DMS ECU upgrade for CLS 63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
DNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 63 AMG (previously) looking for another AMG
Question DMS ECU upgrade for CLS 63?

Greetings all. I need your help. I am considering a DMS ECU upgrade. The company have informed me that I can expect about 40 extra bhp and around 40lb ft of torque. However it is the torque figure that concerns me.

As I understand it, one of the major advantages of the CLS 63 over the CLS 55 is its ability to get the power down which I suspect has something to do with having relatively less torque.

My worry is that by taking the torque figure up to 505 I may have the same problem as CLS 55 owners seem to have with the traction control light being almost consistantly on trying to cope with the massive amount of torque! This is not something I would enjoy.

I wonder whether a solution might be to possibly increase the bhp to what DMS suggest but only increase torque by say 15/20 lb ft?

I welcome your thoughts?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
[QUOTE=DNJ;2225813]Greetings all. I need your help. I am considering a DMS ECU upgrade. The company have informed me that I can expect about 40 extra bhp and around 40lb ft of torque. However it is the torque figure that concerns me.

As I understand it, one of the major advantages of the CLS 63 over the CLS 55 is its ability to get the power down which I suspect has something to do with having relatively less torque.

My worry is that by taking the torque figure up to 505 I may have the same problem as CLS 55 owners seem to have with the traction control light being almost consistantly on trying to cope with the massive amount of torque! This is not something I would enjoy.

I wonder whether a solution might be to possibly increase the bhp to what DMS suggest but only increase torque by say 15/20 lb ft?

What is DMS?

Seems they have overstated the power gains by about 18 rwhp. The ECU upgrade from powerchip nets a 20 hp gain and 15 torque but can vary a bit
Old 05-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
No Chip from any supplier anywhere in the world at any price will give you 40HP and 40Ftlbs TQ - that is just the most ABSURD BS claim I have ever seen for and ECU upgrade - steer clear of any company that makes that kind of BOGUS claim.

Most ECU chips are hard pressed to make ANY gains (without other mods) - you should read Car and Drivers "Chips Ahoy" article written a couple of years ago where several cars were tested stock and then again with the ECU chips, and in almost every single case the result was ZERO, ZIP, NADA!

Now getting an ECU reflashed after a pulley mod, or headers, or some other mod, now thats a completely different story - now you are mapping AF ratios to accommodate the new conditions in the motor.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by siswati
No Chip from any supplier anywhere in the world at any price will give you 40HP and 40Ftlbs TQ - that is just the most ABSURD BS claim I have ever seen for and ECU upgrade - steer clear of any company that makes that kind of BOGUS claim.

Most ECU chips are hard pressed to make ANY gains (without other mods) - you should read Car and Drivers "Chips Ahoy" article written a couple of years ago where several cars were tested stock and then again with the ECU chips, and in almost every single case the result was ZERO, ZIP, NADA!

Now getting an ECU reflashed after a pulley mod, or headers, or some other mod, now thats a completely different story - now you are mapping AF ratios to accommodate the new conditions in the motor.

+10000

This is exactly why I decided against doing the chip. No one has posted a chipped dyno that shows more HP than my stock figures. Until they do I am keeping the chip out.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM
DNJ

Originally Posted by siswati

'DMS Automotive' is a tuning company with offices worldwide. Their efforts are regularly reviewed in 'Evo' and 'Autocar.' Their website address is www.dmsautomotive.com.

What the chap told me was that the improvements would come about via a remap.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Contact Renntech/Evotech.

And yes, no tune i've seen has a gain of 40 hp on the rear wheel.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Unless you put more rubber down like 305s with perferablly soft rubber and know how to hook your tires onto the pavemet, it's just an ego thing. Renntech has some rear suspension link upgrades to handle the additional power and torque to keep your rears from flying.

Don't forget that your MB factory warranty goes down the drain with these upgrades you are considerning. If you want pure power and some spare change, just trade down to a Z06!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
i read evo (a lot, have every issue since 2002) and other european mags, from what ive read dms is a very reputable company. i believe their claims arent at the wheels, its at the crank, it is very believable. blue_monster got 3xwhp out of his car and thats on 4wd on 91 octane; in europe they use 98 . the extra tq shouldnt be a problem, its not the amount of tq thats the problem w/ the 55k cars, its the delivery. the 63 has a much more linear delivery being a n/a motor. now go do it
Old 05-24-2007, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
gotta add, if i was in europe the only other ecu tuning company id consider is digitec

they are both very good
Old 05-24-2007, 05:45 AM

E55 AMG
I was going to get this company to lower my car until they told me the E55 infact needs two lowering modules (double the cost)?????????which I knew was bs!!
...I would look for a real tuner to do the ecu upgrade!!!!......out of interest are you looking for a higher top speed????

