C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

TPMS question for 06 CLS55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG; 2006 Infiniti FX45;
Exclamation TPMS question for 06 CLS55 AMG?

Hey guys. I'm getting conflicting reports as to whether the 06 cls55 amg has TPMS or some other system it uses to calculate loss of tire pressure. Everyone I've spoken to and have also read searching through the forum, seems to give the same conflicting reports.

I had a flat the other day. When roadside assistance came out to pump up the spair and change my tire, I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it actually has tpms. The Mercedes technician didn't seem to even know. He just pull the tire off and installed the donught.

I need help on this this. Can someone explain to me what system we have and if I should have any problem installing new wheels and tires once it comes in? Thank you in advance.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 AM

'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
CLS55 has a passive system vs CLS63 which has TPMS

quoted from an old thread...

the 55's (what I have also) is a passive system... I've heard that a calculation is done by the on-board computer. An estimate is made based on comparing the standard rate of rotation of the wheels vs the rate it rotates with less air pressure...

I can't cite the exact physics behind it, but if one tire has less pressure, it will have more rolling resistance, a smaller radius, and diameter.

The system is not very accurate, but has been able to warn me when there has been significant changes in pressure, but not minor ones.

meanwhile, the 63's have actual physical tire pressure sensors, meaning you don't have to be in motion for the computer to calculate whether you have a flat/less air in the tire(s)...

hope that helps.

- Ed
Old 08-11-2008, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
if you look at your owner's Manual you'll see the TPMS is, depending on markets, available as an option. ther eis also explained how it works.

my car is at the Service in this moment .. and there are trying to retrofit the complete TPMS (or RDK in german) system: it is expensive indeed !
.. you need a control unit + 4 wheel sensors + 4 antennas + .. a lot of cables
.. can't wait
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Almost a Member!

CLS 320
TPMS is an option.

You have a wireless sensor in each wheel, and an antenna in each wheel arch (you should be able to see this under the arch)

If you have the TPMS option, it will be one of the pages in the dash display and will show you the actual pressure in each wheel.

As standard, the car also has tyre deflate monitor. This basically warns you if there is a sudden loss of pressure (blow out) in a tyre. This uses the ABS sensors to monitor the rotation of the wheel compared to others tyres.

You wont see any info related to this system in the display unless a tyre fails.

Amit
Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Amituk
TPMS is an option.

You have a wireless sensor in each wheel, and an antenna in each wheel arch (you should be able to see this under the arch)

If you have the TPMS option, it will be one of the pages in the dash display and will show you the actual pressure in each wheel.

As standard, the car also has tyre deflate monitor. This basically warns you if there is a sudden loss of pressure (blow out) in a tyre. This uses the ABS sensors to monitor the rotation of the wheel compared to others tyres.

You wont see any info related to this system in the display unless a tyre fails.

Amit
My monitor doesn't show all four wheels individually. It only shows "check tire pressure and reactivate" light. Does that mean I don't actually have TPMS? Sounds like that's what I'm understanding. So it should be ok for me to just swap wheels and tires without actually having to do anything extra, right?

Thanks to all.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:29 AM

'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
Originally Posted by Amituk
TPMS is an option.

Amit

This is not entirely true... The passive system has been able to warn me when there is low pressure.

While I prefer an actual TPMS as in my other cars, the CLS55, depending on the region you have your car, were passive by default. The US was late in mandating that all cars have TPMS, unlike other parts of the world.

But to answer your question, yes, you should be able to mount any rim / tire of your choice as long as the overall diameter of the tire is the same.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 PM

I have a 2006 CLS55 and mine does have TPMS with sensors and my dash shows individual tire pressure. I just bought aftermarket wheels and everywhere I go to buy sensors, the people tell me my car doesnt have sensors in it and its a passive system. Yet I replaced the rear wheels and now I get a message saying sensors missing. Do some 55's have sensors and others don't?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by nJuDunno
I have a 2006 CLS55 and mine does have TPMS with sensors and my dash shows individual tire pressure. I just bought aftermarket wheels and everywhere I go to buy sensors, the people tell me my car doesnt have sensors in it and its a passive system. Yet I replaced the rear wheels and now I get a message saying sensors missing. Do some 55's have sensors and others don't?
Seems like that is the case. I must have the passive system, since it doesn't display the individual wheels. I receive a message on the center instrument panel saying "Check tire pressure and reactivate", or something to that effect. That is the only info I receive when I lose air pressure on one of my tires. Hope I'm right!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM

'06 cls 55 amg, '03 Range Rover HSE, 88 Firebird Formula
I'm having the same confusing issue. My 55 only let's me know that the tire pressure is low but doesn't let me know which tire is low. I guess this means I have the passive TPMS? I'm about to get aftermarket wheels and was going to remove the factory TPMS sensors but I'll probably not do this now.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by nJuDunno
Yes. TPMS was listed as option code 475, cost $410, and was, according to the ordering guide I've got, available only with the 030 AMG Performance Package.

