40-Years of the Baby Benz - My In-Depth C300 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
40-Years of the Baby Benz - My In-Depth C300 Review

When I think of the C-Class, I often think of it as the “Baby Benz.” The C-Class essentially takes all the goodness of the signature S-Class, and then wraps it in a miniature sized package at more “affordable” prices. In fact, just this month the C-Class is celebrating its 40th birthday. That’s quite a bit of history, history that had the possibility of never being made. Before the C-Class was even known as a C-Class, it was the 190E. Codenamed the W201, this miniature Benz was an idea that was thrown around the board room at Benz quite unsuccessfully for some time. It wasn’t until looming fuel-economy laws and regulations that Benz finally gave in to a cheaper and smaller model. Since then, we have gone through five subsequent generations, each containing their own unique traits and features for the time. Today we have the newly released W206 C-Class, aka the sixth-generation. What once was the best selling Benz for decades is now a shadow of its SUV twin which sells roughly doubles its sales. Despite the crossover craze, I still find that the C-Class has an important position within its competitive class as well as the Mercedes lineup. With that, I’m going to go over the new C-Class in depth, from its exterior, interior, technology, powertrain, and driving dynamics.

Exterior

When first looking at the new C-Class, to the untrained eye it may seem as though it is just an extensive facelift, but in the flesh, and when compared to the outgoing W205-generation, the new C-Class appears fresh and modern, almost slimmed down in comparison despite the larger dimensions. I had a chance to check out both Luxury and AMG-styled vehicles as well as see them side by side to their outgoing generation. The new C-Class appears very modern, taking typical Benz cues such as the long cab-backwards design up front, to the short rear deck. Up front the new AMG-styled grill makes quite an impression. I really like the new star-pattern which uses miniature three-pointed stars in replacement of the older diamond design. This was a nice way of taking a design Benz had originated and updating it while still making it unique and recognizable.

The luxury styled car will feature a more traditional upright grill design with vertical slats replacing the star design. The lower apron is also more conservative, and the entire body features more chrome. Like many current Benz’s I prefer the aggressive although still elegant AMG-Line styling of the body. The new headlights feature the signature eyebrow and single dot to denote that this is a C-Class.

The side profile is probably my favorite view. From the long hood to the sleek roofline and short tapered rear, the proportions are great. The curvature of the greenhouse as it comes towards the rear of the car adds subtle elegance, but also some sportiness to the design. The single crease from front to rear above the door handles removes visual weight and declutters the design, while also pulling the ends of the car together, creating a slim appearance.

From the rear, this is definitely one of the most aggressive angles. The new taillights look great, especially when lit up. The rear of the car looks much less chunky than the past generation, almost visually tricking the eye into thinking this is a smaller car despite its larger dimensions, that being said, I much prefer the car’s rear when opted with a lip spoiler.

While some may complain of its conservative design, I embrace it. With brands like Lexus and BMW throwing away design traits for garish and non-cohesive designs which will not age well, the C-Class’s design is a breath of fresh air. This design is aggressive, yet elegant, subtle, yet also a bit flashy. This will age very well. As for complaints of looking like other Benz’s, this is nothing knew. People who make this complaint must not know their history. Benz has consistently always had a family resemblance between their cars. In fact, the W201 190E (C-Class) and W124 E-Class were actually referred to as the “Bruno Sacco’s Compact Twins.” Their designs were almost exact other than the smaller dimensions, and when placed next to the W126 S-Class of its time, they were a family of cars all under one design language. The Benz way has always been part of the ”Russian doll” or “same sausage different length” approach to car design. This continued well through the 90’s and 2000’s and has always been a Benz trait, nothing new here.

Interior

While the exterior presents a conservative design, the interior is anything but. This is truly where the nickname Baby Benz can be interpreted. As the S-Class starts new designs, it eventually trickles down to the lower classes, with the SL and C-Class being the first to interpret this new interior design. The C-Class takes the design of the S but offers a more youthful and sporting interpretation. In place of the S-Class’s large yacht designed dashboard, the C-Class replaces it with a waterfall design.

Here you will see the familiar three vent design that Benz has been using for decades, as well as the new vertical MBUX 2.0 screen, albeit tilted slightly towards the driver, typically a trait of driver oriented vehicles. This design looks very good in person, and very modern, quickly aging the interior of the W205. When paired with specific trims, such as the “Silver Diamond Pattern” of my tester, or similar but glossy “Metal Weave” trim the interior is even more striking.

