C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Engine light on p0442

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:52 PM
mbfan03

Engine light on p0442

today i got a check engine light on p0442

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

where woudl i look for this and how can i fix it.

will this cause the car to run at 1,000rpm all the time even in park or drive standing still?

thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Make sure your gas cap is tight is the place to start.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
The vacuum line from the gas tank runs up to the front of the car, to the purge valve, which then run into one of the vacuum locations on the engine. If there is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will increase. If the sufficient vacuum in the gas tank does not occur, then the P0442 code generated. If the leak is large (no vacuum, then code P0445 occurs.

After the leaky gas cap, the next possibility is the vacuum lines.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
mbfan03

thanks i will check the lines tomm. i changed the purge valve several months ago so i will chekc the lines.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 civic EK hatchback
if you don't have the proper tools it is going to be quite difficult diagnosing this problem. hell even with the proper tools it could still be a pain in the ***. any leak between the intake manifold to the purge valve to the charcoal canister to the gas tank can cause this code. alot of times the charcoal canister leaks but i don't want to say that is the cause of your problem because the car hasn't been properly diagnosed. oh and if you have a vacuum leak in the engine it normally drops your idle and runs like crap. good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:39 PM

S500 coupe
Originally Posted by exit2Ek
if you don't have the proper tools it is going to be quite difficult diagnosing this problem. hell even with the proper tools it could still be a pain in the ***. any leak between the intake manifold to the purge valve to the charcoal canister to the gas tank can cause this code. alot of times the charcoal canister leaks but i don't want to say that is the cause of your problem because the car hasn't been properly diagnosed. oh and if you have a vacuum leak in the engine it normally drops your idle and runs like crap. good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Well I am responding to this rather old post but the problem is the same. I get the low fuel light blinking madly before the CEL comes on. I replaces the gas cap yesterday even though the old one felt ok. Lets see what happens
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM

2002 C32 AMG
purge valve

hi guys sorry for reactivating an old thread (i got a C32 02) but what about the purge valve i read above someone has changed it,why?what happened with ur car to change it?my car is actually suffering from a shaky engine when in idle without rpm fluctuations we hooked a scanner and we got something about the purge valve i observed it and its ticking intermittently (i guess it should be ticking continuously) does it cause such shake behavior?is it related by any way to fault p0410 secondary air injection system?appreciate all the help guys which is indeed needed and btw my water pump isnt in good shape but still hanging although i doubt it may have any thing to do with engine shaking thnx
Old 06-27-2018, 07:20 AM

c32 amg // ex rs4 b5
Hi, I have the light on

Hi, I have the cel on, but the cars run fine. Rpm are normal. 550 rpm in d. 700 in n.
but the light it's on. We checked that vacuum and it apparently good.
Some helpy information?
It's a c32 from 2002.