As someone mentioned, if the vehicle has it, it will be accessable via the menus, and shows an image of the vehicle with the tire pressure for each tire shown next to its relative position.

So now comes the next question: does anyone here have the TPMS on a CLS55 which does not have the 030 package?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Improviz
Yes. TPMS was listed as option code 475, cost $410, and was, according to the ordering guide I've got, available only with the 030 AMG Performance Package.

As someone mentioned, if the vehicle has it, it will be accessable via the menus, and shows an image of the vehicle with the tire pressure for each tire shown next to its relative position.

So now comes the next question: does anyone here have the TPMS on a CLS55 which does not have the 030 package?
Yes, as I wrote above
i didn't have as stock
but NOW I HAVE IT

not an easy nor cheap retrofit, thou

loving it ...
I didn't imagine that pressure at 2.4bar when parked in the morning could rise to 2.7 just after one km !

Last edited by dyno; 01-06-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dyno
Yes, as I wrote above
i didn't have as stock
but NOW I HAVE IT

not an easy nor cheap retrofit, thou

loving it ...
I didn't imagine that pressure at 2.4bar when parked in the morning could rise to 2.7 just after one km !

Just curious, besides the sensors for all the wheels, what else did you have to purchase/install? Im interested in doing this.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jocampo
Just curious, besides the sensors for all the wheels, what else did you have to purchase/install? Im interested in doing this.

Thanks
see post #3
and here you see all cables that need to be installed. not a quick deal.

besides that, most important and difficult, your dealer must be able to get a specific code string to have the image appearing in the intrument cluster

Last edited by dyno; 01-06-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
thanks! The graphic illustration is great! wondering if ill need to rebalance my wheels from the weight of the sensor?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jocampo
thanks! The graphic illustration is great! wondering if ill need to rebalance my wheels from the weight of the sensor?
yes,
better you first take off existing weights

this TPMS system is really funny
... I played trying to obtain a perfect pressure match, deflating or inflating each wheel .. and it immediately shows you the new pressure .. then you store it and the system warns only after taking into account for many parameters: external temp, load on the car, speed

I usually never pay due attention to tire pressure ... my Bro always ask me "did you check tire pressure?"
.. now I can finally say YES !

it's definitely a great thing.

Last edited by dyno; 01-06-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by dyno
see post #3
and here you see all cables that need to be installed. not a quick deal.

besides that, most important and difficult, your dealer must be able to get a specific code string to have the image appearing in the intrument cluster

When TPMs was added to my w211 No Code string was required ...just version coded Present via SDS
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 PM

So, how much does a system like this cost? Since I don't have the TPMS for each individual tire would I have any problems with getting aftermarket wheels? Would I constantly get the low pressure warning?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by BlackBeast'06
So, how much does a system like this cost? Since I don't have the TPMS for each individual tire would I have any problems with getting aftermarket wheels? Would I constantly get the low pressure warning?
Contact Steve @ MBENZNL.com re the current price to add TPMs to the 219
it requires four sensors/antennas/wire harness/control unit and LOTS of labor
as most of the inside of the car must be removed to run the wire harness
because it goes to every corner of the vehicle

With Basic TPMs it uses the ABS wheel speed signal to locate the low tire
it does not use a sensor in side the wheel..so you can change rims without any changes
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS55, R350
I guess I have the passive, when I got my new wheels, I didn't swap any sensors over and I never got a error light.

Edit: My car is a 06 WITHOUT 030
Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM

With Basic TPMs it uses the ABS wheel speed signal to locate the low tire
it does not use a sensor in side the wheel..so you can change rims without any changes[/QUOTE]

Well thanks and I hope everything turns out ok with my new wheels. Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by DMW2
I guess I have the passive, when I got my new wheels, I didn't swap any sensors over and I never got a error light.

Edit: My car is a 06 WITHOUT 030
What size did you go too? + 1's?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
When TPMs was added to my w211 No Code string was required ...just version coded Present via SDS
me instead, after installation they told me that sensors worked but ... no car in the screen something like when they say: surgery technically ok but patient ...
Had to wait more than one month for the dealer to get the coding
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlackBeast'06

I think not much less 2k euro + expences if you have to go far away
... but you can find ways to economise