C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Road Top Carplay - real life reviews please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 01:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
So I got replacement unit.
Removed MB bluetooth from my android phone before install, then installed new unit, connected, disabled loudness in settings (huge improvement of sound) but only problem are the calls.
Is there way to use MB bluetooth for calls and answering butons on steering wheel for cotrolling it (now doesnt work, only volume up and down)
is there way to not use android auto for calling?
Old 02-22-2023, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C400 Sedan
The unit updated itself

Recently the unit got a small update. It must have updated by itself over wifi, I never initiated anything nor got a notification.

Now there is a split screen option with maps and an audio app. It can be turned on with pressing the bottom left button:

If I press that bottom left button again, I'm taken to the apps menu, where if I choose maps, it reverts to the full screen map like the first pic.

​​​​​​Also, as you can see, the indicators for signal strength, battery, time, and number of alerts has moved to the bottom right.

I haven't noticed any other changes so far, but everything still performs well.
The following users liked this post:
altesporsche (04-02-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 250d
Help!
I just install my roadtop CarPlay and it’s very good unless the problem it change it self from CarPlay to Mb menu without pushing any buttons.
the only think is the space behind the head unit is small and the cables are very squished.
Any suggestion?
thanx
Old 03-07-2023, 03:46 PM

W205 250d
Is anyone knows how to see Netflix with the roadtop?
Old 03-07-2023, 04:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by Vasilis c200k
Is anyone knows how to see Netflix with the roadtop?
It’s not possible.
The following users liked this post:
Vasilis c200k (03-11-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 GLK 250
RoadTop staying connected when off

New issue/question...

We've recently noticed that even with the car off and my wife's phone continues to try and connect to Carplay on the RoadTop unit.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so any way to disable this?

It's both annoying, and concerning in that the unit appears to still be drawing power.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:27 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
Yup! I've had the same issue. I reached out to RoadTop about this and all they told me was that the proximity of the cellphone and the car are too close to one another... which made no sense to me because I have a detached garage. They also told me to double press the lock on the key, which did absolutely nothing cause I still had the same issue moving forward. They were no help with this.

What I ended up doing was just use the wired method to enable CarPlay rather than using the Wireless method. Haven't had any issue since.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:38 PM

2015 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Kush Desai;[url=tel:8749408
8749408[/url]]Yup! I've had the same issue. I reached out to RoadTop about this and all they told me was that the proximity of the cellphone and the car are too close to one another... which made no sense to me because I have a detached garage. They also told me to double press the lock on the key, which did absolutely nothing cause I still had the same issue moving forward. They were no help with this.

What I ended up doing was just use the wired method to enable CarPlay rather than using the Wireless method. Haven't had any issue since.
Happy to know I’m not the only one.

When you say wired, do you mean the USB connection from the RoadTop box?
Old 03-29-2023, 12:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by NCWolverine
Happy to know I’m not the only one.

When you say wired, do you mean the USB connection from the RoadTop box?
Yessir. Just connected a regular iPhone cable to the USB Connector coming off the wire bundle of the RoadTop Box.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:58 PM

W205 250d
Does anyone know how YouTube works?
Old 04-01-2023, 06:51 PM

2015 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Vasilis c200k;[url=tel:8750881
8750881[/url]]Does anyone know how YouTube works?
Yup, saw a great video there about how online trolls often suffer from malignant inadequacies in life.

What’s your point about RoadTop draining GLK batteries or staying connected when the car is off and locked?
Old 04-04-2023, 11:15 AM

W205 250d
Originally Posted by NCWolverine
Yup, saw a great video there about how online trolls often suffer from malignant inadequacies in life.

What’s your point about RoadTop draining GLK batteries or staying connected when the car is off and locked?
idont have problems with the battery.
when I turn off the car the roadtop stops working
Old 04-14-2023, 01:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C400
I just got mine and haven't installed it yet. My C400 had no reverse cam, so that was actually the biggest reason for adding this thing- as my wife likes to back into stuff. I'm adding a front camera, mostly just because I can. Anyone else using a front cam with it? The diagram for camera install in the manual shows the trigger wire for the cameras, which I assume is 12V+, but then they also show the camera have another 12V+ and 12V- connection. Well, the aftermarket cameras only have the power and ground connections- so I assume I just ground the camera harness and they'll draw power from the Road Top unit... correct?
My plan is to only use wired CarPlay since I rarely actually ever want to use it- mainly just on a road trip to run NAV from the phone, so going to skip BT and WiFi connections with it. I like the sound quality using the car's BT for phone calls. I suppose if I need voice prompts when using CarPlay for NAV, I'll just stream using the phone so the voice prompts and music can coexist.
Any suggestions on anything I should be concerned about before installing next week?
Old 07-20-2023, 07:41 AM

