C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

are new IC pumps silent ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
are new IC pumps silent ?

Just got my IC pump replaced by the stealer under warranty...... the car performs better, but the IC pump makes no noise. My car is late 02, and I thought that the IC pump ran all the time with 02s. But even after giving it some, I can't hear the pump if I go listen at the bumper, and I also can;t hear it run after the ignition is turned off for 5 secs like I thought it was supposed to.

Anyway, driving home from the stealer, I pulled up next to a black EVO8 with an exhaust ...... what luck. I got the jump on him by a car length off the line, and up to only about 50, and then we slow down for a round about, we come out even of the roundabout together, and then it was amazing how we were EXACTLy equal up until about 160kmh, when I backed off.

So I guess the IC pump is actually working

The engine is still completly stock.... pullies etc are going on in the next week or so.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 AM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by steve_bris
Just got my IC pump replaced by the stealer under warranty...... the car performs better, but the IC pump makes no noise. My car is late 02, and I thought that the IC pump ran all the time with 02s. But even after giving it some, I can't hear the pump if I go listen at the bumper, and I also can;t hear it run after the ignition is turned off for 5 secs like I thought it was supposed to.

Anyway, driving home from the stealer, I pulled up next to a black EVO8 with an exhaust ...... what luck. I got the jump on him by a car length off the line, and up to only about 50, and then we slow down for a round about, we come out even of the roundabout together, and then it was amazing how we were EXACTLy equal up until about 160kmh, when I backed off.

So I guess the IC pump is actually working

The engine is still completly stock.... pullies etc are going on in the next week or so.
I have an '02 and it doesn't run all the time. After you drive the car it will stay on varying times -- sometimes as long as 20 seconds after you turn it off, others only a few seconds. If you just start it cold and turn it off after a minute it won't run at all. If you start it while warm and shut it off after a minute, it stays on for a few seconds. I had the dealer check it and it's fine.

It just varies per engine temperature. The "myth" that it should run all the time after shutting off the car is internet baloney. Sounds like yours works fine. I wouldn't worry.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM

C32
So is there a way to wire it to run all the time ?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
You have an 02 so it already runs all the time. And by all the time, I mean while the car is ON. You obviously can't have and don't want the ic pump running 24/7/365.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by jgsx
You have an 02 so it already runs all the time. And by all the time, I mean while the car is ON. You obviously can't have and don't want the ic pump running 24/7/365.
incorrect...i found this out this weekend when i was upgrading my intercooler reservoir...

i got everything hooked up and cranked up the car and there was no water circulating...

so i turned the car off, double checked everything, then turned it back on...still no circulation

so i revved up the motor and it started to circulate...

i think it only does it when there is a need for it either based on rpm or temp...at least that is what mine was doing
Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM
SPONSOR

yes, but you really don't need to...alot of the lightning guys will do this on their truck, but it really only helps in drag racing...your I/C pump will circulate under most circumstances...
Old 04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
incorrect...i found this out this weekend when i was upgrading my intercooler reservoir...

i got everything hooked up and cranked up the car and there was no water circulating...

so i turned the car off, double checked everything, then turned it back on...still no circulation

i think it only does it when there is a need for it either based on rpm or temp...at least that is what mine was doing
Hmm, ok. According to the evosport documentation for the reservoir upgrade, the pump should run at all times while the car is on on 02s, and you're supposed to check that fluid is circulating just by turning the car on. That could be incorrect, I've never check it myself. I was just going by what I read in the doc

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Not an AMG :(
Same here when I changed my pump (thanks 1FAST!) - I have an '02 late model (or at least I think June '02 is 'late').
Old 04-11-2007, 06:29 PM
SPONSOR

Hmm, ok. According to the evosport documentation for the reservoir upgrade, the pump should run at all times while the car is on on 02s, and you're supposed to check that fluid is circulating just by turning the car on. That could be incorrect, I've never check it myself. I was just going by what I read in the doc
right, i was in agreement with what evosport said until i found out differently from first hand experience on my car...

just want to make sure we are dispensing the correct information for people to read on the forum...
Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
right, i was in agreement with what evosport said until i found out differently from first hand experience on my car...

just want to make sure we are dispensing the correct information for people to read on the forum...
Thanks. It's nice to see the recent boost in c32 activity.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Almost a Member!

mine is almost silent too

this is why i wanna have a meet up in the bay area

I would love to listen to someone elses car after a run and hear what happens when they turn it off

you never really know till u hear another c32 ic pump
Old 04-12-2007, 12:42 AM
SPONSOR

Thanks. It's nice to see the recent boost in c32 activity.

i agree! i am excited about all of the possibilities with this car right now...definitely the best car i have ever owned
Old 04-12-2007, 07:08 AM

'02 C32; '02 M5; '08 328i (US)
Newbie question.. Sorry What exactly does IC pump sounds like when it's running? I can hear water running sound from the cabin whenever I give it a bit more or from time to time it sounds like water circulating.. It's pretty loud and I thought my heater coil is going bad and planning on having it replaced next week.. Could it be just the IC liquid circulating?? Thanks :P
Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by M5CLK
Newbie question.. Sorry What exactly does IC pump sounds like when it's running? I can hear water running sound from the cabin whenever I give it a bit more or from time to time it sounds like water circulating.. It's pretty loud and I thought my heater coil is going bad and planning on having it replaced next week.. Could it be just the IC liquid circulating?? Thanks :P

i hear this as well...more when the heater is on than any other time...as far as i can tell, it is normal...i have not been able to find any problems or leaks, just sounds like a little air in the system for some reason...
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 AM

'02 C32; '02 M5; '08 328i (US)
Yeah, I had my coolant bleeded 3 times coz of this but couldn't find any leak and I doubt there's any air anymore.. The shop I went to told me they suspect it's the heater coil minor leak and I'm really not sure about having the whole dash removed to check...

But it bothers me quite a bit coz it doesn't sound normal.. And not sure if it's my imagination, I can smell faint coolant smell as well So all C32 have this water circulating sound all the time?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:54 PM

C32
Thanks for the great info everyone ...... I am going to be pulling my front bumper off next weekend to do the washer resevoiur mod ........ I wanted to have a play with making the pump run all the time when the car is on, has anyone wired it up like that as yet ..... if so, how did you do it ?

I was thinking of disconnecting the IC pump power and then running it off a wire to the fuse box, connected to a fuse which is on when the car is on ..... any suggestions on this.... or any better ways of playing with it ?

Last edited by steve_bris; 04-12-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by M5CLK
It makes a "whirring" noise, like an electric motor. You won't hear it when the car is on, only after the car is shut off and you are exiting the vehicle. I've never heard liquid circulating on mine. That is probably another issue.