C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Audi S8 anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
Audi S8 anyone?

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while, glad to see everyone is doing ok!
It feels like spring in Chicago for the past 2 days and I almost ready to put back on my summer tires. It's also time for another upgrade/mod bug attack (l bravely fought the last one with some success).

I never thought I would say that but I've been entertaining an idea of switching to non-AMG cars recently. I know it's a sin yet I can't get rid of the feeling that with the passing of E55 we came to the end of the whole era of AMG or AMG as it was always known for - TORQUE MONSTER! For me E55 was and still is an iconic car that I desire and will desire for years to come. Yet every time I ask myself if I want to commit to E55 right now I can't feel the same level of excitement I always felt, something is missing and I can't quite figure out what. I test drove one (finally!) recently back to back with E63 and it didn't take my breath away as I thought it would. Besides it seemed that compared to E63 it felt a bit lost. I was crushed! It was like meeting the girl of your dreams and realizing that dreams and reality have little in common!
Anyway, with E55/63 out of the picture there are still a couple of options in AMG line up: CLS55/63, S63 or CL63. Even though CLS is more modern that E it doesn't do anything to me and S and CL are simply too expensive.
If you look outside AMG line up than the first thing that comes to mind are M5 and M6 but I don't want SMG or manual plus I'd like to have something with more luxury feel.

That's why I was suprised to stumble accross new S8. It's not as massive as regular A8L - it's actualy shorter, beautiful V10 with plenty of power - 450 HP, gorgeous on the inside, a bit understated on the outside and the best part is - fully loaded minus distronic is about $110K. That will also buy you Bang Olefson audio system ($6300 but IMO worth every penny of it) - the sound is unreal, you wont believe it untill you hear it. I also have to add that it combines luxury and power in a way that really does it to me in a BIG way.

Sorry for such a lenghty thread, just wanted to let you know how I got to the point of considering S8.
Your comments please.
Take care,
Eugene
Old 02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
S8 is a great car.
Good bye, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. LOL.
J/K.
I had to decide between the S8 and my CLS63. Price was obviously the same. The wow factor of the S8 is about the same as a fancy dinette set. It beats the CLS in the handling, electronic and sound department. But when it comes to power, looks, braking, and wow factor (pu$$y magnet) there is no competition.
If you're torque hungry maybe a CLS55 (there are still a couple of new ones) ?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by eugeneC55
Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while, glad to see everyone is doing ok!
It feels like spring in Chicago for the past 2 days and I almost ready to put back on my summer tires. It's also time for another upgrade/mod bug attack (l bravely fought the last one with some success).

I never thought I would say that but I've been entertaining an idea of switching to non-AMG cars recently. I know it's a sin yet I can't get rid of the feeling that with the passing of E55 we came to the end of the whole era of AMG or AMG as it was always known for - TORQUE MONSTER! For me E55 was and still is an iconic car that I desire and will desire for years to come. Yet every time I ask myself if I want to commit to E55 right now I can't feel the same level of excitement I always felt, something is missing and I can't quite figure out what. I test drove one (finally!) recently back to back with E63 and it didn't take my breath away as I thought it would. Besides it seemed that compared to E63 it felt a bit lost. I was crushed! It was like meeting the girl of your dreams and realizing that dreams and reality have little in common!
Anyway, with E55/63 out of the picture there are still a couple of options in AMG line up: CLS55/63, S63 or CL63. Even though CLS is more modern that E it doesn't do anything to me and S and CL are simply too expensive.
If you look outside AMG line up than the first thing that comes to mind are M5 and M6 but I don't want SMG or manual plus I'd like to have something with more luxury feel.

That's why I was suprised to stumble accross new S8. It's not as massive as regular A8L - it's actualy shorter, beautiful V10 with plenty of power - 450 HP, gorgeous on the inside, a bit understated on the outside and the best part is - fully loaded minus distronic is about $110K. That will also buy you Bang Olefson audio system ($6300 but IMO worth every penny of it) - the sound is unreal, you wont believe it untill you hear it. I also have to add that it combines luxury and power in a way that really does it to me in a BIG way.