The HVAC vents are perhaps my favorite aspect of the design. They feature a very satisfying and tactile click when unlocking/locking them with the middle piece, or when centering them in the middle. In addition, as per usual, Benz has nailed the ambient lighting. The cabin truly feels alive and vibrant when using the numerous different options available, whether they be singular or multi-color.

The new floating door handle is a very nice touch, and the driving position is now lower within the cabin with greater seat adjustability, specifically the end of the seat bottom which now tilts higher than the previous generation which I found too low for thigh support. Speaking of seats, they are so much more comfortable and supportive. The previous W205 C-Class and X253 GLC always bothered my back, mainly due to the bolster/shoulder design. I have zero issues with the comfort of these seats and find that they are not only more supportive but also better bolstered than before. One nice touch is that AMG-Line interior models feature what looks to be a Napa-like dashboard. While I cannot confirm if it is Napa Leather, the dashboard and door tops feature a beautifully smooth and stitched leather which feels very premium. That being said, it’s not all roses for the interior.

One downgrade in comparison to the W205-generation is the return of hard plastic on the lower door panels. While this is indeed typical of the class and competitors, it was a nice differentiator that the W205 featured softer injected molded plastic. I also find that the plastic could be designed to be lower in the cabin. That being said, it doesn’t intrude on the otherwise luxurious feel of the cabin. I would be very interested in testing out the available Napa-Leather interior on the new C-Class as that is a very rare option to find in the compact luxury class. One thing I noticed was that the rear seat space has been greatly increased and feels much roomier. In fact, the rear legroom is apparently within 0.1 inches of the E-Class sedan. The trunk as well looks to be bigger, specifically in width, with more space to load items.

Technology

Like the W223 S-Class and EQ-Models, the new C-Class uses MBUX 2.0. This is MB’s first all-touchscreen based operating system and houses the majority of controls. In addition to the touchscreen, there are numerous different voice controls as well as the typical touchpads on the steering wheel which also control the infotainment if one did not want to touch the screen. I’ve been using this system in my S-Class for some time now and have very little qualms with it. In comparison to the outgoing COMMAND system, it is much quicker and faster to react and startup. The screen is of high quality, and controls are fairly simple, with HVAC controls always present and easy to reach. The new gauges have been simplified while still offering a nice variety of choices. Other than that, I don’t really have much to say about technology. If anyone wants to know more there is also my S-Class and EQS review on their respective forums which go over the new MBUX system in greater detail.

Powertrain

The powertrain is easily one of the highlights of the new C-Class. I have been raving for years about MB’s fantastic EQ-boost system. For those that don’t know, the EQ-Boost is essentially Mercedes’ Mild-Hybrid system which can be used in addition to the gasoline engine. This allows for a much smoother and subtle start stop system. The system works so well that in my CLS, GLE, and S-Class I have found myself not needing to turn it off even. For the C-Class, this addition is fantastic, as this is the first application of EQ-Boost paired to a 4-cylinder engine. The C-Class uses the new M254 4-cylinder engine which is closely related to the M256 Inline-6 engine, but with two cylinders lobbed off. Because 4-cylinders are typically less balanced and refined than Inline-6’s (and 6-cylinders in general), the mild-hybrid system helps smooth the engine out. Upon startup a simple whir of the engine is what you’ll hear, much quieter than the diesel like clatter of most German 4-cylinders upon startup. In addition, the engine can coast to a stop without running when the auto stop/start system is engaged. It is seamless and completely unnoticeable, and when it starts back up, it does so quietly in the background.

Other than the fantastic start/stop system, the 4-cylinder behaves as expected. The exhaust note is not exactly satisfactory, however the NVH of the car is very low and quiet on the inside of the interior. As you get higher in the rev range, the 4-cylinder sounds angrier, however being that this car is aimed at comfort more so than sport, I mainly kept the car in its comfort mode, and the engine lower in the rev range. Passing power is completely adequate and usable for the vast majority of buyers, with the transmission smoothly swapping gears without a notice.

