C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Replaced SC Clutch bearing last night ~ pics/video

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by PeterTheFish
Well, it looks like the Houston Bearing site is down (might just be the 1/1 renewal blues), and I'm encountering the dreaded supercharger clutch bearing failure. Although I've read that normally this quiets down when the S/C engages, here in the cold MN afternoons it sounds like a puppy being kicked when the supercharger engages at low RPMs. It's too cold to wrench around here, so I'm taking it to the local indie tomorrow AM to confirm.

To get to the point, it looks like 32BG05S1-2DST is the Nachi substitute for the DAC32550023, which is again a substitute for the OEM NSK 32BD45. I was able to find it at bearingsdirect.com, and wanted to share the wealth. If nothing else, seems to be another source. Once I verify tomorrow I'll let you know how ordering / installation / lifespan goes.
'PeterTheFish' !! - awesome name! Do you drink a lot?

Seriously though - thanks for the information. Do you by any chance know what the rpm limit is for this bearing?
Any chance you can ask them when you order?

[Edit] Just saw this guy's thread - he's selling the DAC32550023 bearing.

Last edited by boohooramblers; 01-07-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
I found a place out of California that I found mine ~6 months ago. I will try and find them again.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
'PeterTheFish' !! - awesome name! Do you drink a lot?

Seriously though - thanks for the information. Do you by any chance know what the rpm limit is for this bearing?
Any chance you can ask them when you order?

[Edit] Just saw this guy's thread - he's selling the DAC32550023 bearing.
Thanks BooHoo! I've been known to enjoy the occasional frosty beverage which is definately where the name comes from.

I'm actually hoping I can order via phone w/ Houston Bearing. If not, I will definately check the speed rating on these. But I think that in the absence of an OEM bearing, I'm going to have to be content with these being a wearable part.

I did see the other thread, but don't run K&N's so it's about $100 of stuff I don't need...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM

02 C32 AMG
Update

So I confirmed this morning that the S/C bearing is indeed failing, and taking the two nearby idlers with it. Oddly, the S/C bearing is relatively quiet, but it has a pretty substantial amount of play in it.

I did call Houston Bearing and placed an order for a couple of the DACs to be overnighted - had to send in credit card details via email () which I'm not a big fan of, but it is what it is. Hopefully I'll get this and the two pulleys taken care of early next week, in time for my cross country sprint to the East coast - weary of running 14 hours at a time on a dying bearing...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Well I finally got around to replacing my noisy bearing in the SC Clutch. Thanks to TopGun32's post, I obtained the proper bearing needed. Last night I decided to take everything apart and tackle the job. It was very easy, and only took about an hour. Plus I got a chance to use my new shop press for the first time. I took some pictures, along with video of the before and after noise. You wont believe how noisy it was, the bearing was very bad when I took it out. The video is only 2mb, so its a quick download. Thanks to those who gave me advice on getting the job done.

Before & After Video

Hey the original pics and videos are not showing repost links and pictures please.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bif powell
I just fixed the s/c bearing on my AMG - easy and fun repair, my first time using a press. On that note - I now have a 12-ton press

~9MB
http://www.bifpowell.com/videos/sc_bearing.wmv
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by PeterTheFish
So I confirmed this morning that the S/C bearing is indeed failing, and taking the two nearby idlers with it. Oddly, the S/C bearing is relatively quiet, but it has a pretty substantial amount of play in it.

I did call Houston Bearing and placed an order for a couple of the DACs to be overnighted - had to send in credit card details via email () which I'm not a big fan of, but it is what it is. Hopefully I'll get this and the two pulleys taken care of early next week, in time for my cross country sprint to the East coast - weary of running 14 hours at a time on a dying bearing...
Thanks for the info

I have a new SC pulley since late 2008 so no need to replace but good to see its available and easy to change.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I need to change mine again... car hit 70k now.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
are there any tell-tale signs or certain sounds I should be looking for or listening for to determine if the bearing is going bad?

also, where exactly does this bearing go? it isnt actually on the s/c pulley is it?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by jturkel
are there any tell-tale signs or certain sounds I should be looking for or listening for to determine if the bearing is going bad?

also, where exactly does this bearing go? it isnt actually on the s/c pulley is it?
ignore the exhaust note, the loud grind you hear in my video is the bearing went bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAcmJ...eature=channel

the rest, just scroll up.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 AM

C32
I replaced the SC bearing yesterday but havent started the car yet as I dropped the guide pulley and broke the plastic ..... doh. getting a new one tomorrow.

