C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

New to Board with CLS63 ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Board with CLS63 ???

Hi, Happy Holidays!

I have been sitting on the fence for a while with thoughts to replace my Audi 4.2 Sport, which jsut finished warranty. I have settled in on going for the 63 above the 55, even though I never drove the 63. I am basing it on the 7 Speed and paddles, basically, along with getting an 07, compared to an 06. I will be getting it with the 030 AMG option.

Here's where I am getting stuck...........

1. I like millions love Black, but @ 37 with Job, Wife and 2 kids, leaves me little time to keep the car spotless. My last 4 cars from Mercedes to Audis have been Silver, So I am a bit tired of Silver, but I do not believe I want to wash the Black all the time. Thoughts on getting a 5th Silver in comparison to a mostly dirty Black?

2. Does the CLS 63 come with Bluetooth? Whereas my Bluetooth will just work?

3. I am a bit of a modder, especially on My Audi, which looks and drives wicked for being the Audi it is. So, where can I find websites pertaining to tuning and cool accessories, etc? I know a guy that just added a roof spoiler to his cls500 and looks awesome, yet I can't find one without a notch for an 07?

4. I unfortunately, dreaded the day I went from my 17' Audi Rims to my 19" Ruf Rims. Worst mistake, I ever made for a consistent hard edge driver. Never quite without a bit of vibration, rougher ride and the car is not as stabile as it was. Drifts a lot easier, but I still feel the rim upgrade has compromised the stability of the car. This is another reason I went with the 030 package to get the nicer 19" Merc rims, which should be perfectly stabile. Yet, there are tons of people here with nicer 19's or 20's. Even that buddy, I mentioned with the roof spoiler put on 20's on his 500. Question is are most of these guys doing it for looks and not truly driving their MB's the way they should be driven? My Buddy is one of them, he might get up to 100 mph, someday. But I am there almost every day. Coming from Sport bikes , there is not a bike or a car I have driven that I have not hit their top speed on. I am still figuring out where I can get this to hit the 186 mph limiter. I know I can hit it quick and easy up to the 140-150 range, but finding room to do the 190 is different.

Now with this in mind, would you change the rims, ever?

5. I, as others have seen some cars on EBAY and the net roughly 110-113K, dependent on Distronic. I have seen many drop $7k off, there is even one that is 113 with 3-400 miles for 14.5k off, which I am seriously inclined to buy at $99k. while I am awaiting doing this, I put one last offer for 94K on a car with everythin but Distronic @ 110k. Is this a great deal, either way? What are people really shelling out for this car with these options?

This of course, being the most important question, because I will snag one in the next couple days, as I have been waiting for 3 months, contemplating it.

I also can't find any in Dark Silver, at all, only Silver or Black, and any that comes with the 030 option, most likely has Gloss wood, which I would have loved the matte wood, instead.

ps. I chose this over the M6, M5, Porsche Carrera S, Jaguar XKR, Maserati Quattro and audi S8 and S6. There was heavy confusion, till I narrowed it done to mid size for wife and kids, and if not the fastest but one of the fastest cars around for this price range.

I live in South Florida, in case you wondered.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:01 AM

pss...

I will most likely add the Renntech Lowering Mod and am not sure about the Renn ECU? 30 HP and 30 tq, not sure it will make a big difference in this car? Does it also unlimit the 186 limiter? If so, what is new top speed on this cls 63

Thanks Again.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Oh jesus...are you on the audiworld forums?

From what I remember, they treat you like God over there!!! LOL Welcome to the forums...I used to drive an audi too. my sn on there was audiboi 2.7T had a ming blue A6 with the S4 motor with H&R springs with sportec mono 10's and was the first with the hotchkis sways... Welcome again!!!

I believe you know my friend also. he had an a6 but he wrecked it on a canyon run wit the socal audi guys...his sn is gimp 2.7T or something like that...
Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Wow that is a loaded post.
Let me see how much of it I can answer seeing as how I have owned the car ONE whole day now.

From what I understand the bluetooth is a $350 add-on which you have to purchase separately. Dealer doesn't have it. BUT you need to make sure your vehicle comes with hands-free which is part of P2 package.

$94K would be an incredible deal on that car new especially with 030. In fact I would be very suprised if you could get it.

As for the color, I am in LOVE with my white car and I have only owned black MBs up to this one (my 3rd MB, C->E->CLS)

As for the wheels, I am keeping mine at 19". Don't know anything about performance vs. size on this car so I'll deffer to others with experience.

