C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How much below MSRP will the dealer go on a new C55 or E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 current, M5 Sold, C32 Sold, 330xi Sold
How much below MSRP will the dealer go on a new C55 or E55

how much will a dealer go off a C55 or E55? what would a good price cut be off MSRP.. can you cut a deal on monthly payments?
What should I be trying to get free or looking for when buying such a high end car?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:48 PM

My recommendation is to pay MSRP if you order it. If it has been on the lot awhile, then you might just ask them what they want out of the deal. Typically though, hunting for big price cuts and horse trading isn't advisable with Mercedes and other quality. It just doesn't develop any kind of relationship that you can rely on if something goes wrong with the car or if you want to buy another one from them in the future. The most I would find acceptable to request off on a car off the lot is the gas guzzler tax. Hope this helps.

Try developing the relationship first and then let them offer you money or items. On my last purchase I was gifted the gas guzzler tax and sent a very nice piece of crystal to keep things in as a token for appreciation. At the true luxury level, these dealers (the good ones anyway) realize the importance of customer loyalty and appreciation.

For some reason it just doesn't look right to post on this forum asking how much you can hoodwink out of the dealer. I am sorry you are getting the brunt of this, and if you were the first one to be a dealer bragging about getting over msrp or haggling a great deal I would probably just let it go. I am hoping you are asking because you don't know what is appropriate, and I have tried to provide a guide to that here.

Last edited by rguy; 03-10-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
The avg dealership here in so-cal has many C55's in stock (some up to 5) and they will sell you one for 1k over cost and maybe even 500 over cost. The car is not selling well (not that it is not a great car... just not as popular in this city as say a 55k powered car).

As for E55's there are I think 2 on e-bay for 4k off sticker last I checked. If you could get the Granite Grey E55 I saw for 4k off sticker on e-bay you would be getting a great deal. The E55 is in higher demand but I think you can still find a discounted car in a day or so.

As for paying sticker because it makes for better service I will respectfully disagree. If the car is being offered for less who in their right mind would offer more? I was offered 2k off a C55 in the first 5 minutes of looking at one in Los Angeles. Get the best deal you can and save some money that can go towards your first years depreciation!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:58 PM

C32
Originally Posted by rguy
My recommendation is to pay MSRP if you order it. If it has been on the lot awhile, then you might just ask them what they want out of the deal. Typically though, hunting for big price cuts and horse trading isn't advisable with Mercedes and other quality. It just doesn't develop any kind of relationship that you can rely on if something goes wrong with the car or if you want to buy another one from them in the future. The most I would find acceptable to request off on a car off the lot is the gas guzzler tax. Hope this helps.

Try developing the relationship first and then let them offer you money or items. On my last purchase I was gifted the gas guzzler tax and sent a very nice piece of crystal to keep things in as a token for appreciation. At the true luxury level, these dealers (the good ones anyway) realize the importance of customer loyalty and appreciation.

For some reason it just doesn't look right to post on this forum asking how much you can hoodwink out of the dealer. I am sorry you are getting the brunt of this, and if you were the first one to be a dealer bragging about getting over msrp or haggling a great deal I would probably just let it go. I am hoping you are asking because you don't know what is appropriate, and I have tried to provide a guide to that here.
Are you a dealer?

The gas guzzler tax, however, is about 1200 or 1500 dollar discount regardless. Otherwise just throw out a number that is reasonable. As long as the dealer can tell you are interested in buying the car and they have more than 1 or 2 on the lot, I am sure they are willing to work with you.

For example, at Autobahn in NorCal the dealer is willing to sell me a loaded 05 CLK55 for 3K below MSRP, and it has 2 of em on the lot.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
RGuy - I really have to disagree with you over "Top dollar Price = Better Service" theory. Automobiles, be it Mercedes or any other brand are merely commodities with supply and demand setting the price. You may have a "special" relationship with you dealer, as many of us loyal customers do, but it's not because you didn't negotiate with your dealer. If you really want to enhance your dealership service experience, think of your service advisor and service manager around the holidays. They'll appreciate it and remember you. (And no, I don't work at the dealership.)
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by vimzin
how much will a dealer go off a C55 or E55? what would a good price cut be off MSRP.. can you cut a deal on monthly payments?
What should I be trying to get free or looking for when buying such a high end car?

MD/VA/DC you can not buy a 2005 E55 for under MSRP.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by ultraseven
Are you a dealer?
No doubt about it.
Agree with MBZFAN55.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Ditto
Old 03-10-2005, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
heh.... this is hilarious.... either your kidding, or you really got hosed on your deal and are trying justify it...

you can get new E55's under MSRP.... shop around....

Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 PM

07 CLS550 & 07 Accord
def you can get E55 under MSRP...I got quoted $86,000 almost loaded when I got C55 for $56,950 Fully loaded... good luck!!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I paid $45,000 over sticker for a C55, but my salesman gave me a BJ, and even cleaned my windshield. He told me that next time I should pay $55,000 over sticker and I would get a hydrocolonic thrown in.

I totally agree. Pay more, and the dealer will service you.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 AM

Nothing
Originally Posted by Vomit
I paid $45,000 over sticker for a C55, but my salesman gave me a BJ, and even cleaned my windshield. He told me that next time I should pay $55,000 over sticker and I would get a hydrocolonic thrown in.

I totally agree. Pay more, and the dealer will service you.
LOL.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:06 AM

06 E55 current, M5 Sold, C32 Sold, 330xi Sold
hahaha so its agreed that one dumbass is either a dealer or likes to pay over too much for his cars

thanks for the help guys I went to the dealer and i talked prices with my salesman... I can pay over 1000 a month over 5 years for a E55 or around 500 a month for 5 years for a C55 with my trade in and 5000 down...
not sure if being 21 and having a 90,000 dollar car is smart at this point in my life but im leaning towards a C55... I can afford that with out breaking the piggy bank open... im sure one day I will own my dream car which is currently the E55 but who knws maybe I will have another dream car by the time I can afford it with out breaking my budget..
Old 03-11-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by vimzin
hahaha so its agreed that one dumbass is either a dealer or likes to pay over too much for his cars

thanks for the help guys I went to the dealer and i talked prices with my salesman... I can pay over 1000 a month over 5 years for a E55 or around 500 a month for 5 years for a C55 with my trade in and 5000 down...
not sure if being 21 and having a 90,000 dollar car is smart at this point in my life but im leaning towards a C55... I can afford that with out breaking the piggy bank open... im sure one day I will own my dream car which is currently the E55 but who knws maybe I will have another dream car by the time I can afford it with out breaking my budget..

The dream car always changes. THe C55 is a hot car, once you learn how to drive it its a handful. The E55 is not nearly as sporting when you have to go around stuff like corners. Its an absolute rocket in a sraight line but overall I think the C55 is more entertaining to drive.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
I paid just under invoice for my C55.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Well, you guys sure have been busy in my absence. Although, once again you guys all got it wrong.

Thanks for calling me a dumbass though, Vimzin, I appreciate how mature it was and how it made you look like the dumbass.

Cyncarvin32, I appreciate your willingness to politely respond, but I am still left feeling you don't really understand my writing or you don't read it because you still have your finger on the hot button. All-in-all though, that was about 3000% better. Here's what you missed: I never said that you should pay MSRP for a lot car. Read my post again, and I am sure you will be able to get it the second time. Also, I think you helped lead people astray and helped start the bandwagon, but of course they did the majority of the leg work.

In fact, who in their right mind would pay MSRP for a car that has been sitting in a showroom, having people scratch up the leather, it's painted the wrong color, or has some crucial option is missing? I guess it is for those who "jist gotsta hav it". I am not a dealer, never intended to be a dealer, never will be a dealer. I don't want BJ's from my dealer, I like him and all.... I just don't think of him that way(thanks Vomit).

Top three reasons you guys are way off base:

(1) The word service is never mentioned in my post. I said that you establish relationships first and based on that you don't have to negotiate because nobody BS's each other. There is a reason, gentleman, that I get my cars custom ordered and delivered whenever I want them without having to wait two years and without running around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for a lot car that isn't optioned correctly because some hot celebrity said it would get you banged or accepted by the upper crust and you "jist gotsta hav it". Bottom line, if developing a good relationship with your dealer doesn't work, then you are with the wrong dealer and are likely to be on the west coast.

(2) You guys are all talking about lot cars, which I said either ask them what they want to get out of it or let them make an offer. You guys took very honest guidance about how to get started with a dealership and turned it to crap. I guess you have the inverse midas touch.

(3) I have never paid over msrp, in fact, I have never paid msrp, but it was about loyalty and appreciation, rather than trying to screw somebody or getting screwed by somebody. In fact, I have gotten better deals than most of you will ever get even when the car is hot and brand new, rather than someone elses sloppy seconds.

Honestly, you guys are acting shamefully. Let me know when you can clean up your acts and talk about cars like grown adults. I am growing weary of all the BS around here. You guys probably need a vision so here it goes: "Less ownage, more carage". Seriously though, rather than personal attacks, how about debating the pros and cons of mods from different companies, one model over the next, waiting versus buying, how to get a car with no dealer mark up (for the west coasters again), how to increase the quality of our dealer experiences rather than convince them that we are all a bunch of greedy SOBs so they should be too. You get what you give. I am not saying there aren't dealerships out there who deserve to be screwed to the ground, but hey, they started it with 25k dealer markups and BS like that. But to make blanket statements that you should horse trade and haggle over a luxury automobile just isn't a luxury experience. I can see finding out what each dealership wants to offer, but again pining for some forum knowledge of how to get an extra key chain is just petty.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Well, you guys sure have been busy in my absence. Although, once again you guys all got it wrong.

