Porting, Polishing, and Cams project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
BTW Jerry, just now looked at the pic of the SS exhaust piping, looks very nice...
Thanks!

Originally Posted by relee02135
looks very nice! how much did the SS piping cost and who is it from?
It is from a local shop and they charge by the hour. I'll let you know the total next week.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:31 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
I wonder how accurate those things are. It clipped on to the end of the tail pipe. I wondering if there was enough back pressure to actually bring in some oxygen, would it throw the readings off? I can't imagine that it would...

I have decided to drop the car off tomorrow instead of early next week. If MB can have the head off by Monday afternoon, then I'm almost certain I will have the car back before the meet.

in my experience, unless they are brand new, they are usually not very accurate(the ones they use on the dyno)...even then, they will sometimes not pick up accurate readings because of the way they clip into the exhaust...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
At the dyno room in San Jose, they pull out one of the front O2 sensors and replace with the wideband O2 sensor on the dyno. The tailpipe monitor is normally way off. We would really like to have the O2 sensor monitor , before the CAT.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by m444
At the dyno room in San Jose, they pull out one of the front O2 sensors and replace with the wideband O2 sensor on the dyno. The tailpipe monitor is normally way off. We would really like to have the O2 sensor monitor , before the CAT.
Ah, man it's been a while since I've done wb02 tuning on a dyno. Yeah, all the cars I previously worked with didnt HAVE cats, so that was never an issue. The only reason we would tap higher up in the exhaust was to avoid the propagation delay.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by m444

right, at the dyno that i use, they actually weld in a new 02 bung before the cats so that they can get accurate readings....
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM
SPONSOR

Jerry, just so you know...when i do the cams on my car, i am going to put all new hardware in there, mainly because my car has 106,000 miles on it, and it will be a good safety precaution...

you probably don't have enough miles on your car to worry about this...
Old 03-30-2007, 11:53 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Jerry, just so you know...when i do the cams on my car, i am going to put all new hardware in there, mainly because my car has 106,000 miles on it, and it will be a good safety precaution...

you probably don't have enough miles on your car to worry about this...
I'm at 49.5K.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
This will be one monster C32!!!!

Wow Jerry!!!!
This will be on MONSTEROUS C32...
I think you're on your way to reach the 500 hp mark...
Thanks for sharing and good luck on your project...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:47 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
What do you guys think of this? (See Pic)

Watch this video.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Media/WRXVideo.wmv

Here is more info.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php
Attached Thumbnails Porting, Polishing, and Cams project-qtp.jpg  

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.com; 03-30-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32

Here is more info.

I think that they're sh*t. The C32 sounds AWFUL with an open exhaust. I would never want to go full throttle with that thing.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 PM
SPONSOR

Here is more info.

did you already do this? i would not do it...

1. electric cut-outs are notoriously unreliable, the motors are constantly failing because they can not take the heat produced by the exhaust, especially in a F/I application...

2. since our cars have to have a learning curve in order to take advantage of any gains, you would have to drive around with them open for quite a while in order to realize the full potential...

there is more i could say, but those are the 2 main reasons why i would not do it on this particular car...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:58 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
I think that they're sh*t. The C32 sounds AWFUL with an open exhaust. I would never want to go full throttle with that thing.

My car sounded like poop too. I wonder if there would be any power gains.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
did you already do this? i would not do it...

1. electric cut-outs are notoriously unreliable, the motors are constantly failing because they can not take the heat produced by the exhaust, especially in a F/I application...

2. since our cars have to have a learning curve in order to take advantage of any gains, you would have to drive around with them open for quite a while in order to realize the full potential...

there is more i could say, but those are the 2 main reasons why i would not do it on this particular car...
No, the pic is of an E55 and they had reported power gains of 20-25 Whp on a dyno dynamics dyno.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I bet the V8 sounds more acceptable without the muffler. When I did my exhaust tuning exploration, I only drove the car around for like 5 miles between each configuration before I hit the dyno again. I wish I put more miles on so that we had better info.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
I bet the V8 sounds more acceptable without the muffler. When I did my exhaust tuning exploration, I only drove the car around for like 5 miles between each configuration before I hit the dyno again. I wish I put more miles on so that we had better info.
Don't forget that this would force the sound to bounce off the ground and create a different sound than coming out the back.

