C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 and FOCAL ES100K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Merc C300 Sport
Post C300 and FOCAL ES100K?

Hey y'all,

I was wondering if these speakers would fit on my 17 C300? It's an Audio20 and I'm planning on installing these on the front doors and eventually installing an external amp to drive all the speakers.

It's hard to find an exact answer but I believe the mounting depth is 1.535in and the woofer diameter is 3.93700in . I believe they are too large and want to confirm whether they fit before i take a 330 euro gamble on them.

If not, can anyone recommend some solid speakers? From what I've read, the rear speaker depth is smaller than the front so could someone recommend a set for F/R?

Here's a link of the product, I pulled the specs from the box.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 AMG C43
These are definitely going to want more power than Audio20 is going to give them! I swapped out my factory (Burmester) speakers for the Focal Inside kit for W205's. They're still breaking in but the sound is pretty good, and I'm adding a Match UP 10DSP amp soon to tune them properly. Anyway, I wish I had put some clay or putty on the speakers to measure the additional space behind the stock speakers in front, but I can tell you the factory speakers are 40mm deep from the face to the back of the magnet, so this would be the bottom-mount depth of the stock speakers. I'm not sure I'll be pulling the door panels off again, but if I do, I'll try to get a depth measurement.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:26 AM

2017 Merc C300 Sport
Where did you happen to order the kit from? I'm looking online and most of the sellers are in europe besides crutchfield who wants 600$ lol (for just the front speakers)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:50 AM

2021 AMG C43
Yeah, I got them from Crutchfield but sometimes they have open box or even better scratch’n’dent which I got. They’re still pretty expensive though. I also got the front subwoofers which have way more output and better sound than stock. I got a couple hundred off of those as scratch’n’dents as well so they were still more than the Match subs but not as much.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C400 ( W205 )
Is this a plug and play upgrade or it requires more than that ?
Old 09-23-2021, 02:01 PM

2021 AMG C43
The Focal Inside kit is completely plug and play. It uses the same mounting methods as factory and the factory wiring plugs right in. That’s why I went with it. Match and Eton also have similar kits. The Match kit is much more affordable and also available on Crutchfield. I had a good experience with Focal years ago on a VW GTI, so I figured I’d go back to them. Also the front bass subwoofers from Focal are 2ohm. That seems to work really well with the factory Burmester amp. The factory subs I had to turn the bass up to like 8 to get good sound. These are loud with bass at 0, but they have a peak somewhere between 50-60Hz that needs to be tuned down when I get the Match UP 10DSP. I’m not sure if the other options are similar. Still, it’s much more lively with this speaker set.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:25 PM

2017 Merc C300 Sport
I've been looking at the Match gear but I think I'm going to go with this brand called Emphaser or possibly Eton as it's local for me to pickup. I might run one of the audison dsp/amps as i already have an audison mono amp and that thing is great. I'm actually debating on just cutting out the factory single sub in the footwell as I'm gonna be wiring a 12" sub for the rear. I'm going to setting up the subwoofer next month as I'm waiting on my power cables to show up. I will probably have to take the car to an audio shop though for the dsp calibration as I'm not well-versed in that department, unless it's just setting the hertz for each speaker.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:29 PM

2021 AMG C43
I think you should at least switch to factory Burmester subs, including another one to the passenger side, and use them as mid-bass. You’ll need something for that frequency range, as your big subwoofer you’ll probably want to limit to 80-100Hz and the 4” mid-ranges in the doors can’t cover the 80-200ish Hz range. So set the front subs up for 80-200 or maybe 250Hz to blend that together. The Burmester factory subs appear to be 8”, where I think Audio20 are 6”. Putting factory Burmester subs up front with an amp might be an economical way to go. They’d probably sound decent with the limited frequency range and good amplification.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by michaelclaw
Hey y'all,

I was wondering if these speakers would fit on my 17 C300? It's an Audio20 and I'm planning on installing these on the front doors and eventually installing an external amp to drive all the speakers.

It's hard to find an exact answer but I believe the mounting depth is 1.535in and the woofer diameter is 3.93700in . I believe they are too large and want to confirm whether they fit before i take a 330 euro gamble on them.

If not, can anyone recommend some solid speakers? From what I've read, the rear speaker depth is smaller than the front so could someone recommend a set for F/R?

Here's a link of the product, I pulled the specs from the box.
Yes, they fit just fine. I installed these in late '19, got off ebay.uk for ~400 (US). The passive crossover is kind of bulky to bury in the door panel on the "wet side." So your best bet is to actually double-side tape it in the back of door pocket on the dry side and run wires to/from. It's not visible to passengers if done right.

The tweeters will also require some "modding" of the door sails to make room. I did it with wire cutters (painful), but if you have a dremel it will be a breeze.

They sound great with Match DSP, don't think I ever connected to stock amp.
The following users liked this post:
michaelclaw (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 01:27 AM

2017 Merc C300 Sport
So you currently are running the Focal 100k's in just the fronts? You have the burmester system? I read online that you get a little extra space with the burmester grille, i don't know if thats actually true or not. Do you happen to have pictures of how you installed it? Could you explain how you mounted the 4" speaker into the panel and the location of the crossover as I don't understand what you mean by back of door pocket?

Last edited by michaelclaw; 09-24-2021 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by michaelclaw
So you currently are running the Focal 100k's in just the fronts? You have the burmester system? I read online that you get a little extra space with the burmester grille, i don't know if thats actually true or not. Do you happen to have pictures of how you installed it? Could you explain how you mounted the 4" speaker into the panel and the location of the crossover as I don't understand what you mean by back of door pocket?
I had the standard Audio 20 package, not Burmester. From what I recall, the speaker fit was fine (both diameter and depth) but you do need self-tapping screws, as it doesn't follow the odd 3-hole MB pattern. I don't have any pics, but it was pretty straightforward. And yes, just Focals in the fronts with the tweeters. I'm not sure if they would fit in the rear doors, so I went with the Match MB speakers which were simple swap.

By door pocket, I mean the storage space below the window switch / door handle. If you follow it to the rear of the door panel, theres a nice hidden spot for the crossover.
The following users liked this post:
michaelclaw (09-24-2021)