Thanks for calling me a dumbass though, Vimzin, I appreciate how mature it was and how it made you look like the dumbass.

Cyncarvin32, I appreciate your willingness to politely respond, but I am still left feeling you don't really understand my writing or you don't read it because you still have your finger on the hot button. All-in-all though, that was about 3000% better. Here's what you missed: I never said that you should pay MSRP for a lot car. Read my post again, and I am sure you will be able to get it the second time. Also, I think you helped lead people astray and helped start the bandwagon, but of course they did the majority of the leg work.

In fact, who in their right mind would pay MSRP for a car that has been sitting in a showroom, having people scratch up the leather, it's painted the wrong color, or has some crucial option is missing? I guess it is for those who "jist gotsta hav it". I am not a dealer, never intended to be a dealer, never will be a dealer. I don't want BJ's from my dealer, I like him and all.... I just don't think of him that way(thanks Vomit).

Top three reasons you guys are way off base:

(1) The word service is never mentioned in my post. I said that you establish relationships first and based on that you don't have to negotiate because nobody BS's each other. There is a reason, gentleman, that I get my cars custom ordered and delivered whenever I want them without having to wait two years and without running around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for a lot car that isn't optioned correctly because some hot celebrity said it would get you banged or accepted by the upper crust and you "jist gotsta hav it". Bottom line, if developing a good relationship with your dealer doesn't work, then you are with the wrong dealer and are likely to be on the west coast.

(2) You guys are all talking about lot cars, which I said either ask them what they want to get out of it or let them make an offer. You guys took very honest guidance about how to get started with a dealership and turned it to crap. I guess you have the inverse midas touch.

(3) I have never paid over msrp, in fact, I have never paid msrp, but it was about loyalty and appreciation, rather than trying to screw somebody or getting screwed by somebody. In fact, I have gotten better deals than most of you will ever get even when the car is hot and brand new, rather than someone elses sloppy seconds.

Honestly, you guys are acting shamefully. Let me know when you can clean up your acts and talk about cars like grown adults. I am growing weary of all the BS around here. You guys probably need a vision so here it goes: "Less ownage, more carage". Seriously though, rather than personal attacks, how about debating the pros and cons of mods from different companies, one model over the next, waiting versus buying, how to get a car with no dealer mark up (for the west coasters again), how to increase the quality of our dealer experiences rather than convince them that we are all a bunch of greedy SOBs so they should be too. You get what you give. I am not saying there aren't dealerships out there who deserve to be screwed to the ground, but hey, they started it with 25k dealer markups and BS like that. But to make blanket statements that you should horse trade and haggle over a luxury automobile just isn't a luxury experience. I can see finding out what each dealership wants to offer, but again pining for some forum knowledge of how to get an extra key chain is just petty.

Rguy--

I say this with complete respect so don’t fly off and flip out quite yet.

I must say Rguy that your post was fairly arrogant in nature and you make your self-sound like a priest while we are all just fools trying to barter and swindle to save a buck. The idea of just paying what they want to be polite and create respect is out of my comprehension. When you buy a car you buy it from the guy in the show room. Once you own the car you go to the service drive. The salesman has virtually no clout in the service drive so giving the sales department a big commission seems totally pointless in my mind. The idea that you purchased the car from that specific dealership and that they made a profit is enough for them to respect the customer. If they do not respect you after you buy a car from them, I say that the dealership in question needs to be removed from the repeat business list. The dealership needs to earn your respect -- The customer should never have to earn the dealerships respect.

I personally think that you might be so frustrated with the people around here for two very specific reasons. First you often post in the "I know more than you and you better understand that mentality." In other threads where you and I have "butt heads" you seem to not enjoy entertaining any other opinions and you often come across as closed minded and or rude. When that happens I dont see a reason to post the most polite post possible. I am being completely calm here to simply try and put everything down clearly.

In this thread you opened up with what I felt was very condescending post telling people that they should not bargain on price when shopping for a vehicle (an idea not shared by a singe other person here but you). Are you an ideal person who has any reason to tell people what they do is wrong? After you see that point you could understand why people come back with comments like those made by Vomit (might I say he is the funniest poster in the whole mbworld.org community). Read the posts above and see that they were aggressive because you started that tone all by your self.

But in reality most those "slams" were just joking ways of saying I don’t agree. This brings me to my second point... we are all just having fun and don’t mean to insult people.

Our opinions will not always meet eye to eye.

