MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
G Tech Pro

What you guys think of this

http://gtechpro.com/
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's very popular. I have used one and would say its fairly accurate in measuring acceleration, but not accurate at all as a "dyno".
Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Very Good Product

I just purchased the G-Tech Pro RR edition three days ago, and I LOVE it. It is very accurate when it comes to acceleration, 0-60 mph, 0-100, 1/4 mile, 0-100-0 breaking, etc... However, it is NOT accurate at all in terms of dyno (unless of course you use it relatively).

I highly recommend this product, it will give you a good idea of your car's performance abilities...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Brabus C55
do they recommend a "two-way-run" on "flat" road to get the most accurate accel times?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I have used this product and I prefer the Laptop dyno. It includes the scanner, which is what I used on your car Victor, as well as Dyno and 0-60.

The only negative is that you need a laptop with a serial port.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Jerry, are you talking about an OBD interface?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
No, it includes the OBDII to Serial interface connector.

The issue I was referring to, was the serial port. I had to use my old laptop because my new one doesn't have a serial port and the USB to serial adapters wouldn't work. I wish it was OBDII to USB. I would love to use my 18" wide screen laptop on that bad boy.

Here is the site. http://www.nology.com/laptopdyno.html
Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
No, it includes the OBDII to Serial interface connector.

The issue I was referring to, was the serial port. I had to use my old laptop because my new one doesn't have a serial port and the USB to serial adapters wouldn't work. I wish it was OBDII to USB. I would love to use my 18" wide screen laptop on that bad boy.

Here is the site. http://www.nology.com/laptopdyno.html
Yeah, I know what you mean by serial port. I was just asking if you were using an OBD tool as your 'laptop dyno.' Are you sure that serial to USB adapters don't work? I've had to deal with this issue for several years when I would use Haltech or AEM EMS on my USB only laptop. I only found a couple adapters that would actually work -- most would not. I'll see if I can dig around my place and find my old adpater.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
Yeah, I know what you mean by serial port. I was just asking if you were using an OBD tool as your 'laptop dyno.' Are you sure that serial to USB adapters don't work? I've had to deal with this issue for several years when I would use Haltech or AEM EMS on my USB only laptop. I only found a couple adapters that would actually work -- most would not. I'll see if I can dig around my place and find my old adpater.

thanks, it would be nice to use it....

Yes, I'm using this as an OBD scan tool too. It works good and gives a lot of detail.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM

2004 E55
If you get a G-Tech pro you better make sure you have a extended warranty I had one years ago and I was always "testing".
Old 12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
G-Tech Pro Accuracy

It is true that for dyno measurements, the G-Tech is NOT as accurate as the nology product, but for acceleration and performance measurements, G-Tech is MUCH MORE accurate. Here is a quick explanation of why? This is a quote from G-Tech's website:

There is a lot of new products that plug into your OBDII (On Board Diagnostics) port and claim to measure horsepower, torque, 1/4 mile etc. We have studied the OBDII protocol and the problem is that OBDII system was designed as a diagnostic tool to be used in a mechanics shop. So things such as timing accuracy and speed of the sensor readings were not critical. But for performance measurements you need exactly those things. So when it comes to measuring performance through OBDII that is a problem. It can be done easily but it's not accurate.

For performance measurements you need acceleration. OBDII devices calculate the acceleration from speed and time. In theory there is nothing wrong with that method but the problem is resolution (how often is the speed updated?) With OBDII it's only a few times per second! So acceleration readings are "choppy" and not accurate.

The best way to get accurate acceleration is to measure it with an accelerometer. GTECH takes 4000 readings per second from each of its x,y and z precision accelerometers!

Of course with G-Tech, you don't really get a scanner. So there is a trade-off. If you're looking for pure performance 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc... G-Tech is way to go. If you're looking for horsepower plots and torque, then G-Tech will NOT help you a bit because their horsepower and torque measurements are WAY OFF.

This link has some more data on G-Tech's accuracy:
http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html
Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 PM

RENNTtech C55
Originally Posted by c32used
What you guys think of this

http://gtechpro.com/
I have one that I bought and used twice.

I have all the paperwork, cd, box everything. Thing is brand new...
If you want I will sell it to you for 1/2 off whatever it is going for... + I will ship it to you for free (next day)

BennyZ
Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Mine seems pretty accurate but I may have gotten lucky. I do like the graphing and charting features. It saves your info and then you can print it out at a later time for review if needed.

You can also monitor IAF temps, timing, O2 Sensors, fuel, throttle position, mass air flow, speed, intake manifold, etc.

It's nice to be able to make a change to your car and see the results real time, then graph them against your previous results to see gains / losses.

I do like the gtech too, but I'm glad that I bought this product because of all the mods I have been doing.

I think you can find the software on the internet (limewire, etc) all you need to buy is the OBD to Serial cable. I think they are like 50 bucks.