I was choosing between many of the same cars, S6, S8, M5, Porsche and at the end it came down to looks, practicality, and power. It certainly wasn't money cause all the other ones were cheaper.

Oh and make sure you get parktronic, it's pretty awesome. Now I won't hit my bike (BMW K1200R since you're a rider too) when I park it.

Good luck finding one of your own. I am sure it'll make you super happy.

T
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Oh jesus...are you on the audiworld forums?

From what I remember, they treat you like God over there!!! LOL Welcome to the forums...I used to drive an audi too. my sn on there was audiboi 2.7T had a ming blue A6 with the S4 motor with H&R springs with sportec mono 10's and was the first with the hotchkis sways... Welcome again!!!

I believe you know my friend also. he had an a6 but he wrecked it on a canyon run wit the socal audi guys...his sn is gimp 2.7T or something like that...
Yes and No. Thanks, but That is a different Carbon. I am on Audi under Atreyos. But I am Carbonlord in a Runescape Character, so........

I do remember audiboi and his car and know many from the board.

Thanks Again.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by trezaei
Wow that is a loaded post.
Let me see how much of it I can answer seeing as how I have owned the car ONE whole day now.

From what I understand the bluetooth is a $350 add-on which you have to purchase separately. Dealer doesn't have it. BUT you need to make sure your vehicle comes with hands-free which is part of P2 package.

$94K would be an incredible deal on that car new especially with 030. In fact I would be very suprised if you could get it.

As for the color, I am in LOVE with my white car and I have only owned black MBs up to this one (my 3rd MB, C->E->CLS)

As for the wheels, I am keeping mine at 19". Don't know anything about performance vs. size on this car so I'll deffer to others with experience.

I was choosing between many of the same cars, S6, S8, M5, Porsche and at the end it came down to looks, practicality, and power. It certainly wasn't money cause all the other ones were cheaper.

Oh and make sure you get parktronic, it's pretty awesome. Now I won't hit my bike (BMW K1200R since you're a rider too) when I park it.

Good luck finding one of your own. I am sure it'll make you super happy.

T

Thanks for some of the answer and awesome bike, as well. Enjoy your new car.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:29 PM

Well, I came to work today and saw 19 Black cars, 18 of which were dirty, except the Bentley GT. So silver it is.

I then made my calls and it came down to that great deal from Ebay, actually going to 98K for the 113K car with 400 miles. Right before I pulled the trigger on this Pre-owned, I had another great offer for a New one coming from 110k to 103,500. after asking the Wife's opinion, she simply said for 5k why not go NEW.

That's what I did. Great discount, too.

I got the CLS63 with AMG and all other options, without Distronic, with Black Interior and High Gloss wood. I could not find an 030 package with Matte wood, which was my first choice. The car will be shipped down and be here by the end of next week. I even got them to take my State tax and get me a plate. All i one shot.

I can't wait and now My Audi needs to be sold.

Please continue with any answers to the abopve questions, with the exception of Color and which one to buy, since I already did it.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Way to go man. My kinda guy, quick decision maker. I can't believe you bough the car without even test driving it once. But trust me, it would have only made it easier to buy.

congrats!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 cls 63 030
Picked up my cls63 that ive been on the waiting list for since mid May. Choosing the 030 package was the best decision I made, really makes the car stand out. As far as the price you were quoting, your pretty much right on. Electronic trunk closer, 030 pkg, and premium pkg 2 puts you right at 109 before taxes, 120 even after tax title and registration. Only had it two weeks and have had two guys in cls 55's come up next to me and stare....can tell they really dont like to see the 63's coming out. There are very clear break-in instructions for the 63's being that it has the 7 speed (4500 rpm & 85 mph before 1000 miles), so these guys posting about the 63's shortcomings this early on in its launch is really disturbing. Cant imagine many people out there have really put a broken in car to the test. These people must be 55 owners who are jealous. Have a 03 sl55 and 500 miles in I will take the naturally aspirated engine in the 63 with the 7 speed. All I need to say is 1950 rpm @ 75mph in 7th.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

break-in

How important do you think the break-in procedure is? It is VERY hard to keep this thing under it's full potential and I can't help get on it. Considering it was probably on a couple of test drives where the guy floored the heck out of it already a few times.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 AM

JoeMoney,

Congrats on the car and thanks for your opinions. What is it that really makes the car stand out?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by trezaei
How important do you think the break-in procedure is? It is VERY hard to keep this thing under it's full potential and I can't help get on it. Considering it was probably on a couple of test drives where the guy floored the heck out of it already a few times.
True. Always wondered about this? God Forbid, you got a demo with 3-500 miles of test drivers nailing this car, then what?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:10 AM

