C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

c32 cars with renntech springs- guys can u check something pl?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
c32 cars with renntech springs- guys can u check something pl?

i'm having a few probs with my install.

can someone pop the hood and see if the top bracket that bolted onto strut is pressing onto the rubber bushing below?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I had the RENNtech springs. already told you in the other thread that the top rectangle bracket doesn't touch the rubber pads on the strut and doesn't suppose to.

if you are having the squeaking problem check the sway bar endlink or the suspension thrust arm bushings.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FrankW sorry I did respond to you in prior thread but should have made myself clearer. i wanted to check see how other folks' cars are sitting.

it kinda doesnt make sense for the top to loose. this is what centers the strut and top and prevents is from moving around.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
AWD,

They all have a gap between the rectangle and the strut tower. Changing springs does not affect this gap. Don't worry about the strut moving around because it can't move around with the way it is mounted by a large runbber top hat on the strut assembly that locates into the strut tower of the car perfectly. The nut being tight has nothing to do with the spring moving around.

If it is not making noise then it is o.k.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
This space is the biggest flaw in the W203 chassis (non 4matic cars for they actually have double wishbones!).

Take your car and have a friend turn the wheel as it sits there. You will see the strut tube rock for and aft as you turn the wheel. This is dont for a reason I have not been able to pin point but I likely has something to do with ease of turning for parking etc.

This space allows that top nut to rock back and forth so everything is exactly fine as it stands.

From a performance stand point this motion is horrible. The caster changes as your turn the wheel and it changes from side to side as well. As Zepp has found this W203 has a suspension that just does not respond well to being tuned for track use. As you turn and load the suspension, the bushings flex, the struts rock for and aft and the allignment of the wheel is always changing.

Now the SLK cars have the same exact lower control arms, same spring attachmnets etc but they DO NOT have this moving top mount for the MacPherson strut. The SLK has far better tire wear at the track (for a car with equal weight etc) and this I believe is why the W203 has horrible camber control. Regardless of what we do with camber bushings, bolts, washers, the car always seems to need MORE NEGATIVE CAMBER.

If we could modify this attachment point to a style like that on the SLK, we could make the W203 far better I believe. We could actually have real steering feel, adjustable camber via camber plates (already being sold by VAATH in germany for the SLK), and reasonable tire wear for track use. The SLK shock tower allows for the normal 3 bolt attachment at the top of the shock tower and this style of attachment allows for camber plate usage like on all "normal" strust suspension vehicles.

So all we need now is to find a tuner who can make this happen. Any thoughts????
Old 09-05-2006, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the insight cyn , zep.

the car is making noise. anyway i head over to the shop this am to check it out.

as for solution - cut the top of an slks strut tower and transplant to c32? but easier said than done i suppose.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok the rattling was a loose sway bar link.

i'm all set. the car feels much better not too harsh at all.

at this point i guess i will just carry on doing my stuff....not fuss too much can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. not sure it's worth doing all the modding needed to make this into an M3.

thanks again cyncarver zepplin frankw. great insight.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
glad you got it fixed.

the C32 will never be a M3 in terms of handling. lol...