Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Shocks/Suspension question - Brabus

Some questions for the experts here..

I was thinking about a shock upgrade. I have searched the forum but haven't been able to find much discussion about shocks. I already have Brabus springs so I was thinking about matching them up with Brabus shocks..

First, does anyone have Brabus shocks? Are they better than the amg shocks? Are the Brabus shocks adjustable? I see they are sold in a full suspension kit, but can they be bought seperately? Is the E203 100 100
the right kit for a C32 or isn't there a difference between c class models regarding shocks/springs?

I know that Bilsten makes shocks for the c32, and I believe they are adjustable. Anyone have these and what's the verdict? I have seen these listed between 700-800 bucks..

I believe that a few members sell Brabus.. If anyone is able to PM me a price for Brabus shocks that would be great..

Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Anyone with info on shocks?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
i don't have much info or experience with the shocks. however, i do not belive that they are adjustable. according to the brabus order guide i have i don't see the shocks sold separately as an option, but you should contact the sponsors to see if you can. i would assume that the brabus shocks work for all w203 sedans, including c32, because they do not list another c32-specific option. also, amg just upgraded the shocks, springs, and swaybars for the c32 over the regular c320, so shock and spring applications for brabus replacing stock amg components should be the same. if i'm not mistaken, they are made by Sachs, who is also the supplier for AMG's shocks.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:48 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by amgmark
Some questions for the experts here..

I was thinking about a shock upgrade. I have searched the forum but haven't been able to find much discussion about shocks. I already have Brabus springs so I was thinking about matching them up with Brabus shocks..

First, does anyone have Brabus shocks? Are they better than the amg shocks? Are the Brabus shocks adjustable? I see they are sold in a full suspension kit, but can they be bought seperately? Is the E203 100 100
the right kit for a C32 or isn't there a difference between c class models regarding shocks/springs?

I know that Bilsten makes shocks for the c32, and I believe they are adjustable. Anyone have these and what's the verdict? I have seen these listed between 700-800 bucks..

I believe that a few members sell Brabus.. If anyone is able to PM me a price for Brabus shocks that would be great..

Thanks!!
I would like to share my experience with brabus

I ordered a set of front and rear sway bars for the C32 from Brabus NA in newport CA. They sent me W203 sway bars about 2 months later. After I found out they did not fit, because the end holes had to be drilled from 10mm to 12mm to accomodate the bigger amg bolts. I then asked why they did not fit and they said they are not for the C32.
(um....then why the **** didnt you tell me this before i paid when i ordered them???)

they said that they did not have a C32-specific application
(thats not what they told me when i ordered. I asked them before i paid, to confirm, if they were indeed for the C32)

I cant speak for everybody else, but if I were to make a judgement based on my experience....I would have to say Brabus NA (Andrea most specifically) does not know wtf he is doing.

becareful

edit: this was only for sway bars....if you are thinking about ordering the full suspension, keep in mind that if they do NOT have a C32-specific application(which i suspect they dont), that the C32 is much heavier than the normal W203's and require different spring and shock rates.

get the Carlsson's RS or KW v2 or PSS-9 coilovers. the KW-V2 are probably the best bang for the buck. I would not recommend H&R coilovers as they are only height adjustable and i had 2 sets that went soft way too early. I would get the KW V2's or the PSS-9's and call it a day.

Last edited by IdriveFast; 01-20-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sell the springs and get KW V2's. I figure by the time you buy shocks and get them installed they'll cost just as much anyway.

Got mine in earlier this week. Should be installed tomorrow if i get my car back from MB of Escondido today.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Since this is kind of related--I am considering ordering some lowering springs for my C32 AMG however since the C32 already sits a bit lower than the standard C-class I am wondering if when I order the springs (H&R, Eibach, Vogtland etc) they must be specific to the C32 or if the standard ones listed by most manufacturers for the W203, 6cyl, c240, c320 work ok?? What exactly makes the 2002-2004 C32 ride height lower than the standard C-Class—is it the springs, rubber shim sizes, shocks?? I was told by one manufacture (Vogtland) that
the springs for the regular w203 6 cyl. Sedan will fit but you will not have any lowering (maybe 5 or 10mm) because the AMG version is already 25mm lower than the standard C-class and that the springs are not TUV-approved for AMG-models. Can anyone verify if this is the case with (Eibach, H&R) etc??
Old 01-20-2006, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Sell the springs and get KW V2's. I figure by the time you buy shocks and get them installed they'll cost just as much anyway.

