that the last owner purchased the vehicle, since obviously a 2008 would not otherwise be a member of the lawsuit.
Old 05-12-2020 | 01:37 PM

2017 AMG E43
This is great news. However, are we able to act upon this right now? As in, if I call the dealer, are they able to cover the costs, depending on age and miles, without hesitation? I've tried to fix this A/C issue last year and they just mentioned that most mercedes cars have the same issues and not much they can do without charging me a cleaning fee for them to clean it, and wont be covered by the original 4 year warranty.

However, with this class settlement, maybe this will change but not sure when this will be standard and hassle-free. Should we wait for a recall/call-back or will this take more effort on the customers end?

Last thing, after reading the settlement, for all future repairs, is it stating that we have to pay out of pocket the full cost and then fill out the claim form to be reimbursed? From May to December 2020, it states this clause, so maybe we have to wait until next year for this to be standard without paying out of pocket? I could be misinterpreting this. Thanks all!
Old 05-12-2020 | 02:27 PM

C400
I've got a call into my dealer about this as well! Ironically, I had just ordered new filters cuz my C400 smells like a sweat sock lol

I will let you all know what I hear back, the dealership here is very good and will do the max they can.

Does anyone know what the fix is?

Last edited by GringoBling; 05-12-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2020 | 05:49 PM

2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 AMG-Sport Package
Thank you for sharing this! While i've been doing all DIY cleaning solutions, ill most likely look into this as an option.
Old 05-12-2020 | 06:57 PM

C300
Also interested in if the dealer will cover the cost up front, but probably unlikely. For anyone who's gotten this service done already, what was the cost? Did you go through MB, or a third party shop?
Old 05-13-2020 | 12:13 AM

2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 AMG-Sport Package
Turns out I was wrong. You can show your own receipts for your own service that you did. But I would think that they would refuse service for just having used parts that are not OEM.

"You do not need to take any action now; future coverage is automatic for covered vehicles.If and when a moldy, mildew-y HVAC odor arises, you simply bring your vehicle to an Authorized Service Center to receive a future repair. All covered vehicles are eligible for unlimited future repairs until 10 years after their in-service date or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first.

To determine coverage, a technician will perform an odor diagnostic test and verify that the source of the odor in the vehicle is mold or mildew odors originating from the HVAC system. To qualify for coverage, you must present the following items of proof to the Authorized Service Center at the time that coverage is requested:
  1. Proof that the vehicle’s currently installed filter is a Mercedes-Benz brand or other approved filter. Such proof includes, but is not limited to, an Authorized Service Center employee examining the filter and determining whether it is an approved filter, a service center invoice indicating installation of an approved filter in the vehicle, or a receipt of purchase of an approved filter that was self-installed.
  2. Proof that the vehicle timely received proper service in reasonable compliance with the vehicle’s maintenance schedule for the two service intervals immediately prior to the requested repair. Such proof includes, but is not limited to, documentation from an Authorized Service Center or Independent Service Provider indicating the vehicle’s maintenance history, information found in the Authorized Service Center’s own service records for the vehicle, or receipts of parts and materials used for maintenance that you performed on the vehicle."

Last edited by indianboi3; 05-14-2020 at 01:26 AM. Reason: corrected by another user
Old 05-13-2020 | 11:57 AM

C400
Originally Posted by indianboi3
Actually this looks like some pure BS. If you take a good look at this FAQ, it says for - How do I get coverage for future repairs?

"You do not need to take any action now; future coverage is automatic for covered vehicles.If and when a moldy, mildew-y HVAC odor arises, you simply bring your vehicle to an Authorized Service Center to receive a future repair. All covered vehicles are eligible for unlimited future repairs until 10 years after their in-service date or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first.

To determine coverage, a technician will perform an odor diagnostic test and verify that the source of the odor in the vehicle is mold or mildew odors originating from the HVAC system. To qualify for coverage, you must present the following items of proof to the Authorized Service Center at the time that coverage is requested:
  1. Proof that the vehicle’s currently installed filter is a Mercedes-Benz brand or other approved filter. Such proof includes, but is not limited to, an Authorized Service Center employee examining the filter and determining whether it is an approved filter, a service center invoice indicating installation of an approved filter in the vehicle, or a receipt of purchase of an approved filter that was self-installed.
  2. Proof that the vehicle timely received proper service in reasonable compliance with the vehicle’s maintenance schedule for the two service intervals immediately prior to the requested repair. Such proof includes, but is not limited to, documentation from an Authorized Service Center or Independent Service Provider indicating the vehicle’s maintenance history, information found in the Authorized Service Center’s own service records for the vehicle, or receipts of parts and materials used for maintenance that you performed on the vehicle."

So there's a lot of things you have to meet such as a approved air filter and maintenance schedule done at an approved service center. That immediately takes out most of us DIYers.
it SPECIFICALLY covers DIY...
Old 05-15-2020 | 10:27 PM

C400
update: My dealership said they haven't heard anything from MBUSA about it, and don't even know what the remedy is supposed to be yet.
Old 05-15-2020 | 10:59 PM

2017 AMG E43
Originally Posted by GringoBling
update: My dealership said they haven't heard anything from MBUSA about it, and don't even know what the remedy is supposed to be yet.
Same. I went to the dealership yesterday for another set of oil filter/oil and they haven't heard of the above and how to officially fix the issue except to clean. We might have to wait until the case is officially settled?
Old 05-16-2020 | 01:49 PM

C400
Originally Posted by k4vglitcher
Same. I went to the dealership yesterday for another set of oil filter/oil and they haven't heard of the above and how to officially fix the issue except to clean. We might have to wait until the case is officially settled?
no idea, but it does suck that I just bought the damn filters again lol