Driving Dynamics

Let’s face it, the C-Class is not a 3-Series, and that’s okay. BMW’s focus has always been on sport, with Mercedes on luxury and comfort, and the new C-Class excels here. That being said, the C-Class has also improved greatly dynamically. For example, when taking corners, while the car is not exactly engaging or asking you to carve corners, the body does stay nice and flat with less body roll than before despite the larger dimensions and weight. In addition, the faster steering ratio allows for less turn lock to lock, giving a more immediate feel to the precision and accuracy of the steering. There isn’t much feel to the steering (although most electric racks can’t provide this) but overall the steering is very natural and direct.

My tester wore 18-inch wheels on Continental rubber, and the ride was very good. Granted, the tires were likely overinflated from the port, but in general the ride was very smooth and decently isolated from the road. While I haven’t driven a W205 C-Class in some time, I would say the car soaks bumps better. As for comparisons to cars like the E-Class, it definitely bridges closer to the E, however while it does feel buttoned down, it doesn’t feature the float or waft that the E-Class features when driving over rougher roads and bumps. Remember though, tire size, type, pressure, can all have different effects on the ride quality, but overall the car felt plenty comfortable for its class. Overall handling is very smooth and composed, with the car never losing its composure. Like I said earlier, this car will not beg you to drive it hard, and its traction control will likely cut in early if you do, but the car can hustle itself down a back road and handle it very well.

Conclusion

Overall, the new Baby Benz has greatly impressed me. Taking cues for the fantastic S-Class and sizing them down to a smaller and more agile, as well as cheaper package has allowed the C-Class to remain a fantastic option for those shopping in the Luxury Compact Class. I find that the combination between the updated elegant and subtly aggressive exterior, with the smoother and more refined M254 4-Cylinder Engine with EQ-Boost, and modern and striking interior will not only benefit the C-Class, but also the upcoming GLC which will share a majority of these items, continuing its streak of being the best-selling Benz in the states.

In addition, I am very curious to see how Mercedes will help the next E-Class bridge the C and S, especially since the C-Class is leaning closer to the E-Class than ever before. If one was shopping the current E350 and C300, I would have a bit of a hard time deciding honestly. The new C not only features gorgeous modern sheetmetal and a newer interior design, but also a smoother 4-cylidner and a large and comparable back seat. The E-Class still stays ahead in areas such as amenities like Massage Multi-Contour seats as an option, along with more premium materials, and a softer ride quality in both standard and optional air-suspension vehicles, but the new C is a serious contender in the compact class that I advise anyone look at if they’re interested.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by js_cls; 05-18-2022 at 08:52 AM.
The following 13 users liked this post by js_cls:
AR_motorwerkz (05-19-2022), benzdude (05-18-2022), bishop64 (05-18-2022), dagger22 (05-18-2022), Drone_S213 (05-19-2022), Grant Hummel (05-18-2022), GSOTXL (05-18-2022), MBNUT1 (06-28-2024), Ormond2004 (09-14-2022), QuadBenz (05-19-2022), Ron P Baker (05-18-2022), Sactownmb (08-30-2022), teksurv (05-19-2022) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
thanks for the review. Those are some of the better photos I've seen of that trim - so thanks for that. I think the metal weave is generally better looking than silver, I just don't want glossy trim - same reason I don't want any of the other trim specs, because they all include piano center console. I like the way it looks to have the same trim on both surfaces.

