C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

First post... introduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Audi S4... hoping to get an AMG soon
First post... introduction

Just wanted to say hello to all on the boards. I've been lurking for quite some time now and finally decided to register. I've been on countless car forums and found this place through a friend TJ.

My name is Leif, and I'm an addict.

Currently in a 02 B5 S4 that's coming up on a balloon (that I can sell since the balloon is less than what I can unload the car for) and looking to getting into a 03 or 04 C32 through a straight finance since I've got a bit saved up for a downpayment.

Is there anything I need to look for that goes wrong on these cars? What is the "achilles heel" on the C32? For the S4 it was the anemic turbos and faulty Y boot that kept going out. For my 99 Cobra it was weak drive shafts.

Thanks again guys and keep up the good posting!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG, 1997 C5 Corvette (sold)
Welcome to the forum. I'm a new owner of an '02 C32 myself and somewhat new to this forum as well. From what I have found through research so far, I would say the number one things to look out for on the C32's is the bad radiator (Valeo) issue causing glycol contamination in the transmission. Also the other thing is the Intercooler Circulation Pump going bad, where there is a cheap fix by going with a Ford Ligthning Pump with some minor modifications. Hope this helps. Perhaps the more senior members here will have more to add.
Good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!

check out C32life.com

it is a great website that has a lot of info in the faq section about the C32...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by FQC32
Welcome to the forum. I'm a new owner of an '02 C32 myself and somewhat new to this forum as well. From what I have found through research so far, I would say the number one things to look out for on the C32's is the bad radiator (Valeo) issue causing glycol contamination in the transmission. Also the other thing is the Intercooler Circulation Pump going bad, where there is a cheap fix by going with a Ford Ligthning Pump with some minor modifications. Hope this helps. Perhaps the more senior members here will have more to add.
Good luck.
Valeo is only an issue on the 02's, I believe all 03 an 04's have either a good valeo or behr radiator. 40k miles = intercooler pump failure from what I hear, but that's a $90ish part on ebay and a couple hour install. Best thing is get one with a warranty in case any issues come up. It likes to go fast too.

Welcome Leif!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
Valeo is only an issue on the 02's, I believe all 03 an 04's have either a good valeo or behr radiator. 40k miles = intercooler pump failure from what I hear, but that's a $90ish part on ebay and a couple hour install. Best thing is get one with a warranty in case any issues come up. It likes to go fast too.

Welcome Leif!
Not true. All years have the possibility of having the bad Valeo. My 2004 did.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by jgsx
Not true. All years have the possibility of having the bad Valeo. My 2004 did.
Didn't know that, from what i read it was only the cars produced before like September 02 ? Nevermind then, that ended up being a $250 radiator (how much my Behr costed). I don't know if mine was bad or whatnot, but I replaced it anyway just to be safe.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I bought a 2002 C32 in 2005, replacing an Audi A6 2.7T. The C32 has a couple of known issues (radiator, control arm bushings) but I think you'll find it much less finicky than an S4. Some folks here have issues with occassional jerky shifting with the automatic. Compared to how my Audi automatic shifted (jerky/sloppy) the Benz transmission is fantastic. Overall, I just sense that the Benz drivetrain is engineered more carefully and conservatively, and ends up being a more stable, integrated unit.

With my Audi (esp. the turbo plumbing and electronics) I felt like it was a Rube Goldberg contraption with a multitude of inter-dependent systems with hoses, wires, solenoids, computers and hardware stuck on and connected like the wiring behind my entertainment system at home! When it worked, it was a masterpiece, but the stress level was high.

The two things I miss are the awesome Audi interior and the AWD. Also, the 2.7T could be "tuned" for another 60HP by buying a $500 chip. To get another 60HP out of a C32, you need to invest about $3,500. Of course, you're starting with 350HP!

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 04-11-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Oh another thing to note that you'll be missing is traction, I bet the all wheel drive on the Audi gets much better traction than the C32 which doesn't have a Limited Slip Differential, don't know what bright engineer at Mercedes said "Let's make a 350 HP car without LSD"
Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 AM

The AWD thing will be a little odd. I've owned 3 AWD cars in my life and I love the "scoot" factor of being able to rip it off the line.

Then again the fun factor of RWD is always a blast. I will have to curtail my bad weather driving (snow and sleet and doing 70 on the freeway).

Taken this morning after a six hour zaino session last night:

Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Leif
The AWD thing will be a little odd. I've owned 3 AWD cars in my life and I love the "scoot" factor of being able to rip it off the line.

Then again the fun factor of RWD is always a blast. I will have to curtail my bad weather driving (snow and sleet and doing 70 on the freeway).

Taken this morning after a six hour zaino session last night:

Is the S4 a tiptronic or 6 speed?

Adjustment to RWD was not too bad for me. It makes for more fun on track. On dry roads, I always turn the ESP (traction control) "off" because it really kicks in a lot and it uses brakes and cuts throttle, so you can actually find yourself hung out in an intersection. In the rain, I wouldn't drive 100 feet without the ESP "on."
Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=Fifth Ring;2134134]Is the S4 a tiptronic or 6 speed?
QUOTE]

6 speed... 2002, 70k miles, transferrable CPO warr until sometime in '08.

I had a pretty heavily modded 99 cobra convertible before my S4 and loved the RWD. Scary for the passenger but fun for the driver.