C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How many SuperCharged C55's on this forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
How many SuperCharged C55's on this forum?

Although I am planning on swapping out my HPS SC for another Brand (Kleemann, Renntech, Carlsson,???) by the end of this year, I am curious how many C55 owners on this forum had their car supercharged and what brand they chose.

So far I know of myself and these MBWORLD members only so I'll start the list and hope others will add their Sig/Handle ,Year of Car, Brand/Type of SC and whether you are Satisfied wit the kit.

1. AMGSC - 2006, HPS Gen II, Dissatisfied.
2. SUPERC55 - 2005 - HPS Gen II, Dissatisfied, Removed
3. AMGDRAGON - 2005 - Kleemann S8, Satisfied, Sold
4. CATAPULT - 2006 - Kleemann, Satisfied.
5. BENNYZ - 2005 - Renntech, Satisfied.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there was a very long thread about your issues with HPS, but without having to go back and read the entire thing could you very briefly explain what the main issues with them were. For example, was it (i) mechanical issues, (ii) did not achieve the promised levels of performance, or their (iii) service.

I had the the generation I unit on my C43 and it worked fine, however I did have some issues with their service and getting parts. Would appreciate it if you could concisely summarize your issues with them. Thx.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Although I am planning on swapping out my HPS SC for another Brand (Kleemann, Renntech, Carlsson,???) by the end of this year, I am curious how many C55 owners on this forum had their car supercharged and what brand they chose.

So far I know of myself and these MBWORLD members only so I'll start the list and hope others will add their Sig/Handle ,Year of Car, Brand/Type of SC and whether you are Satisfied wit the kit.

1. AMGSC - 2006, HPS Gen II, Dissatisfied.
2. SUPERC55 - 2005 - HPS Gen II, Dissatisfied, Removed
3. AMGDRAGON - 2005 - Kleemann S8, Satisfied, Sold
4. CATAPULT - 2006 - Kleemann, Satisfied.
5. BENNYZ - 2005 - Renntech, Satisfied.
Sell your C55 and go with a w211 Kleemann E55. Trust me, you will not regret that decision.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
Sell your C55 and go with a w211 Kleemann E55. Trust me, you will not regret that decision.
Did you notice a significant decline in handling? I know it's alot more luxurious, powerful and the SC is OEM but handling is my only concern.

I would consider an 04 E55 or an 05 RS4 if I can't wait long enough for the C63. I read somewhere that the 7 speed cannot handle the torque that a Supercharger would put on a C63.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
I know there was a very long thread about your issues with HPS, but without having to go back and read the entire thing could you very briefly explain what the main issues with them were. For example, was it (i) mechanical issues, (ii) did not achieve the promised levels of performance, or their (iii) service.

I had the the generation I unit on my C43 and it worked fine, however I did have some issues with their service and getting parts. Would appreciate it if you could concisely summarize your issues with them. Thx.
In Bullet point format:
1) Giving me a Fake Dyno showing 414rwp
2) 1st Independent Dyno was 310rwhp, Last Independent was 318rwhp.
3) Stutters, Stalls and Jerks when I accelerate.
4) Check Engine Lights that constantly needed to be reset.
5) At least 150+ dynos trying to fix lack of power and CELs.
6) Lost use of car for nearly 1/2 of the time during a 6 month period.
7) Lied about not needing ECU tuning until I raised the issue.
8) Threatened to void warranty of own customers if they complain.
9) Numerous malfuctions with other HPS owner's kits (faulty wiring, cracked SC crankshaft, intercooler, failed pump, vacuum leaks, AFR too lean, etc..) and a confirmed blown engine caused by Kit.
10) Used customer's cars for R&D testing and calling it an upgrade.
11) Refuses to answer phone calls or emails.
12) Lost time from work taking car down 200 miles to Escondido for repair.
13) Out of pocket costs for car rentals while car was in the shop.
14) Modifiying my post on this forum and using as Customer Testimonial on MyHPS.com website. (I'm going to sue him for this)
15) Refusing to offer partial refund for defective kit.
16) Amended contract disclaims that product will work at all.

Attention: All potential HPS buyers!! Read the Sales Contract CAREFULLY! If you do then you would walk out of the office immediately and kill the deal for your own sake!

These are just a few but I could go on and on. An independent contractor referred by Linh named Jessie helped solve all the tuning issues but he could only do so much with the defective hardware design.

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-20-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
In Bullet point format:
9) Numerous malfuctions with other HPS owner's kits (faulty wiring, cracked SC crankshaft, intercooler, failed pump, vacuum leaks, AFR too lean, etc..) and a confirmed blown engine caused by Kit.

