Is it worth the money? Kleeman Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Is it worth the money? Kleeman Upgrades

I am trying to get more power into my C32 so i called Kleeman here in long island (RPM Racing) and they quoted me for some ok prices. For stage 1, they quoted me $3,395. Which includes ECU, Pulley or bigger crankshaft and filters. Should bring me up to 395 HP. Stage II was all that and some Kleeman Headers and the price is $6,795, and it just brings me up to 411 HP. I don't know if it would be worth to get the Headers for all that money when it is going to increase my HP by 16 ponnies. That is a lot of money. Please some one tell me if these headers sound good, it must be some other benefits to just adding the headers for 16 ponnies. Does any one know of some other tunners that will provide more HP for the money?

I see everyone has the SL55 Splitters or filters. Can someone post pics of how this would look? Are there any HP gains? Please let me know and where i could buy these. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
I spent a nice chunk of change on all my Kleemann upgrades and can honestly say that I have absolutely no regrets. The power is incredible and its reliable to boot. I haven't had a single problem. I will be sending my next MB to Kleeemann as well. Well worth the money.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32R
Originally Posted by jody420
I don't know if it would be worth to get the Headers for all that money when it is going to increase my HP by 16 ponnies. That is a lot of money. Please some one tell me if these headers sound good, it must be some other benefits to just adding the headers for 16 ponnies.

I see everyone has the SL55 Splitters or filters. Can someone post pics of how this would look? Are there any HP gains? Please let me know and where i could buy these. Thanks for any input.
well that is hard to judge. You need to look at your financial situation and ask yourself if its worth it. I was about to drop the gun on headers (thinking of buying EVOsports) but I have already spent close to $7k on the car this year already (and I just bought it about 6 mos ago). To me that is a chunk of change that I probably shouldnt have spent, but I have (as many of us do) an addiction to spending money on upgrades to cars (I just had to get into the 12's!! ), but I just had to tell myself NO! But then look at Dragon (previous post) and he probably spent 10x what I did this past year, and to him its no big deal..... So for us to answer if its worth it to you is hard to say. If I had a few more thousands sitting in my bank account I would do the headers without a doubt, but there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough.... Anyways, the 16 ponies for $1500~ isnt that bad, its expensive to get power out of this car, so if you are looking at the hp/per dollar its a good deal......

Also do get the green filters, they are worth the ~$100 dollars and will give you a few extra ponies, and they make a bigger difference once you do start adding mods to the car.... I hope this helps in your decision...
Old 01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Exactly what he said. If your main interest is just around the automotives, then spending $3,400 for headers would be well worth it. But for other people, the money would be better spent for a trip to Europe for example. So again it depends on your financial situation. Oh by the way, installing pulley + ecu + headers doesn’t necessarily give you 411 hp.. I happen to know someone who pulls 458 hp at crank with the same setup.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
really, 458 HP that is amazing, those were the numbers i was looking for with the kleeman set up! Please ellaborate on this more. According to the Rep, he said that the most there is for the C32 is just around 411 HP. I agree with every comment said and i thank you guys for the input. I will have to go with the Headers then. i am a terrible car fanatic and will do anyhting to crank up my beauty to the most Horse power i can. Does any body know how they sound?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
i have also considered the kleemann upgrades and think if you want the most from your car they are well worth the money

for some reason the stage II upgrade over here is different

stage 1 = ecu + pulley stage II = as I + cam giving 425 hp total
Old 01-18-2006, 05:02 PM

a Black
check out... (as I posted in your dup post)

evosport...http://www.evosport.com/product/pro...EVO.PER.M03.S02

evolution 2 Power Package
- Includes evolution 1 Power Package
- Ceramic Coated Performance Headers
- Denso Iridium Plugs (set of 12)
- evosport 8mm plug wires
- SL55 intake splitter and hose
- Powerchip/evosport custom-tuned evolution 2 software

Power Gains (CA 91 Octane):
- +3 lbs Boost (0.2 bar)
-Improved air flow
- 435 HP (75-85 RWHP)
- 420 FT-LB (70-80 RWTQ)
Price: $5,490.00
Old 01-18-2006, 05:34 PM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by timberman
stage 1 = ecu + pulley stage II = as I + cam giving 425 hp total
stage II includes stage I and adds the cam it sounds like....
Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
well...

if you have the $4k (remember installation cost) then do it. The performance is worth the money.

I only have the pulley kit and I think it really makes a difference. Chip is next.

I was lucky to buy a used pulley kit and so my wallet was not really hit that hard.

-$1200 for Bi xenons ($40 to install by a body shop friend)
-$1000 for CLK55 wheels and OEM tires (balanced and ready to mount) (shipping was $150)
-$960 for used EvoSport ODPS
-$300 to install the pulleys
-$120 for green filters
-$30 to remove resonator and install a straight pipe
-$520 to install Renntech Springs

so far I have spent $4130 dollars on this car. More than any other car i have every leased or owned. I do have the chip pending to buy which will be another $1k.

that is where I draw the line, from that point I will upgrade to the E55 and start the process all over. Going from 400 to 425 is not really worth it for the money... unless you really plan to keep the car for a long time. For me I usually keep the car for 1 to 2 years.

