C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

09 CLS63 downshift throttle blipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63
09 CLS63 downshift throttle blipping

Its my understanding that the '09 CLS63 will feature throttle blipping on downshifts, like the C63. I'm sure its nothing more than a software reprogram. Is there anyway we can have our ecu programmed to an 09 ecu so that we may also have this feature?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by lexaltezza
Its my understanding that the '09 CLS63 will feature throttle blipping on downshifts, like the C63. I'm sure its nothing more than a software reprogram. Is there anyway we can have our ecu programmed to an 09 ecu so that we may also have this feature?
That would be awesome but sadly they will keep it under lock and key to sell the new car,
Old 05-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by juicee63
That would be awesome but sadly they will keep it under lock and key to sell the new car,
juice where there is a will there is a may man, trust me on this. If you go hunting for it you will find it, i say this form experience. never mind what the dealer says, go to the techies they are the golden obelisk of modding

and yes the cls 63 09 has the blipping and it sounds nice
Old 05-25-2008, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Zod
juice where there is a will there is a may man, trust me on this. If you go hunting for it you will find it, i say this form experience. never mind what the dealer says, go to the techies they are the golden obelisk of modding

and yes the cls 63 09 has the blipping and it sounds nice
Cool man , I will definately try. I would absolutely love it. It will go nicely with the TT kit or SC or NOS. Hey did you get your TIRES?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Just discussed in the P.L. chat session.
----------------------------------------------
May 21, 2008
We checked into this software updating for the CLK63 AMG Black Series and the cost of the software development was much higher than we anticipated. Based on this cost, the fact that we have not charged our owners in past for software upgrades and the cost to deliver this to each customer (this would need to be handled much in the same way a service action would), we are going to need to look at this much harder.

The software development and changes are quite a bit more extensive than one might expect.

Rob Allan/AMG Product Guru

----------------------------------------------------
The shift reprogramming is very costly, and we need to review this further.
There is no information at the dealers.

The initial AMG Performance Centers have been selected for 2008 and we will be adding more later this year and in 2009. Most of the first 25 have already been trained at AMG Germany and have also had extensive in-dealership training this spring.

Next month, the first AMG Performance Tour dealer event is scheduled to start in California and this tour will visit these 25 Performance Center dealers this year each weekend.

The event is excellent and you should check with your locval dealer to seee if they are one of the AMG Performance Centers for 2008.

Riob Allan/AMG Product Guru
Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by turbotom1
Just discussed in the P.L. chat session.
----------------------------------------------
May 21, 2008
We checked into this software updating for the CLK63 AMG Black Series and the cost of the software development was much higher than we anticipated. Based on this cost, the fact that we have not charged our owners in past for software upgrades and the cost to deliver this to each customer (this would need to be handled much in the same way a service action would), we are going to need to look at this much harder.

The software development and changes are quite a bit more extensive than one might expect.

Rob Allan/AMG Product Guru

----------------------------------------------------
The shift reprogramming is very costly, and we need to review this further.
There is no information at the dealers.

The initial AMG Performance Centers have been selected for 2008 and we will be adding more later this year and in 2009. Most of the first 25 have already been trained at AMG Germany and have also had extensive in-dealership training this spring.

Next month, the first AMG Performance Tour dealer event is scheduled to start in California and this tour will visit these 25 Performance Center dealers this year each weekend.

The event is excellent and you should check with your locval dealer to seee if they are one of the AMG Performance Centers for 2008.

Riob Allan/AMG Product Guru
Thanks,

Lets hope it gets sorted and they find a way to do this . Funny how the C63 blips and the BS does not!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
IMO Rob Allan is just preparing everybody to pay through the nose once (if) this software update is possible. AMG is in this business (money making) you know?

His claim "the fact that we have not charged our owners in past for software upgrades" of course only applies to recalls and is utter bollocks for real S/W upgrades. Any upgrades always cost dearly.

Example? Speed limit removal: That'll be several thousand US$ for no work at all, thank you.

He should sign with: Rob Allan/AMG Marketing Guru.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by sprins
IMO Rob Allan is just preparing everybody to pay through the nose once (if) this software update is possible. AMG is in this business (money making) you know?

His claim "the fact that we have not charged our owners in past for software upgrades" of course only applies to recalls and is utter bollocks for real S/W upgrades. Any upgrades always cost dearly.

