C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

What else besides the I/C pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
What else besides the I/C pump?

OK,... got the C32 outta shop Thursday. Lot's of warranty work done, including I/C pump. Last night I noticed that the S/C was going AWOL on me again. Is there anything else that would play a role in "the missing Super Charger" saga other than the I/C pump? Or is it safe to assume that the pump they put on it might have been wacked? It ran fine up until around 11:30 last nite, then it started shutting down.

Another question: is there a way to read Air Intake Temp from the cluster? Does the water temp readout ONLY reflects the temp of the engine coolant?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:35 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by ericpd
OK,... got the C32 outta shop Thursday. Lot's of warranty work done, including I/C pump. Last night I noticed that the S/C was going AWOL on me again. Is there anything else that would play a role in "the missing Super Charger" saga other than the I/C pump? Or is it safe to assume that the pump they put on it might have been wacked? It ran fine up until around 11:30 last nite, then it started shutting down.

Another question: is there a way to read Air Intake Temp from the cluster? Does the water temp readout ONLY reflects the temp of the engine coolant?

Thanks!
Eric - What were the temps outside? Were you doing any runs, or normal driving? Does it cut out at random or at a specific RPM / Speed?

There is no way to read air intake temps from the cluster, but you can buy an OBDII reader with logging functions. I think sears as one..
Old 06-16-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Eric - What were the temps outside? Were you doing any runs, or normal driving? Does it cut out at random or at a specific RPM / Speed?

There is no way to read air intake temps from the cluster, but you can buy an OBDII reader with logging functions. I think sears as one..
To busy cussing & spitting last nite to pay any attention to drive pattern as it relates to shut downs. Just got back in to see if I can predict or avoid shut down based on driving. Here's what I came up with,... see if it makes any sense or if stuff is just in my head.

Highway driving at around 60 to 70 mph for more than 10 minutes tends to make the S/C unavailable if you apply full throttle. I/m aware of the 3,000 rpm limit, but 60 mph ain't nowhere near 3k. Same with backroad crusing at 50 to 60. Also, when I come off the exit ramp and apply throttle to merge into traffic,... I'm driving a C320. Get to a good 2 minute red light and start off on green and it's back,... I'm driving a C32 again. I did notice that from cold, you need at least 30 minutes of drive time before it goes missing,... no matter what the driving style or pattern.

I noticed they put a new pully and clutch assembly on the S/C (very quite compared to before the visit,... all whin, no chatter) and a new serp belt, but neither of these three things in addition to the I/C pump, are keeping my S/C from going AWOL.

I called my SA this morning and I'm scheduled for a service visit Monday morning. Maybe they'll find the REAL fix this time.

EIDT:

Oh,.. almost forgot. It's about 88 here today and abot mid 70's last nite.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:06 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

C
What you are describing sounds exactly like IC pump to me. Get it straight back to them I reckon!!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gaz
What you are describing sounds exactly like IC pump to me. Get it straight back to them I reckon!!
Yeah,... that's what I'm thinking. Either they put a bad one in, or something in the electrical system is blowin'em out as fast as they're put in. Straight back to them,.. just like you said!

I wonder if there's a fuse or breaker in the circuit assigned to the I/C pump?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:29 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

C
From memory, I think there is a fuse...
Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by gaz
From memory, I think there is a fuse...
Ok,... just returned from dealership. They say nothing is wrong with the Intercooler Pump. I'm stumped!

I have the feeling that the air they're blowing at me is hotter than the air my Super Charger is pounding into my engine. But I just don't know what to say to them. They drive the car up the street and back down and conclude that there's no problem.

I'm thinking my next move is to find another dealer to look at this! Anyone agree with that? Or is it a better move to just stay the course with the current dealer?

This is Mercedes Care Extended warranty work!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

C
This sounds like hot air to me!! They will need to do more than a quick run up and down the street. Can you get them to put a tech in the car with diag machine while you drive?? They should then be able to monitor the intake air temp. Alternatively you could take out the arch liner on the front right wheel well and put a hand on the pump. After a run you should be able to feel it running with your hand.

Just re-read that - I don't mean put your hand in there whilst driving!!!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 PM

A slow Tahoe!
I lucked out today. I dropped off my 03' to have the I/C pump changed and told them not to flash my ECU, and if this pump didn't do the trick I will buy another one (CM90) and they can put that one on, the SA agreed. He also told me I could do some mods and the warranty would stay in tack as long as I always come to him for my service. I think he's going to be best freind for a long time to come.