funny how they both basically look like fake carbon fiber despite being considerably different.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,106 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Sweet, sweet, sweet review js_cls, truly appreciate your time and effort on this, we all appreciate the attention to detail just like your W223 review and love the history bit that makes the C-Class so special and stands out from competitors, all that thinking and decisions that was made in the past. Speaking of W223, since you have been an owner for a month or more now, are you going to follow up with an owner's perspective and impressions on that original thread (unless you already did and I missed it, sorry about that if that is the case)
Old 05-18-2022, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
The Bruno Sacco designed W201, W124, W126 is one of the most iconic lines of cars MB has ever produced. I love my W201 dearly. I've seen the W206 in person and it's a very nice car. It's a foot longer, 1000 pounds heavier and $15,000 more than my W201. BTW, nice Class write-up.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sweet, sweet, sweet review js_cls, truly appreciate your time and effort on this, we all appreciate the attention to detail just like your W223 review and love the history bit that makes the C-Class so special and stands out from competitors, all that thinking and decisions that was made in the past. Speaking of W223, since you have been an owner for a month or more now, are you going to follow up with an owner's perspective and impressions on that original thread (unless you already did and I missed it, sorry about that if that is the case)
Thanks for the kind words. As for the 223, I somewhat did do a follow up post to the review back in October. My boss had purchased an S580 before I did and I had spent a good amount of time driving his for numerous hours before mine, so I posted an update then. Nothing has really changed about my opinion since, and the car does its job flawlessly at eating up highway miles in upmost comfort so there's nothing really new to add to that last update.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by 190Efan
The Bruno Sacco designed W201, W124, W126 is one of the most iconic lines of cars MB has ever produced. I love my W201 dearly. I've seen the W206 in person and it's a very nice car. It's a foot longer, 1000 pounds heavier and $15,000 more than my W201. BTW, nice Class write-up.
Don't forget the R129, that's one of my favorite Sacco designs.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Does the engine still make that tick tick ticking sound like a ups truck or does it sound like a normal car engine?
Old 05-18-2022, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by benzdude
Does the engine still make that tick tick ticking sound like a ups truck or does it sound like a normal car engine?
I’d have to pay more attention since most of the times when you exit the vehicle with the engine running it will use the Auto Stop/Start, so I didn’t hear it much from outside of the car, but being a direct injection 4-cylinder I imagine it will have a similar ticking noise at idle. Most of the cars in this class almost sound diesel like at idle. That being said, from the inside it cannot be heard, and the startup now uses the Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) and whirs to life similar to the M256 I6 and M176 V8 with EQ-Boost. Overall much smoother and more refined than before.

Last edited by js_cls; 05-18-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by js_cls
I’d have to pay more attention since most of the times when you exit the vehicle with the engine running it will use the Auto Stop/Start, so I didn’t hear it much from outside of the car, but being a direct injection 4-cylinder I imagine it will have a similar ticking noise at idle. Most of the cars in this class almost sound diesel like at idle. That being said, from the inside it cannot be heard, and the startup now uses the Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) and whirs to life similar to the M256 I6 and M176 V8 with EQ-Boost. Overall much smoother and more refined than before.
Is this your personal vehicle? Did you get burmester or is it still backordered?

​​​​​​Do you have access to open the hood and record an engine startup and post it here?

Last edited by benzdude; 05-18-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by benzdude
Is this your personal vehicle? Did you get burmester or is it still backordered?

​​​​​​Do you have access to open the hood and record an engine startup and post it here?
Not my personal vehicle, was a dealer unit for sale. It did have Burmester, my dealer said most of the earlier build units didn’t have them removed.
The following users liked this post:
benzdude (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 06:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,106 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Thanks for the kind words. As for the 223, I somewhat did do a follow up post to the review back in October. My boss had purchased an S580 before I did and I had spent a good amount of time driving his for numerous hours before mine, so I posted an update then. Nothing has really changed about my opinion since, and the car does its job flawlessly at eating up highway miles in upmost comfort so there's nothing really new to add to that last update.
Yes I am aware of that review, I gave you a like too when I saw that post last year : ) I thought since now you are an owner you will have more to add, hence my request to follow up on your ownership experience on that thread. However, you just told me in the quoted post that you have nothing new to update so I got my answer : )
Old 05-19-2022, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Don't forget the R129, that's one of my favorite Sacco designs.
I like R129s. The R129 came after the W201,W124,W126.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C300
Would you say the car feels more powerful than the previous c class because of the hybrid motor?
Old 05-19-2022, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Holo
Would you say the car feels more powerful than the previous c class because of the hybrid motor?
It's been some time since I've driven the previous C300. I would say the car feels similar in overall power, but perhaps a tad more torque down low thanks to the EQ-Boost system, however I didn't test above 5k in the rev range as the car had not been broken into. On back roads the car accelerated quickly and smoothly, and I think the car is certainly quick enough for the majority of buyers. For exact test results, will have to wait till Car and Driver posts some official numbers.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 187 Likes on 168 Posts
MERCEDES AMG GT, MERCEDES CLS63 AMG, MERCEDES G63 AMG, MERCEDES CL63 AMG
Wow thorough review! Thanks for sharing!
js_cls (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 07:43 PM

Received 196 Likes on 151 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
@js_cls Any input on quality improvements of C-Class production now in South Africa compared to older models produced in Alabama? The model you reviewed had the 4MATIC...guess it worked seamlessly since no mention of it in your evaluation.

