C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Negative Glycol test on my C32...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Negative Glycol test on my C32...

...I have the Valeo radiator, so I went in for the Glycol test, which was thankfully negative. So I'm going to replace the radiator.

Anyone done this themselves? Is it difficult? What brand radiator/where did you buy it?

Many thanks!

Bif
Old 02-18-2006, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
What does the glycol test do? Why are you replacing your radiator? Also, what is the Valeo radiator, and what is the significance of having a Valeo radiator versus another kind?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:41 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by Vomit
What does the glycol test do? Why are you replacing your radiator? Also, what is the Valeo radiator, and what is the significance of having a Valeo radiator versus another kind?
A very large percentage of 2002 C32 owners end up with glycol contamination of the transmission fluid due to a flaw in the valeo radiator. I figure mines going to give out at some point, my warranty is up in about 8k miles, so I'm going to spend the $300-$700 replacing it now rather than risk $6k replacing the tranny if (but probably 'when') it happens to me.

I'm also thinking about doing a new fmic at the same time. Anyone had the Vath kit

Here's the TSB - btw, glycol test was customer requested and $100.

A/T - Harsh Engagement/Buzzing Noises

Date: February 17, 2005

Order No.: P-B-27.55/50a

Supersedes: P-B-27.55/50 dated January 27, 2005

Group: 27
Revision:
Additional Applicable Models, Parts and Warranty Tables Updated

SUBJECT:
Model 203.040/061/064/065/081/084/261/264/281/284/740/747/764
Model 209.365/375/376/465/475
Model 211.065/070/076/083/265/283

Up to Production Date 09/2003

Harsh Engagement Possibly Followed by Droning/Buzzing Noises During Light Acceleration Between Engine Speed of 1200 - 2500 RPM

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of humming/buzzing noises or noticeable harsh engagement during gentle acceleration between engine speed of 1200 - 2500 rpm; this may be caused by incomplete adaptation of the torque converter, the transmission (EGS) ECU software or glycol contamination of the automatic transmission fluid. Follow the below repair procedures to resolve.
Note: The condition is not intermittent and can be reproduced at all times.

Note: The Glycol test must be performed only if:

a. the vehicle was produced before 09/2003,

b. the radiator is manufactured by "Valeo", refer to Figure 1 for identification.

c. old crimping method used to assemble the radiator end tanks resembles Figure 2.

Caution! It is mandatory to follow the process steps in sequence.

1. Clear all adaption values.

2. Verify if condition is still present

3. If condition is still present after clearing all EGS ECU adaption values, perform glycol test.

4. If condition is no longer present after clearing all EGS ECU adaption values, replace the EGS ECU with updated software with part number listed in the parts information table.

5. If condition reappears after EGS ECU software updates, perform glycol test.

Instructions for Glycol Test
Caution! Ensure that safety glasses and rubber gloves are worn when performing glycol test. This test should be performed in a clean and well ventilated area away from organic materials (rags, cardboard, oils and other chemicals). Refer to the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDs) for additional safety measures.

1. Fill 0.5 ml of ATF with the pipette in the small glass container (Figure 4, 1).

2. Fill with distilled water to 5 ml (Figure 4, 2).

3. Add 1 drop of "Tenside" (Figure 4, 3).

4. Add 1 micro spoon of "Periodic acid" and rock the small glass container (Figure 4, 4).

5. Allow to stand for 5 minutes (Figure 4, 5).

Note: It is essential to comply with the specified standing time in step 5; otherwise the measured value result may be distorted.

6. Add 10 drops of "Natronlauge" or Caustic Soda Solution (Figure 4, 6).

7. Allow to stand for 3 minutes (Figure 4, 7).

Note: It is essential to comply with the specified standing time in step 7; otherwise the measured value result maybe distorted.

8. The sample is now divided into 2 layers; an upper and a lower layer. Immerse the syringe so that the end tip is into the lower layer of the sample and take up approximately 4 ml. of the lower layer using the syringe (Figure 4, 8).

9. Pour the fluid taken up through the filter into a clean small glass container (Figure 4, 9).

10. Immerse test sticks into the filtered solution for approximately 2 seconds, shake the stick and wait for a reaction time of one minute (Figure 4, 10).

11. Compare the color of the test sticks with the color chart on the test stick tube (Figure 4, 11).

Note: The colors of the color chart tube correspond to the amount of glycol contamination of the ATF. After completion of the test, the liquid in the two glass containers should be handled as a hazardous waste. Store in a sealed container and dispose of in accordance with all Federal, state and local hazardous waste regulations.

Perform repair based on the test result:
1. Up to 100 mg/liter of glycol contamination do not perform any repair (considered normal due to condensed water and not a leak).

2. As of 100 mg/liter up to 400 mg/liter of glycol contamination, replace radiator and torque converter. Clean and flush lines.

3. As of 400 mg/liter, replace radiator, torque converter and transmission. Clean and flush lines.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32R
let me know what you find out on radiators, I started a thread a few weeks ago about this, but no one really knew of a diff radiator...
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
let me know what you find out on radiators, I started a thread a few weeks ago about this, but no one really knew of a diff radiator...
I recall that thread - did you ever do any research on it? The dealer had a Behr (sp?) that was the recommended replacement, but if there is something beefier, or maybe it could be a retro fit from like an SL65 or some such craziness?...
Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM

silver 2002 c32 amg
i'm still waiting for the results from my test, the car goes back in tomorrow so i will try to press them for an answer i'm actually hoping it comes back positive then i can get the transmission jerk sorted out and get on with enjoying my car

just curious about your paying for the test was it not covered by the warranty,? just that they did mine no questions asked
Old 02-19-2006, 12:53 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by timberman
i'm still waiting for the results from my test, the car goes back in tomorrow so i will try to press them for an answer i'm actually hoping it comes back positive then i can get the transmission jerk sorted out and get on with enjoying my car

just curious about your paying for the test was it not covered by the warranty,? just that they did mine no questions asked
My car had no symptoms, so I offered to pay it. Probably coulda hacked on 'em and gotten it, but it was only $100 so I just decided to stay in good graces - if it came back positive, I was going to really beat on them for a new tranny if the contamination was borderline. It would be covered under warranty if I had tranny jerkiness symptomatic of glycol contamination, but I didn't. Clearing tranny adaptation took care of it. This was just to put my mind at ease before replacing the radiator.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:02 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
Originally Posted by Bif powell
My car had no symptoms, so I offered to pay it. Probably coulda hacked on 'em and gotten it, but it was only $100 so I just decided to stay in good graces - if it came back positive, I was going to really beat on them for a new tranny if the contamination was borderline. It would be covered under warranty if I had tranny jerkiness symptomatic of glycol contamination, but I didn't. Clearing tranny adaptation took care of it. This was just to put my mind at ease before replacing the radiator.
cheers
i'm going to check if i've got the valeo rad, if i have and the test comes back negative i think i shall do as you are and replace it. my warranty runs out this week so i'm hoping i can get this sorted without going out of pocket,still can't decide whether to extend the warranty or not
Old 02-19-2006, 08:39 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by timberman
cheers
i'm going to check if i've got the valeo rad, if i have and the test comes back negative i think i shall do as you are and replace it. my warranty runs out this week so i'm hoping i can get this sorted without going out of pocket,still can't decide whether to extend the warranty or not
I am deliberately NOT getting a warranty. I'm going to mod the **** out of my car and then drive the hell out of it on road/autox/dragging
Old 02-20-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Please let us know when you find the best replacement for the Valeo. Gracias.