C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Springs for the avg driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C32 Black
Springs for the avg driver

I have read lots of posts regarding which springs are the best for the C32: RennTech, H&R, Brabus, etc.

My C32 is my daily driver and I don't race it (other than punching it off the line). Will I notice a big difference between all these aftermarket springs? I am mainly looking to replace the springs for appearance more than performance. I want to eliminate that big gap in the front and also give the car a more aggressive look.

Any thoughts? Will an avg. driver like me be able to tell the difference (in driving capability) between all these aftermarket springs?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-30-2006, 05:13 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
I'd just go with H&R then, $229 from Tirerack. Going in a straight line you are not going to notice much of a difference. Cornering should be tighter. Ride quality shouldn't change than much with the stock shocks.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteveL
I'd just go with H&R then, $229 from Tirerack. Going in a straight line you are not going to notice much of a difference. Cornering should be tighter. Ride quality shouldn't change than much with the stock shocks.

Except that then he has to deal with shortened life span of the stock shocks. For that reason, I suggest Renntech. Sorry KRob3, I guess you're not going to get consensus easily on this forum!

Best of luck, whatever route you go.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:26 PM

'03 C32 Black
M3 eater, why would the life span of the shocks be shorter with H&R springs? Why would RennTech be a better choice?

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
renntech provides the look and keeps the ride quality....

test proven.

My wife hates cars that are low and ride stiff. She hated my previous G35 sedan and it was stock suspension and 18's.

I changed the springs and let her drive it to work a few days...

so far she never has noticed the difference...

if the car was stiffer over bumps than before, she would of mentioned something.

so far... she really likes driving the car around.

H&R are good too, but I believe they provide probably a better feel but a bit more harsh from my search. Either way, the shocks on these cars are soft, so springs will not make the car become untolerable.

you WILL NOT regret it.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
I've read a number of times that the Renntech and Eibachs are the same spring with the Eibachs being much more affordable. True???

Why would one aftermarket spring kill the stock shocks faster than any other??? I don't get that at all.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
I have Brabus springs.. they ride great! I like the height too.. could be a little lower.. but not bad.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by SteveL1
I've read a number of times that the Renntech and Eibachs are the same spring with the Eibachs being much more affordable. True???

Why would one aftermarket spring kill the stock shocks faster than any other??? I don't get that at all.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...

Eibach manufacturers Renntech springs but they are not the exact same springs. Other than color, they look the same (so do all the other springs when you line them all up) but the spring rate is most likely different.

Which brings me to your next question. OEM shocks match the spring rate of OEM springs. If you buy higher performance springs, those will rebound quicker than OEM springs. This will cause a shorter life to your OEM shocks which weren't designed to rebound so quickly.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
I don't have any of the springs listed. I have Vogtlandt springs. I think the drop is perfect and the rie is similar to stock. You only feel the difference over low speed bumps.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 AM

2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
My OE C32 shocks are still going fine after 3 1/2 years living with RENNtech springs plus another year with the stock springs. That includes numerous autocross and track events. Personally, I have been very happy with RENNtech springs.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
i agree with the renntech folks. they ride and look great.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:49 PM

I recommended H&R because of price and what he was asking for. Any lowering spring will be equally tough on the stock shocks but if he gets stiffer shocks, the ride quality suffers. I have Renntech springs and recommend them but all he wanted to do was lower the car and for that H&R will be fine.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:30 PM

'05 C55 AMG
ok so would you guys say that H&R and Renntech springs keep the overall ride quality similar to stock?

btw, how much did you guys pay for the Renntech springs?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Originally Posted by SteveL
I recommended H&R because of price and what he was asking for. Any lowering spring will be equally tough on the stock shocks but if he gets stiffer shocks, the ride quality suffers. I have Renntech springs and recommend them but all he wanted to do was lower the car and for that H&R will be fine.

OK SteveL, one of us is going to have to add an avitar or something as I even thought your post was from me until I read it!

Now that I have your attention and you have the Renntech springs or your car.....have you riden in cars with other springs to compare the ride, or have you had other brands on your own car??? See, around here, hardly anyone has a C class, let alone one that has been lowered, so sampeling is not an option.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
I can't compare as I have only had the Brabus.. what I can tell you.. Brabus is a MB tuner.. guaranteed to be high quality. Brabus have a great ride height and they are cheaper than Renntech.

I am a daily driver with 91k + miles. The spring have been on the car for SERIOUSLY at least 40k miles and the shocks are fine. No problems.

The car gets a little sketchy at 120+ hitting dips in the road or major turns .. a little body roll.. (LOL.. Is regularly driving 100+ normal?? hehe)
Old 03-31-2006, 04:34 PM

'03 C32 Black
Lots of great info guys. Can someone PM me with a pic of their car and tell me what springs they have? I would like to compare the height of each, but as mentioned previously, there are not a lot of C-class MBs that have been lowered in my area so I cannot see in person.

I'd like to see the height difference between the RennTech and H&R. I know the H&R are cheaper, that is why I ask.

Thanks again for a great discussion.

Kevin
Old 03-31-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by SteveL1
Now that I have your attention and you have the Renntech springs or your car.....have you riden in cars with other springs to compare the ride, or have you had other brands on your own car??? See, around here, hardly anyone has a C class, let alone one that has been lowered, so sampeling is not an option.
I have an SLK32 with Renntech springs and a C43 with Eibachs. The ride quality of the SLK was affected more by going with Koni yellow adjustable shocks than by the springs. The ride quality is very stiff and I won't want it for a daily driver. On the C43, just springs were done with the stock shocks. Ride quality is very good.