C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 issues anyone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
C55 issues anyone

So far since getting this car the radio went dead for some reason. Wife was using the steering wheel volume controls while driving home from work and the radio went dead. I took a look at it to see if she muted it but sure didn't. I tried turning it off and on to see if it would correct it but nothing. I removed key and left the car. About 2 hours later came back and tried radio again, it worked. Weird and I was thinking man I'm going to have to take it to the dealership. Any one esle had this happen.

Another issue which is bothering the **** out of my wife is the brake sqeak like hell whem coming to a stop. Only happens when you are slowing down really slow on the last like 6 ft or so. Is this happening to you C55 owners or is it just happening to my wife and I. Also is this covered under warranty and can I just say hay have a look at my sqeaky brakes and they will do it for no charge. Thanks and could you guys with C55's state some of the problems you guys have had.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
radio- never happened to me

squeaky brakes- mine squeak occasionally when stopping but not very loud. how many miles u got on ur C55?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 AM

C55 AMG
bough used with 26.5k miles. Sqeak not that loud but loud enough to annoy the hell out of her.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
I have you checked the front pads, to see if you are into the wear sensors?

I had the replace my front pads at about 30k miles (C32).
Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Brake squeak is due to improper seating of pads when first installed, or failure to use any squeak paste on the back of the pads when first installed. Can probably be fixed by sanding the pads, re-applying anti-squeak paste and seating them properly (i.e. driving up to about 35 mph come to a complete, slow and smooth stop, let pads cools about 45 min to one hour, repeat 2 or 3 times).

Never had the radio problem, but definately take it in for warranty replacement of the radio and/or steering wheel controls if necessary do not give up with dealer until problem is completely fixed.

Only two problems with my C55 to date -- dealer replaced the driver's front seat bottom because the seat heater did not work (new leather whole nine yards -- great deal).

Currently, every once in a while my left headlight either varies from high intensity to low intensity, to going off momentarily. Has not happened enough to cause me to take the car in, but I guess I will make an appointment now; this cannot be a good thing.

Other than that, the car has worked perfectly; the dealer changed the front brake pads, seated them properly and I have not had any squeaking or other problems since.

Regards,
Old 10-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 C55 AMG
I had the radio problem also. Took it to the dealership they couldn't repeat the problem. Has ever happened again. All did was turn the car off then on...

Good luck....
Old 10-18-2006, 12:42 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGpowerc55
I had the radio problem also. Took it to the dealership they couldn't repeat the problem. Has ever happened again. All did was turn the car off then on...

Good luck....
Thanks, I knew I wasn't the only one. I thought my wife was going to be without radio until taken in to the dealership but it just worked again. The problem must be with a sticky volume control on the steering wheel then because she only uses that for controls. I hate the wheel control because it's to slow to adjust volume. Thanks for the heads up on the radio thing. I hope it doesn't go out again because I was furious about it not having any tunes while driving. Would have had to bring the beat box out, lol.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 PM

05 c55
I've had the radio issue. Every other month or so it won't play for a little while. It will scroll through stations or cd tracks but doesn't play any sound. Aldo, the comand doesn't recognize my factory cd changer. The problem goes away after a couple hours.

Other problems I had were my xenon headlights were flickering, my steering column wouldn't adjust up and down, my license plate lamp burned out. All of those were covered under warranty. I never did bring up the issue with the radio though.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 PM

C55 AMG
Guys with radio issue, how did it go out. Did you just happen to be listening and then try to change stations on steering wheel or volume and it just shut completely off or some other situation. Like feedback on how it happened. I know for a fact when the thing goes out completely it will be out of warranty and when it was the dealer could not find the fault because it will never happen at the dealership.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:54 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by glomar83
I've had the radio issue. Every other month or so it won't play for a little while. It will scroll through stations or cd tracks but doesn't play any sound.
Every month or so and you didn't bother to tell the dealership, I would have mentioned something and ask if it was a problem with other C55's or even all C's.

How many times you been to the dealership for issues. I would hope after so many times they compensate you with some gifts.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 PM

06 C55
2006 at first service

Just completed A service at Palm Springs MB One year, 7500 miles
Had a few minor issues
CD stuck in head unit...fixed
Pull to right. Rotated front wheels...fixed
Rt front wheel panel loose...fixed
Rt rear door seal replaced (door closed hard)

No brake squeal problems
No rattles or squeaks..Car is super solid

All in all am very happy with my C55.

BTW, car is totally bone stock. IMHO, at sale time (after C63 is out for a year), value will be better than one highly moded
Old 10-18-2006, 01:11 PM

C55 AMG
I've had the same radio problem to where it either has no sound at all or all you hear is static. Shut the car down and restart and it is fine. This has only happened a couple of times.

Last weekend, I was driving home from San DIego to Los Angeles and I was using the Nav system. For some reason, the nav system showed the car about 2-3 miles to the right of where I really was, i.e. I was on highway 15 and it showed me driving about 2 miles to the right, in the dirt or on some side street. It was making "*****in betty" go crazy with directions. After about an hour, the car magically righted itself and was back on the highway.

It hasn't done it since.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:13 PM

05 c55
Mine has been every OTHER month or so and it only lasts for a little while so it hasn't been a huge issue.

I've been to the dealership once for service a and steering column and once for xenon and license plate lamp. Service b in 3500 miles.

Last edited by glomar83; 10-18-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know if you have NAV but there is a new service campaign for it. I've had issues with my NAV where audio with comes in staticy or pure silence. Turn off the car and starting over usually fixes those problems. Other issues:

1)AC switch faulty causing driver's side to not properly cool
2)SRS airbag terminals needed to be replaced.
3)Bushings needed lubrication

That's all I remember being done to my car. Been problem-free for the most part.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:22 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I don't know if you have NAV but there is a new service campaign for it. I've had issues with my NAV where audio with comes in staticy or pure silence. Turn off the car and starting over usually fixes those problems. Other issues:

1)AC switch faulty causing driver's side to not properly cool
2)SRS airbag terminals needed to be replaced.
3)Bushings needed lubrication

That's all I remember being done to my car. Been problem-free for the most part.

