C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 W205 Pano Sunroof Stuck Closed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB250, C300, B200
Exclamation C300 W205 Pano Sunroof Stuck Closed!

As many others had the sunroof clips break. Unfortunately I've had the same, bought the clips and ready to install. The only problem now is that the sunroof is stuck closed. It would attempt to try to open the sunroof but only one side would lift from the back. Obviously the side that didn't need the clip replacement.

Did anyone have any luck with opening the sunroof to install these clips? Is it worth it at this stage to even try to? I've searched alot, and seems like the sunroof would only open if it allows you manually, if not; you take the whole headliner down to unbolt the railings from the bottom to be able to get the sunroof to lift up a little to be able to unscrew the two torx screws holding down the glass. Then I could either replace the plastic clips or the whole railing since the headliner had to be removed?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2024, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S Coupe - Edition 1
Any luck on this, Sam? I'm in the same predicament.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:33 PM

GLB250, C300, B200
@NixFix I was able to get the sunroof open by pulling on it hard and pushing from inside, it was a last chance to work with these clips or just go to the dealership as the local shops or even a Mercedes only shop that I regularly go to for maintenance advised me to just do it at the dealership since they would still face issues in installing those new rails. Anyway, long story short, got the pano sunroof open by force, removed the glass, installed the clip and left it untouched to the next morning.. installed the glass again and tested opening/closing. the clips seems to work, only issue was the brackets on the end (rear of the vehicle), one of them was not lowering down with the pano glass, did some research and turned out to be another thin plastic trim that is placed on the inner wall of the rail that slides along the rail and is controlling that back bracket was broken somehow maybe from me forcing the pano open or it was broken by the initial broken clips.

Ended up going to the dealership, my sunshade was operating normally.. but they tried to convince me into replacing sunshade and sunshade motor as well which was around another $800. Paid 3k in total (half of that is labor) for the new rails, they replaced the motor as well since the rails on the vehicle are obsolete and the motor in the vehicle doesn't work with the new rails, so you have to replace the motor in order for them to work with the rails. And they replace the connecting rod between the rails and the motor, again which is because they only have a newer version of those rails. Denied replacing sunshade, sunshade motor, and wind deflector, which would have added another 1k to that total.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:58 PM

C63S Coupe - Edition 1
@Saammm thanks for getting back on this.
I've also seen some of the total repair kits - was your extra broken piece any of these pieces? (See attached pic).
I do have a MB tech that may help as a side job but am really trying to tackle this myself and only waste my time, not someone else's.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:08 PM

GLB250, C300, B200
Yes, that is probably it. Maybe that image is just not the best. That trim frame has alot of inserts and small little pieces to it. I think those parts in the top of the image gets fixed to them. I've added an image below from amazon for one of those kits. So essentially that plastic frame/trim pushes on a small plastic piece at the end that raises those back brackets when the pano is opening, same thing happens when closing, a sliding plastic piece would push onto another small plastic piece somewhere in that rail frame and would trigger the bracket to slide forward and close down. That bracket is very very easy to move once you understand the concept, looks more complicated at first but its basically a plastic trim attached to the side wall of the rail that is controlling the bracket in the rear. Hope that makes sense.

The following users liked this post:
NixFix (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:24 PM

C63S Coupe - Edition 1
Thank you!! That makes sense, especially with the second pic. I'll try to get it open again later...To confirm your previous statement - When you said pulling on it hard, what did you mean by this? Mine will not lift in the rear at ALL, which I think is where I need the second person to push up while I crank the motor.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:18 PM

GLB250, C300, B200
I tried cranking the motor but that was no luck with me so give it a try. Does the pano sunroof try to at least raise from the rear? or is there no sound or movement at all?
Old 02-28-2024, 05:50 PM

C63S Coupe - Edition 1
Originally Posted by Saammm
I tried cranking the motor but that was no luck with me so give it a try. Does the pano sunroof try to at least raise from the rear? or is there no sound or movement at all?
it doesn’t raise from the rear at ALL. I can hear the sound of the piece on the track moving into the tilt position though. No grinds or anything abnormal during the operation - just won’t tilt or open.
the front will lift after it has passed the tilt operation range, which makes sense since that is the next part of the operation to fully open.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:09 PM

GLB250, C300, B200
Oh okay, well for me I used some old microfiber towels and stuck them in the middle between the pano sunroof and the roof while it was trying to open and then started pushing from inside and I had a glass suction cup on the top, I had someone press the button and push from inside while I'm pulling on the cup on the top in the direction the pano would open. Did this a couple of times ( at least 8~9 trials) until the rear started lifting, again stuck some towels in the rear to avoid it from being closed and just kept doing that a lot until it eventually went up enough in the front that I was able to stick the torx wrench in. One side was completely open as if the pano worked fine, and the other side only had maybe less than an inch clearance.. was able to reach in with a long torx set. Once you get to those, the glass slides off easily. Make sure to add a towel in the rear of the vehicle roof so the glass rails dont scratch your roof while sliding out.

Good luck!