C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Steering and suspension 'creeks'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02C32AMG
Steering and suspension 'creeks'

FYI, my C32 had a number of squeeks and creeks that were really annoying. First, my steering wheel made creeking sound when it turned. Secondly, my front suspension made a squeeking noise when going over small bumps or imperfections in the road. I took it to the dealer and they were actually able to fix it. They said that no parts were needed and that it was just a lot of labor tightening up various things (they didn't mention what they tightened).

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not complaining since the dealer was able to fix the noises and it was all covered under my MB-CPO warranty - just curious if this is common for W203s.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by Lagunatic
FYI, my C32 had a number of squeeks and creeks that were really annoying. First, my steering wheel made creeking sound when it turned. Secondly, my front suspension made a squeeking noise when going over small bumps or imperfections in the road. I took it to the dealer and they were actually able to fix it. They said that no parts were needed and that it was just a lot of labor tightening up various things (they didn't mention what they tightened).

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not complaining since the dealer was able to fix the noises and it was all covered under my MB-CPO warranty - just curious if this is common for W203s.
Yes, this is common, it's the front end bushings and arms that go out. I had my bushings and arms replaced under warranty. I have never heard of them just tightening up bolts etc.. The bushings should be replaced!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
haven't noticed any squeeks or cracking noises yet... but i do got an issue with either the ESP or power steering pump/motor... just sounds like the pump is at a really high pump and makes a noise like the motor is cold goes away when i drive the car and it warms up... but its loud when i turn hard... i had this same sound from my Evo 8 but it was the transfer case(AWD issues) dont know... kind of worried if something were to fail while on the Highway
Old 04-27-2007, 07:36 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Were the squeaks in dry weather only?

Apparently the bushes have been redesigned with end caps that stop them leaking or drying out, IIRC. Someone else may be able to ellaborate further.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by Lagunatic

I'm hoping this is my issue. I really drive hard, but I also had some VERY hard autoxing last year and it developed all kinds of creaks and squeaks and stuff. I think I'm going to track down some list of torque specs for various suspension components and just spend the day checking the tightness of stuff. I don't have anything obvious, that I can find wrong.

See: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=clunk

and: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=clunk

Any advice on which fasteners to check first would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

02' C32 Amg
Exact same problem recently resolved. I had my sway arm bushings and control arm bushings replaced. It was the most annoying when it occurred...but since it rains a lot in seattle, dry weather isn't much of an issue.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM

02C32AMG
Originally Posted by amgmark
Yes, this is common, it's the front end bushings and arms that go out. I had my bushings and arms replaced under warranty. I have never heard of them just tightening up bolts etc.. The bushings should be replaced!
The bushings and control arms were replaced last summer so they should still be OK. I agree, it worries me that they just tightened up some 'stuff' and the noise went away..
Old 05-02-2007, 10:52 AM

02C32AMG
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
Were the squeaks in dry weather only?

Apparently the bushes have been redesigned with end caps that stop them leaking or drying out, IIRC. Someone else may be able to ellaborate further.
Spring weather in Chicago varies a lot day-to-day so I can't isolate the sound to any specific weather. I can say that I have heard the noise off-and-on since last summer and continuing through winter.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM

02C32AMG
Originally Posted by cheungster86
Exact same problem recently resolved. I had my sway arm bushings and control arm bushings replaced. It was the most annoying when it occurred...but since it rains a lot in seattle, dry weather isn't much of an issue.
My bushings and control arms were replaced last summer due to this same issue with squeeks. The noise got better, but never fully went away. It's gone now that things were tightened up, but I will pay very close attention to see if it returns.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 AM

M5
Originally Posted by edtv82
haven't noticed any squeeks or cracking noises yet... but i do got an issue with either the ESP or power steering pump/motor... just sounds like the pump is at a really high pump and makes a noise like the motor is cold goes away when i drive the car and it warms up... but its loud when i turn hard... i had this same sound from my Evo 8 but it was the transfer case(AWD issues) dont know... kind of worried if something were to fail while on the Highway
If it sounds like a moaning/grinding noise when you turn the steering wheel, your steering fluids may be leaking somewhere. I have this exact problem and the dealer will be replacing the steering pump and rack and pinion.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 PM