So is it ok if the SC clutch and the clutch plate touch a tiny little bit when I spin them, and I mean only a tiny little bit .... will they find the correct position after it is engaged a few times ?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
there should be some shims that were there keeping a very thin distance so they dont touch. they should not touch, you might have misplaced one when you took it off.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 AM

C32
Hmmmmm, I left all the shims on the shaft. The clutch definatly spins freely, it is just the tiniest touch .... should I try and get another shim, or start it and it will readjust itself by like a tenth of a millimeter when it is engaged ?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
code3 directions state there should at least be a .20-.30mm distance.

http://www.code3performance.com/C32/...y_install.html

I would try to find another shim.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM

2002 SLK32
I have a 2002 SLK32, just checking but this is the same powertrain (thus same bearing part number) as the C32's you are discussing?

I am 99.9% sure it is the clutch bearing. Anything above 1800 RPM (in drive) and the supercharger is quiet and sounds great. In park or reverse, if I rev it up the noise remains since the clutch on the SC doesn't engage in Park or Reverse.

I am hoping to make this about a $20 bearing and find a shop to press the bearing out for another $50.00 versus pay a repairshop $1150 for the replacement SC Clutch Pulley!! I have seen Code3 makes a performance pulley for $600 and someone claimed swapping it out was 15 minutes?!? Is it that easy to take this pulley/clutch assembly off?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by heyamgslk
I have a 2002 SLK32, just checking but this is the same powertrain (thus same bearing part number) as the C32's you are discussing?

I am 99.9% sure it is the clutch bearing. Anything above 1800 RPM (in drive) and the supercharger is quiet and sounds great. In park or reverse, if I rev it up the noise remains since the clutch on the SC doesn't engage in Park or Reverse.

I am hoping to make this about a $20 bearing and find a shop to press the bearing out for another $50.00 versus pay a repairshop $1150 for the replacement SC Clutch Pulley!! I have seen Code3 makes a performance pulley for $600 and someone claimed swapping it out was 15 minutes?!? Is it that easy to take this pulley/clutch assembly off?
Yes, code 3 does make a pulley for that and it is that easy to swap. The first time, it might be more like half an hour. You can also get the bearing here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-M...#ht_602wt_1165

It's 50 bucks and he had it to my door in two days. The machine shop down the road from me pressed the old one out and the new one in for $10.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going

So you're saying you have a stock pulley and think it's the bearing. If you stop the clutch (not the pulley) from spinning the pulley bearing will keep turning and if it still makes noise, that's the problem.
The Nachi and the Houston Bearing are about $27.00 total. I'd get the NSK (Japan and not China made) for $50.00 total.

You will need help when turning the Belt tensioner counterclockwise to loosen the belt. Someone to turn the belt tensioner as you slip the belt off and vice versa. You will need the proper tools, torx wrenches.
Plan on replacing this bearing every 40K miles if you're lucky.
I got my trusted mechanic 'Jose' to remove and press fit the bearing for $5.00.
This DIY should not take more than 45 minutes unless you end up breaking stuff in the process.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM

2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by 60n5pt1
So you're saying you have a stock pulley and think it's the bearing. If you stop the clutch (not the pulley) from spinning the pulley bearing will keep turning and if it still makes noise, that's the problem.
The Nachi and the Houston Bearing are about $27.00 total. I'd get the NSK (Japan and not China made) for $50.00 total.

You will need help when turning the Belt tensioner counterclockwise to loosen the belt. Someone to turn the belt tensioner as you slip the belt off and vice versa. You will need the proper tools, torx wrenches.
Plan on replacing this bearing every 40K miles if you're lucky.
I got my trusted mechanic 'Jose' to remove and press fit the bearing for $5.00.
This DIY should not take more than 45 minutes unless you end up breaking stuff in the process.
Thanks 60n5pt1;

So you do recommend the $50.00 NSK (OEM) over the 32BG05S1-2DST Nachi from BearingsDirect.com? I do have Male Torx's for my ratchet, but I need to get some torx sockets (but I need to have those anyway if I plan to work on German cars).