Originally Posted by DNJ
Greetings all. I need your help. I am considering a DMS ECU upgrade. The company have informed me that I can expect about 40 extra bhp and around 40lb ft of torque. However it is the torque figure that concerns me.

I welcome your thoughts?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Efivefive
I was going to get this company to lower my car until they told me the E55 infact needs two lowering modules (double the cost)?????????which I knew was bs!!
...I would look for a real tuner to do the ecu upgrade!!!!......out of interest are you looking for a higher top speed????
either way, get it done, i would go with someone who specializes in ecu tuning though. but if they are shady then stay away
Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got 23 awhp and 34 Lb Ft of torque to all four wheels through powerchip.
I recommend them 100%

Heres the Dyno
DMS ECU upgrade for CLS 63?-dynoml6393octane1.jpg
Old 05-25-2007, 03:04 AM
DNJ

Originally Posted by Efivefive
No I am looking for better acceleration.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by DNJ
No I am looking for better acceleration.
Powerchip can and will gain around 30rwhp and 35rwtq on a 93 octane tune for the 63 motor... Definitely some good power to be made. Additionally, the software will remove your top-speed limiter and improve your throttle response, which makes everyday driving much more enjoyable.

I can personally vouch for Powerchip's gains because I saw the gains Blue Monster's ML63 achieved while on the dyno and I was very impressed.

If you have any further questions about Powerchip's software or would like a hookup feel free to contact me

-Aaron
Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
DNJ

Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
I got 23 awhp and 34 Lb Ft of torque to all four wheels through powerchip.
I recommend them 100%

Heres the Dyno
Attachment 106087
That sounds great and judging from the dyno data you kindly provided, looks great too!

How much of a difference have you noticed (around town as well as flooring it).
Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
DNJ

Smile

Originally Posted by AMG_55
i read evo (a lot, have every issue since 2002) and other european mags, from what ive read dms is a very reputable company. i believe their claims arent at the wheels, its at the crank, it is very believable. blue_monster got 3xwhp out of his car and thats on 4wd on 91 octane; in europe they use 98 . the extra tq shouldnt be a problem, its not the amount of tq thats the problem w/ the 55k cars, its the delivery. the 63 has a much more linear delivery being a n/a motor. now go do it
This is really helpful info. Many thanks. The chaps at my local mercedes dealer could not answer my question concerning possible traction issues with the extra torque!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DNJ
That sounds great and judging from the dyno data you kindly provided, looks great too!

How much of a difference have you noticed (around town as well as flooring it).
The difference is there. Around 3000 RPM , it feels a lot quicker all the way up to redline. The torque feels great. I managed to shave .4 seconds in the 1/8th mile and gained 4mph trap speed as well. It is a great product. After I got my car done, I also took my brothers CLS 63 and got it chipped also. His car feels a lot stronger as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
The difference is there. Around 3000 RPM , it feels a lot quicker all the way up to redline. The torque feels great. I managed to shave .4 seconds in the 1/8th mile and gained 4mph trap speed as well. It is a great product. After I got my car done, I also took my brothers CLS 63 and got it chipped also. His car feels a lot stronger as well.

Hey has your brother been to the track after powerchip? that is a great improvement .4 over your non chip time!! WOW.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM
DNJ

Originally Posted by juicee63
Hey has your brother been to the track after powerchip? that is a great improvement .4 over your non chip time!! WOW.
Hi, I have decided to go with DMS here in the UK. I will report back once it has been done, probably in July after my car's first service.

On a related subject is the hp for the CLS 63 supossed to be 514 or 507? I have seen both figures quoted. The AMG website says it is 514.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:52 PM

E55 AMG
hi, any update on your DMS upgrade?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
DNJ

Smile

Originally Posted by por997s
hi, any update on your DMS upgrade?
Hi, I am now planning on having it done next month.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM
DNJ

Cool

Originally Posted by DNJ
Hi, I am now planning on having it done next month.
Greetings again.

On Monday I am having the ECU remapping done by DMS. As communicated previously bhp & torque should be up by approximately 40 each.

I will keep you posted!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:02 AM
DNJ

Smile

Originally Posted by DNJ
Greetings again.

On Monday I am having the ECU remapping done by DMS. As communicated previously bhp & torque should be up by approximately 40 each.

I will keep you posted!
Greetings,

I had the remapping done yesterday and had a brief drive. What a difference!! The first thing I noticed was the frequency with which the traction light now comes on. Response to kickdown is mad! It now seems as if a riot is going on under the bonnet. The engine just seems so much more keen.

I will report back when I have had a longer drive.