C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Buying an M5...well, still keeping my 55!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG-all options sans Distronic; Carrera4S; 07 M5;Lexus GS300
Buying an M5...well, still keeping my 55!

Picking one up tomorrow; trading in my 750Li. Grey, all options. Ought to be interesting owning both the 55 and the M5....will post pix if anyone interested.

BTW, had my 55 in for its Service D and told the dealership about the DTB out on the 63's brakes (squeaking problem). After looking at it, was informed that the brakes on mine are same as the S65's (63 apparently different??); so no DTB out for those and were in great shape. Stated that the S65 brakes "better than those on the 63's." Hmmmm....
Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
nice! congratulations.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:14 PM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Great car.
I'm sure she'll meet your expectations.

Seriously, I miss the iDrive.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Congrats.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Congratulations, its nice to enjoy and own both cars in the same league.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM

CLS55
hows the comparison!?!?!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 AM

Thanks all!
I'll post some comparos after I drive it around a bit more, but 2 quite different cars but here are some randon first observation: the M5 lot more visceral, edgy, brakes feel more like Porsche's (grab immediately); steering more precise and faster (2.4 turns L-to-L v. 2.7 for 55's). Definitely don't like SMG head-bobbing gear shifts (); like the HUD, steering wheel waaay better than girly-55's factory. Obviously 2 somewhat different target market audiences....more observations to come.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by chutia
Thanks all!
I'll post some comparos after I drive it around a bit more, but 2 quite different cars but here are some randon first observation: the M5 lot more visceral, edgy, brakes feel more like Porsche's (grab immediately); steering more precise and faster (2.4 turns L-to-L v. 2.7 for 55's). Definitely don't like SMG head-bobbing gear shifts (); like the HUD, steering wheel waaay better than girly-55's factory. Obviously 2 somewhat different target market audiences....more observations to come.

You can and should do the SMG smoothing reset, it really works:

Reach and hold speeds above 40 mph (preferably on a flat surface around 60 mph is optimal), move the SMG lever to Neutral and then pull back both paddle shifters toward yourself and hold for at least 2 seconds. This is a long time posted method discovered on the M boards and it allows for the tranny to synch correctly with the wheels/tires if there are changes or roughness occurs. You can do this as much or as little as you choose.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by chutia
Thanks all!
For now, however, the full potential of the motor isn't available. After approximately 1,200 miles, that is, after break-in, take the car in for her first check up. The dealer will update your iDrive software and remove the limiter that is currently governing your motor from producing all 500 horses.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Centurion
For now, however, the full potential of the motor isn't available. After approximately 1,200 miles, that is, after break-in, take the car in for her first check up. The dealer will update your iDrive software and remove the limiter that is currently governing your motor from producing all 500 horses.
... you can have your 500 hp from day one but you shouldnt use it. I have had the power and pushed the car since I got it as I chose a "hard break-in" technique. The software upgrade may have been the case in older models (circa 2006) but none of the recent M5's or M6's have had such a restrictor that I have heard of.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by Vic55
older models (circa 2006) ...

lol, dude, Vic55, have you ever owned a car that was more than 2 years old?

How've you been brother?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TREZ63
lol, dude, Vic55, have you ever owned a car that was more than 2 years old?

How've you been brother?
Sorry for the Threadjack ....

Nah, no car over 18 months except one: W211 E55- 40 months of amazing power, speed, class, and fun.

Ive been good, come by HMS some time soon.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM

OK, gentlemen-
Here's my subjective observations re the 07 M5 v the 06 CLS55. I purposely decided to wait a few weeks and spend at least some time actually driving and living w/ the new M5 to be able to report back to the group re any observations rather than just first impressions. Since the M5 by now has been extraordinarily well commented upon and well known, these are simply my comparison observations as an owner of both of these very fine cars. I'll also not waste anyone's time re my entirely subjective comments re the exterior or interior design of the cars, except for some comments on the actual execution of the features or quality aspects:
1. Obviously the 2 cars were targeted for 2 somewhat different target markets, hence the M5 is significantly more "technical" car in that it's meant for a driver who is willing to spend considerable more time playing w/ and "optimizing" the car for his style of driving. Hence there is the ability to constantly on the fly change the speed w/ which the SMG shifts (although it seems not to be programmable to just one selected setting?). The SMG itself obviously takes getting used to and I can "shift" much better than earlier. That said, I'll still take a fast DSG or the 55's or 63's auto gearbox over it anytime. The novelty of the SMG in daily driving quickly wears off and becomes weariness and the question becomes: "why do I need this?" But drive the M5 hard and fast, and smile a lot w/ the SMG. The brake and accelator pedals on the M5 are very closely placed for right-foot heel and toeing ,but no problem if you the left foor for braking. Accelaration is linear until you hit about 6K, then look out on the M5>>>
2. The M5 feels much more like an "alive machine" than does the 55 and you feel simply more connected w/ the car viscerally. The M5 engine is simply superb, even in its non-V10 Power mode, though it also simply does not have the torque the 55 engine does. It's a more finely tuned machine (that word kept coming to my mind rather than a "car") than the 55 is. The M5's steering feel, communication and responsiveness is legendary, and rightly so, IMO. You know exactly what the suspension, tires and adhesion is doing, although when I completely disengaged the DSC (which disengages apparently much more so than does the 55's), it can get a little scary b/c the car will doughnut when thrown into a hard drift. That said, the 55's steering is almost as communicative, but not in the exactly the same league as the M5's. Of course, the wimply steering wheel on the 55 is no match for the fat wheel on the M5.