Got mine in earlier this week. Should be installed tomorrow if i get my car back from MB of Escondido today.
Hi sdsilver.. I just went to MB of Escondido for the first time last week. I had a great experience with their service department compared to MB of SD. (MB of SD refused to do the repairs under warranty because they said my Brabus springs were at fault.. what a bunch of BS) They fixed all my bushings (sway bar), thrust arms, etc, in the front which dramatically improved my suspension performance.

Yeah, after pricing shocks it seem that it will be approx $1000 with install.. 700-800 for the shocks depending on brand.. I was quoted $2000 for an install of PSS9's so the 1000k just for shocks doesn't really seem worthwhile..

I was on the fence whether to do more suspension work or get new wheels. Since the suspension feels so much better after the repairs I decided to get the new wheels first. Picked up a set of almost new SLK55 18" take off wheels..

Once you get the KW's installed can you post a pic and give an update on your impressions? I would am interested..

One more quick question.. Who are you having install your suspension and where did you order from?

Thanks!!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgmark
Hi sdsilver.. I just went to MB of Escondido for the first time last week. I had a great experience with their service department compared to MB of SD. (MB of SD refused to do the repairs under warranty because they said my Brabus springs were at fault.. what a bunch of BS) They fixed all my bushings (sway bar), thrust arms, etc, in the front which dramatically improved my suspension performance.

Yeah, after pricing shocks it seem that it will be approx $1000 with install.. 700-800 for the shocks depending on brand.. I was quoted $2000 for an install of PSS9's so the 1000k just for shocks doesn't really seem worthwhile..

I was on the fence whether to do more suspension work or get new wheels. Since the suspension feels so much better after the repairs I decided to get the new wheels first. Picked up a set of almost new SLK55 18" take off wheels..

Once you get the KW's installed can you post a pic and give an update on your impressions? I would am interested..

One more quick question.. Who are you having install your suspension and where did you order from?

Thanks!!
MB of Esco has been good to me so far out of the 3 times I've been there. No complaints here yet. I'm glad they took care of you because I don't know who else we would go to if Escondido sucked too (heard Hoehn wasn't so great either). I still would like to find a mechanic who I can trust with the car versus having a random tech work on it. I had a BMW mechanic who always worked on my M3 but have yet to find one for the MB. Another reason I wanted to find a trusted MB tech is because I don't want some biased a-hole who thinks modifications are the mother of all problems (like MB of SD).

I'll definitely get pics posted up as other members are waiting to see how it turns out as well. I will do a quick write-up on my impressions after I get accustomed to the new suspension.

I ordered my suspension from Group5 Motorsport and strangely enough, my BMW mechanic (Shane from Harloff) is doing my install at Group5. It's okay though, I would trust him with any of my cars.

Please post some pics of your car with the new wheels.

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 01-20-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

amgmark,

Scratch the KW V2's. Do not get them unless you are planning to get HRE wheels or some custom offset wheel. AAAAAAAAAAH!! I am so frustrated....6 hours and still at SQUARE ONE (stock). We ran into major clearance issues with the springs almost hitting the tire even with my BBS LM's. Apparently KW's also have had these issues with M3's, other C classes (C240), and Audis in the past as well. Why would a company design a coilover that doesn't work with the stock wheel????

More later in the morning. I've had enough of car issues for one day and that includes a good experience with MB of SD after an initial bad one.....in the same day!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
amgmark,

Scratch the KW V2's. Do not get them unless you are planning to get HRE wheels or some custom offset wheel. AAAAAAAAAAH!! I am so frustrated....6 hours and still at SQUARE ONE (stock). We ran into major clearance issues with the springs almost hitting the tire even with my BBS LM's. Apparently KW's also have had these issues with M3's, other C classes (C240), and Audis in the past as well. Why would a company design a coilover that doesn't work with the stock wheel????

More later in the morning. I've had enough of car issues for one day and that includes a good experience with MB of SD after an initial bad one.....in the same day!
A lot of coilovers dont fit stock wheels. I beleive even the crappy H&R coilovers need spacers if u use stock wheels.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Neal. In that case, are there any differences in the C32 and C55 front suspension besides valving and spring rates?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Thanks Neal. In that case, are there any differences in the C32 and C55 front suspension besides valving and spring rates?
Well, they are different yeah, but they will work/fit on either car if thats what you want to know.