C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2002 c32 amg xenon to bi-xenon convertion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 amg xenon to bi-xenon convertion

Hi Everybody.
Does anybody know if I can install an aftermarket bi-xenon headlights on my stock 2002 c32 amg with xenon headlights. I'm looking at buying that Depo Bi-xenon headlamps. I've been trying to read the other threads, but most are just conversion of stock halogen headlights to bi-xenon headlights. I'm basically concerned about the plugs, the auto leveling, and the ballast of my xenons if it will fit the aftermarket depo headlamps. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:05 AM

2004 E55
I'd like to know the answer to this as well since I am in the same situation. I found some nice looking aftermarket lights on ebay for a good price.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:08 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
will it work: actual bi-xenon, yes, plug and play, auto leveing everything. Depo projector headlight, no.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
Depo lights are not real bi xenon it wont work if you try to install the OEM bulb and ballast on it. of you do but it you can go with an after market hid that would fit the depo's but you will have to take your car to the dealer if you have xenon's now tp re program back to non xenon setting. I would just buy the real deal from steve.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrankW
will it work: actual bi-xenon, yes, plug and play, auto leveing everything. Depo projector headlight, no.

Frank, I have factory (single) xenons too. Are you saying that I can just buy the bixenon headlights themselves (for way less than the full cost of conversion from non-xenon to bixenon) and plug them in?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Yeah, you can upgrade from OEM xenons to OEM bixenons just by swapping headlights. Plug and play, and auto leveling works. No programming changes are needed.

If you want to switch from OEM projectors to OEM xenon or OEM bixenon, they plug right in, but autoleveling will not work since you don't have the sensors. Also, your car's computer must be set to XENON=PRESENT by the dealer.

If you have OEM xenons and want to switch to DEPO projectors, they plug right in, but you must use a halogen bulb, or an aftermarket HID retrofit kit. There is no autoleveling. If you stick with the halogens, XENON=PRESENT must be taken out of your programming. If you use an aftermarket HID retrofit kit, no programming changes are needed.

If you want to switch from OEM halogens to Depo, they are plug and play. No programming needs to be changed if you use halogen or fake HID/blue bulbs. If you use an aftermarket HID retrofit kit, you must have XENON=PRESENT programmed.

In summary, if you have OEM Xenon or OEM Bixenons or an aftermarket HID retrofit kit, you must have XENON=PRESENT in your computer. If you use halogen bulbs, XENON=PRESENT can not be present.

*however, SOME hid retrofit kits, like the Carlab one, make the car think that halogens are present, so they are direct plug&play for people upgrading from Halogens.

Last edited by jgsx; 06-29-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by jgsx
Yeah, you can upgrade from OEM xenons to OEM bixenons just by swapping headlights. Plug and play, and auto leveling works. No programming changes are needed.

If you want to switch from OEM projectors to OEM xenon or OEM bixenon, they plug right in, but autoleveling will not work since you don't have the sensors. Also, your car's computer must be set to XENON=PRESENT by the dealer.

If you have OEM xenons and want to switch to DEPO projectors, they plug right in, but you must use a halogen bulb, or an aftermarket HID retrofit kit. There is no autoleveling. Your car's computer must have the XENON=PRESENT taken out, even if you are using an aftermkaret HID kit.

If you want to switch from OEM halogens to Depo, they are plug and play. No programming needs to be changed, even if you add an aftermarket HID retrofit kit.

In summary, if you have OEM Xenon or OEM Bixenons, you must have XENON=PRESENT in your computer. If you don't have OEM xenon or OEM bixenon (halogens or depos), you can't have XENON=PRESENT in your car's programming
if you use an aftermarket HID kit, you need the XENON=PRESENT setting. HID is basically XENONs
Old 06-29-2006, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
you're right rlee, I edited the post. I recently switched to bixenons from halogens, and I love them!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by m3_eater
Frank, I have factory (single) xenons too. Are you saying that I can just buy the bixenon headlights themselves (for way less than the full cost of conversion from non-xenon to bixenon) and plug them in?
it's plug and play, but it's still gonna be the same price from steve.

I did it. oem xenon to oem bi-xenon. everything works.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:17 PM

2004 E55
The information in this thread has been very helpfull, thank you. Any idea how much $ it is to go from oem Xenon (cloudy ones) to the clear bi Xenon's? Do the bi Xenon's have to be purchased with bulbs or can you get them with just the fixture? Personaly I would like to just keep my bulbs and get the clear headlights.

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
you replace the entire headlight assembly. the bulbs are the cheap part, so you aren't really saving much. new bixenons go for about 2500, but you can get them for much less from steve
Old 06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by emax
The information in this thread has been very helpfull, thank you. Any idea how much $ it is to go from oem Xenon (cloudy ones) to the clear bi Xenon's? Do the bi Xenon's have to be purchased with bulbs or can you get them with just the fixture? Personaly I would like to just keep my bulbs and get the clear headlights.

