C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Powerchip for my C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
Powerchip for my C55

k ok, sooo i have returned from LA. well sadly on the freeway (405) i didn't get out of 2nd gear, for nearly 2 hours. I have kinda opened it up on the streets of Costa Mesa, and im feeling a difference. 1st, and 2nd are pulling hard. To describe it, it's almost like at every 1000x RPM i can feel an incremental increast of power. Wheel spin in 1st is much longer in duration, because once i lose traction ESP will kick in, and then it still has enough power to get it to lose again while going faster. So far that is my guage of how it's working. As for the pulley, it was something like 400 with labor at EvoSport and the chip was 1600 with tax. This will give you pretty much as much as the Renntech setup for less. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Also i will let you all know how it is in the next couple of weeks, especially while driving hard
Old 03-25-2005, 01:55 AM

07 CLS550 & 07 Accord
congrat

Hi, congrat... where did you install Powerchip?? I remember u said some place in Santa monica...

What's your next mod?? hehe
take care!!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:09 AM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
It was done at there office 3rd and wilshire. It took and hour, and one of the receptionsits is pretty hot, also it's right on the pronanade, some good eats and cools things to buy. Next mod, man i have no clue, i think im good for now. I do want to get GPS
Old 03-27-2005, 11:51 PM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
ok, well after a weekend of driving in all situations, hard, soft, cornering, etc. THe car feels (in my opinion) much stronger in the higher RPM's. However what i don't like, is the car is for example 2nd, and is accellerating from 2000-6000 RPM, it seems to me like it's a little shakey not a smooth increase of power. This did not appeal to me, since most of the time, im not being super aggressive hence i feel like this isn't the chip for me. If you guys have any questions about it, please ask... I might be one in a few who is actually going to return their chip.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by more151please
ok, well after a weekend of driving in all situations, hard, soft, cornering, etc. THe car feels (in my opinion) much stronger in the higher RPM's. However what i don't like, is the car is for example 2nd, and is accellerating from 2000-6000 RPM, it seems to me like it's a little shakey not a smooth increase of power. This did not appeal to me, since most of the time, im not being super aggressive hence i feel like this isn't the chip for me. If you guys have any questions about it, please ask... I might be one in a few who is actually going to return their chip.
What do you mean by shakey?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
I think Powerchip is noted for getting the most HP increase from their ECU upgrade. With that comes some sacrifice in smoothness in the mid-range due to the raw power gain achieved. This is why I ultimately went to a KLEEMANN ECU Upgrade as recommended by Franco and Mike at Salvatore Motorsports . It provided a very smooth power curve and what I would say is a more suitable for daily driving. The POWERCHIP is a great product if you are looking for a max power increase but the KLEEMANN will offer the best of both worlds. I am very happy with my upgrade and highly recommend it. I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 03-28-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Interesting! now I'm not to sure which way to go!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:03 PM

05 Black C55
This is my first post, so Hello everyone! 05 Diamond Black C55.

I had to comment on this thread, since I too have had the Gold 93 Powerchip for my C55 and had problems they couldn't fix. When they installed the Powerchip, it felt like the throttle was being cut on and off in short intervals, when I accelerated between 2k and 4k RPM. Almost like I was taking my foot of the gas for a split second a few times in a row. It was a very noticeable jumpy acceleration. I only noticed it doing this if I accelerated moderately hard. Then when I approached 4,000 RPM, it felt like the power band kicked in. It received an immediate power boost. From the research I did and people I talked to, it seems that the ECU was retarding the throttle response and power to the engine, to prevent possible damage. Possibly, the throttle response was set too fast. Either that, or there were issues with the Powerchip itself causing this unsmooth acceleration. I sent the ECU back to them, because they said they could adjust a few settings, namely the throttle response and the problem would go away. When I got the ECU back and installed, it was still having the same problems as before! I called them up again and they basically said they didn't know what to do next and that I could get a full refund. I found it a little surprising that they didn't offer any other solutions to the problem. I sent the ECU back again to reflash it back to stock settings and they refunded my money. Put it back in and no problems whatsoever since.

I can say from first hand experience, there is an issue with the Powerchip for the 05 C55 and they don't know how to fix it. I'm surprised they keep selling them for it like this. Bottom line: The Powerchip will cause very annoying jumpy acceleration and then a sudden boost of power. I'd definitely stay away from them until they do the necessary R&D to sell such a product to the public. So now, if I was going to mod the ECU, I'd go with Renntech, who specializes in MB.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:30 PM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
AMG ADDICT, it's funny cause you said pretty much everything i was trying to say, it was refreshing to see that someone else was having the same issues, and it wasn't just me being overly ****. I am getting my reflashed on wed, with a full refund. I am looking toward a diff chip provider now.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
AMG ADDICT, it's funny cause you said pretty much everything i was trying to say, it was refreshing to see that someone else was having the same issues, and it wasn't just me being overly ****. I am getting my reflashed on wed, with a full refund. I am looking toward a diff chip provider now.

get renntech this time....
Old 03-29-2005, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amg addict
This is my first post, so Hello everyone! 05 Diamond Black C55.