Sorry for such a lenghty thread, just wanted to let you know how I got to the point of considering S8.
Your comments please.
Take care,
Eugene
I just saw a review of it. Apparently, it's a bit of a "cruiser" and not as sporty as the S6, which makes it more like the big Benz. Nobody does luxury interiors nicer than Audi. And of course there's the AWD. If I wanted a big car, in that price range, it would be the Audi A8 or S8. Isn't there also a W12 version (using the engine also used in the Bentley)?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Based on your description it sounds like you're lookin for a CLS 55/63. The big E is gettin dated looking IMO and the CLS is just dead sexy with the ***** to back it. It's all subjective, but if I was in the market right now I would jump on a CLS55.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
May be it is just me.

But being able to slide a car in every other corner at my will and command, counts to me more than anything else.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
S8 is a very good choice but.. If i were you, I'll go with a CLS55. It's.. just more fun with a supercharger
Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM

W221
You all bring good points about agility of C32/C55, incredible torque and looks of CLS55. But look at this situation from different perspective: due to my work I drive a lot (about 30K miles a year) and big chunk of it comes from highway driving. I don't track my car and being on the highway most of the time I would like to have more luxury and cruising abilities in my car compare to cornering and agility. It's just simple - going 99% of my usual trip on a straight line I might as well enjoy music and driving in ultimate comfort. Man, I'm getting OLD!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
why not m5, i know it's not really the same class car
but it's so sexy
Old 02-21-2007, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
To be honest, if I had to buy an Audi, S8 might be the only model I'd get. And that is if I were 50yr old today.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 PM

C32 AMG
Not so long ago I had short but eventfull encounter w/ S8. IMO great car.
I did short sprint w/ him stop lite. S8 MOVES. quick as hell. I posted details in kill section.

https://mbworld.org/forums/kill-stories/178253-short-run-w-audi-s8.html

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to sit in one or drive one yet.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 PM

2005 Silver C55, 2008 Ducati 1098
I agree that the audis are nice but there interiors sucka fatty. I have a friend with an 02 A4 and the paint (or whatever it is) is peeling. I test drove an 05 S4 same problem but it was worse. I just think they need to do something with there interiors and they would be good cars. But I think I would still stick with AMG cause when i drove the S4 and C55 the C seemed a lot more responsive and just better all around car.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 PM

W221
Originally Posted by jacek9478
Not so long ago I had short but eventfull encounter w/ S8. IMO great car.
I did short sprint w/ him stop lite. S8 MOVES. quick as hell. I posted details in kill section.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178253

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to sit in one or drive one yet.
You should join us for the next Chicago meet! BTW, I work in Skokie and pass Des Plains sometimes during the day. Let me know if you want to meet up one of these days.
S8 is a totally different animal from our cars, I agree with 'absent' comment that it's a bit underpowered but then what esle in this class and price range has 450 HP and almost 400 lb ft of tourque? I also like the stealth factor.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM

W221
Originally Posted by Versace1230
I agree that the audis are nice but there interiors sucka fatty. I have a friend with an 02 A4 and the paint (or whatever it is) is peeling. I test drove an 05 S4 same problem but it was worse. I just think they need to do something with there interiors and they would be good cars. But I think I would still stick with AMG cause when i drove the S4 and C55 the C seemed a lot more responsive and just better all around car.
You might be surprised with this S8 interior - for me there is no comparison between it and S550 or BMW 750. It feels just right, I guess it' very subjective but that's the best way to describe it. It doesn't feel like you sit in some old person's car. You feel that you belong there - sporty yet very classy.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM

C32 AMG
You should join us for the next Chicago meet! BTW, I work in Skokie and pass Des Plains sometimes during the day. Let me know if you want to meet up one of these days.
S8 is a totally different animal from our cars, I agree with 'absent' comment that it's a bit underpowered but then what esle in this class and price range has 450 HP and almost 400 lb ft of tourque? I also like the stealth factor.
I can not wait for a meet. I missed one last year. Didn't know of this forum. Couple of weeks ago AMGJerry, C32used and some other guy were discussing organizing another meet when gets warmer.
And b4 meet happens I've got to get my car detailed- looks realy crapy after winter abuse.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS63 AMG
... or wait for the BMW Alpina B7! That is what I am waiting for.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
S8 is beautiful. I wouldn't mind taking one over the CLS55 or E55 even if it comes in at less HP with less performance.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 PM

