C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Side markers, Interior trim, nice wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 320CDI
Side markers, Interior trim, nice wheels?

So far the biggest problems with the CLS have been:
1) the yellow side markers which are now integrated into the bumper, unlike the E-class (where the "yellow" was on top of an impact strip easily reaplaceable with a Euro version). I am ssuming one would now have to change the whole bumper to get rid of those. Euro strips never did it for me, never looked clean enough.
2) Mercedes decided not to offer the black birdseye interior trim wit this car. Any ideas? So far, the only place capable of repainting and refinishing that I've seen is http://www.rau-autowood.com/home.htm. But does Mercedes offer this as an option? The Brabus trim is a nice try but not as stylish as the real deal.
3) There seems to be a shortage of wheels for this car. The car can accomodate 305/25/20 in the back (on select Carlsson wheels) yet most tuners came out with the ugliest wheel designs (multispoke, etc.) So far, the cleanest wheels are the 770 AMGs but they only fit 285/19s.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:13 AM

W221-S550
I'd agree with you on the side markers and those things has always been one of my pet peeve. I figure soon er or later someone will come out with a clear lens replacement, failing that, I may consider getting that hole filled and painted body color
Old 02-19-2005, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
The wood thing really pisses me off. Why the hell wouldnt they offer the Black Birds Eye Maple? I am sure that soon after I take delivery of my CLS55 in April or May, it will become an option. Instead I took the high gloss Laurel as the matte looks cheap and the Burl Walnut is too light in color. Very frustrating to be spending this kind of money and not getting exactly what you want. But the body and engine are well worth a little wood frustration not to mention what this car will look like on my 20" HRE 547R's with a 4" rear lip that I have waiting for it!
Old 02-19-2005, 02:01 PM

E63 biturbo
Originally Posted by aniantchev
So far the biggest problems with the CLS have been:
1) the yellow side markers which are now integrated into the bumper, unlike the E-class (where the "yellow" was on top of an impact strip easily reaplaceable with a Euro version). I am ssuming one would now have to change the whole bumper to get rid of those. Euro strips never did it for me, never looked clean enough.

I share your view on this very strongly, but can you not request them to be removed or something?? I've seen some pictures on this forum which led me to think that there was some hope yet:

Pics1

Pics2
Old 02-19-2005, 05:09 PM

W221-S550
those side markers are mandatory for North American spec cars. The pics you posted are Euro cars
Old 02-20-2005, 10:54 AM

E63 biturbo
Originally Posted by flaw
those side markers are mandatory for North American spec cars. The pics you posted are Euro cars
Mandatory!! That's horrible man ... it really spoils the look of a black car IMO, which is a pity cos that's one of the best colours for the CLS. I guess the next best thing is to either wait for aftermarket clear markers or get a Brabus bumper.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 PM

W221-S550
I agree completely. My CLS55 will be in Obsidian Black and I am pissed. In terms of the clear sidemarkers, I am not holding out much hope My W211 E55 bodystyle also had an orange sidemarker. My only option was to get the Euro bumper strip or body color lens. Even now, there is no aftermarket product for clear side markers for the W211. Lots for W210. I may have to just go with a body color side marker lens, not the best IMHO
Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by aniantchev
2) Mercedes decided not to offer the black birdseye interior trim wit this car. Any ideas? So far, the only place capable of repainting and refinishing that I've seen is http://www.rau-autowood.com/home.htm. But does Mercedes offer this as an option? The Brabus trim is a nice try but not as stylish as the real deal.
There's a black available for a designo option. If you want to replace it all, it would be quite costly, but we could source it.

-s-