C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

EBC redstuff pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obsidian E55
EBC redstuff pads

Anyone got any feedback or knowledge of these pads.

Comments welcome.

TIA

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/fra...stuff-pads.htm
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Get The Correct Redstuff Pad

Originally Posted by andy_cyp
Anyone got any feedback or knowledge of these pads.

Comments welcome.

TIA

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/fra...stuff-pads.htm
Yes, lots. First, you should not get confused by a prior "redstuff" that EBC sold a few years ago. The current redstuff is a ceramic pad. The web site that you linked shows the OLD Redstuff pad, which is a track-oriented pad that is NOT ceramic. I've not heard great stuff about those older redstuff pads. Use this link to EBC's web site as a reference, and get the ceramic redstuff pad.
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html

I've had EBC redstuff ceramics on for about a year, and I have used them on the street and on two separate two-day (4 total days) performance driving schools. They performed VERY well. I was very pleased with their performance. No fade despite very hard use on-track. On the street, they are quiet and spew out relatively little dust. One caveat -- they have less initial grab than OEM pads especially when they are cold. So cold stops require a strong pedal. I will be replacing them (with new EBC Reds) very shortly.

Installation note: The rear pads come a tiny bit wide and need to be ground down in order to fit into the rear calipers.

PS: I used EBC Greenstuff on my Audi A6, and they were very good too. Perhaps not as capable under track conditions, but very good for the street.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 11-14-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:55 PM

Obsidian E55
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Yes, lots. First, you should not get confused by a prior "redstuff" that EBC sold a few years ago. The current redstuff is a ceramic pad. The web site that you linked shows the OLD Redstuff pad, which is a track-oriented pad that is NOT ceramic. I've not heard great stuff about those older redstuff pads. Use this link to EBC's web site as a reference, and get the ceramic redstuff pad.

I've had EBC redstuff ceramics on for about a year, and I have used them on the street and on two separate two-day (4 total days) performance driving schools. They performed VERY well. I was very pleased with their performance. No fade despite very hard use on-track. On the street, they are quiet and spew out relatively little dust. One caveat -- they have less initial grab than OEM pads especially when they are cold. So cold stops require a strong pedal. I will be replacing them (with new EBC Reds) very shortly.

Installation note: The rear pads come a tiny bit wide and need to be ground down in order to fit into the rear calipers.

PS: I used EBC Greenstuff on my Audi A6, and they were very good too. Perhaps not as capable under track conditions, but very good for the street.
Thanks for the enlightening comment, only thing im worried about now is that i didnt ask the sales guy wether they were the new ceramic type pads or as you stated the older version ones.
Best bet i guess is to ring tomorrow morning and confirm that i specifficaly want the ceramics and not the others.

Once again thanks for the help
Old 11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
EBC green Pads

I installed Ebc Green stuff a year ago. Just hated to have to clean the Black dust from my Wheels after light street use. So I installed The Green Stuff Pads. I did a 3500 mile trip and they worked well , and Not much dust. I really like them Happy Motoring ___PTE___
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring

good info, thanks for the input...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:03 AM

C32 AMG
Thumbs up Just installed the EBC Red Stuff - all good

Actually just installed (mechanic did, I watched) the EBC Red Stuff - ceramic on the fronts and I must same am quite happy. I've only used them on the street with some hard breaking and they feel very good. I think the initial bite is fairly close to OEM, sometimes it actually feels better than OEM. I'd expect on a track or heavy street use is where they will excel.

Haven't seen any break dust yet so can't comment on that, but that probably means it is less dust than OEM. Additionally haven't tried them in the wet to see what they are like but suggest would be like OEM.

Would definately recommend, I give them as a must as an upgrade. Besides they cost me $230AUD which is about same as OEM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Obsidian E55
Have just been informed by the supplier that yes indeed they are the ceramic pads and that i have a 5 day wait for the rears to become available so ill also give some input late next week when they've been installed.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by andy_cyp
Have just been informed by the supplier that yes indeed they are the ceramic pads and that i have a 5 day wait for the rears to become available so ill also give some input late next week when they've been installed.

My new Redstuff pads came yesterday, and today my low-pad warning light came on! Great timing. This weekend I'll be tackling front rotors and pads. Wish me luck.

I'm going to use Akebono ceramics on the rear, assuming they need to be replaced. Rear brakes are much less important.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 11-15-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:57 PM

Obsidian E55
GL on the install,
please input your initial thoughts after completing,how about upgrading to s/steal braided hoses whilst were there ?? just a thought and surely cant be that expensive.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Install was easy. Literally 45 minutes per side, with a lot of wasted effort including 10 minutes trying to get one rotor detached from the hub (rust-fused). A 25 lb. dumbell did the trick!

I really can't say enough about EBC Redstuff pads. One interesting characteristic. When new, and used for the street, they have good bite, even when cold. But when used at the limits (track use) they become less bitey. Not bad, just less bitey. I had forgotten this, but was reminded after breaking in the new pads. The initial bite is very good.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
just get oem pads..haha