Can I ask another stupid question. Where is the belt tensioner? I wonder if it is the same location on the SLK32 as the C32. I thought I would loosen the torx on the alternator to create slack in the belt. I am assuming once I have some slack in the belt, I hold the clutch housing next to the supercharger from spinning and loosen the standard hex-head bolt on the center of the pulley and then I can slide the whole clutch/pulley assembly straight forward. I can see a bearing retaining ring on the OD of the bearing (pulley) and the press fit that I will need the shop to do is on the id that bolts to the SC. Right?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 PM

2005 E55
Thanks 60n5pt1;

So you do recommend the $50.00 NSK (OEM) over the 32BG05S1-2DST Nachi from BearingsDirect.com? I do have Male Torx's for my ratchet, but I need to get some torx sockets (but I need to have those anyway if I plan to work on German cars).

Can I ask another stupid question. Where is the belt tensioner? I wonder if it is the same location on the SLK32 as the C32. I thought I would loosen the torx on the alternator to create slack in the belt. I am assuming once I have some slack in the belt, I hold the clutch housing next to the supercharger from spinning and loosen the standard hex-head bolt on the center of the pulley and then I can slide the whole clutch/pulley assembly straight forward. I can see a bearing retaining ring on the OD of the bearing (pulley) and the press fit that I will need the shop to do is on the id that bolts to the SC. Right?

Thanks.
I've never needed two people to do it, Just use your right had to turn the tensioner pulley to take tension off the belt and slip the belt of with the other hand. You'll see, the hex bolt on the tensioner doesn't loosen, The whole pulley moves. As for the bearing /retaining ring etc, it will be obvious when you get it off. Attached is the directions for the Code 3 pulley. The same thing holds true for the stock pulley.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Code 3 pulley install.pdf (567.5 KB, 374 views)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 PM

2002 SLK32
Thanks... Yes, I found a video that shows which pulley is the tensioner at:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...er-pulley.html

My tensioner is a torx not a hex, but I will have someone around if I need a third hand. Guess I might need to put this off till next weekend if I am going to order the $50 one from the ebay seller in Taiwan, I was going to get the Nachi one from a local guy for $28 plus tax. Just got back from Sears with my set of "external" torx sockets since previously I only had the standard torx heads for my rachets from doing a brake job on it a few months ago.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 PM

2005 E55
Thanks... Yes, I found a video that shows which pulley is the tensioner at:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...er-pulley.html

My tensioner is a torx not a hex, but I will have someone around if I need a third hand. Guess I might need to put this off till next weekend if I am going to order the $50 one from the ebay seller in Taiwan, I was going to get the Nachi one from a local guy for $28 plus tax. Just got back from Sears with my set of "external" torx sockets since previously I only had the standard torx heads for my rachets from doing a brake job on it a few months ago.
Yeah, hex was a mistype. All the sizes you need are in the attachment above. I don't have an E11, so i either use an e10 or e12 (I forget which) for the tensioner. It works fine for me without any stripping.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
Hey guys,

I removed my SC pulley and noticed something that doesn't look right. In the picture below, there seems to be some plastic rings missing. Does anyone know where I can get these? I'm sure I've driven the car without them for a while, so what damage could them missing potentially cause?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Replaced SC Clutch bearing last night ~ pics/video-dsc00288a.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 AM

2002 SLK32
Just a quick thanks to all that helped answer my questions. I got the bearing from BearingsDirect.com, the external Torx sockets from Sears and found a local automotive machine shop open on Saturday that pressed the bearing out and put the new one in for $12.00. Just completed this $1400 (replacing whole bearing assembly with labor) to $500 (to get a mechanic to pull the pulley and replace the bearing like I just did) by myself for $58.00 including the torx sockets I now have. You guys just helped me save $500 to $1300!!!! Great website! The only problem I had was getting the pulley off without a wheel puller... think I will use my savings and go down to Harbor Freight and buy me a wheel puller for the next time I have a use for one.

She's purring like a kitten now at idle. Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM

2005 E55
think I will use my savings and go down to Harbor Freight and buy me a wheel puller for the next time I have a use for one.

She's purring like a kitten now at idle. Thanks again!
Just buy a rubber banded oil filter wrench. Works like a dream. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Pc-...#ht_801wt_1165
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
Replacing my SC bearing tonight. It is on there pretty good. Should this thing slide off or can I wedge it off by sticking a screw driver in between the pulley and the clutch? Is there a trick to getting it off? Yes, I have the bolt, clip ring and washer off. Thx.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Replaced SC Clutch bearing last night ~ pics/video