Bottom line: the M5 feels more next-gen than does the 55 in technology and driver-engagement, more and better data-display, immediacy; the car hums like an alive machine; the 55 more relaxed yet massively capable.
3. Braking on both cars is superb, although the M5's is more right-now/Porche's than the 55. No fade in either (I did not track either one). Brake feel on the 55 has been knocked by some reviewers, but I find no problem w/ it; you just have to learn it, that's all.
4. Tactile feel, design and build quality of all secondary controls on M5 beats 55's hands down. Period.
5. While iDrive (whydrive?) has its drawbacks and takes quite a while to use and is hardly intuitive like the Eclipse unit's that are OEM'ed by Lexus, others and are FAR more intuitive, the M5's nav and GUI are hands-down better than the ole COMAND, which seems downright archaic in comparison, although this is not a comment on the actual internal engineering itself.

Both great cars. Just meant for somewhat different drivers.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Nice writeup-
Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
I'm trying to convince my older brother to trade in his CLS500 for an M5, is the drive a lot rougher than that of an AMG? Because he likes my E55 a lot, so I'm aiming him towards the M5, mostly because its my second favorite car out there. Congrats on the car, and even though some people may say that it's ugly (including Jeremy Clarkson) I think it's beautiful.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM

2009 CL63 AMG,2006 CLS55 AMG, 2007 Denali
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
I'm trying to convince my older brother to trade in his CLS500 for an M5, is the drive a lot rougher than that of an AMG? Because he likes my E55 a lot, so I'm aiming him towards the M5, mostly because its my second favorite car out there. Congrats on the car, and even though some people may say that it's ugly (including Jeremy Clarkson) I think it's beautiful.
I think the M5 is an amazing piece of machine. Last year, when i was making my choice between M5 and CLS55... it was looks that won me over. If only the M5 was prettier it would have been perfect!!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 PM

Wow, you're lucky enough to have both cars.
I agree with a lot of your comments.

I realize you said you would avoid interior design, but I was interested in hearing what you think about the two.

How do the interiors compare between the two cars?
In my opinion, I like the idea BMW has with the iDrive. It decreases the amount of "clutter" on the dashboard and really gives it a clean appearance. However, it almost looks too bare. I prefer the CLS interior myself as it has a more luxurious look. What I prefer in the M5 is the sportier steering wheel and the larger tachometer. If you have the HUD, that is pretty cool too.

Thanks for taking the time with the feedback.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by auktane
I think the M5 is an amazing piece of machine. Last year, when i was making my choice between M5 and CLS55... it was looks that won me over. If only the M5 was prettier it would have been perfect!!
Thanks to all re your comments.

Well, as the old hackneyed saying goes (which is why I did not comment upon it), "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." That said, as I've commented upon here many times before, IMHO the CLS is possibly the single most elegant and beautiful 4 door sedan in the market today. It's an absolutely inspired design/execution; surely a piece of automotive art that will be Pebble Beach item in decades to come.
However, while the M5 is certainly a more distinctive body (ONLY to the extent of the wheel arches, aggressive front "spoiler" and rear valance panel) than the 55/63) and "sinister" looking, it simply is not beautiful compared to the CLS. Note too that the CLS is almost 3" shorter than the M5; ergo, a different body elevation and profile.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Centurion
Wow, you're lucky enough to have both cars.
I agree with a lot of your comments.

I realize you said you would avoid interior design, but I was interested in hearing what you think about the two.

How do the interiors compare between the two cars?
In my opinion, I like the idea BMW has with the iDrive. It decreases the amount of "clutter" on the dashboard and really gives it a clean appearance. However, it almost looks too bare. I prefer the CLS interior myself as it has a more luxurious look. What I prefer in the M5 is the sportier steering wheel and the larger tachometer. If you have the HUD, that is pretty cool too.

Thanks for taking the time with the feedback.
I pretty much agree w/ your observation re the 2 interiors, although again, it's a matter of taste and target marketing. The CLS has a more luxurious living-room ambience: lot of wood on the dash (unless you have a carbon fibre replacement), black leather look on the top of the dash w/ the color-matched lower panel, Alcantra, etc. Way too many buttons (COMAND unit), instrumentation very clear and legible but a little retro. Think: luxurious, less "technical" (spelled "digitally oriented") target mkt; very consistent interior design w/ the exterior elegance and upscale but "relaxed" but demanding buyer-profile.
The M5 is definitely more austere, more "digital," more technical, lots more "dial-in's," more driver-selections and programmability. Choice of dashboard material is stark and nowhere as rich as the AMG interior. The gear lever is fabulous, both in its design and feel; far better than the somewhat slushy, leatherette/alcantra/leather luxo design of the AMG.
Finally, there simply is NO comparison between the M5's steering wheel and the 55's, including the M5's backlit paddle shifters w/ the liquid but positive detent and feel.
The interior door panels on both cars and again (no surprise given the extreme professionalism of both manufacturers) are consistent w/ their target mkt audience and projected image: luxo/easy-no-problemo v. luxo-tech.

Not a comment on the interior, but the M5 quite simply thrums and hums; alive and sensing you. The AMG more laid back, supremely capable, hey-you-want-to-go-NOW.......>> you got it.

Again, just my $0.02.