Chromed factory rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Chromed factory rims

The dealer wants to chrome my factory AMG rims. Any thoughts??? Any photos????

I am shying away from aftermarket rims (although the ones on this forum look awesome) because I have always had trouble balancing them and our roads are not real nice here....
Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
I have had bmw wheels chromed with excellent results. Mostly about the shop doing the chroming. Some are really good...some are not.

Remember the chrome adds about 3lbs of wght. per wheel. That isn't good. My aftermarket rims balanced up MUCH better than the stock amg's
Old 11-04-2005, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
It pretty much comes down to your opinion and taste. Chrome, like Titleist said, adds realatively significant weight to each wheel. It wouldnt normally be that big of a deal to add 10-12 Lb's to your car but we are talking 10-12 Lb's of unsprung weight which will hurt handling. For example, the wheels cant rebound as quickly with heavier wheels when you hit bumps in the road. Then of course you have the problems associated with chipping. I would def leave them as they are but that is my opinion of course. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had no idea

WOW. I had no idea that the chrome weighs so much! How does that compare to the weight of some of the better aftermarket rims!

Thanks....
Old 11-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 Diamond Black C230K
Originally Posted by traumadoc
The dealer wants to chrome my factory AMG rims.
Your dealer wants to chrome them? If he's the one pushing for it (without having been prompted by you) watch out he's not trying to rip you on the chroming job.

Aside from that, what color is your car going to be?

I got chromed factory wheels on my car, and have been pretty happy with them, although I've recently got a little curb rash and am worried about delamination, but so far it seems to be holding up ok.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Just to give you an idea; these sort of look chromed to me. Maybe their just really dirty? I can't tell
Old 11-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 Diamond Black C230K
That's not chromed.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not certain of their motives

Originally Posted by DiamondK
Your dealer wants to chrome them? If he's the one pushing for it (without having been prompted by you) watch out he's not trying to rip you on the chroming job.

Aside from that, what color is your car going to be?

I got chromed factory wheels on my car, and have been pretty happy with them, although I've recently got a little curb rash and am worried about delamination, but so far it seems to be holding up ok.

The car is going to be Graphite Designo. Chrome should look good. And yes... the dealer suggested chroming them. What is a reasonable price?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 Diamond Black C230K
The car is going to be Graphite Designo. Chrome should look good. And yes... the dealer suggested chroming them. What is a reasonable price?
IMO chrome wheels only look good on very dark colors. Your car is going to look HOT. I'm jealous!

Didn't really know what I was doing when I got my car, and the dealer charged $1300. Looking back, I probably should have only paid maybe $800-$900? You could call a local place that does chroming, and ask them how much it would be, to give you a baseline to judge your dealer's offer.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by DiamondK
That's not chromed.
The more I look at it, the front wheel seems like it's chromed to me. It maybe an illusion but it still gives the effect. Hey, it’s better than nothing.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Dealers make HUGE mark-up in this area. It cost about $100 a rim if you have it done yourself. Plus any shipping, mt and balancing
Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not a fan of chrome.
Black them out
Old 11-06-2005, 03:16 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
1. Chrome rims will leak air and require more freq fill ups
2. There is a type of "painted" on chrome finish now available.
3. If salt on roads in winter, chrome will lift up in areas where damaged.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 Diamond Black C230K
Originally Posted by tomk
1. Chrome rims will leak air and require more freq fill ups
2. There is a type of "painted" on chrome finish now available.
3. If salt on roads in winter, chrome will lift up in areas where damaged.
1. I can attest to this. It's not a huge deal, but you do have be a little more attentive.
2. Where from?
3. Good thing it never snows in Northern California.

Speaking of curb rash. I'm wondering if there's anyway to "seal" the damage points to forestall delamination. I was thinking maybe some superglue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:40 AM

Airbus
Have the chrome stock CLS rims here and have not had any problems whatsoever in losing tire pressure(just passed the 2k mark) but I could see where it could be a problem like you guys mentioned if the chroming was done unevenly screwing up the seal.
It's all a matter of preference. I liked the look with the dark body and contrasting chrome trim. As far as cost. Yea they get you.

Last edited by MDCLS; 11-07-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Almost a Member!

'05 Diamond Black C230K
Nice car MD.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you mind me asking....