The only thing that S8 is missing is the LED front light from S6!!

sorry off topic
when will Audi R8 be launched in the US?

mike
Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by mike82y

sorry off topic

mike
I don't know but should be soon. My dealer is supposed to call a week before mine arrives. I can't wait one more minute. Maybe I'll freeze myself and then .. LOL (Southpark reference in case you missed it)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by Versace1230
Some of the the earlier A4s had peeling issues due to "rubberizing" the buttons for a better feel than plastics. I believe the w203 also had peeling issues with the arm rest. But that problem on the A4s/S4s now have been corrected in the current body style.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 AM

W221
Originally Posted by trezaei
I don't know but should be soon. My dealer is supposed to call a week before mine arrives. I can't wait one more minute. Maybe I'll freeze myself and then .. LOL (Southpark reference in case you missed it)
I was under impression that R8 will be around $80K but was told at the dealership that it's acually closer to 120?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:08 AM

W221
Originally Posted by mike82y

sorry off topic

mike
Funny you should mention these LED front lights - I also think they look fantastic and should be on S8. I actually like S6 alot but it looks a bit feminine.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Funny you should mention these LED front lights - I also think they look fantastic and should be on S8. I actually like S6 alot but it looks a bit feminine.
Wait for the RS6. Pumped up wheel arches, far superior brakes and suspension and 550+bhp.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM

W221
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Wait for the RS6. Pumped up wheel arches, far superior brakes and suspension and 550+bhp.
You hit it right in the eye! RS6 is what I really would like to consider but it seems that it wont be out for another 1,5-2 years. It just happened that when I stopped at dealership to ask about RS6 they had 3 S8 with different color combos, 2 S6 and RS4. Out of these 3 cars S8 just felt right. I only test drove S8 and can't speak about RS4 and S6 performance but S6 looks too soft from side and rear and I don't think RS4 will be such an upgrade from C55, especially in luxury department. IF (and it's a big if) I part with AMGs I want it to be for a totally different animal. I also hope for a 63TT setup in new E, but it seems it wont be out for another 2-3 years?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
You hit it right in the eye! RS6 is what I really would like to consider but it seems that it wont be out for another 1,5-2 years. It just happened that when I stopped at dealership to ask about RS6 they had 3 S8 with different color combos, 2 S6 and RS4. Out of these 3 cars S8 just felt right. I only test drove S8 and can't speak about RS4 and S6 performance but S6 looks too soft from side and rear and I don't think RS4 will be such an upgrade from C55, especially in luxury department. IF (and it's a big if) I part with AMGs I want it to be for a totally different animal. I also hope for a 63TT setup in new E, but it seems it wont be out for another 2-3 years?
The 63TT is an "if" it comes and 2-3 years is a long way away. Also, its going to put more power to the *rear* wheels than i'd feel comfortable with.

The RS6 will be here within the next 12 months for sure. I'm just witing for the word so I can put down my deposit and I've done a lot of research. Whether they go V8 or V10 is still a big question mark though. It certainly isn't two years away you'll be glad to know- it would be too near the the end of the A6 chassis cycle and Audi have changed there former policy of saving the best for a run out model.

I know what you're saying about the S6. I prefer the look of the S8 but it's one hell of a big car (too big, imo) and the price for that is paid in the handling department.

As regards the RS4, I know what your saying. It is a far more focused car (NA V8 revving to 8,250, 8-piston brakes, stick) than the C55 but is not a step up at all in terms of luxury or refinement. My dealer in Van Nuys calls me every time they get one in. They initially tried to get 5k over list then we agreed on list but I still can't justify the cost of the trade
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
You'll miss the low end torque if you get a car other than the AMG's..
I just got an M6 recently, and i gotta say that C55 "feels" faster than M6 before 4000RPM.. is it really faster? i dont know.. never actually tested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi S8 anyone?