02C32AMG
Originally Posted by ultraman206
If it sounds like a moaning/grinding noise when you turn the steering wheel, your steering fluids may be leaking somewhere. I have this exact problem and the dealer will be replacing the steering pump and rack and pinion.
Well, the steering wheel noise is back! Damn, I thought they had it fixed. It was fine for about a week but the sound is back!

The sound is coming from within the cabin, right behind the actual steering wheel on the column. It is a hard sound to describe, but its like there is a metal cable rubbing on the inside of the steering wheel when it's turned. More high pitched, ratcheting sound... not a moan. Looks like I'll be taking it back to the dealer. This time I'm telling them to replace whatever's broken and to not just 'tighten' the damn thing. Argh!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

C320
Welcome to my world!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/191174-more-suspension-issues.html
Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I think I have this steering wheel issue as well. Originally I thought it was that I hadnt' secured my Spring Booster and it was hitting the steering column behind the dash there, but after securing (and getting a better look at it) I see that it couldn't have been causing the issue. Seems to be when I turn full-left more than right.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:38 AM

02C32AMG
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I think I have this steering wheel issue as well. Originally I thought it was that I hadnt' secured my Spring Booster and it was hitting the steering column behind the dash there, but after securing (and getting a better look at it) I see that it couldn't have been causing the issue. Seems to be when I turn full-left more than right.
Hey Bif, 600 posts... congrats!

Sounds similar. The ratcheting noise happens the first 1/4 turn of the wheel in either direction for me. I am taking it back to the dealer next week and will report back here on what they find.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:44 PM

02C32AMG
Fixed!!!

OK, finally found time to take the C32 in to the dealer to get the steering column and suspension creaks fixed. Got the car back today (they had it for 1 day) and everything is fixed.

Suspension noise: Turns out there were two bolts (one on each side, left and right) of the swaybars that were seized. They drilled out the bolts, replaced them with new ones and installed new bushings. The creaking noise from the front suspension is gone!

Steering wheel noise: The steering wheel 'ratcheting' sound when turning was fixed by replacing the steering box.

All work was covered under my MB Star Warranty at no charge.

For the record, all work was done at Mercedes-Benz of Westmont (western suburb of Chicago). Friendly, fast service. My best experience yet with a dealer service dept.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Glad everything worked out!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Glad you got sorted out mate!

I have had the same problem, with squeeks which were sorted out at the dealer under warranty that turned out to be the bushes which were replaced... however i have noticed that when reversing slowly down my driveway as i go over the driveway lip and the car very slightly rocks side to side in the front suspension there is the harder groaning noise if i can describee like that! which i think might be a loose bolts issue but when i first reported the issue at the last service they just fixed the bushes and could not find anything else. susppose now they need to go in and dig alittle deeper.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 AM

02C32AMG
It took a couple visits to the dealer for the to figure out the suspension noise problem. Fortunately, each visit was covered under warranty so the only cost to me was my time. The noise I was experiencing can best be described as the creaking noise made when walking up an old wooden staircase. The sound happened when the suspension both contracted and expanded, over large or small bumps.

If you are still under warranty, I would encourage you to keep going back to the dealer. In the process of them troubleshooting my problem the dealer replaced virtually my entire front suspension so at least I shouldn't experience any more suspension issues. Hey, gotta look at the bright side.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Banned

So far, I have no complaints in my C32. It’s running very well. The parts are tough. I make it a point to check every single part so as to avoid any problem in the road. Hopefully, I haven’t had any trouble with it during rush. I had replaced its Mercedes shock last week and I’m fortunately enough that it’s only the part that I needed to purchase for it this month.