S/C shuts off - johnosn pump, private label H/E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLS AMG 55
S/C shuts off - johnosn pump, private label H/E

Hey guys!

I know this problem has been discussed here a billion, no - a zillion times, but mine is a tad different.

About 4-5 months ago, i ordered and installed Johnson's pump and Private Label Heat Exchanger which is being advertised here. The weather was too cold to try anything serious, but now it is warmer and i notice that after a few kick downs the S/C shuts off for a while and then everything gets back to normal.

So, what do i have to check? The pump? Or maybe the amount of liquid in the system?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
did you bleed air out of system?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Yea, you most likely have air in the system, which is inhibiting the pump/inter cooler from doing their job...
Old 04-17-2011, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I have the same combo and mine has never shut off. Either pump is not working or system is not bled properly.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
you may also want to check the iat sensor. and the fuse to the i/c pump
Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 AM

MB CLS AMG 55
Hey guys.
That's some good advise you gave me, thanks. I will check if there is air in the system, the pump, iat and the fuse.
The combo was installed at the workshop, so I hope they'll fix it for free, if the problem is caused by the air.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 AM

MB CLS AMG 55
By the way. As the weather got warmer, It feels like the car had got a little bit weaker. But it is all very subjective, of course.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 AM

MB CLS AMG 55
One more thing:
When guys at the workshop installed H/E and a pump, they said that they had hard time filling the system with air, as the intercooler circuit was separated from the main cooling system and didn't have any reservoir. I asked if it was custom made and they said that it came this way from factory and they used MB's software to check how exactly it was made by typing in my VIN number. So... The car was made in U.S.. Does anyone here own a car with a separated circuit?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
The V12TT's have a separate circuit. I was under the impression the V8 S/C's did not have that...

Some guys here with 55's do have a sep circuit - but it was done that way by them.

Do you have Schraeder valves (looks like an overgrown tire valve stem) near your IC? If so, you can press the stem on that to see if you get air or liquid. Be sure it's not the one on your fuel rail...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 AM

MB CLS AMG 55
@FormulaZR,
Should i look near the S/C or near the HE?

BTW, i just called to the workshop i used to install the combo and they said, that they had to fill the system via the nipple on the S/C, because when they had everything connected the water just wouldn't go into the system and later they found out that the car has separate circuit.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Yes
Originally Posted by StabMe
@FormulaZR,
Should i look near the S/C or near the HE?

BTW, i just called to the workshop i used to install the combo and they said, that they had to fill the system via the nipple on the S/C, because when they had everything connected the water just wouldn't go into the system and later they found out that the car has separate circuit.

To be honest, I don't really know my way around the 55k engine. Here's where they are on my V12TT; the location won't help you, but maybe the look will. Post some pics (or pm them to me) and I'll try to help you find them.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Yes
Did you buy the car new, or do you know if the person(s) who had it before you modified it?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM

MB CLS AMG 55
Thanks for the pics, mate!

I bought it as a used car and actually i don't know if it was modified by the original owner, because i bought it at a kind of auction. Interestingly, guys at the workshop say that there are different modifications of the car and one of them comes with a separate circuit.

I will post pics of the S/C to find out where those valves are located. So, do i just connect the hose and start the engine to bleed the system? What would be a good indicator that the system is bled - flowing liquid?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Yes
Yes, flowing liquid. If you can get an idea for what's happening in the picture above, it's basically bleeding itself of all the air bubbles (the car is running in the picture). The coke bottle is keeping me from having a mess, and from getting more air in the system.I was keeping the coke bottle full until this point - which is when it's just kind of burping every now and then. I have a whole write up on changing a V12TT's IC pump which covers this a little better. Just search for my posts. It won't 100% apply to your car; but it might give you an idea.

The schraeder valves, are just like a big tire valve stem. They have the same "core" to them also...that spring loaded "button". You can use a standard valve stem core removal tool to take that out for free flow. Otherwise, you'll just have to push it down with a screwdriver, etc...
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
There is a post in the E55 section on how to bleed the system even if it's not stock it will use the same principle.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:08 AM

MB CLS AMG 55
Thanks guys for your help. The reason for the sc to shut off was screamingly stupid - guys at workshop didn't fill in enough of coolant liquid and were able to add one litre more! :-) they had to do it through the valve through which air is usually bled as it is the only hole in the system.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Yes
That was one huge air bubble...haha.