Another Blower cut out route

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Another Blower cut out route

Okay guys, just got my toy back from Rahal's Motorcar. What I thought, and most of you have been posting as well, WASN'T the I/C pump after all. According to Francis, the cheif Mercedes mechanic at Rahal's, numerous AMG's have been having problems with there " Air injection pump, MB part #203-835-01-64" When this part starts to go, it stops injecting air into the cats, causing a rise in temperature, which in turn DOES NOT ALLOW the blower to ingage.
This is why my car, and alot on this site, have NO POWER after they get hot. Some of you out there might want to look into this BEFORE replacing the I/C pump.

Oh yeah, my toy only had 16,700 mile on her.

See yeah
Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Sorry, but air injection pump has nothing to do with blower. It only comes on during start-up when the car is at idle, during both of these event blower is turned-off anyway.

Get more details, there is something missing in his explanation.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Vadim - SoCal
Sorry, but air injection pump has nothing to do with blower. It only comes on during start-up when the car is at idle, during both of these event blower is turned-off anyway.

Hi there.

I know the air injector pumps has nothing to do with the blower, however, atleast on My mustang, camaro, and BMW, it did work, ie pump air into the cats via a metal tube welded onto them, to cool the cats. If this pump fails, atleast on the forementioned cars, the cats would eventualy catch on fire, and or plug due to overheating.

Francis explanation is/was that once the cats get too hot, the OB2 sees this via the oxygen sensor and shuts down the blower due to TOO hot of exhaust gas, ie the O2 sensor.

Atleast it sounded good, because my blower does not like to engage after a long drive, ie interstate.

I will crawl under the C32 this afternoon to see if the cats do have this air injector on them, or if he was me.

Thanks for the help as I am new with Mercedes and every bit helps

See yeah
Old 03-31-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Vadim - SoCal

Hey couldn't wait. I crawled under the C32 just now, and guess what, " NO AIR INJECTION ON THE CATS" sounds like I need another Mercedes dealer as Francis is obviously a complete

Thanks for the help, to be continued

See yeah
Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
The air injection is not there to cool the cats.

The air injection is for supplying O2, to burn off excess hydrocarbons. The cats assist this chemical reaction and require a high temperature, to activate the reaction.

If there is too much or too little oxygen, the reaction is not optimum. The air pump is only there to heat up the catalytic converter quicker, when the engine is cold.

Last edited by m444; 03-31-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350

The air injection is for supplying O2, to burn off excess hydrocarbons. The cats assist this chemical reaction and require a high temperature, to activate the reaction.

If there is too much or too little oxygen, the reaction is not optimum. The air pump is only there to heat up the catalytic converter quicker, when the engine is cold.
Precisely!!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by m444

Okany, you guys are right and Francis was/is wrong

After a long talk with him, and his manger at Rahal Mercedes, their service department still assures me that this Air pump, can and does affect the Blower engaging. The car goes in tomorrow and I will pick her up on Wednesday.

I will let you know if it worked.

I agree with your info about the air pump on the C32, but on my Ford and Chevy there is a metal air tube that feeds air into the secondary cats, but it is NOT for cooling as you pointed out.

THANKS GUYS and wish me luck

See yeah
Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=MRAMG1;2115714]Okany, you guys are right and Francis was/is wrong

Okay, I picked her up tonight. Drivers seat bottom heats again, and matches perfectly. Inner fender liner was replaced, fell out during a long trip

And guess what, THE BLOWER WORKED ALL THE WAY HOME. I have NO idea how an emision piece such as the air pump can cause the blower to shut off, BUT IT DID. Granted it was cold here in Pittsburgh today 40 degrees.

I will try it again on a warmer night. Talk to you later, Europe calls

See Yeah
Old 05-04-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Round 2 at the Mercedes dealer:

Guess what, after having a LONG a-- chewing with the service manager, I met with the mechanic. After explaining the condition I was having, ie blower cut out when warm, he agreed and did replace the I/C pump.

It would be nice if Mercedes would at least train their employees!

Many memebers here have WAY more knowledge then the damm service men.

Oh well, thanks for the help Vadin, and others!!!

See yeah

Oh yeah, withe the new pump, I took out 2 local Chrysler SRT's. They were both good races, but I won by about 1 1/2 car lengths. Enough to be a clean win
Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Round 2 at the Mercedes dealer:

Guess what, after having a LONG a-- chewing with the service manager, I met with the mechanic. After explaining the condition I was having, ie blower cut out when warm, he agreed and did replace the I/C pump.

It would be nice if Mercedes would at least train their employees!

Many memebers here have WAY more knowledge then the damm service men.

Oh well, thanks for the help Vadin, and others!!!

See yeah

Oh yeah, withe the new pump, I took out 2 local Chrysler SRT's. They were both good races, but I won by about 1 1/2 car lengths. Enough to be a clean win
Sorry bro, but most MB techs are good parts changers, and nothing more.

What did this cost you out of pocket?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Sorry bro, but most MB techs are good parts changers, and nothing more.

What did this cost you out of pocket?
Luckily still under warenty

Dealer even gave me a free renter while I waited. They mean well, just have NO knowledge base. I should introduce them to this web site

Atleast I will be ready for Nelson Ledges on the 12th

See yeah
Old 05-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Good Luck at Nelson Ledges!!!!

This what we are here for!