I had to comment on this thread, since I too have had the Gold 93 Powerchip for my C55 and had problems they couldn't fix. When they installed the Powerchip, it felt like the throttle was being cut on and off in short intervals, when I accelerated between 2k and 4k RPM. Almost like I was taking my foot of the gas for a split second a few times in a row. It was a very noticeable jumpy acceleration. I only noticed it doing this if I accelerated moderately hard. Then when I approached 4,000 RPM, it felt like the power band kicked in. It received an immediate power boost. From the research I did and people I talked to, it seems that the ECU was retarding the throttle response and power to the engine, to prevent possible damage. Possibly, the throttle response was set too fast. Either that, or there were issues with the Powerchip itself causing this unsmooth acceleration. I sent the ECU back to them, because they said they could adjust a few settings, namely the throttle response and the problem would go away. When I got the ECU back and installed, it was still having the same problems as before! I called them up again and they basically said they didn't know what to do next and that I could get a full refund. I found it a little surprising that they didn't offer any other solutions to the problem. I sent the ECU back again to reflash it back to stock settings and they refunded my money. Put it back in and no problems whatsoever since.

I can say from first hand experience, there is an issue with the Powerchip for the 05 C55 and they don't know how to fix it. I'm surprised they keep selling them for it like this. Bottom line: The Powerchip will cause very annoying jumpy acceleration and then a sudden boost of power. I'd definitely stay away from them until they do the necessary R&D to sell such a product to the public. So now, if I was going to mod the ECU, I'd go with Renntech, who specializes in MB.
Perhaps it's just a problem when they mod the C55's Ecu.The Ecu in the early W210 E55's are different.I've read nothing but great things on the M5 forums about the powerchip.And E55cent has a powerchip in his 99 E55 and he says he loves it.He dynoed at 310whp .https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/96923-got-my-powerchip-today.html Perhaps they need to do more R&D on the C55 ECU's.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-29-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:50 PM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
apparently they have another program. Powerchip calld me today and instead of retuning it, we are going to try the new one, the guy says it should fix all my concerns. So til tomorrow and we will see how it does.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:03 PM

05 Black C55
apparently they have another program. Powerchip calld me today and instead of retuning it, we are going to try the new one, the guy says it should fix all my concerns. So til tomorrow and we will see how it does.
That's exactly what they told me, so I installed it and it didn't work. The new version changes the throttle response right? Maybe they've came out with something new now. But this was only a month and a half ago.

Is there anyway you could let them take a ride with you, so they will know exactly what's going on? Maybe they could diagnose the problem easier that way, if possible...

Last edited by amg addict; 03-29-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yea I spoke to them yesterday afternoon or evening and emailed them this thread. I wanted to know "What Gives"! b4 I purchase it for my W202 5.5L.I know I have a totally different ECU though.

It's good that they called you. You're welcome! LOL! I'm sure they'll be keeping an eye on this and making sure they do the right thing I hope.I'm hoping they'll do there best.Let us know!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-29-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:15 PM

05 Black C55
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Yea I spoke to them yesterday afternoon or evening and emailed them this thread. I wanted to know "What Gives"! b4 I purchase it for my W202 5.5L.I know I have a totally different ECU though.

It's good that they called you. You're welcome! LOL! I'm sure they'll be keeping an eye on this and making sure they do the right thing I hope.I'm hoping they'll do there best.Let us know!
Good deal. I hope they can get this fixed for the C55. Maybe now they will believe the fact that there is a problem with their chip and that they need to fix it ASAP.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
What's up Carl!
I had a great experience with Powerchip, but the difference is my car was custom tuned with a lap top while the car was driving. The program was written under "real world" conditions. It was also fine tuned on the Dyno Jet. My air/fuel was also smoothed out and leaned, which gave me more power and better MPG.
Sorry about your guys C55 problems, but I think it might because the updated 05 ECU's MB is using.
By the way what do you guys think about headers on our N/A 55's?
Mario
Old 04-01-2005, 09:20 AM

05 Black C55
more151please, any word on if the new program fixed anything?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:58 PM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
well i was going to wait til the end of the weekend, but here goes, everything seems to be worked out, everything is smooth, feels like came from factory. However now i can't figure out with i lost any power for this sacrifice of comfort. To me i feel like it did, not much, but some nonetheless. I will try to elaborate more by weeks end.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well i was going to wait til the end of the weekend, but here goes, everything seems to be worked out, everything is smooth, feels like came from factory. However now i can't figure out with i lost any power for this sacrifice of comfort. To me i feel like it did, not much, but some nonetheless. I will try to elaborate more by weeks end.
Yes ,please elaborate because what you're saying sounds a little confusing to me. I'm interested in getting a complete opinion about what you find.