Thanks a lot.
i think the xenons use a D2R bulb and the bi-xenons use a D2S bulb.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 AM

2004 E55
I have done a lot of retrofiting of HID bulbs in cars over the years. Some people may find the idea of epoxying their bulbs in place upsetting, but it works. I will likely buy a pair of the clear projector lights on ebay and I will do a little write up on it. Just give me a few weeks...
Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
that works as well. cheaper alternative to getting the actual bi-xenon.

search for jtc320's post. He has the depo projector headlight and 8000k HID kit.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Just did my Bi-xenon swap last night. I got mine on ebay for $750 and they look like new.. Talk about a score!!! Booya..

Took me about 2 hours because I didn't have anyone to help. Found the directions by searching the FF.. lol..

It was pretty easy, and fun.. Man what a difference.. I am so happy.. Now I just need to get my exhaust done.. hopefully next week!

Here is a pic from last night.. yes it was dark too which also delayed the install.. It was just too hot to work until after 7..
Attached Thumbnails 2002 c32 amg xenon to bi-xenon convertion-bi-xenonconv.jpg  

Last edited by amgmark; 06-30-2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 07-01-2006, 12:51 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by amgmark
Just did my Bi-xenon swap last night. I got mine on ebay for $750 and they look like new.. Talk about a score!!! Booya..

Took me about 2 hours because I didn't have anyone to help. Found the directions by searching the FF.. lol..

It was pretty easy, and fun.. Man what a difference.. I am so happy.. Now I just need to get my exhaust done.. hopefully next week!

Here is a pic from last night.. yes it was dark too which also delayed the install.. It was just too hot to work until after 7..
very nice and wat a steal on the light.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:00 AM

2004 E55
Nice price on those indeed, maybe it was a "steal"
Old 07-31-2006, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
another after pic..
Attached Thumbnails 2002 c32 amg xenon to bi-xenon convertion-bi-xenonsig.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006, 03:52 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by amgmark
another after pic..

Looks very mice, I have been trying to find a pair on ebay and I have had very little luck. Quick question, I noticed the front bumber was off your car in one of the pics. Do you need to remove it to get the lights in, or?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
For those following this thread, I'm going to have (2) pairs of headlights up in the Classifieds available soon. Both are OEM used. One is a Xenon set and the other one is a Bi-Xenon set. The Xenon set is used and came with the car (regular wear, no problems at all). The Bi-Xenon set was bought in Dec 05 from Germany. I think when the guy took them off the car, a couple of tabs from one of the assemblies broke. After 2 months of argueing with the guy (apparently, it was Fedex's fault) I finally got a replacement and the guy never followed up in taking the old ones back.

When I said "available soon", I'm going to have everything check before I even think of selling them. I'm going to take pictures and having them test by a technician I came across last week fixing my comand unit. I have the tabs, so if they are repairable, fine, if not, I won't sell anything that's not working properly. I even started a thread asking for any suggestions on how to make sure the headlights work without installing them in the car. Here it is for those who want to make sure:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/155364-c32-fellows-need-help-w-instrument-cluster.html

I've been visiting this forum since I bought my car last Fall and I don't want to be in the "beware of scammer" category. My ebay ID is 'krlosflores' for those who would like to check my feedback (100% as a buyer, I haven't sell stuff on ebay yet). If you are in the Houston area, you are more than welcome to take a look at them. Just making sure I don't start a war here for a few $$$.

Regards - Carlos
Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by emax
Looks very mice, I have been trying to find a pair on ebay and I have had very little luck. Quick question, I noticed the front bumber was off your car in one of the pics. Do you need to remove it to get the lights in, or?
Yes, the bumper needs to come off to swap the headlights. It's a fairly simple process..
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by FrankW
it's plug and play, but it's still gonna be the same price from steve.

I did it. oem xenon to oem bi-xenon. everything works.
I have been seeing "steve" quite a few times in lighting and euro parts threads but haven't been able to figure out a contact/screen name...

Any help?

Just bought a '06 230 sedan saturday for the fiance'...I'm a noob when it comes to MB. I'd like to upgrade to euro bi-xenon from OEM halogen.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by slcya
I have been seeing "steve" quite a few times in lighting and euro parts threads but haven't been able to figure out a contact/screen name...
...I think you are refering to MBenzNL...try Steve@MBenzNL.com

greetingz,
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i heard aftermarket housings melt if used with HIDs, my friend's lenses melted
Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 2011 Audi A4
Re:

How come these are so cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DEPO-W203-C320-C2...QQcmdZViewItem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2002 c32 amg xenon to bi-xenon convertion