C-Class (W206) 2021 to

2022 lack of USB ports!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 10:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC, 2022 C
Unhappy 2022 lack of USB ports!

Just took delivery of a 2022 C300 4Matic. Got the Pinnacle Trim and pretty-much loaded it up.

However, due to "ongoing chip shortages" they deleted (and credited) me for no wireless charging and lack of USB ports. I actually never use the Qi charging in my GLC, so not worried about that. But there is literally only 1 USB port (USB-C) in the entire car (in fwd storage/cup-holder area)! So charging more than one phone is out. Also the dashcam becomes borderline useless, because that needs one of the USB ports (remember, there is only one) for the storage device.

The car is really beautiful (the HUD is amazing too), so this sounds like a strange thing to be upset over, but I truly am...it's a major inconvenience in a > $50k automobile.

Does anyone know of parts/specs/aftermarket where I can buy an insert for the blank-panel where the center-console USB ports are supposed to be to supplement with 1 or 2 additional USB ports (just for charging - would be great to wire them in so they are fully MBUX functional, but I'd settle for charging ports)???

Happy to explain if that question isn't clear.

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
karimdxb (08-29-2023)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 535 Posts
c
DOG's outlined the wireless charging issue and other customers have had the USB ports deleted.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:40 AM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
Originally Posted by alexasa
DOG's outlined the wireless charging issue and other customers have had the USB ports deleted.
Yes, I know that. Virtually all customers will have it deleted until they rectify their parts situation. Do you have any insight regarding aftermarket addins that I can use per my underlined question?
Old 08-02-2022, 12:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
No usb ports in the armrest? How about the lighter outlet in the passenger footwell? Mine came with the wireless charger but is hit and miss.
aweber1nj (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 12:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
I see that having earlier bult car has some benefits. My car has all 3 ports .
If MB excuse is chip shortage then it means that a car needs dedicated USB hub for those 2 ports inside central console storage which is strange. I thought that all it needs is just a panel with wires.
Dstopsie (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 01:49 PM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek
No usb ports in the armrest? How about the lighter outlet in the passenger footwell? Mine came with the wireless charger but is hit and miss.
I'll be damned. The guy "delivering" the car didn't mention that. Just checked, and that is present. Unfortunate location...might need some small command strips for the wires that will inevitably be lying in the footwell, but I guess I'm back to the outlet->USB charger device. That will have to do. Thanks for pointing that out...I probably would have found it eventually, but you saved me some time!
Old 08-03-2022, 01:32 PM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
FWIW: If you plug a mini-USB-hub in the USB-C port, MBUX displays a "USB Hubs not supported". (I assume if you tried to simply power a few devices it might work, but you can't use a hub to install a memory card for the dashcam plus anything else.)

So my single USB port in my car must be used to support the dashcam or that is worthless. Not cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by aweber1nj:
NY City Driver (09-05-2022), pudelosha (08-27-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2022 c300 4matic
Originally Posted by aweber1nj
Just took delivery of a 2022 C300 4Matic. Got the Pinnacle Trim and pretty-much loaded it up.

However, due to "ongoing chip shortages" they deleted (and credited) me for no wireless charging and lack of USB ports. I actually never use the Qi charging in my GLC, so not worried about that. But there is literally only 1 USB port (USB-C) in the entire car (in fwd storage/cup-holder area)! So charging more than one phone is out. Also the dashcam becomes borderline useless, because that needs one of the USB ports (remember, there is only one) for the storage device.

The car is really beautiful (the HUD is amazing too), so this sounds like a strange thing to be upset over, but I truly am...it's a major inconvenience in a > $50k automobile.

Does anyone know of parts/specs/aftermarket where I can buy an insert for the blank-panel where the center-console USB ports are supposed to be to supplement with 1 or 2 additional USB ports (just for charging - would be great to wire them in so they are fully MBUX functional, but I'd settle for charging ports)???

