C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 Amg Lsd?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 Amg Lsd?

I was very keen on getting a C55 AMG sedan. My dealer handed me the keys and told me to come back before they closed, which was in 2 hours :v
It was really an awesome car, did things I would never imagine. The toss up was going to be between the C55 and an M3. While I think both cars are awesome, I would have purchased the C55 IF it had a limited slip. What the hell was MB thinking?!? How could they not put an LSD in there? An LSD is a $500 option on a car like an IS300 and stock on the M3. Someone was saying something about ordering an OEM AMG LSD? Will this affect warranty? Also, how to completely turn off the traction control on the C55?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Follow the thread to near the end for how to turn off the ESP on a C32 anyways...probably the same, but I'm not going to gaurantee it.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...&posts=4&fid=5
Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
varun, the "bizarre dyno mode behavior" that was experienced by that driver is common. My C32's dyno mode is useless - same thing that happened to Bif Powell happens to me, every time. Makes me quite angry, not being able to decide for myself whether I want a big brother around.

MB ESP
Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 PM

05 c55
this has showed up on several threads. i found this one from 05C55, Senior Member. I've done it a couple times and haven't had the wierd behavior that others have, but like i said, I've only turned dyno mode on a couple of times.

Enjoy

1) Turn on the car to at least position 1 (one click clockwise)

(2) Change your instrument pod display until it shows the digital odometer

(3) Turn the car off

(4) Turn the car on to position 1 (one click clockwise)

(5) While the SRS light is on, press the trip odometer reset button three times (you must finish pressing the button three times before the srs light turns off and the odometer reset button is a black stalk on the left side of the instrument pod sticking out perpendicularly)

(6) If everything went well, then a voltage display should come up.

(7) Press the "up arrow" on the left side of the steering wheel twice.

(8) A menu will come up that shows esp dyno mode.

(9) To turn off the dyno mode, repeat the whole process if need be and select w/t 15 off.

(10) I haven't tried to turn it off yet, but I suspect it will take 15 minutes for the car to reset modes. w/t 15 off = wait time 15 minutes off (i am just guessing here)
Old 11-17-2005, 07:49 PM

what about the LSD. Dont you guys miss that on the C55. Something AMG cannot afford to have left out. Especially with that amount of torque on some skinny tires (225 in the rear?), the inner wheel is going to spin like crazy in some hard corners with the ESP off huh?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 PM

C55 SILVER / ASH
Originally Posted by varun
what about the LSD. Dont you guys miss that on the C55. Something AMG cannot afford to have left out. Especially with that amount of torque on some skinny tires (225 in the rear?), the inner wheel is going to spin like crazy in some hard corners with the ESP off huh?
Don't wory about it and enjoy your BMW. I am sure they will come out with 225 tires that can handle the torque soon.

Of course everyone would like an LSD on their C55/C32.

To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware that we did not have one until you mentoned it.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by varun
stock rear tires are 245 but if u upgrade to 19s, then u got 265 in rear. 225 are tire sizes for front, not rear.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I think many people exagerate the benefits of a limited slip differential (LSD) for Mercedes AMG RWD cars that are driven primarily on the streets rather than a track. I've posted this before.

A LSD provides 2 major advantages, compared to a simple open differential.

1) If one of the drive wheels has zero or limited traction, the LSD prevents all of the engine's torque from going to that spinning wheel so that the other wheel with traction can still accelerate the car from a stop. This is obviously advantageous in snow or gravel, when one drive wheel may have limited traction. For a performance car, a LSD optimizes the launch and can decrease acceleration times as it ensures both wheels will get power all the time, even if one of the drive wheels has less traction than the other.

2) When accelerating out of a curve, the LSD will ensure that both drive wheels have optimal torque delivered to the ground to maximize acceleration out of a turn. By preventing the inside drive wheel (the one with the least traction because of weight transfer) from slipping excessively, the LSD ensures that the outer drive wheel is getting adequate power.

To compensate for a lack of a true LSD, Mercedes relies on the ASR (electronic traction control system) and ESP in the C55. By braking any drive wheel which is slipping, it simulates a true LSD by making the open differential send more power to the drive wheel with more traction. It's a "reactive" system, meaning that the wheel has to slip before the car will brake that wheel, but it works pretty well in almost any situation on normal roads.

From a performance point of view, the C55 is already slightly faster than the M3 and S4 in a straight line. 0-60mph comes in about 4.7-5.0 seconds. By adding a true LSD, you may be able knock off a few more 10ths of a second?

Even in stock form, the C55's skidpad, slalom numbers, and lap times are very comparable to the M3. Yes, the M3 always FEELS better thant the C55 when at the handling limits, but it is not be that much faster objectively.

To be honest, not many people will be able to exploit a benefit from a true LSD, compared to Mercedes' standard electronic traction control system. Yes, maybe you can shave a few tenths of a second from your acceleration times, and maybe you can accelerate a little bit faster out of a curve on a track. For everyday normal AND spirited driving on a track for the average driver, none of you will get any benefit from a mechanical LSD.