Example? Speed limit removal: That'll be several thousand US$ for no work at all, thank you.

He should sign with: Rob Allan/AMG Marketing Guru.
In all fairness, I think the upgrade to the W221 COMAND for real-time traffic and other significant features is a closer parallel. And while some owners had to teach their service departments that this was possible, as far as I know it was always free.

I also had my dealer version code my W220 to restore some deleted features (mirror drop on park and key-dependent memory) when I took delivery of my S65, also free. It is really a Mercedes policy and nothing to do with AMG.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Also, VMax raising, as performed by AMG in Germany, is only done in conjuction with the owner taking a safe-driving-at-speed course. This, and confirming that the car has tires certified for the new max speed, is included in the price. We get a deal in the US at being able to buy VMax resets essentially for free as part of -030 (Performance) packages.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by whoover
Also, VMax raising, as performed by AMG in Germany, is only done in conjuction with the owner taking a safe-driving-at-speed course. This, and confirming that the car has tires certified for the new max speed, is included in the price. We get a deal in the US at being able to buy VMax resets essentially for free as part of -030 (Performance) packages.
With the 030 you pay so much that they have to give you something for free

The VMAX removal costs €2500 without, and €3500 with driver training. I have two AMG Manufaktur catalogues for the SL. One from 2003 and another from 2006 where the two options are specified:

2003 catalogue:

2006 catalogue:

They really only offer you the drivers training to "hide" the €2500 you have to pay for the software update and to give you the feeling you get "value for money". And it's not mandatory at all if you ask only for the VMAX removal.

The "deleted" features of the W220 were really just "disabled" and were brought back thanks to your dealer, not Mercedes or AMG.

But I get your point with the COMAND software update.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
I never saw a price before for "à la carte" VMax increase. Thanks.

What's the TÜV approval? I know what the TÜV is, but the implication is that they must certify each "modified" car in Germany? If so, I assume they charge something. Does the footnote shed any light?
Old 05-25-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I never saw a price before for "à la carte" VMax increase. Thanks.

What's the TÜV approval? I know what the TÜV is, but the implication is that they must certify each "modified" car in Germany? If so, I assume they charge something. Does the footnote shed any light?
The footnote:

1) Must comply with national homologation
Meaning they won't do anything to the car that is not allowed in the country where it is licensed. But since the TÜV is the most restrictive entity in Europe everything that is offered is done over here.

In Germany most if not all modifications to a car need TÜV approval. Wheels, steering wheel, pedals, seats, etc. Since you have to have the TÜV test/proof your car every year you'd better have TÜV approval for your mods.

For your enjoyment I attached the SL and S catalogue pages from 2003 and the entire catalogue from 2003. I do have more, but SL only. Later catalogues don't include the w220 or w221 yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AMG manufaktur SL 2003-09.pdf (121.7 KB, 1135 views)
AMG manufaktur W220 2003-09.pdf (233.7 KB, 759 views)
AMG manufaktur 2003-09.pdf (1.13 MB, 1311 views)
Old 05-25-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Thanks for the catalogs. It does sound like AMG must get each car certified, and the government fee could be a major part of the expense.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Thanks for the catalogs. It does sound like AMG must get each car certified, and the government fee could be a major part of the expense.
Is surely is part of the expense. But the certification is done once for the product once and can then be applied to all cars. Not every individual applied modification is certified.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
What is TÜV ?
Old 05-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63
How much does a brand new ecu cost? Also, does anyone know how long an ecu reprogram would take?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
What is TÜV ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technis...wachungsverein
Old 05-25-2008, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by lexaltezza
How much does a brand new ecu cost? Also, does anyone know how long an ecu reprogram would take?
Downloading new code into the ECU doesn't take very long if you have the right equipment. Usually you remove it from the car and overnight it to the tuner, who then overnights it back. Of course, developing new code to improve performance takes lots of time, trials and testing.

An ECU isn't cheap, $1,000 or more depending on model but they don't need replacing very often.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Originally Posted by juicee63
Thanks,

Lets hope it gets sorted and they find a way to do this . Funny how the C63 blips and the BS does not!
ahem. read between the lines at what he is saying.

"New AMG Performance Centers in U.S. Mercedes-Benz showrooms aim to introduce customization options previously offered only in Europe" http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/web...z_plans_a.html

Last edited by turbotom1; 05-26-2008 at 10:00 AM.