When you did your car, did you go through the muffler or open pipes?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM
SPONSOR

No, the pic is of an E55 and they had reported power gains of 20-25 Whp on a dyno dynamics dyno.

that does not surprise me at all on the E55...they seemed to be a lot more restricted than our C32...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Also... did you watch the WRX video above?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 PM
SPONSOR

Also... did you watch the WRX video above?

yup, why?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
yup, why?
I edited the post and added it afterwards...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
When you did your car, did you go through the muffler or open pipes?
I went like this

-dyno pull
-remove rear cats, then drive a few miles
-dyno pull
-remove front cats (rears still out), then drive a few miles
-dyno pull

with all 4 cats out the car sounded absolutely horrible. The most I saw was a 4ftlb torque gain in mid range with all 4 cats out, but both my peak hp/tq decreased. I saw nothin with just the 2 rears out.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
I went like this

-dyno pull
-remove rear cats, then drive a few miles
-dyno pull
-remove front cats (rears still out), then drive a few miles
-dyno pull

with all 4 cats out the car sounded absolutely horrible. The most I saw was a 4ftlb torque gain in mid range with all 4 cats out, but both my peak hp/tq decreased. I saw nothin with just the 2 rears out.
Yeah, the car sounded like is was vomiting on the road. I put my stock muffler back on, but I left the Aero resonator in place and it sounds good now. The resonator removed the negative tones that you get with only two cats. It is an open resonator, so the exhaust is still loud. If you hate the mid range tones, then buy the $100 aero resonator....you can hear mine at the meet.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Well then, it sounds like funds are not limiting you, which is always a good thing when you go at a project like this. Acouple of points/things if you have the money:

1. See if ANYONE makes, or call some manufactures like Manley, UNDERCUT valves. That is, they cut away some material right at the head of the valve. This alone can often improve flow by about 15%. These are sometimes refered to a TULIP valves.
2. When you change cams, make sure that the new lift/duration will work with the stock valve springs. Otherwise they could float. A condition you DO NOT want, trust me. Depending on the cam profile you may have to change the springs ie increase the spring rate.
3. Look carefully at the intercooler. I have never had my hands on one, so I am just using past knowledge/experience here on other brands. Check carefully at the ports, and ANY casting marks left over. A SMALL improvement could be made here by cleaning them up. It won't make a BIG difference, however every little bit helps.

Sounds like you should have one KILLER AMG when your done.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK

PS: I blow a head gasket on my blown stang becsue of an aging fuel pump. It dropped pressure/flow, a little spark rattle later, and ONE GIANT CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE.

See yeah
unless stock springs are marginal my guess is the relatively small increase in lift and duration will be fine as the max rpm will not change. tuners like MKB have ecus that take rpms to 6400 w/o need for spring change. our motors do have greater rotating mass d/t the sohc arrangement tho. do we run stock c320 valve springs or was that one of the items upgraded by the amg boys??? I know the cam is hollow, crank, pistons all hi po.

Jerry, i appreciate your efforts. reminds me of former member Pierre32///AMG ~ 2 yrs ago.

i will email you my dyno (did it last week) (pdf can't load to site) i made 350 rwhp and i think there is more to come. i can't say enough good things about my supersprint exhaust but i know this is a matter of personal taste.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by AWDman
unless stock springs are marginal my guess is the relatively small increase in lift and duration will be fine as the max rpm will not change. tuners like MKB have ecus that take rpms to 6400 w/o need for spring change. our motors do have greater rotating mass d/t the sohc arrangement tho. do we run stock c320 valve springs or was that one of the items upgraded by the amg boys??? I know the cam is hollow, crank, pistons all hi po.

Jerry, i appreciate your efforts. reminds me of former member Pierre32///AMG ~ 2 yrs ago.

i will email you my dyno (did it last week) (pdf can't load to site) i made 350 rwhp and i think there is more to come. i can't say enough good things about my supersprint exhaust but i know this is a matter of personal taste.

Anytime! Let's hope for the best with this mod.

I dropped the car off this morning...

my email is jerryt@neo-velocity.com
Old 03-31-2007, 05:46 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i thought u were gonna sell the car? lol

keep us posted on the tunings
Old 03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by AWDman
do we run stock c320 valve springs or was that one of the items upgraded by the amg boys??? I know the cam is hollow, crank, pistons all hi po.
the c320 and c32 motors share nothing except exhaust manifolds

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porting, Polishing, and Cams project