GLA250
@VTSummit seeing how long ago you posted, I assume you figured this all out by now. I installed this unit in my GLA 2 years ago, and I also did it mainly to have parking cameras. I really wanted front and back cameras because I have to parallel park in tight spaces every day, and it's nice to know precisely where I am in relation to the parking space---I can squeeze into spots with confidence now.

My front camera nestles up into the star on the grill and has worked flawlessly. I don't remember the details about how we ran the power for the front camera, but I remember it being easier than I expected and simple to test during the installation. I think the ground is through the box itself, and the camera is always powered. I had it set to display the front camera for x# seconds after shifting out of reverse. This all worked flawlessly for almost 2 years until something in the Road Top box made my OEM screen go dead. I thought it was the OEM screen itself, but when I pulled the Road Top box out, the screen started working again. I used the system pretty much exactly like you intend: mostly for the cameras and connecting only via the wired connection. I sometimes connect in order to use Waze through AA on the OEM screen, but I find Android Auto to be annoying and limiting and those frustrations make it more of a distraction than using my phone for these apps when driving. So, Android Auto was the discouraging element, not the unit itself. Also, the sound quality was way inferior to the OEM system, but I never even tried to remedy that, so I'm sure it could have been improved.

Since my unit went bad and I had to spend something to get it all working again, this time I upgraded to their Android Head Unit. It gives me the cameras back, albeit will a bit of a delay that wasn't the case with the interface box. But, the 10" screen is amazing and provides a much better picture from the cameras than I had in the previous setup.

For the price, I was very happy with the AA/Carplay interface unit, but I was willing to spend the extra money on the HU this time around because it's standalone phone (or it's supposed to be). Road Top told me that an AT&T Sim Card would provide 4G access from the screen (no need to use my phone as a hot spot). AFTER I purchased/installed and couldn't get that feature to work, Road Top was like, "Oops, we got that wrong---it won't work. Would you like a $30 credit for your trouble?" $30 doesn't cover it after I spend the weekend installing it in 90 degree heat. Argh.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 Bluetec
Hello all - I’m new member here but looking for some help. I purchased one of the Mercedes Benz NTG4.5 / NTG4.7 2012-2015 Wireless Carplay Airplay Decoder for my ML350 (2012 model) to be able to use CarPlay on the car. It is quite similar to the Roadtop systems (https://www.ebay.com/itm/385238516660) and I followed the instructions from one of the Youtube videos on installation. Connecting the main harness wires (including moving the fiber optic audio cable into the new unit’s main harness) and threading the unit into the HVAC area was relatively easy but I cannot figure out why audio is not outputting once the unit is connected.

I’ve tried:
  1. reseating the main harness in the MB unit to make sure its a correct seal and re-inserting the fiber optic cable multiple times
  2. Make sure the audio source is set to AUX
  3. Gone into the engineering mode menu to enable MOST ON & EXTERNAL AMP in 7.5 and AUDIO AUX ON in 7.7…then let the car sit locked for over an hour
  4. Make sure no mute buttons are on
  5. Deleted all prior bluetooth devices in the mercedes OEM interface
  6. Unplugged anything from the arm center box
I’m confused because no audio is working at all with the new Carplay Unit installed, but when I go back to the OEM headunit then audio works again. Could it be a faulty unit or more likely just a setting in my 2012 MB that I haven’t set right with the audio. The instructions that came with my unit made no mention of changing anything in the engineering mode menu FWIW.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:25 PM

GLA250
@MBUser901
It looks like you might have to activate the AUX in your car? The video you posted shows them doing that @9:46. If you already had AUX in your car, How do you physically connect to AUX in your car? I have a GLA with NTG4.5, so things might be different, but in my car there was a cable I had to plug in to make a physical connection to the AUX input.
(Pre-installation), how did you normally have to hear an AUX input through your stereo? Did you have to plug in through USB, a regular round (3.5mm?) audio input cable, or through the MMI adapter? In my case, that connection got replaced by this box, physically plugged in, so there was no other AUX input opportunity anymore. If you try now to play something through your AUX input (however you used to do it), does it still play? If so, I suspect that you didn't connect whatever you needed to connect in order to take over that input.