Thanks in advance.
Can someone please respond to this because I am in the same boat as to how to get additional usb ports installed or even jury rigged with extensions etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiefbenzie:
NY City Driver (09-05-2022), tgoulding (08-14-2023)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:54 AM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
I bought this
Amazon Amazon
and installed it under the back seat. (Also required a fuse-tap and some 16 awg wire.)

Basically, the rear seat/bench just lifts up and pulls out. There's a fusebox in the cargo area on the passenger side (speaking for left-drive cars like USA). I snaked a single wire from the rear seat, under the (flimsy, I must say) cowling under the cargo compartment deck-lid to right near that fusebox. Used my fingers to reach under and pull it out from the fusebox compartment (which has tons of room). Connected the wire via fusetap (with 5A fuse). Connected to the aforementioned device hot, and there's actually a ground-screw for the device's neg right at the edge of the rear seat shelf (near the door). Tucked the device between the plastic trim near the door and simply left the USB port dangling in the passenger compartment while I put the rear seat back (there's a gap near the edge of the bench when it's installed...you can feel for it before you take it off, and the bench goes right to the footwell as you get to the middle of the vehicle, so you can't really center it, unfortunately).

The USB port kinda dangles there now. Considering how to secure it a little more properly...maybe velcro or something. It looks decent, but not "perfect". It's not really noticeable at all unless you're looking for it.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550, 2016 C63S AMG
2022 C Class USB ports and Heads-up display

Thanks in advance.
I picked up mine (Pinnacle with Digital Laser Lights and other stuff). Pissed off re USB ports. Few questions...
1. Has anyone tried Mercedes authorized body shop to install a USB port?
2. I ordered the dashcam. Can that USB C port be used for phone charging?
3. Does C Class have wireless charging?
4. Heads-up display options are limited. In A Class I could include speed limit, direction of travel etc. Didn't see difference between minimal and Standard. I hope software update enables that.
5. On main panel is there a way to hide the Applets for Media, Radio...they just clutter the navigation screen...at least one should be able to hide them.
frankly, MBUX is not that impressive compared to Bimmer and Porsche Cayenne.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:36 PM

2015 S550, 2016 C63S AMG
Wireless charging

Originally Posted by Givmeabrek
Is wireless charging standard in Pinnacle version? If so how do you activate it? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Wireless charging was part of the Exclusive and Pinnacle trim levels but vehicles built since about mid may have not been equipped with it due to supply shortages.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:45 PM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
@metanalyst RE #2: Yes, that one USB-C port can be used for charging OR to support the dashcam with a pluggable storage device.

As (maybe) mentioned above, I inserted a 12v acc adapter into the "cigarette lighter" in the passenger footwell. Using that begrudgingly.

(I also installed my own USB-A charging port under the rear bench for use in the back seat. It wasn't terribly hard and it looks pretty good. Wish it was flush mounted, but I didn't want to start drilling holes, and it's not noticeable unless you want to use it.)

-AJ
Old 09-05-2022, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 A220 (V177 USA)
Can you post a picture of this? I can't find any on the internet. I don't get my build till next week and it's missing the standard USB package so just want to see what I'm in store for.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:04 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by metanalyst
I picked up mine (Pinnacle with Digital Laser Lights and other stuff). Pissed off re USB ports. Few questions...
1. Has anyone tried Mercedes authorized body shop to install a USB port?
2. I ordered the dashcam. Can that USB C port be used for phone charging?
1. No.

2. I haven't heard of anyone actually receiving a car with the MB dashcam.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:19 PM

2019 A220 (V177 USA)
Originally Posted by NY City Driver
1. No.

2. I haven't heard of anyone actually receiving a car with the MB dashcam.
you can download the dashcam at shop.mbusa.com
Givmeabrek (09-13-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 09:09 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by alexasa
DOG?
Old 09-06-2022, 08:30 AM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
As I mentioned, I have the dashcam. I haven't actually tried looking at the recordings yet, and in fact, about 50% of the time it complains about my storage device when I start the car. I'm going to try a different USB stick to see if I get more reliable performance. With this model, it CAN be set to auto-start for every drive, and in fact, it's supposed to have the parked-bump sensors where it'll record the car's surroundings if the car is bumped when parked. Luckily I haven't had to check that yet.

