C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Aftermarket Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Brake Kits

Hi just got my C55 3 months ago.

I was wondering if any of you guys had changed their brakes to aftermarket ones?

Although I am not thinking of getting the Big Brake Kits just the 2 piece rotor and pads.

I use the car for track every once in a while, so I was looking for something that can handle alot more heat but still be good on cold temperatures.

I was looking at Stop Tech and KVR, but have to get in touch of them first to check if they even make it for the car.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:19 PM

Obsidian E55
try the eight pots and rotors from the SL55, harris @ www.motorwerks.com can sort you out
Old 05-28-2005, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by andy_cyp
try the eight pots and rotors from the SL55, harris @ www.motorwerks.com can sort you out

I use a C32 for heavy track use and the stock brakes could never dream of being strong enough. The 4-wheel stoptech kit is simply great. The car has never had fade beyond that which is normal for when pads become very worn and cannot dissipate the heat generated by 45 minutes of lapping. I do not baby the brakes and have changed 4 silver calipers totally bronze. Stoptech says the color change is normal and cannot be prevented. When brakes get that hot the paint cannot keep its color. If you plan to drive in this manner I would get black calipers with out the stoptech logo because black tends to be the least prone to discoloration. I think these brakes are the best upgrade if you plan to track the car. No questions asked.

Brembo makes a great kit but its a good chunk more money and offers little to no difference in performance.

I would never use the factory kit from an SL being that those brakes are extremely heavy. That option may be cheap but there is no reason to use them. Plus the piston sizes on that kit are not optimized to work with the factory W203 brake booster and master cyl. That kit may look great but I can say that they do not work all that well when stressed. Both my E55 and SL55 suffer from brake fade when driving aggressively on the streets.

Nothing beats a real racing brake kit with a nice set of Pagid Black pads.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
CynCarvin32 speaks the cold hard truth. Just because you upgrade to 'bigger' brakes, doesn't mean your overall stopping ability is improved. Sometimes, it's even worse. That's why so much research goes into tuning cars for races, and not just the biggest baddest most powerful car wins.

I suggest reading this whitepaper on brakes.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...erformance.htm

Then ask again what kinda brake kit you want
Old 05-29-2005, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
stoptechs are pretty good. brembos are good too. anyone know if the ap racing calipers have dust boots? hate to c u rebuilding them often. any of these three will do the job. those 8 piston calipers may look awesome..but getting 4 pot ones will do just fine..afterall, bmw only put two piston calipers on it's new e60 m5..
Old 05-29-2005, 03:09 AM

2005 C55 AMG (Capri Blue)
Pads and Fluid First!!! I can't tell you how many of my cohorts in the NSX world waste their money on "big brake kits" (BBK). I switched to floating rotors, Hawk HPS pads, SS lines and Motul 600 degree fluid, and that's all it took. My NSX stops like a madman and just plain does not fade, yet I still run stock rotor size and the stock two piston calipers. My C55 stops very well, but I know from the initial bite of the pads that they will fade. Racing pads (or even aggressive street pads) do not have that kind of initial bite. There isn't a damn thing wrong with the C55 calipers and the rotors can probably take tons of heat. It's your pads and fluid that limit your ability to stop. Unless you're running slicks on the track, you'll be able to outbreak your street tires for a long time with pads and fluid. You'll probably get tired at a track event before your brakes do.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
Originally Posted by AgentQ
...There isn't a damn thing wrong with the C55 calipers and the rotors can probably take tons of heat. It's your pads and fluid that limit your ability to stop...
some of it is true..but u should c what happened to jon's c32's rotors when he tracked them. they developed cracks at the holes.. esp on the passenger side. the calipers btw, did discolor..looked kinda nice, golden colored.

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2005, 04:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
umm, why put SL55 brakes on this car if your looking for better braking? thats just plain stupid. Even the guys with an SL55 would swap out the stocks for something else with better performance if they were serious about tracking their car. they do look nice tho.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by f4tb0y
Hi just got my C55 3 months ago.

I was wondering if any of you guys had changed their brakes to aftermarket ones?

Although I am not thinking of getting the Big Brake Kits just the 2 piece rotor and pads.

I use the car for track every once in a while, so I was looking for something that can handle alot more heat but still be good on cold temperatures.

I was looking at Stop Tech and KVR, but have to get in touch of them first to check if they even make it for the car.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I think we are missing a point, the guy is not looking to do a BBK, he is looking to upgrade to a two piece rotor.

Last edited by 1Lop2K5C; 05-29-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:41 AM

2005 C55 AMG (Capri Blue)
You're right, he's doing the right first step already.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:58 PM

Thanks

Yea mine turned gold too before.

Thanks for all your replies.

Does anyone know if stoptech makes just the 2 piece rotors and pads for C55s?

Coz i might need it for another track event next month.

Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
stoptech doesn't make a 2 piece rotor for ur stock caliper. you have to use it with with caliper
Old 05-31-2005, 03:54 AM

C32 AMG, CLK 320
I can have some 2 piece rotors made if you would like.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:35 AM

C32
Movit brakes has a a couple kits for the C32. If you search, there is a guy here that has the larger set on his car. Movit uses really good parts. Here are a couple links on them:

Good Writeup from a BMW guy----->http://www.bmw-m.net/Reviews/movit.htm
Making of a Movit kit--------->http://www.ultimategarage.com/movitkit.htm
Why Movit?----->http://www.ultimategarage.com/bigbrake2.html
Movit home page---> http://www.movit-scandinavia.com/en/...=Mercedes+Benz