These are just a few but I could go on and on. An independent contractor referred by Linh named Jessie helped solve all the tuning issues but he could only do so much with the defective hardware design.

damn, i was looking it up and that kit costs over 10 grand!
will they refund you?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
kleemann all the way just did my car it is awesome and reliable considering I drive 82 miles one way to work and it performs flawlessly.can not say enough about kleemann and Brandon and Cory hats off to them
Old 07-20-2006, 10:36 AM

AMGSC,

I'm really sorry to hear that, man. That's unbelievable what they have put you through. If I was you, I would be looking for a very good lawyer right now...

Do you still have the unit on your car?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 AM

'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
AMGSC, check out this guy...

http://www.amgpower.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1882

point being I think it's safe to mark him as "Kleemann S8(++?), Satisfied"

Last edited by c55m8o; 07-20-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
In Bullet point format:
14) Modifiying my post on this forum and using as Customer Testimonial on MyHPS.com website. (I'm going to sue him for this)

Attention: All potential HPS buyers!! Read the Sales Contract CAREFULLY! If you do then you would walk out of the office immediately and kill the deal for your own sake!

Dude, get a lawyer. Sue their asses. Was the sales contract pretty small and attached to the invoice? In most circumstances, it's pure boilerplate and you won't really be held accountable for it. The fake dyno takes the cake. They're intentionally trying to misrepresent their product and services to you.

And, if you'd like and you know of more instances of HPS screwing over more customers, you can contact the Consumer Protection Department of the DA's Office (I'm not sure how much they'd help on this one, but I'm sure they'd point you out to other agencies if they couldn't).
http://www.lacountyda.org/cpd/default.htm

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Just keeping it positive -

There is a Kleemann authorized shop where I live (Michigan), and they do TONS of Kleemann SC installs. They have a strong base of very happy customers for all high-performance Benz modifications. If I had a C55 instead of C32, I would march right over there and plunk down my $$. To top it off, when I had the Quaife LSD installed in my C32 (by the same shop), I called the Kleemann headquarters in Colorado, and they were very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful - even though I wasn't buying anything from them at the time!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:58 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Exclamation To supercharge or not to supercharge!

What's the boards thoughts on the HPS superchargers? I am seriously considering one for the C55 AMG and was wondering if anyone has done this mod-

thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by terracer
What's the boards thoughts on the HPS superchargers? I am seriously considering one for the C55 AMG and was wondering if anyone has done this mod-

thanks in advance!
did you even read this post/topic? AMGSC has one and he's even listed all the problems...
Old 07-26-2006, 04:30 PM

'05 C55 AMG
wHERE IS THE LOVE?

Originally Posted by nlpamg
did you even read this post/topic? AMGSC has one and he's even listed all the problems...
I'm a newbie at this Phil - Where is the love? <G>

Terry

Last edited by terracer; 07-26-2006 at 04:47 PM. Reason: bad day?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by terracer
I'm a newbie at this Phil - Where is the love? <G>

Terry
sorry Terry. in short, HPS is bad news. scroll up and read why. welcome!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:39 PM

'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Did you notice a significant decline in handling? I know it's alot more luxurious, powerful and the SC is OEM but handling is my only concern.
Just read back on this thread and saw this. LoL ... Ya, people's expectations are different. One person might think the E55 is the best handling car they've had ; others might think it's 'OK'. I'm in the latter category.

The electronic wizardry does a great job keeping it pretty flat. But turn-in just isn't there. And you definitely know it's a weight monster.

I'm a firm believer that most of the speeds we have to drive on suburbian roads with all other traffic are so low, we really don't need to even do a slight break check before turns and I don't. So when I did that getting on an on-ramp on a E55 testdrive, to the highway that I divebomb with my C43/55, I almost ended up on the grass after the turn. I drove a few more miles, and exercized the supercharger, sure... But the hotrod wagon E55 I really wanted to buy just wasn't going to be in my future.