If the dealership ever tries to charge you more to order a car... walk out! That is a crazy idea. Either way they get the right to sell you a car and if they dont want to sell that car... by all means they should find some other sucker to sell it to. The dealership should always value our business regardless of which car we are looking at buying.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 03-11-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 PM

C32
That's a pretty odd way to establish a relationship in my opinion. If I were to sell you a car wouldn't I want the highest price offered for it? If I were to buy a car from you, wouldn't it make sense for me to pay less than more? Someone else has already mentioned this, but your sales advisor doesn't work in the service department. Haggling for the price of a car, whether it's on the lot or ordered, is a normal process unless you are shopping to the top end of the bracket.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:21 PM

CynCarvin32,

Thanks for the post. I see where you are coming from now. I meant in no way to come off as being rude, condescending, arrogant, preachy, etc..... If it did, then I am sorry. I feel like the guy came here looking for opinions; I feel like I gave mine. I am guessing that you are talking about the third paragraph of my original post. I can see that that is one way to read it, but I still feel the same way. I still feel that those who complain about paying over msrp, shouldn't endorse getting as far under msrp as possible. It seems hypocritical. That is where I am coming from, and that is where I will stay, but I do invite other opinions.

My problem isn't that you disagree. I welcome your disagreement. My problem is others attaching me to the viewpoint and getting personal, saying things, some tounge-in-cheek, some carelessly intentional, and not presenting their own view point. For example, Ultraseven, you don't have to convince me of anything, instead be confident in your viewpoint, present your viewpoint, and know that you are comfortable with it. You can do things your way, and that is okay, but I know that my way works consistently. If I come upon a better way, which I haven't so far and despite what it may seem, I am always open to suggestion. Hence my reply. Currently though, I don't need another way, because I already get the best deal, for the best car, whenever I want it.

Lastly, about the service drive thing. I just don't see how it keeps on coming up. I think maybe you attach your sales experience to your service experience and put them under the same umbrella. Personally, I consider them different businesses that unfortunately share the same ventilation system. Honestly, if you talk to the sales and service forces separately, more often than not they don't like each other too well. Sometimes it is healthy rivalry, and sometimes people are downright pissed. They still find a way to work together though.

When something goes wrong with my car, I go straight to my salesman and the general manager of the dealership. I don't go to the service manager because he wouldn't know customer service if it bit him in the butt. Because of my history of not jerking the dealership around, haggling for every last penny, and yes, not requesting too many BJ's. They fix stuff when stuff goes wrong, others they would just turn away, because they know I am coming back and that I am reasonable. My business is valuable to them because I don't make a big fuss every time I come around their way. The good dealerships value relationships over profit. They know that giving a good deal and great customer service means that the person won't look elsewhere. It is the same as medical malpractice in that happy(edit) people stick with their docs and don't sue. When somebody has a great experience, they don't go looking to have a different one in my opinion. Anyway, this is getting long and complicated, but I hope I have elucidated my position in a way that doesn't ruffle too many feathers.

Last edited by rguy; 03-11-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL

in a perfect world, this would work. however, socal arab stealerships will take you for everything you are worth if they sense that you will pay for their friendship.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
cyn + rguy = circle jerk
Old 03-11-2005, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
cyn + rguy = circle jerk
dont you have work to do?

where do you get these phrases from? oh wait....
Old 03-11-2005, 04:05 PM

schwarzwagen,

Duly noted, except for the arab part, which I have no knowledge of. Remember though, I really don't endorse paying over msrp for any car, or paying msrp for a lot car, so there is only so much room for the socal stealerships to operate within under my philosophy if you will. Nevertheless, you are most likely right that they are so engrained in their ways that they only attract those who will pay over msrp and probably get very little repeat business. Isn't it tough not living in a perfect world? You think a good BJ would be taken in lieu of pay for their friendship? Would it at least get me a donut and a test drive?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM

schwarzwagen=self-jerk.

There....now we're even. Ha.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
The avg dealership here in so-cal has many C55's in stock (some up to 5) and they will sell you one for 1k over cost and maybe even 500 over cost. The car is not selling well (not that it is not a great car... just not as popular in this city as say a 55k powered car).

As for E55's there are I think 2 on e-bay for 4k off sticker last I checked. If you could get the Granite Grey E55 I saw for 4k off sticker on e-bay you would be getting a great deal. The E55 is in higher demand but I think you can still find a discounted car in a day or so.

As for paying sticker because it makes for better service I will respectfully disagree. If the car is being offered for less who in their right mind would offer more? I was offered 2k off a C55 in the first 5 minutes of looking at one in Los Angeles. Get the best deal you can and save some money that can go towards your first years depreciation!

I agree - shop around and get the best deal...unless your last name is Gates or Hughes or Walton....you get the idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much below MSRP will the dealer go on a new C55 or E55