Last edited by Christine_S; 08-05-2023 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added line about where in the video activating AUX is
Old 08-05-2023, 10:11 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Christine_S
@MBUser901
It looks like you might have to activate the AUX in your car? The video you posted shows them doing that @9:46. If you already had AUX in your car, How do you physically connect to AUX in your car? I have a GLA with NTG4.5, so things might be different, but in my car there was a cable I had to plug in to make a physical connection to the AUX input.
(Pre-installation), how did you normally have to hear an AUX input through your stereo? Did you have to plug in through USB, a regular round (3.5mm?) audio input cable, or through the MMI adapter? In my case, that connection got replaced by this box, physically plugged in, so there was no other AUX input opportunity anymore. If you try now to play something through your AUX input (however you used to do it), does it still play? If so, I suspect that you didn't connect whatever you needed to connect in order to take over that input.
So i did activate AUX mode in my car through the engineering mode (in both sub-menus so that 7.5: MOST is ON and EXTERNAL AMP is selected and in 7.7 AUX AUDIO is ON). But I’m not terribly familiar how to connect to aux in my car historically, in my center arm console there’s a mercedes proprietary connector where you plug in a cable then it creates an old iPod 30-pin connector + an AUX connector. I tried plugging in the 3.5mm connector coming OUT of the carplay box (my carplay box has a 3.5mm output, USB output and mic output cables) into that while those engineering mode settings were on and nothing changed.

Old 08-06-2023, 12:20 AM

GLA250
Yup, that's the cable I have in mine. My carplay unit came with one that plugged into the MMI port (that's what I am calling the MB proprietary plug) and received and aux plug. But, I used one of those Y-connectors like you have so that I could still use my 30-pin iPod. But, it sounds like you tried that already. Additionally, it doesn't look like your unit came with such a cable, nor do the instructions mention having to do any of that.

It would be nice if you could test your aux input itself to make sure it has been activated OK. Do you have any device, like an mp3 player or something you could try plugging in to make sure the ntg system "hears" the input?

Old 08-06-2023, 03:02 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Christine_S
Yup, that's the cable I have in mine. My carplay unit came with one that plugged into the MMI port (that's what I am calling the MB proprietary plug) and received and aux plug. But, I used one of those Y-connectors like you have so that I could still use my 30-pin iPod. But, it sounds like you tried that already. Additionally, it doesn't look like your unit came with such a cable, nor do the instructions mention having to do any of that.

It would be nice if you could test your aux input itself to make sure it has been activated OK. Do you have any device, like an mp3 player or something you could try plugging in to make sure the ntg system "hears" the input?
I returned the entire car to OEM to trouble shoot if the AUX input in my arm center console (through the MMI port) even works and I cannot get that to work even with OEM. Does anyone know what could be causing just the simple AUX port to not work at OEM? I have one of those MMI to 30pin ipod + aux connector adapters plugged in. Confirmed my 3.5mm audio cable works.

I feel like part of the troubleshooting will be to first solve if AUX works in my car to begin with with the OEM headunit / nothing installed. When I have 7.5.1 MOST ON and 7.5.2 INTERNAL AMP, I get FM radio outputting through the stereo speakers but I cannot get any audio from the MMI port through either the 30-pin ipod or 3.5mm aux cable end. If I set 7.5.2 to EXTERNAL AMP then FM radio stops working and MMI port still doesn't work. If I set 7.5.1 to MOST OFF and 7.5.2 INTERNAL AMP, then the MMI port doesn't charge the iPod anymore (so I assume MOST always needs to turned on?)

Last edited by MBUser901; 08-25-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:45 PM

GLA250
Sounds like a good plan.
This video* from the manufacturer of my unit talks about how to activate Aux. The steps appear to be the same as what your seller had also. However, there are a lot of comments to this video indicating that it doesn't work. There might be some instructions in those comments to help you.
I would be careful, though. It sounds like some people ended up worse off!
*https://youtu.be/dgKAZjS3IBQ