Great writeup!
Old 05-19-2022, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
@js_cls Any input on quality improvements of C-Class production now in South Africa compared to older models produced in Alabama? The model you reviewed had the 4MATIC...guess it worked seamlessly since no mention of it in your evaluation.

Great writeup!
Quality on the car I checked out was very good. Tight panel gaps, no rattles, creaks, or any issues of the sort despite being an early production model. I imagine SA will produce much better build quality than that of Alabama.

As for 4Matic, right now its getting warm so no way to really test it out in inclement weather, and I didn't want to push the dealer car too hard on backroads, just enough that I could get a gauge on the handling. Haven't driven a RWD C-Class in ages and pretty much have owned 4Matic Benz's only so no observations in particular regarding it.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C 300
Awesome review! I’m heading over to buy one now. It comes with the AMG package ($3000) and normally I’d opt out of that but with supply so low and no other cars available in color I want, you’ve convinced me that the extra elements are additive enough to the overall cars look and performance —to warrant me spending the extra.
js_cls (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Nostical
Awesome review! I’m heading over to buy one now. It comes with the AMG package ($3000) and normally I’d opt out of that but with supply so low and no other cars available in color I want, you’ve convinced me that the extra elements are additive enough to the overall cars look and performance —to warrant me spending the extra.
That’s for the kind words, glad that my review was able to help you in your decision. The AMG-Line is completely worth it, you won’t be disappointed.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
Are the paddle shifters in the AMG package made out of metal, or plastic like in the non-Amg steering wheel?
Old 04-07-2023, 01:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
Finally I took delivery of my C300.

I traded in a 2014 Audi A7. I consider the A7 the best car I've ever owned so far. Reliable (140k miles on the odo when I left it and I just did oil changes every 5k miles and the scheduled maintenance), solid, plenty of power, extremely well built.
I knew I couldn't find the same V6 power, the same spacious interior or the same finishes on the C Class when I ordered it. If I wanted to compare apples to apples for quality and power I should have bought an E Class.

First impressions:

- I really like the tech on this car, ages ahead of my Audi, even compared to the newer ones. Driving Assistance works amazingly. Really enjoying it. Maybe because I'm coming from a car engineered over 10 years ago, but still.
Side note: I wonder how a senior could manage all of that. My dad had a long story with Mercedes over the 80s and 90s but he wouldn't be able to navigate all this tech. It would drive him crazy.

- The lines of this car are beautiful, inside and out. I have the AMG package and at beginning I was kind of skeptical on spending $3k for it but it's totally worth it. Stitching inside, the seats, the rims, the front, the night package: just beautiful details.
The dealer wanted to keep my Audi at the dealership when I took it for evaluation, but my new C Class hadn't arrived yet so I drove a 2020 C Class W205 loaner for a couple of days. I honestly wouldn't have bought that car, not even when it was new. Never liked the back of the W205 and it feels much smaller inside.

- The engine is nothing to write home about, but it's peppy enough and so far (600 miles) I've been doing over 30 mpg in mostly highway driving. I wanted something more fuel efficient and I'm happy.
I usually hate the auto Start/stop tech but this one is so smooth and you never feel the engine restart. I'm impressed.

- Also I wasn't expecting the car to be so quiet. Yes, the 4 banger is bit rougher than a V6 at higher rpms but the car is really quiet. I have the acoustic glass option, don't know how big of a difference it makes.

- The Burmester is better than the Bose I had in my Audi.

- I miss the liftgate and practicality of my A7. I could fit all sort of furniture and tools inside and still closing the gate (an Ikea Billy or 8ft ladders for example). As a matter of fact I considered the E Class Wagon (7 seats!) but it is too expensive and a new model is coming soon.

- The capacitive buttons on the steering and on the console... I'm not used to them yet.

- Lower plastics are hard and feel cheap (W205 has soft touch plastics there), and the trunk liner feels like it's from a Toyota Corolla but I'm ok with it. I bought the weather mats but unfortunately the cargo mat is not included.

Conclusion: I'm very happy with my purchase. I really, really like this car and I hope she will treat me well in terms of reliability.

Few accessories I want to install:
I've already done a ceramic coating on the paint and in the next couple of days I'll get the ceramic window tint. Also I want to install a dashcam on the back window, so I will have to figure out how to tuck the cables and get to the fuse box in the trunk.
js_cls (04-07-2023)