C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

List all of the significant problems you've had with your C32 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
List all of the significant problems you've had with your C32 AMG

I'm trying to figure out what I should watch for as the milage goes up - the common problems and stuff.

Please list your model year, C32 AMG, the mileage you bought it at, the mileage you have it now, and all the problems you've experienced while owning it.

I do NOT mean like a sunroof rattle or a rock chipped windshield or problems with aftermarket modifications. I mean what stock parts on your E have let you down, and at what mileage did they do so?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by RacerX0911
Please list your model year, C32 AMG, the mileage you bought it at, the mileage you have it now, and all the problems you've experienced while owning it.
Why ? because u're too lazy to search ?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 360_iti
Why ? because u're too lazy to search ?
i came up dry and i want to make one forum where everyone can check for this...if there is already something like this let me know...
Old 01-15-2007, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I posted a thread with waranty work done and I think you put a comment on it. I bought the car with 42300k and it seemed fine til warranty work popped up. I don't know if prior owner had problems but the car fax report came out clean. I read the bulletins in this forum and definitely thought if I were to buy one that it would need an extended warranty mandatory. Funny cause I bought a very used 95 Lexus ES300 and spent not even a fraction to what I have spent already on this MB. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the car but hate the fact that things are breaking down on it.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not stock.
newer mercedes seem to have many many week links appart from engine & tranny which thankgod they are still pretty strong.... you think the C-class breaks down too much??? dont ever try on buying an old SLK then.. you will want to burn it.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
just hit 20k miles . . . no issues yet.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by c32used
I posted a thread with waranty work done and I think you put a comment on it. I bought the car with 42300k and it seemed fine til warranty work popped up. I don't know if prior owner had problems but the car fax report came out clean. I read the bulletins in this forum and definitely thought if I were to buy one that it would need an extended warranty mandatory. Funny cause I bought a very used 95 Lexus ES300 and spent not even a fraction to what I have spent already on this MB. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the car but hate the fact that things are breaking down on it.
yeah i read your thread... we have had lexus and BMW all our life and never a benz...and im a big fan so i cant really wait untill i find the right C32!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:20 PM

how many problems have you guys encountered after the 50K mile warranty is up?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 PM

02' Audi A4 1.8TQM
Its the German's, beautiful design and concept, too many parts that can break. Looking to move out of the Audi for that reason, i just may be opening up another can of worms with a C32. Oh well, love that German engineering!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by GTOrleans
Its the German's, beautiful design and concept, too many parts that can break. Looking to move out of the Audi for that reason, i just may be opening up another can of worms with a C32. Oh well, love that German engineering!
I went from Audi to Mercedes, and while it's not scientific, I think Mercedes is less expensive to own and repair. My A6 had an average of about $2,000 in repairs each year, including bad steering rack, coolant pump, and lots of other little junk. When the transmission went south, that $2,000/year average went way up! My experience was virtually identical to other A6 owners' experiences (other than the tranny), and it clearly indicated a number of engineering and design flaws.

Based on what I've seen, Benz has a far simpler, more cohesive engineering package. There are weak spots but they are not things that will always fail, and they are fewer than my Audi. Just open the hood and check out the plumbing, and you can see that Benz employs more "holistic" engineering while Audi is more "ad hoc" adding pumps and hoses and solenoids here and there. My old 2.7T motor was a monster, but the more I knew about it, the less I slept. Many, many things to fail.

The C32 has a few known weaknesses. Front control arm bushings fail, making noises. This is a VERY regular problem, as early as 30K. The intercooler pump fails (cheap fix if you're handy) at about 50K. Some radiators (Valeo brand) leak into the transmission cooler. There's a test that I would insist on before buying a Valeo-equipped C32.

I've owned my 2002 for about 18 months and other than control arm bushings, it's been perfect.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 01-23-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 PM

as long as everything happens before the 50K i wouldnt mind...is it possible to get these problems addressed before they really go out...kinda like fakin it...so its covered under warranty!
(man i sound cheap)
Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM

would it be true that a higher miled car might have everything fixed? like around 65K miles?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:04 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
how many problems have you guys encountered after the 50K mile warranty is up?
hey guys!

i have a 2003 C32 at the current time its has 44000K and there has only been one major problem and some little ones.

the major one was

- the trani would just cut out the power to the car when the car warmed up, (when ur crusing down the road and the car is working good and u can take off the line &/or in motion but after the car warmed up it lost the power so there was no pull at all) it took the dealer about 3 weeks to get it up and running. no cost to me because it was under warranty it happened at around 38000K

rest were

- i have had the climate control units motor mess up on me, the dealer replace the fan blower motor and the replace the vent doors
- i just recurrently saw a build up of battery acid around the battery so most likely that is going to be replaced and repair all the damage it may have caused.
- the car rear wheel are rubbing due to the offset in the back being off. the dealer has not been able to fix that problem yet.

other then that its been running like a charm, my car has the extended warranty though.

i'm just really picky about my car so i dont do mods that void the warranty and dont put in parts in my car that have not really been researched well and or test. to void all problems.
they way i look at it the car has a lot of power ur faster then 90% of everyday cars on the road, and if u know how to drive the other 10% cant loose u, u may fall behind on a straight stretch but not by much.

hope this info helped good hunting

Last edited by Harry Madan; 01-23-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Madan
hey guys!

i have a 2003 C32 at the current time its has 44000K and there has only been one major problem and some little ones.

the major one was

- the trani would just cut out the power to the car when the car warmed up, (when ur crusing down the road and the car is working good and u can take off the line &/or in motion but after the car warmed up it lost the power so there was no pull at all) it took the dealer about 3 weeks to get it up and running. no cost to me because it was under warranty it happened at around 38000K

rest were

- i have had the climate control units motor mess up on me, the dealer replace the fan blower motor and the replace the vent doors
- i just recurrently saw a build up of battery acid around the battery so most likely that is going to be replaced and repair all the damage it may have caused.
- the car rear wheel are rubbing due to the offset in the back being off. the dealer has not been able to fix that problem yet.

other then that its been running like a charm, my car has the extended warranty though.

i'm just really picky about my car so i dont do mods that void the warranty and dont put in parts in my car that have not really been researched well and or test. to void all problems.
they way i look at it the car has a lot of power ur faster then 90% of everyday cars on the road, and if u know how to drive the other 10% cant loose u, u may fall behind on a straight stretch but not by much.

hope this info helped good hunting
tru...maybe i can find myself a 02 or 03 with the extended...this way i dont have to go thru the dealer...

is the warranty transferable?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:23 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
tru...maybe i can find myself a 02 or 03 with the extended...this way i dont have to go thru the dealer...

is the warranty transferable?
hey the warranty is transferable only if the warranty is already on the car, you as an individual buying a used car can no longer get extended warranty. but if u find someone that has a C32 that is currently under warranty but does not have extended warranty. make the current owner buy the warranty before he transfers the car under your name. if u are serious about buying the car u can pay for the warranty up front when u buy the car.