Do you know if they have to re-flash your ECU to fix this problem?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RawAMGpower
Do you know if they have to re-flash your ECU to fix this problem?
My friend told me he reflashed the command unit but not the ECU itself. There was no ECU reflash to my surprise.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:17 PM

W221
On my first C55 the whole NAV/CD/Radio unit went dead after 1 week, had to be replaced completely. Overhead ligtning console went dead (no lights inside the car) on 2nd week of owning the car. Had to wait till they get new console from Gremany for 2 weeks. On 3rd week steering column hydraulic system started leeking. Got myself another C55, so far 44K miles and counting, trouble free. I'm on my 3d set of rear tires (almost gone, looking for 4th set) and 2nd set of fronts. Changed front brakes at 40K miles, didn't have any break squeals. The only thing that bothers me is rattle sound in my front passenger door, will be fixed under waranty soon.

Is my car the highest mileage C55 on this forum with 44K miles?

Also, how often do you guys change your oil?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by the101dragons

Another issue which is bothering the **** out of my wife is the brake sqeak like hell whem coming to a stop. Only happens when you are slowing down really slow on the last like 6 ft or so. Is this happening to you C55 owners or is it just happening to my wife and I. Also is this covered under warranty and can I just say hay have a look at my sqeaky brakes and they will do it for no charge. Thanks and could you guys with C55's state some of the problems you guys have had.
Not sure what kind of pads they use on the AMG's but from this description (found on tirerack.com), says that performance Brakes will have increased noise.

Premium

Most Original Equipment and O.E. level Premium pads are designed to offer a blend of stopping power, low noise and dust, and low cost. Most vehicles leave the factory with organic or semi-metallic brake pads, while a growing list of vehicles have ceramic pads as Original Equipment.

Premium brake pads provide sufficient stopping power for everyday street driving, but are not designed for the repetitive, high-speed stops of autocross or track events. The high heat levels associated with these activities can quickly lead to brake fade, increase pedal effort, and reduces the friction coefficient at the pad/disc interface. Most brake fade occurs when the binding agent in the pad material releases gas, causing the pad to "hydroplane" away from the brake disc.

Performance Street

Performance Street pads are a step up from most Original Equipment and Premium replacement pads in the areas of pedal sensitivity, ultimate stopping power, and improved resistance to fade caused by high operating temperatures. They are the perfect match for an upgrade to performance tires, or the occasional weekend autocross with the local sports car club.

The trade-off with these improvements usually comes as a moderate increase in brake dust, quicker wear of the pad and/or rotor, and noise. But if you want your vehicle to stop as well as it goes, Performance Street brake pads may be the perfect choice.

Last edited by kchristos; 10-18-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
My car is pretty much trouble free... only three things... one of them was fixed.

1. NAV. The arrow was sometimes out of sync w/ the map and some other times it was freeze. Dealer said the software was somehow corrupted... reloaded the software and so far so good... but my address book got wiped out

2. Rattle on the plastic cover of the driver's seat belt (the one near the adjuster). Dealer suggested to leave it... if I could live with it... too much work and I was also afraid it wouldn't be as perfect as before

3. Slight wind noise on driver's window. Could be the rubber trim.... we'll see if I could live with it.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't like the rattling from the bass hitting when playing anything quasi loudly. Also my AC is crazy and I think so is my outside temp. It says it's hotter outside than it feels like 75 when it's prob 70 or less. The AC is on when auto mode and ac button is off. Unless I use the AC and auto the knobs for the "auto" climate control do jack ****. I can have it all the way cold outside is cold on auto but no ac and it's not blowing as cold as outside!!!! It really pisses me off. No issues with nav. The car could benefit from a eur. suspension like the old c36 had. anyone know about this? I heard of a neurinberg suspension?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by Tump43
Brake squeak is due to improper seating of pads
Only two problems with my C55 to date -- dealer replaced the driver's front seat bottom because the seat heater did not work (new leather whole nine yards -- great deal).

Regards,

So they had to change the entire bottom?? I have same the problem..

My car has 18000 miles and so far I only had faulty blower regulator for A/C and seat heater problem..
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spr
I don't like the rattling from the bass hitting when playing anything quasi loudly.
Oh yeah that's another thing that I had them work on. They replaced my sub mounts in the rear and that took care of the rattling for a while. Well guess what? It's baaaack!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

What are the following mods?

what is the steel carter plate? fuel content mod? netherlands setting mod? how much did you get your cf lip for? and trunk drawer?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spr
What are the following mods?

what is the steel carter plate? fuel content mod? netherlands setting mod? how much did you get your cf lip for? and trunk drawer?

Steel carter plate is a steel belly plate that goes underneath the motor offering protection for cars that are either lowered or operated in extreme environments. It essentially replaces the plastic shield that is already in place.

Fuel content mod shows you how much fuel is in the tank down to the 1/10 of a gallon.

Netherlands setting is the beep when you lock/unlock your car without losing the panic feature.

The CF lip costs whatever Euroteck sells it for. I believe it was either $649 or $699.

I'm assuming the trunk drawer is the spoiler? If that's what you're referring to then it came with the car. I didn't pay extra for it. From what others have told me it is about $700 painted/installed from MB.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:22 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

how do you enable that fuel mod? That would be interested. you know you can scroll through and see the miles till empty though, so how is that mod shown or displayed? Cool on the steel belly I had a skid plate like that on my 996 with pss9s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 issues anyone