@ab9014 what pic would you like to see? My car came with exactly 1 USB-C plug in the front console, under the big display/screen. There's a blank plate in the arm-rest console where there's typically 2 more, and the wireless charger is simply not there...it's just a storage tray coincidentally the size of a cell phone.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:44 AM

2015 C300
As I mentioned, I have the dashcam. I haven't actually tried looking at the recordings yet, and in fact, about 50% of the time it complains about my storage device when I start the car. I'm going to try a different USB stick to see if I get more reliable performance. With this model, it CAN be set to auto-start for every drive, and in fact, it's supposed to have the parked-bump sensors where it'll record the car's surroundings if the car is bumped when parked. Luckily I haven't had to check that yet.
Can you tell me anything about this dashcam? How is it mounted? How is it wired? Does it also have rearview? Does it look like a dashcam you can buy online under a different name?
Old 09-07-2022, 12:20 PM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
It's built-into the rear-view-mirror housing. You can't tell it's installed/enabled really. As it's integrated, no, it's not available under a different name.

As it does handle bump-detection, I assume it also can track the other cameras installed around the sides of the car, but IDK for sure. It doesn't have a camera for in the passenger area.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
Not all trims have dash camera. My car has just the placeholder.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:25 PM

2019 A220 (V177 USA)
I bought this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0918CR35N...roduct_details and installed it under the back seat. (Also required a fuse-tap and some 16 awg wire.)

Basically, the rear seat/bench just lifts up and pulls out. There's a fusebox in the cargo area on the passenger side (speaking for left-drive cars like USA). I snaked a single wire from the rear seat, under the (flimsy, I must say) cowling under the cargo compartment deck-lid to right near that fusebox. Used my fingers to reach under and pull it out from the fusebox compartment (which has tons of room). Connected the wire via fusetap (with 5A fuse). Connected to the aforementioned device hot, and there's actually a ground-screw for the device's neg right at the edge of the rear seat shelf (near the door). Tucked the device between the plastic trim near the door and simply left the USB port dangling in the passenger compartment while I put the rear seat back (there's a gap near the edge of the bench when it's installed...you can feel for it before you take it off, and the bench goes right to the footwell as you get to the middle of the vehicle, so you can't really center it, unfortunately).

The USB port kinda dangles there now. Considering how to secure it a little more properly...maybe velcro or something. It looks decent, but not "perfect". It's not really noticeable at all unless you're looking for it.
Can you link any other products needed to do this besides the one on amazon? I have zero electrical experience but want to add more USB ports to the back
Old 11-03-2022, 08:06 PM

C300
I am curious how folks will get it to work where it doesnt require splicing cables. I have an iphone 11 and charging cable doesnt work. So I used a wireless charging cradle that uses USB C. The phone normally charges great, but in the car using the cradle it would only charge a few seconds at a time. It almost felt like it was draining the phone's battery.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jaguar XE
I saw many 2022/2023 c class with only 1 usb-c port. The only way to make sure you have enough USB ports is choosing $300 advanced usb package..

sadly MB removed standard usb option and credited $50 if didn’t choose advanced usb package option. It’s a shame.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300e estate
i found a way of splitting 1x usb-c into 2 (1x power passthrough for chargers etc and 1x data for music on usb)
i tried a usb c splitter but apparently its really hard to split the power from data on usb c type
ill post the items i bought below:
1x usb-c to usb adapter cable
2x usb Y splitter
1 x usb to usb-c

this will now let me use a usb-c wireless charger AND a usb stick with music on .

usb hubs just dont work on the newer mercs

Bookers (12-15-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2022 lack of USB ports!