In that regard, I do want to step up to a Kleemann in the future with these attractive prices. (don't wish HPS to go away, because you only have the Kleemann prices you do because of them!) I do worry however about the added weight of the Kleemann though. It's a frigg'n heavy mother. And that weight sits high. I've already upped the weight up front with the 5.4L motor by like 50 lb (most of the weight is mid height to low). Talking to RPM RAcing, one of the guys there said it's a good bit over 100lb; taking away your stock manifold it's netting like 70 - 80 lb even more over/infront of the front tires. If you care pretty much about only straightline, this doesn't hurt. But that sure won't help my 'little' C43 turn anywhere near where it does today. ...just my thoughts. ...guess I have to live vicariously through all you others with the Kleemann kit.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:31 AM

Whatevers in The Garage
Thumbs up

My kleemann C55s8 is awesome. No issues in driveability long or short distance. More fun than my old 03 E55 by far. Kleemann rocks
Old 07-30-2006, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by exotica1
My kleemann C55s8 is awesome. No issues in driveability long or short distance. More fun than my old 03 E55 by far. Kleemann rocks
Dyno it and show us how awesome it is. DragonAMG showed us his dyno and a dyno vid as well, so there was no uncertainty to how awesome his old car was.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:17 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
kleemann rocks I love my car clk 500 with kleemann kompressor and headers it is by far the best bolt on performance I have ever done would I do it again, yea over and over and over !
Old 07-31-2006, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by c55m8o
Just read back on this thread and saw this. LoL ... Ya, people's expectations are different. One person might think the E55 is the best handling car they've had ; others might think it's 'OK'. I'm in the latter category.

The electronic wizardry does a great job keeping it pretty flat. But turn-in just isn't there. And you definitely know it's a weight monster.

I'm a firm believer that most of the speeds we have to drive on suburbian roads with all other traffic are so low, we really don't need to even do a slight break check before turns and I don't. So when I did that getting on an on-ramp on a E55 testdrive, to the highway that I divebomb with my C43/55, I almost ended up on the grass after the turn. I drove a few more miles, and exercized the supercharger, sure... But the hotrod wagon E55 I really wanted to buy just wasn't going to be in my future.

In that regard, I do want to step up to a Kleemann in the future with these attractive prices. (don't wish HPS to go away, because you only have the Kleemann prices you do because of them!) I do worry however about the added weight of the Kleemann though. It's a frigg'n heavy mother. And that weight sits high. I've already upped the weight up front with the 5.4L motor by like 50 lb (most of the weight is mid height to low). Talking to RPM RAcing, one of the guys there said it's a good bit over 100lb; taking away your stock manifold it's netting like 70 - 80 lb even more over/infront of the front tires. If you care pretty much about only straightline, this doesn't hurt. But that sure won't help my 'little' C43 turn anywhere near where it does today. ...just my thoughts. ...guess I have to live vicariously through all you others with the Kleemann kit.
That's why you need to get a custom vortech or procharger setup. Assumed to be much lighter. I've got some extra hardware to get you started.....
Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's my pathetic dyno results from Evosport!

After getting only 320rwhp at Advanced Motorsports in Irvine a month ago. I decided to get a final one at EVOSPORT to find out what my AFR was running. Although the AFR looks decent it still lacks any power. My Flecher Jones dealer wiped out Jessie's (SpeedInnovation) chip tuning but it is still a far cry from the bogus 414rwp that HPS sent me. I still need to check the intercooler level during my lunch hour to see if it leaked into intake manifold like the other guy recently reported on this forum.

This dyno was done with all the airboxes on and no dyno mode in order to simulate real driving conditions. The temperature was in the 90's and an SAE 5correction factor was applied. I used Costco 91 Octane gas. Bob also advised me not to Reset the ECU even though I drive in congested traffic everyday since it would put the car in neutral mode instead of aggressive.

Very dissapointing results once again. This is my last and final dyno. This absolutely proves that HPS was lying about their claims about a 150hp gain with their Gen II kits.
Attached Thumbnails How many SuperCharged C55's on this forum?-chen-robert-c55-amg-hps-kompressor1.jpg  

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-31-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 PM

... this is a dyno of a C55? not a supercharged 4.3L engine?

Woa, I see why you're grip'n! My C43 with the 5.4L engine was dyno'd @ around 325ft-lb of torque on upshifts; power peaked once @ 306, but was usually around 297'ish. (seen here) I think that's pretty typical of NA 5.4L engines.

Last edited by c55m8o; 07-31-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 PM

Love/Hate relationship

I love the engine and all the more so since the installation of the supercharger.

I often hate the transmission. It seems, at times, to work at odds with I want. When I or it gets it right, it's beautiful thing, but other times I want to go and the damn thing up-shifts.

Oddly, I have always had manual transmissions, but I am unable to drive the car in manual and make shifting transparent like you do with a true manual. All I can think is because there is no intermediate neutral like with a manual the act can't be successfully duplicated.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
In Bullet point format:

Thank you for the "to the point" format of that monster thread. I have to admit, HPS makes the best looking kompressor, IMHO. Too bad they have such malfunctions and go to such means...