I have been patient with my mods and it has really save me some money. I don't have the budget as other members on this board and I had to do it over a span of 8 months. I bought this car April 2005.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:44 PM

a Black
Originally Posted by TopGun32
if you have the $4k (remember installation cost) then do it. The performance is worth the money.

Gee, I would hope the Evo # would include install? Does it not? If not, does anyone know how much?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

installation is about 5 hours according to them at $95, it might be more if you go with the Stage 2.

I only asked about the Stage 1.

None of the prices include installation.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
i personally have the EVOsport stage II. I love it!! power is great and reliable. the price is less and you get more for it also.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
well i am debating between Evosport and Kleeman. From what i hear Kleeman products are very reliable as mentioned by dragonAMG and other members have told me that Evosport is also a great tunner, So who do I go with? I would say price really does not matter at this point, I am just looking for the most HP i could get. It seems Evo provides more HP for less money than kleeman, unless any other person could say otherwise. Can Anyone make a point on this?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you can find a tuner in NY that can install Kleeman parts, more power to you.

If you have the money than go RennTech/Brabus and forget about Kleeman.

Don't get me wrong, but RennTech is a bit better than Kleeman.

If I had the money to do it right, I would stick to RennTech for everything and forget about EvoSport. However Evosport is a local shop and I could very easily take my car there without hassles.

Either way, Kleeman or Renntech if you have the money and EvoSport if you need more bang for the buck.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:05 AM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
evosport, renntech, or kleemann are all great for pulley/ecu combo. i think for performance / cost ratio, regardless of the pulley/ecu kit you get, i would go with the evosport headers. they are ceramic coated and there are a few people's stage II's (evosport) hitting around 450hp. i think the performance difference between the kleemann headers and evosport headers is likely negligible, and because the evosport is cheaper (and ceramic coated) i would opt for evosport headers. kleemann pulley/ecu has had great success on lots of supercharged amg's.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Vadim-SoCal

jody420: Do a search under "R&D" field. You will find out how evosport pulley kit came to be, including dyno graphs.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:01 AM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
Anyone have the kleemann header on their C55?

it sounds pretty good...25 Hp for 3600$
Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
I think you guys have made up my mind. But i forgot to do one more research...renntech i completely forgot about them. I will check them out, but so far this is what I am going with:

ECU- Kleeman
Pulley- Kleeman
Filters: Evosport
Headers (ceramic Coated): Evosport
and lets not forget suspensions: Bilstein PSS9's

Let me know if I might be forgetting something,
I think that puts me in the neighborhood of 10K.

Let me know if you guys think otherwise. I just love talking about performance. All of this is going down at the end of february.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 AM

C32
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I have been patient with my mods and it has really save me some money. I don't have the budget as other members on this board and I had to do it over a span of 8 months. I bought this car April 2005.

I can second this sentiment. I got my C32 last month and I came to it from a highly modded (Stage IV) WRX. I got it to 365hp from the stock 227hp for under $2,000. Clearly, modding WRX's is a lot less expensive than the MB's.

Anyway...the point is if you are patient and not in a hurry, you can find better deals. There's always someone returning their car back to stock or selling mods that they never got the chance to install. Personally, I used 99% pre-owned parts when modding my car and not only did it save me some money, but it was just as good as new parts because I took my time to find just the right ones.

Of course, the modding community here in MB world is far smaller than that in the WRX world...that's why mods are so much more expensive in the first place...but the principle still applies, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to starting mods on my C32. I won't be going crazy since I have a warranty I don't want to void, but I'm sure I'll have fun nonetheless.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:48 AM

02 C32R
dont know about your area, but I decided to go with Renntech since a local MB dealer here is mod friendly to Renntech. I have had my car to the dealer already to get a new tranny module and air compressor, and they said absolutely nothing about all my renntech stuff. As a matter of fact, if you walk over to the "aftermarket" section of the dealer they have Renntech brochures and recommend you have DynoComp (a HIGHLY respectable tuner) order and install all the renntech stuff. The salesman that works at MB let me know about this....
Old 01-19-2006, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Dead Ringer: So how much HP are you pulling with your RennTech Set up?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:01 PM

C32
Dead Ringer: So how much HP are you pulling with your RennTech Set up?
Better yet...E/T and trap speed? hp #'s are a relatively bad measure of a car's performance
Old 01-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you guys have made up my mind. But i forgot to do one more research...renntech i completely forgot about them. I will check them out, but so far this is what I am going with:

ECU- Kleeman
Pulley- Kleeman
Filters: Evosport
Headers (ceramic Coated): Evosport
and lets not forget suspensions: Bilstein PSS9's

Let me know if I might be forgetting something,
I think that puts me in the neighborhood of 10K.

Let me know if you guys think otherwise. I just love talking about performance. All of this is going down at the end of february.
Don't forget the downpipes along with high flow cats and last but not least Cams!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:32 PM
ON PROBATION

The Bilstein PSS9's will make all the difference in the world on your C32 - HUGE difference. Car will handle like it should have out of the factory.

But check into the Carlsson Adjustable Coilovers too - they are the same thing as the Bilstein PSS9's (but came out 6 months? after the PSS9's) - as many folks in comparing the two like them even better than the Bilstein system.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Jam E55: where can i get some good Cams?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it worth the money? Kleeman Upgrades