2006 CLS55, Barolo Red
Originally Posted by joemoney415
Picked up my cls63 that ive been on the waiting list for since mid May. Choosing the 030 package was the best decision I made, really makes the car stand out. As far as the price you were quoting, your pretty much right on. Electronic trunk closer, 030 pkg, and premium pkg 2 puts you right at 109 before taxes, 120 even after tax title and registration. Only had it two weeks and have had two guys in cls 55's come up next to me and stare....can tell they really dont like to see the 63's coming out. There are very clear break-in instructions for the 63's being that it has the 7 speed (4500 rpm & 85 mph before 1000 miles), so these guys posting about the 63's shortcomings this early on in its launch is really disturbing. Cant imagine many people out there have really put a broken in car to the test. These people must be 55 owners who are jealous. Have a 03 sl55 and 500 miles in I will take the naturally aspirated engine in the 63 with the 7 speed. All I need to say is 1950 rpm @ 75mph in 7th.

The recommended break in period was exactly the same for the 55.

I'm actually ecstatic about seeing the 63 come out rather than more 55's, it only keeps the 55 production numbers from growing.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM

06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Originally Posted by CLS_AMG
The recommended break in period was exactly the same for the 55.

I'm actually ecstatic about seeing the 63 come out rather than more 55's, it only keeps the 55 production numbers from growing.
I agree, bring on the 63
Old 12-21-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 cls 63 030
The 030 gives you the larger brakes, I believe it is 15.4" in front and 14.3" in back. The difference is noticeable being that there is almost no room for light to sneak through on the front 19" wheel. You get the two piece wheels from the 65's but these are silver, not painted grey. The only other visible difference is the steering wheel with the alcantra suede lining on the sides. It looks real good in combination with the alcantra headliner. 186 mph top speen limiter and limited slip differential are the unseen advantages.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 AM

Just picked up an 07 cls 63 AMG with every option plus the special disigno package. Wicked fast. Looking at the SR7 radar detector next week. I think I'll put the panel where the ashtray was that I just removed. Window tint and clear bra, plus IPOD integration, and I should be good. I can't imagine needing a performance chip! not sure what else there is to do to this!

Only thing I'm missing from my Audi days is the heated steering wheel and the resilient heat (car still heats after you get out). Audi's lighter ports stay powered even with the car is off (great for charging the phone/laptop) I havent found a way to get the cls63 to do that yet. I wish I could replace the trip odometer with the Range. It's easy to get to, but a better piece of data than a trip I'm not on.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jolee
Just picked up an 07 cls 63 AMG with every option plus the special disigno package. Wicked fast. Looking at the SR7 radar detector next week. I think I'll put the panel where the ashtray was that I just removed. Window tint and clear bra, plus IPOD integration, and I should be good. I can't imagine needing a performance chip! not sure what else there is to do to this!

Only thing I'm missing from my Audi days is the heated steering wheel and the resilient heat (car still heats after you get out). Audi's lighter ports stay powered even with the car is off (great for charging the phone/laptop) I havent found a way to get the cls63 to do that yet. I wish I could replace the trip odometer with the Range. It's easy to get to, but a better piece of data than a trip I'm not on.
Congrats on the purchase. PIX!!!
Designo and all ay? Sounds great! What color?
As for the lighter power I wish this was a setting but all MBs are this way.
Heated wheel would be cool too.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 AM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Have white E63 with black interior. Car really looks sharp. I also came out of 3 cars with silver ext,...needed a change.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 AM

cls 63

Grey Metallic (some expensive special paint) and White leather inserts in doors and seats. Nice interior. I'll post pics once I get the tint on. I'm asking about "ceramic" tint, whick supposedly doesnt effect the cell phone signal. I'm also shopping the install of the IPOD integration, as the local dealer wants $1k for parts and labor.

I imagine I could install an extra lighter port under the dash thats "always on"

Let me know what you think of the SR7 integrated radar detector. Supposedly it has some sort of Laser Jam that you can switch on that actually jams their signal!

I do wish that with this engine we got a little throatier exhaust. I test drove the Aston Martin Vantage (way different Beast I concede) and the exhaust tone was to DIE for. Any baffles etc that can be removed to Harley this thing out?
I'd love to have them hear me coming...

I don't have voice command (I don't think!) Is that an option or not?