Originally Posted by MDCLS
Have the chrome stock CLS rims here and have not had any problems whatsoever in losing tire pressure(just passed the 2k mark) but I could see where it could be a problem like you guys mentioned if the chroming was done unevenly screwing up the seal.
It's all a matter of preference. I liked the look with the dark body and contrasting chrome trim. As far as cost. Yea they get you.

What you paid for the chroming?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey,I'm new to here and it's my virgin post I guess these are what you were referring to,maybe those pics below can give you some idea,anyway here you go ...

Old 11-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Airbus
Nice car MD.
Thanks DiamondK
Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for the photos

Much appreciation.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:29 AM

NSX
WOW. I had no idea that the chrome weighs so much! How does that compare to the weight of some of the better aftermarket rims!

Thanks....
The stock CLS55 wheel is 30 pounds front and 31 rear. 33 and 34 pounds plated. It is cast with a +25mm offset.

If you want my advice, get a performance wheel. Renntech (20 lbs), Kleemann (26 lbs) , HRE (25-35), O.Z. (23-32), BBS (21-25), etc.

The BBS RS-GT is a cold forged alloy wheel, super strong, super light, super high quality and is available in staggered sets for a CLS. 21 pounds. All F1 technology. It comes in gunmetal gray.

The Renntech Monolite comes in standard or diamond finish, 3x stronger than your stock wheels, 10 pounds lighter per wheel.

O.Z. Superleggera... forged... very light.

why pay money to make your car slower... why have a wheel that says "I want to look flashy" rather than a wheel that says "I am a car enthusiast, I know what I am doing, and my car has real performance parts on it".

Go to the upgrade garage at the tire rack and see some of these on your car. www.tirerack.com

I think someone here has renntech monolites just do a search if you want to see those.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 11-08-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You make a good point.

Originally Posted by AMG2GO
The stock CLS55 wheel is 30 pounds front and 31 rear. 33 and 34 pounds plated. It is cast with a +25mm offset.

If you want my advice, get a performance wheel. Renntech (20 lbs), Kleemann (26 lbs) , HRE (25-35), O.Z. (23-32), BBS (21-25), etc.

The BBS RS-GT is a cold forged alloy wheel, super strong, super light, super high quality and is available in staggered sets for a CLS. 21 pounds. All F1 technology. It comes in gunmetal gray.

The Renntech Monolite comes in standard or diamond finish, 3x stronger than your stock wheels, 10 pounds lighter per wheel.

O.Z. Superleggera... forged... very light.

why pay money to make your car slower... why have a wheel that says "I want to look flashy" rather than a wheel that says "I am a car enthusiast, I know what I am doing, and my car has real performance parts on it".

Go to the upgrade garage at the tire rack and see some of these on your car. www.tirerack.com

I think someone here has renntech monolites just do a search if you want to see those.

Here is my concern. EVERY time I have had aftermarket wheels on my car, no matter which brand, the car develops a wobble. No matter what I do, I cannot get the darn things balanced properly! Once I even balanced the wheels on the car. That worked for a while. What do you think I am doing wrong? Wheel shop says it is because they are putting the weights on the inside only. Where we live in Eastern KY, there are just very few good places to get wheels balanced. I just hate to take the risk and then shake everywhere I go.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:48 PM

NSX
Here is my concern. EVERY time I have had aftermarket wheels on my car, no matter which brand, the car develops a wobble. No matter what I do, I cannot get the darn things balanced properly! Once I even balanced the wheels on the car. That worked for a while. What do you think I am doing wrong? Wheel shop says it is because they are putting the weights on the inside only. Where we live in Eastern KY, there are just very few good places to get wheels balanced. I just hate to take the risk and then shake everywhere I go.
The lower the profile of the tire, the more likely you are to feel even the slightest imbalance. So if you are going +1 or +2, it is just more natural that you will feel it. But there is no reason why this should be a problem if its done right and the wheels and tires are quality. You are not the first person doing this, you just need to get a good set of wheels and make sure they are balanced correctly. I have bought maybe a dozen sets from the tirerack for various cars. Mounted and balanced. Never had a problem. I think you have just had some bad luck, but it shouldn't happen if its done right. This is why I am saying get a forged wheel. Due to the forging process it has to be a tighter tolerance wheel. A quality set of wheels should be almost perfectly balanced. Those BBS wheels are X-rayed for imperfections. These are the differences between good wheels and wheels that just look good.